BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2012-12-20 12:58 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: January

GROUP FOCUS: Olympic and Longer distance

NAME: Jford 2309  James  

STORY: I started doing triathlons about 5 years ago. I have slowly worked myself up from sprint distances to Olympic to HIM to marathon and this is my year to go the full 140.6. I absolutely love the journey to the race as much as I do the racing. My ultimate goal is to become an Ironman and I plan on making that happen in 2013.

FAMILY STATUS: Married fro 16 years, and I have 3 sons ages 13, 11 and 4  

CURRENT TRAINING: I have trained mainly with plans from BT and had great successes, last year I hit 8 PR's in 2012. I like to have a plan and usually train 6 days a week (early morning workouts), I am pretty anal about logging my workouts here on BT so I can have a gauge of my progress.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year I ran races in varying distances. 5K, 8K, 10K, half marathon, marathon, sprint triathlon, Olympic triathlon and a Half Ironman triathlon. My weakness segment is running, so I tend to do alot more running events for this reason, but I found I enjoy the longer distances more. 

2013 RACES:  My A races are the Memphis in May Olympic Triathlon, and the Redman 140.6 triathlon, I will also do a few sprint triathlons and run race series throughout the year and I will end my year with either a half marathon or full marathon (St Jude Memphis Marathon)

WEIGHTLOSS: Weight loss is not something I have as a goal, but I know I need to eat healthier and better, maybe eating smarter would be a better description.  

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I think I will be a good mentor because I believe that 75% of what we do is mental and sometimes we all just need that extra encouragement to get out there. I will definitely follow up on your logs and and be able to answer questions about training and racing. I also understand that this is a hobby for the majority of us, we all have lives outside of triathlon and sometimes it is hard to balance with a family events, job, wife/husband and other parts of life that pop up, and I want to make sure that I always have fun training or racing! So I hope to have 8-10 people join my group and get focused on having a great 2013!!

Edited by jford2309 2013-01-15 8:04 AM

2012-12-20 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4543020

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: JFord 2013 Spring Group- Open

GROUP FOCUS: Olympic and Longer distance

NAME: bradleyd3 (Brad)

STORY: I got into tri's in 2008 after watching a tri on TV. It was an hour long....and I didn't realize that they shortened it for TV time. I thought....I can do that...as I brushed the brownie crumbs off my shirt. I was a whopping 240lbs at the time and couldn't run a mile without stopping and then it was a blazing fast 14 minutes. I've done numerous sprints, a few OLY's, and a HIM (half ironman) along with countless road races....including a marathon. I'm currently training for IMTX in May 2013.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 9.5 years. I have a 6.5 year old and a 10 week old.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently in a run focused IM training plan. In a run build phase right now and will begin bike training in mid-to-late January.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did not race in 2012. Job contraints, moved houses, had a new kid.

2013 RACES: IMTX....May 2013 is my A race. I have a 13.1 in February, trying to go sub-2 hours (I'm still slow). Also kicking around the idea of a HIM in late summer and another marathon in winter 2013.

WEIGHTLOSS: As I said....I started my journey at 240lbs. I raced most of my races around 190 but got down to 176 for the HIM. I'm currently around 200 (mainly due to the hectic personal life in 2012, but want to race in May around 175. I don't have the healthiest diet.....

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I've been where the "newbs" have been. i know what it's like to make the commitment and stick with it. I've been fortunate to have a good support group near/around me, including several multiple IM finishers....who encouraged me and helped me. I volunteer at least twice a year at local tri's to give back to the sport that's given to me. This is another way of giving back!

2013-01-03 3:15 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Still accepting applicants?

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: January

GROUP FOCUS: Olympic and Longer distance

NAME:  Nadamson12  (Noel

STORY: For the past 8 years I have been doing Strength training/power lifting.  As of last August I was tired of the injuries and unhealthiness of the sport and decided I needed a change.  My older brother has been big into half and full IM for the last few years and suggested using them as a chance to get healthy. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 7 years with two kids - 6 and 4 

CURRENT TRAINING: I am training primarily for Olympic distances with the desire of doing the Kansas 1/2 in 2014.  My current training consists mostly of running with a top distance of 3 miles s of now (running was never my thing). 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Our Local YMCA branches held indoor races.  500 m Swim, 6 mi stationary bike ride, and 2 mi run.

