BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees Mentor Group - VERY CLOSED!!! Sorry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 84

2012-12-20 10:27 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: Mad Manatees Mentor Group - VERY CLOSED!!! Sorry!

WELCOME to the Mad Manatees! We are all mentors AND "mentorees," which sounds like manatees--hence our name.

Important Notes: Any level of experience (or none) and goals are welcome. Our group has brand-new triathletes, multiple-Ironman finishers, folks who have been at or are moving toward the highest levels of endurance sport, and everyone in between. Our training philosophies, gear, and methods are similarly varied. What we share is a commitment to health--in all its aspects, physical, social, mental, spiritual, nutritional, et-al--and to each other. Every edition of the Manatees (10th season now?) is a very active group. We ask that you frequently check in, be accountable (even just to admit you're procrastinating or overwhelmed), be supportive, and be passionate about wanting health through sport. Keeping up your training log here on BT and having it open to other group members is mandatory. (If you don't know how to do all that, we are happy to help you get set up). We know how BT works and how to guide you through its wealth of resources.

ALL FORMER MANATEES ARE ALSO WELCOME.

We are ready to immediately throw new Manatees into the pod.

I'm TriAya / Yanti (officially the bureaucrat/logistics person. As I said, we all offer support/encouragement and whatever relevant informed advice and experience we have).  All of us will be posting our bios.

IF YOU WANT TO JOIN, PLEASE REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE AND THEN PUT UP A BIO AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Feel free to use a loose format (as mine is in the second post) or whatever you want from the format below.

We believe the journey is the reward, and look forward to having you as a fellow traveler.

NAME: Your username / first name  

STORY: Who you are, why you want to triathlon, any athletic background/none

FAMILY STATUS: Family situation (single/partnered/family)  

CURRENT TRAINING: If/how you have been training so far

THIS YEAR'S RACES: If any

2013 RACES: If unsure, what kind you're looking at or your training goals

BODY COMPOSITION: any reshaping goals you have or achievements (weight reduction or otherwise)

Edited by TriAya 2012-12-23 12:08 AM

2012-12-20 10:50 AM
in reply to: #4542736

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees Mentor Group - OPEN

YANTI (TriAya)

Growing up in Indonesia, I swam with the national and high school teams. In the U.S, I coached/competed in martial arts at the world level, but after an injury became sedentary and eventually morbidly obese. Fast forward … a student suckered me into doing a charity marathon—then I learned how to ride a bike and picked swimming back up! After 15 years in the States, I've been back in Indonesia for 3.5 years, mostly on the paradise island of Bali, where I've started a triathlon club and coaching.

Family status: I'm 36, strange and single (the two can't possibly be related?), have a black Lab who's smarter than I am and trains the other dog and cats to outsmart me, too. We call it the Funny Farm here. I'm also often at my parents' home in the capital, Jakarta (1.5hr plane flight) since they're old and their lives require a great deal of management. 

Current training: After taking a one-week "break" (consisting of tromping everywhere doing touristy stuff) after getting to 216km (out of 226km) in Ironman Western Australia, I am back into peak Ironman training (15-20 hrs/wk) to get ready for Ironman New Zealand in 10 weeks. 

2012 Races:
March - Ironman Melbourne
June - Bali International Triathlon
July - Bali 5K Ocean Swim
December - Ironman Western Australia

2013 Races:
March - Ironman New Zealand
April - Laguna Lang Co Triathlon, Vietnam (1.8km swim / 62km cycle / 12km run)
May - Koeln 12K Lake Swim, Germany (or maybe 4km swim / 20km aquathlon)
June - Bali International Triathlon
July - Bali 10K Ocean Swim
(not sure about the rest until ... )
December - Ironman Western Australia

Body Composition: I'm down about 150 lbs from my peak weight, but I've been down more, and I'd like to be again (especially for hauling myself around Ironman-length courses).

Experience, encouragement, empathy, and EXTREME FUN are what I offer you. I've done dozens of endurance races all over the world. I also worked as a researcher, writer/editor, and trainer for a global fitness and sports company for several years, so I'm pretty keyed into sports physiology and endurance coaching. I have the dubious distinction of being BT's top poster, but I also read all the forum threads, BT news, articles, programs, lots of blogs, and other endurance forums, books, news, and research.