2013 RACES:  This year there are 7 sprint and Olympic distance races starting in mid April that I am registering for. 

WEIGHTLOSS: My weight loss goals are simple reduce muscle mass and the extra 15-20 lbs I have put on.  I am currently at 235lbs and think the 200 range would be a great start.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: My philosophy in everything I take on is simple in fact I am getting tattooed on my back soon.  Knowledge + Dedication = Success.  I am hoping to gain the knowledge from you two, combined with everything I can research and read about, add in my dedication and hopefully end with success.  I am very coachable and have a desire.  

2013-01-03 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4560564

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Still accepting applicants?
Welcome Noel! I actually did my 1st indoor triathlon and got hooked about 4 or 5 years ago! It sounds like you have a lot of races planned for 2013! Be sure that your logs are public so Brad and I (and anyone in the group) can monitor your activity!
2013-01-03 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4560640

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Still accepting applicants?
jford2309 - 2013-01-03 3:47 PM

Welcome Noel! I actually did my 1st indoor triathlon and got hooked about 4 or 5 years ago! It sounds like you have a lot of races planned for 2013! Be sure that your logs are public so Brad and I (and anyone in the group) can monitor your activity!

Welcome Noel.

There aren't any stupid questions....only stupid answers (which you may get from me....).

Let's Do This!

2013-01-04 2:17 AM

Subject: RE: JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Open
Hi, can I join the group? am doing my first triathlon in May and need to get working!

2013-01-04 7:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH

I would like to join your group.  I did my first tri's this past summer.  I have my 3rd olympic tri in March, my first HIM in May (Rocketman) and a full distance tri scheduled for September (Rev3 Cedar Point).  I am usually a very good self-motivator and self disciplined.  However, life has been crazy and I can see I need some accountability.  I have been running since July of 2006 (before that I was a couch potato).  I did my first marathon in 2007.  I have done 11 total marathons and a whole bunch of other running distances including doing the Goofy in 2011.  Swimming is probably my weakest.  I have the endurance but not the speed. 

Michelle

2013-01-04 7:56 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Welcome Aboard Ginger and Michelle....

We're hoping to make this a fun group with a good mix of people.

Ginger, when you get a chance, can you post a short bio so we can get to know you a little better?

Make sure that you update your logs, and make them public so we can see them.....and feel free to PM or post on here.

No such thing as stupid questions only stupid answers (which I will give).

2013-01-04 8:40 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Welcome Ginger and Michelle!!!!

It's great to have accountability and that one thing Brad and I can offer, but we also ask that you hold us accountable as well (except for all the typos you will see from us)

Right now, I am using a BT plan to train for an Olympic I have in May. I am starting that plan on Monday. So let me ask the group, what plans are you using to train for your next race?

2013-01-04 12:30 PM
in reply to: #4561618

User image

New user
Since my first race will be a sprint distance, my plan is to focus on the run.  Yes a 5K is short but for me three miles is long at this point.  I am working on improving my swim stroke to make it more efficient.  I have a coach I am working twice a month with for pointers.  as for the biking, it is a little icy to be putting in the miles I need at this time, hopefully we will get some "warmer" days here in KS.  As for my plan.  I run 4 days a week usually, 2-3 miles on Mon. Wed. Thurs. and 4-5 on Sat. paired with weight room on the 2-3 mile days.  I swim once a week on Tuesdays and do between 750 and 1000 meters alternating workouts between speed, arm focus, leg focus, breathing.  I ride when I get the chance with the weather or make it to a spin class at least once a week on Sundays.  Friday is usually my break day.
2013-01-04 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4562240

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Nadamson12 - 2013-01-04 12:30 PM Since my first race will be a sprint distance, my plan is to focus on the run.  Yes a 5K is short but for me three miles is long at this point.  I am working on improving my swim stroke to make it more efficient.  I have a coach I am working twice a month with for pointers.  as for the biking, it is a little icy to be putting in the miles I need at this time, hopefully we will get some "warmer" days here in KS.  As for my plan.  I run 4 days a week usually, 2-3 miles on Mon. Wed. Thurs. and 4-5 on Sat. paired with weight room on the 2-3 mile days.  I swim once a week on Tuesdays and do between 750 and 1000 meters alternating workouts between speed, arm focus, leg focus, breathing.  I ride when I get the chance with the weather or make it to a spin class at least once a week on Sundays.  Friday is usually my break day.