2012-12-20 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

OK, here is the bio and such:

cdban66/Chris, amongst other names

STORY: I had been somewhat athletic in High School, playing soccer, beach volleyball and basketball, but that was a long time ago. Marriage, two children, business ownership, and the general busyness of life just got in the way. A few years back I began going to the gym, lifting weights and such. Then, in late July, 2010, we had a family weight loss challenge. In order to lose (BTW, I did win the challenge), I began running. My youngest daughter suggested we run a race at Disney, so I began to prep for that and my oldest sister joined in as well. Before that race had happened, I began looking for more challenge/diversity, since I was enjoying the training. I had a friend who had been in tri’s a while back, he gave me his old bike and it grew from there. Now I am on the Health and Wellness committee at work, head up the work running group, and look forward to any chance to get outside and train.

STATUS: I am a 6’3”, 46 yr old male and I've been married for over 25 years. I have 2 girls, ages 22 and 24. My wife is the most wonderful person a man could have in his life and has been very supportive of this addition to my lifestyle.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently pushing my run in an effort to improve there. I am trying to run at least 5 times a week with a weekly mileage goal that will grow from my current 20 up to 25+ in the next few months.  I have found that I really enjoy trail running, so part of my training is done there every week. More than anything else, this has been about changing to a less sedentary lifestyle.

LAST YEAR: 2012 was a skinny racing, or should I say participating, year. I did a couple of races, but family obligations (there were many) took precedence this year, as they always do.  My hope is to see time improvement from last year, especially in the run, and advances in my overall endurance fitness.

2013 RACES: I am pointing to 2 races in Feb and March. After that, who knows. I'll probably do the local sprint tri in July and possibly hit an Oly and a couple of other sprints during the summer. Oh yeah, my wife and I may do the "Life’s a Beach Triathlon” which is a fun race for the second time.  And I intend to volunteer at Rev3 Venice again, as I had a great time doing that this past year.

BODY COMP: As I mentioned above, this all started as part of a family weight loss challenge. I started at 240 lbs. At my lowest I had reached 207, which felt low for me. Currently I am about 220, with a goal weight of 210+/- for race season.

I am very interested in health and wellness. I am not the fastest, nor will I ever be. I am supportive, upbeat, and really do want to be a better triathlete. I have questions and will hopefully have answers as well.

2012-12-20 12:25 PM

User image

Seattle

Adrienne (Asalzwed) Salty, hey you, whatever you want me to be …

Notes: I have always been involved in sports. But it was always the “weird” ones like hockey, pole vaulting and snowboarding. I raced boardercross between the ages of about 11 and 16,   (think motocross but on a snowboard and the rules being, “Anything goes except punches to the face but accidents happen.” ) pole vaulted in HS, played hockey in college. After college I was pretty overwhelmed by life and more or less stopped exercising, became depressed and generally unhappy with my life. I decided I needed to make some changes, specifically to my diet and become more active. I read everything I could get my hands on about nutrition and began logging my food and making changes. Also, a friend encouraged me to sign up for a triathlon. I began swimming, running and biking and discovered I really loved running. I found peace when I ran. Also, I loved how simple it was. I randomly won entry to a half marathon and REALLY became hooked. I have now been running for about a year and a half and have set some pretty lofty goals of qualifying for the Olympic Trials Marathon in 2016.

Family status: I’m 28 and my partner and I own a home in West Seattle. We have a pug and 3 cats (who are all grey by coincidence.) I am a retail designer for a larger corporation in between all the running I do Smile I heavily believe in a balanced life. Although I am very dedicated to running I always make time for friends, family and having a good time in general. This is both extremely important AND extremely challenging. 

Current training: I’m in full on marathon training where I am running between 70-85 miles a week. I bicycle commute and swim occasionally but that will be limited until this cycle is over (April.) I have some decisions to make in regard to going to AG Nationals. ALSO I’m planning on climbing Mt. Rainier ( 14,210’ ) sooooo we shall see if I can fit it all in

2012 Races:

January-Ragnar Miami

February- Cupid Undie Run, Love em or Leave em 5K

May- Bloomsday 12K, Rock ‘n’ Roll Portland Half-Marathon

July- Light at the end of the tunnel marathon

August- Danskin Sprint Tri

September- Iron Girl 5K, Magnuson 10K

October- Portland Half-Marathon, Salty’s Half-Marathon

November- Mustache Dache 5K

December- Jingle Bell Run 5K

2013 Races:

February- 3K Snowshoe Race

Lake Sammamish Half-Marathon (?)

April- Boston Marathon

May- Bloomsday 12K

June- Seattle Rock ‘n’ Roll Half-Marathon

July- Mt. Rainier Summit

August- AG Olympic Distance National Championship (WI) or Danskin Sprint Triathlon

Fall Marathon TBD

Body Composition: Since I decided I needed to make some changes in my life I have lost about 40 pounds and have gotten my body fat percentage down to about 18%

I can offer you no-nonsense advice. Actually, I can give you a lot of nonsense as well but that is a separate category. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2012-12-20 12:29 PM
2012-12-20 12:56 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

ARTEMIS (Jen)

STORY: I started off as a swimmer in high school, went to college and got lazy.  I decided in 2004 that I wanted to do triathlons, learned how to run, and finished my first race in 2005.  Since then, I've done more tris, and lots of running races (all the way up to a half marathon).  I had a baby girl (E) in December 2011 and am currently trying to get back to the levels I was at before pregnancy.  I've also battles a lot of injuries/illness (hypothyroidism, gallbladder removal, several stress fractures) through all of this, so I work on training smart without getting injured.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm 31, married, and have a one year old daughter and two cats.  My life gets pretty crazy, but I am thankful it is not nearly as crazy as Yanti's. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently using Hal Higdon's beginner 1/2 marathon plan to train for my March half-marathon

2012 RACES:
June - 5 mile obstacle run
July - 2 5ks
September - 4 mile run
October - 10k
November - 8k, 10k

2013 RACES:
January - Frostbite 15k
March - Shamrock Half Marathon
April - Color Me Rad 5k
Summer - sprint tri
August - USAT Sprint Nationals
October - Full Marathon (either Columbus or Chicago)

BODY COMPOSITION: I'm trying to lose baby weight and just excess weight.  I've lost about 15 pounds from my heaviest while pregnant.  I'd still love to lose about 40 - 50 pounds in the long term.

2012-12-20 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4542792

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

NAME: Your jmkizer / Janyne

STORY:  I'm 45, married (it will be 20 years this March!) with one dog, Emma.  We live near Raleigh, NC.  I've lived in the Raleigh area since 1990.  Before that I lived, in order of appearance, in Newfoundland; Milwaukee; Wappingers Falls, NY; Waterloo, IA; Ramsey, NJ; and Shippensburg, PA.  I ran cross country in high school and college and then "took a break."  You know, got married, stopped paying attention to my weight, etc.  Then someone gave me a picture of me and my dog.  I looked at it and tried to identify that fat person with my beautiful puppy!  No way!  Started riding bikes.  Stopped eating junk. Started riding bikes a lot.  Decided to run some.  Joined a gym with a pool and decided that I should swim too.  Wait, Lisa did an ironman?  I'm a better athlete than Lisa!  I can do an ironman...

CURRENT TRAINING:  Prep for Myrtle Beach Marathon in February and Gator Half iron distance triathlon in March.

2012 RACES:

• 26.2 with Donna
  • Wrightsville Beach half marathon
  • Raven Rock Ramble 100 mile bike ride
  • 3 Mountain Madness bike ride
  • 5280 Open Water Swim
  • Full Vineman iron distance triathlon
  • Bike MS bike ride
  • Wilmington YMCA sprint triathlon
  • City of Oaks half marathon
  • Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8k

2013 RACES:

• Myrtle Beach Marathon
  • Gator Half tri
  • Beach2Battleship full iron distance tri
  • Several 100 mile and 100k rides, as training permits

BODY COMPOSITION:  Keep it up!

2012-12-20 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Hi, my name is TJ and I am addicted to triathlon, *hi TJ* (rrrunner), and I'm a proud Manatee

I was the kid in school who wasn't good at ANY sports, especially dodgeball. I was always the last one chosen for a team (except when I dated a football player in HS). I got married and had two wonderful kids (I'll get to that later) and kept the baby weight for about 15 years. I am a 5'7" woman and I was about 185# at my heaviest. I got in to law enforcement and lost some of that weight, but was still heavy. About 5 years ago I decided to make some changes and started counting calories and running. That combination got me down to where I was happy and healthy.

In December of 2010 my dear sweet SIL asked me to do the 2011 Denver Tri for the Cure with her. At first I gave her a staunch "NO", but then decided to do it to keep her active and motivated. Well we did that race and I became a tri addict and she still only does that one tri each year. Laughing

I have been happily married to my DH for over 25 years and we have two wonderful sons, 23 and 22 (the 22 year old did a 70.3 this summer). DH, DS1 and I live in a suburb of Albuquerque where I can train (mostly) year round.

Current training - 100 days from Oceanside 70.3! I am using the Fink "Be Iron Fit" medium plan.

2012 races -
   Apr - Baker to Vegas (relay)
   May - Jay Benson Tri (sprint)
   Jun - Moab Tri (OLY)
   July - Santa Fe Tri (sprint)
   Aug - Tri for the Cure Denver (sprint)
   Sep - Hot Chocolate 15k
   Oct - Deserts Edge Tri (OLY)
   Nov - Heart Half Mary
   Dec - oh crap I don't have a december race scheduled!!!!!!