Noel, the run is important, in fact Lance Armstrong said you ride for show and run for dough! However, bike fitness is very important to the run. If you do not have the right amount of bike fitness, then you will run slower off the bike. So don't discount the bike (you might look into getting a trainer so you can ride your bike indoors, I love mine)

As far as your runs, you mentioned that in your swim workouts you different aspects of swimming, I would also do different aspects on running. My best year running was the year i worked in speed drills into my runs, it helped me the most, so I would consider doing that. BT has alot of different plans for free on here and some you can customize that I would look into!

2013-01-04 3:00 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

This was in my inbox:

"Have been wandering about the swim particularly.... I know its usually done front crawl, but I have timed a couple of lengths of breast stroke to crawl, and the breast stroke is faster. I used to swim in a few inter school tournaments with the breast stroke, but my crawl has always  been rubbish. Do i just need to work hard and improve my crawl, or can i do a bit of both do you guys think?"

IMO the crawl is best, but I know many swimmers that use breast stroke in the swim. I know many people that use the breast stroke when they need to sight also! If your race is not until MAY, you have plenty of time to get in that groove using the crawl. A race will never be won in the swim, so I wouldn't worry about trying to be the first out of the water!

2013-01-05 9:52 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Time vs. distance training

Is it better to train if distance, or train for time.

ie... Should I be running miles or running for 40-50 min?  All the training programs on here have you training for time periods and states nothing about distances.  I know my average mile time on bike and run and my average 100 meter swim time, and as I look at the times they want, it has for the Olympic training 16 week program it will have me well over the distances on both Swim and Bike but right at the distances for running. 

2013-01-05 5:06 PM
in reply to: #4563353

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Time vs. distance training
Nadamson12 - 2013-01-05 9:52 AM

Is it better to train if distance, or train for time.

ie... Should I be running miles or running for 40-50 min?  All the training programs on here have you training for time periods and states nothing about distances.  I know my average mile time on bike and run and my average 100 meter swim time, and as I look at the times they want, it has for the Olympic training 16 week program it will have me well over the distances on both Swim and Bike but right at the distances for running. 

I could argue both, but I prefer to train by time for longer distances and by distance for shorter races.  For some people, time is easier because everyone knows how long 30 minutes is, but do not know how far 4 miles. So I would say whatever works for you!

A 3 hour run sounds easier to me than a 16 mile run!

2013-01-05 7:11 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Tonight I am adding core work to my workout schedule, I want abs! My wife is also going to do the workout with me, although she is closer to the "ABS" than I am!

Sunday I have a 3k trail race I am running, last year I finished in 16 minutes, so I hope to beat that time.

Monday, I start my training for Memphis in May Olympic triathlon. I can't wait! 

2013-01-05 9:37 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Starting a program

I to am starting tomorrow.  I am going to start the 20 week X2 Olympic program they have on here.  Should have me ready in June for my first Olympic distance.  As for "abs"  not a worried about them, I have the core strength, but will never have the 6-pack.  I need flexibility so the wife and I have started nightly Yoga here at home and once a week at the YMCA.

2013-01-05 11:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Hi there. I've been looking for a group that focuses on longer distance and I think I've found it here. A couple of you already doing an IM around the same time I am.

NAME: Stuart (stuart_little_9)

STORY: I started triathlon's about 5 years ago, when a friend of mine at uni said "Do you want to do a triathlon" and I said "ok", so we did. It was just a sprint, but I really enjoyed it and have stuck at it. I live in Brisbane, Australia and am 23 years old. I have done mostly sprints and olympic distances, but in October did my first HIM, and am training for my first IM this June.

FAMILY STATUS: Have a girlfriend, no kids.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am finishing up week 2 of a 24 week training plan targeting my IM race. I am using TrainingPeaks with the virtual coach, but I have been doing this long enough and with my professional background to adapt the plan for myself.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Port Macquarie HIM (my first). Finished in 5:46. A tough hilly bike course and a flat run. Got really bad cramps in the run and did a 2:05 half mary. Was aiming for a 1:50, so a little slower than my goal.