2013 races -
    Mar - Oceanside 70.3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (my first)
    Apr - Baker to Vegas
    Aug - Tri for the Cure Denver
    Some other sprints and Oly's mixed in there periodically

I am excited to be a part of this group and will give and take advice whenever I can. I have no formal training in sports sciences but I am happy to share from my (long) life experience, good and bad.  

Edited by rrrunner 2012-12-20 1:17 PM
2012-12-20 3:01 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hello, all!

NAME: melbo55/Melanie

STORY: I greatly enjoy being active and outdoors, especially active outdoors!  Along with swimming, biking and running, I kayak, play ice hockey and am a student/sometimes instructor of Tae Kwon Do and enjoy photography.  This will be my 4th year of triathon.  I'm no speedster, I just like the challenge of improving myself across the disciplines of triathlon and take great pleasure in trying to appreciate the fact that I am blessed to have the ability to race, not everyone is so fortunate.  I did team sports throughout my life, both organized and just for fun. 

FAMILY STATUS: married, have 2 awesome dogs/occasional running partners

CURRENT TRAINING: Training for tri is, at the moment, a little willy-nilly since I am more active with hockey and TKD this time of year, but I do scatter some tri training in here and there, mainly running and biking.  Planning on training for a half marathon in the spring, which will mean I will need to find a better way to balance and schedule my workouts.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
Frozen Foot 5K series
Got the Nerve? sprint tri
Run for the Ages 6.5 mile trail run
Catfish Sprint tri
Sunset Stretch 5K
Lums Pond sprint tri
Atlantic City International Triathon
Revolution3 Half Full Tri (Olympic)
Salem's Veteran 5K Freedom Run
Sticks and Biscuits 5K

2013 RACES: Similar plan as 2012: a few sprints and at least 1 Olympic tris.  Some trail and road running races and training for a half marathon in April.

BODY COMPOSITION: really want to drop some weight.  Ideally about 20 lbs., but will take any dropped poundage!  Regain some of my upper body strength.

Edited by melbo55 2012-12-20 3:10 PM
2012-12-20 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4543026

User image

Master
Orlando
[

NAME: Ann-Marie, Maggie, AM

STORY:  I've always been active in various sports.  Growing up with 3 brothers and 2 sisters traditional sports like tennis soon morphed into things like house-net tennis where, as the name suggests, the house was the net and the sides were the front and backyards - the side yards were out of bounds, duh.  Another favorite was "hey, run down the street and let me see if I can hit you with this bottle rocket".  Unfortunately, we sort of outgrew those sports and I started playing tennis and golf etc in the traditional manner.  I soon tired of those sports and mainly hit the gym to stay in shape.

Every so often I'd get motivated to run and would be very dedicated for a few months before getting bored and returning to the gym.  Then about 5  years ago, I joined a running group and started training for my first marathon - Disney 2009. I thought it would be a 1 and done type of thing, but somewhere along the way I started to actually enjoy running.

3 years ago I decided to tackle my first triathlon. I started swimming in preparation the week after the Disney HM.  It was January, we were having a cold spell (we even were snowed on during the half) and the pool was (and still is) and outdoor pool.  Practice was at 6am.  I survived the 30* workout and have been at it ever since.  One day I may even get to the point where I don't stink at swimming.

FAMILY STATUS:  My only current live-in companion is my now 7 year old german shepherd Gunnar.  My avitar is his puppy picture.  Isn't he cute?  I don't have any kids of my own, but I do have 10 nieces and nephews to whom I am very close and who often call me "mom".  I think that counts.

My family is very close and we do many tris and road races together.

CURRENT TRAINING:  This year has been an injury year for me.  I'm slowly easing back into running after getting the ok from my doctor this week.  Yea!  I also hope to continue to keep up my bike mileage and I try to swim 2-3 times/week.

2012 RACES:

Feb:  Orlando Xtreme half marathon

April:  Nautica South Beach tri

August:  Loggerhead tri

Oct:  REV3 Florida Half IM

November:  Horrible Hundred Bike Ride (70 mile version)

2013 RACES:

April:  Nautica South Beach tri.

Other than that, I'm not sure what I'm going to do, although I have a strong feeling I will go back to REV3 with the hopes that the swim won't be cancelled and there won't be a hurricane anywhere on the east coast.

Also, Chris needs to compete in and not volunteer for the 2013 REV3 race!

BODY COMPOSITION:  What?! No one said we had to reveal that!!  I have no idea how much I weigh or what my body fat % is.  I'm fairly confident, however, that my lack of running coupled with my continued eating has resulted in a weight gain of about 5 lbs.  So, that needs to go!

2012-12-20 6:52 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

NAME: Hi y'all!!!  I'm jogo/Joanne

STORY: I started doing triathlons in 2008 after meeting some crazies at the Detroit marathon in 2006 who decided to get a tri team together.  If I could run, I could tri, or so they convinced me.   I was on the swim team in HS as a diver so I only had to swim to the surface and never breathe with my head in the water.  I had to learn to swim. I didn't own a bike so I got an old cannondale that was too big for me and put some aero bars on it. I had to learn how to ride and not kill myself clipping in/out.  Running, I could do that, or so I thought, until I had to do it after biking.   I did 10 tri's and 2 du's in 2008 and 2009.  I pretty much sucked at it.  Mostly because of my lack of consistent training but still I was banging out the tri's 1-2/month during the season.  I grew to really dislike sucking at 3 disciplines so I went back to the discipline that I liked the most and sucked the least, running.   I did one tri, because of adult peer-pressure, in 2012, completely untrained, and it just reinforced that I have no natural ability in anything athletic.  I will probably do another, someday, but today is not that day.  

FAMILY STATUS: I am married and have my own funny farm, consisting of 5 kids (2 of his and 3 of mine), 2 (3 in March 2013) spouses of said kids, 3 grandbabies, 3 kitties, 2 dogs, 1 grandkitty, 4 grand-doggies, 4 elderly (80+) parents (they are all still with us, thankfullly) and yes, many of them will be home starting on Sunday for the holiday, through New Years.  I take that back, I will need a funny farm after the holidays.   Oh hell, I need to be committed now. It has been a hell year and I am so ready for 2012 to go away.  I am taking back my life from my family.  I have been a mom since I was 22 years old.  It is time to be a jogo.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have taken a break from any "training" since May.  Training starts for my 18 week Big Sur plan on Dec. 26.  My BT friend, Trixie, was in town last week and she declared my training "Muffin-top to Marathon".  She told me I couldn't say couch to marathon because this will be marathon #6 for me. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: April: Big Sur Marathon (amazingly spiritual and a PR!!)

May: Bayshore half-marathon

July: InterRockin' Sprint Triathlon

November: Turkey Trot 5k

December: Run Like the Dickens 5k walk

2013 RACES:             April: Big Sur Marathon

May: Bayshore half-marathon

June: Tour du Cure (Diabetes fundraiser) Century bike ride

BODY COMPOSITION: I was 15lbs above my happy weight in April when I did Big Sur.  I stopped training and sat on my fat arse since May.  I am now 30lbs above my happy weight.  I am going to be working at this as part of my marathon training.  Training will consist of not only running but fueling with healthy, useful foods.

Edited by jogo 2012-12-20 6:58 PM
2012-12-20 9:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

kgore--Kate

STORY: I am a zookeeper (reptiles mainly with forays into big cat care), I am also a college student (for 1(!!!!!!!) more semester), majoring in Anthropology, and kind of a geek for triathlons and obstacle course racing. Okay, I am a geek for many other things too...sci fi, martial arts, cross stitch, reading, hockey, and so much other random stuff...

FAMILY STATUS: I'm 36, married, no kids--except 3 furry ones ( 1 shiba inu dog, Mika; and 2 cats, Solo and Tribble), as well as multiple scaly and shelled kids (i.e. reptiles...)I do get somewhat overwhelmed by life occasionally, but with the help of my online friends (I.e. mentor manatees...) I can survive it.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am working with a tri coach online who is also the friend who really helped me get started in tris...so I basically am responsible for making sure I complete my own workouts!

2012 RACES: 

January-Kickstart Duathlon

April-Icebreaker Tri (dnf)

May-Auburn Sprint Tri

July-Tri For Real Olympic Tri

August-Folsom Olympic Tri

September-Womens Tri Festival

October-Down and Dirty 10k Mud/Obstacle race

November-Spartan Beast Obstacle Race (13+ miles)

February--Escape From Folsom 10 mile run

March--Urban Warrior Dash 5k Obsacle Race (I hope!!)