2013 RACES: IM Cairns (June 9th). My first IM. Apparently a 'challenging' bike course and a flat run. Also the Mooloolaba Olympic in mid-March.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have always been lean and fit so weightloss is not an issue for me.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am an Accredited Exercise Physiologist (have a degree in exercise science) so I should be able to answer any technical training questions with good scientific evidence, or at least use my educated opinion. I love getting inspires in my training log, and will endeavour to inspire everyone at least once per week while the group is still going.
2013-01-06 12:58 AM

User image

Denton, TX

ok, I want to join.

BIO:  did 1st TRI in 1988 as something 'to do' before I finished school.  Ran marathons after that, then got busy with the 'real world'.  Have raced bikes (endurance and short, mtn and road) for the last 9 yrs and currently on a competitive cycling team (road).  Will be racing mostly stage races this spring with the team.  Once did a 24 hr mtn bike race as a 2 man team - yeah that was dumb (got 2nd though).  Have knee tenderness - worn from distance running 20 yrs ago the doc said.  Did a sprint TRI 2 yrs ago, but quit TRI's due to knee problems....

Goal:  keep building running base slowly so I can do a HIM this June (Kansas), then again in the fall.  My big goal is 2014: full IM somewhere.  

first question:  just got tri bike.  need to order wheels - advice on depth (front/rear)?

glad to join you folks - let's have fun with some accountability!

2013-01-06 3:13 PM

Knoxville

James,

Do you have room for another member of your group?

My name is Bob Vogel, and I live in Knoxville, TN. I'm married with three kids, two are out of the house. We have a 14 year old son who keeps us young.

I am 53 years old, 6'2" and weigh 261.5 pounds as of this morning. I suppose I'm coming in as a clydesdale?

I gew up in NJ, and was a competitive swimmer until about 18, so I'm pretty comfortable in the water, I just have no endurance, currently. Also, all of my kids are or have been competitive swimmers, so I've been around the sport most of my life. As I get in better shape, I'm going to look for a Masters Group here in Knoxville - right now, I'd be embarrassed to get the water with them.

I tried a couple of triathalons (Olympic distance) about 25 years ago. I didn't have a very disciplined training regimen, but I finished. I had a lot of fun, but life just got too complicated, so I didn't stay with it. My experience with them was that I could come out of the water in the top 5 (including the alpha males at the front of the heap), I'd drift back to about the back of the first third of the pack during the bike, and then everyone would pass me during the run. I mean, everyone. I run like a rock. Mostly, that was because I was too heavy - even then, I was around 230-235. Little old me would pass me and pat me on the back for encouragement. My wife described my running as looking like the intro to the six million dollar man show - where he runs in slow motion - that was me - slow motion.

After that, I went in the Army. Basic got me down to about 195-200 and in great shape. I was running 6 minute miles for distance and could walk forever with forty pounds on my back.

I got out twenty years ago and have been carbing up ever since! Now at 261, I'm ready to get myself back in shape. (I started a blog about it - http://bobswell.blogspot.com/2013/01/great-workout.html)

We started the Sonoma diet - which is a low carb, Mediterean style diet - great recipes - anyway - I had lost 10 pounds before Christmas and got down to 253, but I've gained 8 back.

My goal is to get down to 185 and be able to complete a couple of Olympic distance triathalons this year. Next year, I'd like to do a 1/2 Ironman and the following year, I'd like to do Ironman.

Right now, I've been working on building core strength using Kettlebells and body weight exercises. I haven't started running, but I've done some distance walking. So, really, I'm starting from scratch.

So, do you have room for a chubby old man like me?

Bob

2013-01-06 3:14 PM

Knoxville

James,

Do you have room for another member of your group?

My name is Bob Vogel, and I live in Knoxville, TN. I'm married with three kids, two are out of the house. We have a 14 year old son who keeps us young.

I am 53 years old, 6'2" and weigh 261.5 pounds as of this morning. I suppose I'm coming in as a clydesdale?

I gew up in NJ, and was a competitive swimmer until about 18, so I'm pretty comfortable in the water, I just have no endurance, currently. Also, all of my kids are or have been competitive swimmers, so I've been around the sport most of my life. As I get in better shape, I'm going to look for a Masters Group here in Knoxville - right now, I'd be embarrassed to get the water with them.