April--Spartan Beast Obstacle race

May--Tough n' Dirty 5k mud run, Auburn Olympic Tri

June--Folsom Olympic Tri

August--Granite Man Sprint Tri

September--Womens Tri Festival

October-- Urban Cow 1/2 Marathon; Down and Dirty 10k Obstacle/Mud Run

November--Spartan Beast Obstacle Race

December--Spartan Sprint Obstacle Race (Malibu)

BODY COMPOSITION: I lost 30 pounds in 2012, as well as a few inches. I am not racing strictly to lose weight, but its a definite motivation. I am still kinda chunky, but in pretty good shape--with my interest (ok...addiction) to mud/obstacle runs, I really need to work on my strength while still improving my endurance.

2012-12-21 6:13 PM

User image

Elite
Hello manatees can I join the pod?Wannabe triathlete -a fair swimmer a slow but long runner and great trainer rider!!!Main skill stalking of pro athletes such as Macca Jacobs Crowie and Terenzo Bozzone.Entered for IM Melbourne March yeah we will see....
2012-12-21 6:38 PM
in reply to: #4544707

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

jobaxas - 2012-12-21 7:13 PM Hello manatees can I join the pod?Wannabe triathlete -a fair swimmer a slow but long runner and great trainer rider!!!Main skill stalking of pro athletes such as Macca Jacobs Crowie and Terenzo Bozzone.Entered for IM Melbourne March yeah we will see....

You will do it!!!!!!!

Edited by cdban66 2012-12-21 6:39 PM
2012-12-21 7:40 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
I am in again. I will post a bio later.
2012-12-21 9:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Jbwills/ Jonathan

I was involved with track and cross country in high school. I ran cross country 2 years in college but pating for college became a higher issue than running cross country so i got out of shape from 97 to 09. In 2009 my wife filed for divorce and I closed my business. I started running again as a way to deal with the stress. I got a little out of shape when I joined the military. I deployed in 2011 to Afghanistan, when I returned in 2012 I returned to Alaska. I started doing Insanity to get back into shape and decided to go for a HM in August. While training for the HM a friend was training for a Tri so I figured I would try it. My first Tri was an Olympic with about 1 month of training. I did better than I expected and feel in love with tris.

I am divorced, my children live in TN with the ex-wife. In May I move and will be 3.5hrs away from them. I am looking forward to being that close.

I am currently suffer winter blah. It is -43F outside today so all training is indoors. I try to swim with Masters 2-3 days a week doing around 3k each practice. I also have Army PT 1-5 days a week that is more active recovery than actual PT. I have been off on my own training recently.

2012 Races

Midnight Sun Run 10k 53min or so
Chattanooga Waterfront Tri (Oly) 3:08 or so
Santa Clause Half 1:53
Tanana Tri (Sprint)

2013 Races

Break-up Sprint Tri
Chattanooga Waterfront Tri
NashVegas Half
Beach to Battleship Half or Full

Others as schedule allows

BODY COMPOSITION: I am 36yrs old, 5'9". Currently 210-215lbs and would like to get down to 175-180lbs for race season. But I will be happy being around 190lbs.

I am moving in May from Alaska to Tennessee. I am hoping to do a race while traveling or just enjoying some great training across the US as I travel.

Jonathan

Edited by jbwills 2012-12-21 9:32 PM
2012-12-22 12:57 AM
in reply to: #4544826

User image

Melon Presser

jbwills - 2012-12-22 11:30 AM Jbwills/ Jonathan

I was involved with track and cross country in high school. I ran cross country 2 years in college but pating for college became a higher issue than running cross country so i got out of shape from 97 to 09. In 2009 my wife filed for divorce and I closed my business. I started running again as a way to deal with the stress. I got a little out of shape when I joined the military. I deployed in 2011 to Afghanistan, when I returned in 2012 I returned to Alaska. I started doing Insanity to get back into shape and decided to go for a HM in August. While training for the HM a friend was training for a Tri so I figured I would try it. My first Tri was an Olympic with about 1 month of training. I did better than I expected and feel in love with tris.

I am divorced, my children live in TN with the ex-wife. In May I move and will be 3.5hrs away from them. I am looking forward to being that close.

I am currently suffer winter blah. It is -43F outside today so all training is indoors. I try to swim with Masters 2-3 days a week doing around 3k each practice. I also have Army PT 1-5 days a week that is more active recovery than actual PT. I have been off on my own training recently.

2012 Races

Tanana Tri (Sprint)

2013 Races

Break-up Sprint Tri
NashVegas Half

BODY COMPOSITION: I am 36yrs old, 5'9". Currently 210-215lbs and would like to get down to 175-180lbs for race season. But I will be happy being around 190lbs.

I am moving in May from Alaska to Tennessee. I am hoping to do a race while traveling or just enjoying some great training across the US as I travel.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan! (Hey Manatees, he's hot, let's let him in! ) You will find that we have a pretty wicked/raw sense of humor around here (okay, well, I can only speak for myself) but I have a feeling you might have come across (or even committed) some of that during your service. Thank you for that and welcome back to the U.S. and to our little Manatee pod.

2012-12-22 7:03 AM
in reply to: #4544917

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
TriAya - 2012-12-22 1:57 AM

jbwills - 2012-12-22 11:30 AM Jbwills/ Jonathan

2012 Races

Tanana Tri (Sprint)

2013 Races

Break-up Sprint Tri
NashVegas Half

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan! (Hey Manatees, he's hot, let's let him in! ) You will find that we have a pretty wicked/raw sense of humor around here (okay, well, I can only speak for myself) but I have a feeling you might have come across (or even committed) some of that during your service. Thank you for that and welcome back to the U.S. and to our little Manatee pod.

Yanti speaks for all of us, with the raw sense of humor.  You totally have to join in and post frequently!! (*stocking up on fresh supply of drool rags*)  I love a man in uniform (and out). 

In all seriousness, this is a great group.  We will get your right out of those winter blahs! Prepare to be supported and entertained!

2012-12-22 7:44 AM
in reply to: #4542792

User image

Veteran
East Texas

My name is Jonathan. One of the things that attracts me to this group is how active it already is. My last group wasn't very active and I'm really looking an active group to get/give support and motivation. I am excited for the upcoming season!

Background: I grew with a very active lifestyle playing football and working on our family ranch. Starting college my active lifestyle diminished and I gained an excessive amount of weight. 4.5 years ago I was chasing our dog down the driveway and had to stop and catch my breath and almost got sick. I made a decision right then that I would make a change to my lifestyle. I changed my eating habits and began an exercise program losing over 75 pounds to date.

Triathlons: I have watched Ironman Kona the last 4 years on TV and every year said when I lose the weight I want to do one. Well one day my wife told me quit saying that and just go train for it. This year in April I decided to complete my first tri and began training. I fell in love with the sport instantly. I completed my first sprint in September and have steadily increased my training every week since. I just signed up for my first 70.3 which will be in April.

Family status: I am married to my lovely wife of 6 years with 2 boys.

2012 Races:
March: First ever bike event 24 miles
April: First ever 5k
September: First Sprint Tri

2013 Races:
March: Sprint Tri
March: Bike Race 67 miles
April: First 70.3 IM TX @ Galveston
April: 5k
May: Olympic Tri
July: Olympic Tri
September: Sprint Tri
October: 70.3 Tri

April 2014: Ultimate Goal Full Ironman

Body Composition: 177 pounds @ aprox 17-18% body fat. I am down 75 pounds from my heaviest. My goal is to continue to lower body fat to low teens and eventually single digits. I currently have very good nutrition habits since I have been losing weight over 4 years. My body fat is still high for my weight since I was obese for so long. 

MISC: Just bought my first Tri bike this week and am taking it out this morning for my very first Aero experience. I currently use Training Peaks but I will get all my logs transferred to BT right away.

2012-12-22 8:02 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

W-w-w-waitacottonpickinminute. Now we have two Jo's and two Jonathans? Yanti, we're going to need more nicknames around here.

2012-12-22 8:16 AM
in reply to: #4545000

User image

Melon Presser
JJ- - 2012-12-22 9:44 PM

My name is Jonathan. One of the things that attracts me to this group is how active it already is. My last group wasn't very active and I'm really looking an active group to get/give support and motivation. I am excited for the upcoming season!

Background: I grew with a very active lifestyle playing football and working on our family ranch. Starting college my active lifestyle diminished and I gained an excessive amount of weight. 4.5 years ago I was chasing our dog down the driveway and had to stop and catch my breath and almost got sick. I made a decision right then that I would make a change to my lifestyle. I changed my eating habits and began an exercise program losing over 75 pounds to date.

Triathlons: I have watched Ironman Kona the last 4 years on TV and every year said when I lose the weight I want to do one. Well one day my wife told me quit saying that and just go train for it. This year in April I decided to complete my first tri and began training. I fell in love with the sport instantly. I completed my first sprint in September and have steadily increased my training every week since. I just signed up for my first 70.3 which will be in April.

Family status: I am married to my lovely wife of 6 years with 2 boys.