I tried a couple of triathalons (Olympic distance) about 25 years ago. I didn't have a very disciplined training regimen, but I finished. I had a lot of fun, but life just got too complicated, so I didn't stay with it. My experience with them was that I could come out of the water in the top 5 (including the alpha males at the front of the heap), I'd drift back to about the back of the first third of the pack during the bike, and then everyone would pass me during the run. I mean, everyone. I run like a rock. Mostly, that was because I was too heavy - even then, I was around 230-235. Little old me would pass me and pat me on the back for encouragement. My wife described my running as looking like the intro to the six million dollar man show - where he runs in slow motion - that was me - slow motion.

After that, I went in the Army. Basic got me down to about 195-200 and in great shape. I was running 6 minute miles for distance and could walk forever with forty pounds on my back.

I got out twenty years ago and have been carbing up ever since! Now at 261, I'm ready to get myself back in shape. (I started a blog about it - http://bobswell.blogspot.com/2013/01/great-workout.html)

We started the Sonoma diet - which is a low carb, Mediterean style diet - great recipes - anyway - I had lost 10 pounds before Christmas and got down to 253, but I've gained 8 back.

My goal is to get down to 185 and be able to complete a couple of Olympic distance triathalons this year. Next year, I'd like to do a 1/2 Ironman and the following year, I'd like to do Ironman.

Right now, I've been working on building core strength using Kettlebells and body weight exercises. I haven't started running, but I've done some distance walking. So, really, I'm starting from scratch.

So, do you have room for a chubby old man like me?

Bob

2013-01-06 9:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
So I thought we can kick off discussions with what everyone's training is looking like currently (ie last couple of weeks and plans for next 2 weeks say).

Today (Monday) I am starting base 1, week 3 of my IM plan. I'm following Joe Friel's methods, so it is 3x4 week base periods, then 2x4 week build with a 3 week taper to race. I'm actually adding another week in at the end of base 3 to recover from a race.

I am aiming for 3 sessions of each sport a week, plus I plan for 2 strength sessions, but usually only manage 1.

So far I have built to a 1:40 long run (16km/10mi) (yes I am Australian, we use the metric system) and did a long ride of 3:30 (80km/50mi). I am planning to eventually get at least 1 if not 2 2.5 hour runs and 2x6hr rides in.

This week is another ramp week, followed by a rest and test week next week. I have been training very consistently so far, and am very happy with how I am going. Early days though!

Also, everyone needs to make there logs public or at least add everyone else as a friend so we can see your logs and give inspires!

Good luck with your training this week.

2013-01-06 9:54 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Welcome to the group Stuart, Todd and Bob! Sorry it took me awhiel to get back to you but it was a busy weekend. I look forward to hearing all about your goals and doing whatever I can to help encourage you all!
2013-01-07 7:58 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Yes....welcome guys.

Can't wait to get over my sickness to start training. I'm losing fitness and this isn't boding well for the plan.

My logs are actually up to date (haha)..... I'm fighting some short of weird head cold that started to get better then came back, without warning, and is worse this time around.

2013-01-07 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH

Life has really been trying to mess up my training.  My sister is in final stages of cirrohsis, my youngest daughter is getting married the first week of March, my boss is getting ready to head out of the country for a month (I get to make up the slack), and then there was Christmas and New Year's.  Oh! And then there are the days you struggle to get enough motivation to get out of bed at 4:15am only to arrive at the gym and wait for someone to come and open it up.  By the time they get there, you don't have enough time to get a workout in and get to work! UGH!  It has been crazy. 

But TODAY is a great day.  So far, I did a 3 mile run and 1 hour spinning class.  I plan to ride my bike on the trainer at home this evening (if life doesn't throw another curve ball). 

I can have no more excuses.  My first HIM is May 5.  I need to train more consistently. 

2013-01-07 12:10 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Happy Monday Group! This morning I hit a chilly 27 degree 4 mile run to kick off my Olympic race training. It was soo cold!!! But I did get out there and got it done! Tonight my plan calls for a 14 mile ride, which will be done on the trainer while watching the game! (I just got a new Clyclops trainer and can;t wait)

Yesterday I ran the 1st race of a winter cross country series which consisted of a 3k. I set a new PR for me 14:59, which I was thrilled with since it is a trail run!

As far as my plan, I have imported it into my BT blog, you can go and check it out on the left hand side!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 27