2012 Races:
March: First ever bike event 24 miles
April: First ever 5k
September: First Sprint Tri

2013 Races:
March: Sprint Tri
March: Bike Race 67 miles
April: First 70.3 IM TX @ Galveston
April: 5k
May: Olympic Tri
July: Olympic Tri
September: Sprint Tri
October: 70.3 Tri

April 2014: Ultimate Goal Full Ironman

Body Composition: 177 pounds @ aprox 17-18% body fat. I am down 75 pounds from my heaviest. My goal is to continue to lower body fat to low teens and eventually single digits. I currently have very good nutrition habits since I have been losing weight over 4 years. My body fat is still high for my weight since I was obese for so long. 

MISC: Just bought my first Tri bike this week and am taking it out this morning for my very first Aero experience. I currently use Training Peaks but I will get all my logs transferred to BT right away.

Hi Jonathan (why do I feel some deja vu?)! Welcome. You might get more than you bargained for with wanting an "active" group ... MUAH HA HA HA Congrats on reforming your life and body, and your goals look great.

Had a positioning done on the tri bike? Pictures? We're very big on pictures here.

2012-12-22 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4545016

User image

Melon Presser
rrrunner - 2012-12-22 10:02 PM

W-w-w-waitacottonpickinminute. Now we have two Jo's and two Jonathans? Yanti, we're going to need more nicknames around here.

Oh. You didn't realize I put out an APB that only hot Jo's and Jonathans will be accepted into the Manatees?

2012-12-22 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4545029

User image

Veteran
East Texas
TriAya - 2012-12-22 8:16 AM

Hi Jonathan (why do I feel some deja vu?)! Welcome. You might get more than you bargained for with wanting an "active" group ... MUAH HA HA HA Congrats on reforming your life and body, and your goals look great.

Had a positioning done on the tri bike? Pictures? We're very big on pictures here.

I am so excited about my new bike I have no problem posting pics!! I was fitted before I purchased the bike using Retul. They gave me several choices that would fit me and then once I purchased my bike they fitted me on the bike.

Scott Plasma 20

Scott Plasma

2012-12-22 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Stacey I live in Western Australia.I was fairly sporty in school, played basketball and netball and swam a lot (poorly) but that was 20 years ago. I love competitive sports but my job doesn't allow me to commit to team practices and games regularly so I thought that triathlon would be good as I can fit it around life (or maybe fit life around it).I am married coming up to 15 years, no kids but lots of dogs (we breed English mastiffs).I have been very haphazardly training for the last 3 months but have been lacking motivation. I have done a couple of tris but am back of the pack and know I can do better if I could be more consistent with the training.My aim for 2013 is an Olympic distance in April and Half marathon in August.I am a 37yo female 5'6" and weigh about 147. I would like to lose about 10lb (if my conversions are right) but more importantly lose the flabby bits.(sorry when I post all my spaces disappear so if someone can help me with that it would be great)

Edited by StaceyK 2012-12-22 9:04 AM
2012-12-22 9:02 AM
in reply to: #4545037

User image

Melon Presser
JJ- - 2012-12-22 10:23 PM
TriAya - 2012-12-22 8:16 AM

I am so excited about my new bike I have no problem posting pics!! I was fitted before I purchased the bike using Retul. They gave me several choices that would fit me and then once I purchased my bike they fitted me on the bike.

Scott Plasma 20

Scott Plasma

That's the way to do it. Fitting first; bike next; positioning.

Pretty pretty bike porn! Nice hydration setup, too.

2012-12-22 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4545063

User image

Melon Presser

StaceyK - 2012-12-22 11:01 PM Stacey I live in Western Australia.I was fairly sporty in school, played basketball and netball and swam a lot (poorly) but that was 20 years ago. I love competitive sports but my job doesn't allow me to commit to team practices and games regularly so I thought that triathlon would be good as I can fit it around life (or maybe fit life around it).I am married coming up to 15 years, no kids but lots of dogs (we breed English mastiffs).I have been very haphazardly training for the last 3 months but have been lacking motivation. I have done a couple of tris but am back of the pack and know I can do better if I could be more consistent with the training.My aim for 2013 is an Olympic distance in April and Half marathon in August.I am a 37yo female 5'6" and weigh about 147. I would like to lose about 10lb (if my conversions are right) but more importantly lose the flabby bits.

Hi Stacey! (rhymes with Manatee, practically) Welcome to the pod, and to beginnertriathlete as well. We do love Aussies and we really love dogs! I *just* got back from Busselton and Perth and had a blast, coming back for IMWA 2013!

We're about the same age and weight, although I'm closer to 5'3" than 5'6". Come to think of it I'm closer to 5'3" than 5'4"

Also, we're all over the world and are a pretty savvy bunch if I do say so myself, so feel free to post stuff in metric.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees Mentor Group - VERY CLOSED!!! Sorry! Rss Feed  

of 84