Sydney Australia
Subject:

2006-06-26 6:52 PM
in reply to: #466401

User image

Veteran
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Stupid Knee injury

i feel your pain, i'm going through the same thing, went to get an xray done, then a mri the results were that i have runner's knee, so i haven't been running at all really, i've been swimming alot and alittle bit of riding. but just this past week i was in a slump, but i realize i need to get back out there and do what i'm capable of doing for now.

was told from docs to ice it and massage the area and take advil and do quad stretches and wear a brace.

i hope this helps, from what your describing it sounds like what i have. if your really concern then i would call the docs. just to ease your mind....just a thought, hope everything works out

2006-06-26 9:24 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I would avoid any hill work. You might want to take a look at your pedals. You have a new bike, did you put new pedals on it? I put new pedals on my bike this year and had incredible pain. I am switching from Looks to Speedplay. I am having the cleats adjusted this Friday that way I can hopefully start riding again pain free.
2006-06-27 8:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Mobile, Alabama
Sounds to me like chondromalacia. Fancy word for roughness on the backside of the kneecap. RICE (rest being key) and take it easy to build back up and you should be ok. Start running/biking on flat surface. Work your way up to hills. You can try one of those chopat straps that goes under your knee. That helps some people.

Good Luck
2006-06-27 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Utah
I find myself in a place I haven't been before either, I have not really had any knee problems in all my years of training, but in just the past few weeks I have had some pain that has really put me in a quandry. I have events coming up that I don't want to miss. I ran in a relay race this past weekend that went for 175 miles, I did three legs, on my second my knee really started to hurt, it felt loose to walk on. Once I got going on my third leg I seemed to be ok, but since then I have been having a rough time. It hurts to walk up and down stairs, I feel it inside and on the bottom part of my knee. Also, I feel tightness on the back side of my knee when I try to walk with a full stride. I have been icing it and have been to PT, but am worried about my upcoming events.
2006-06-28 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Hoo boy... I hate threads like this.... it's my first visit to this part of the forum too, with very similar symptoms as the original poster.  I've got an Olympic race in two and a half weeks that I don't want to miss.

It sounds like REST is heavily advised.  Is this complete rest?  Should I completely forego the long run (90 min) and long bike (2.5 hrs) sessions I had planned for the coming weekend?  Or should I put the time in, but at a very easy pace?

2006-06-29 12:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Another recent article that was just in Runner's World suggests that RICE should become MICE!
In actually words, rest is not as good for the knees as previously thought and movement has its advantages. The article recommends that you switch to activities that do not put pressure on your knees. You can pool run, you can swim, and you can bike (no hills, no mashing!). Sorry to hear of your injury, hope you recover soon!!!
2006-06-29 12:00 PM

User image

After taking nearly a month off running due to being hit by a car (knee, meet car, car, meet knee), I can heartily recommend going to a chiropractor. Like you, I'm not a big fan of going to doctors.. but a few chiro visits made a WORLD of difference for me.

But.. make sure that the chiro is a sports-related one - one that also does muscle manipulations. Might be a tight muscle somewhere that's causing your knee to track wrong.

Hope it starts feeling better soon!
2006-06-29 11:28 PM

User image

Regular
Squamish,BC

Sorry to hear I will not see you in Squamish?? You said you hate seeing the doc but maybe you can get a referral for massage therapy?  My hamstring started getting REALLY tight recently and was affecting my knee as I started putting on more mileage and stress.  I have eased back the training a little but I am stretching LOTS.  Yoga is also amazing.  I am not normally a patient person when it comes to yoga, massage etc but I have noticed it works in mysteriouss ways at preventing injuries and reducing existing ones. I know SERIOUSLY underestimated how tight I was until I tried to touch my toes.  Sitting at work does not help me one bit. 

Just some thoughts.  Take care of yourself and make healing your first priority.

2006-06-30 5:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Utah
I went to the doctor today, and it looks like I have Patella Tendonitis. Not what I was hoping for, but it could also have been worse. He said those words I didn't want to hear, to stop running for a bit. ARGH! Right when I have events scheduled throughout the month.
2006-07-01 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I had my cleat position looked at yesterday. It appears that I was making counter clockwise circles with my left knee when I was pedaling. My cleat was adjusted and I was given an orthotic for my cycling shoe. It didn't hurt at all today when I rode but I will see how it feels later tonight and tomorrow.

2006-07-04 12:09 PM

User image

New user

Kansas City
Sounds like patello-femoral pain. This can occur from a kneecap that doesn't glide in it's groove smoothly. I'd look up some exercises on the web or talk to a physical therapist friend. You'll want to keep your hamstrings stretched, strengthen the thigh adductors, and continue with ice and occ. advil if needed if this is indeed your problem.
2006-07-05 3:16 PM

User image

Central Ms.
I recently had an identical situation. Same pain, in the same training situations.
I did a Tri in June,It swell up badly. I was having a lot of pain training,But I kept pushing it because I had talked my teenage son into doing the Tri4God Tri with me, So I had to do it with him.
I done the Swim, muttled thru the bike,and after leaving the transition area for my run,I could hardly walk.(My son took 2nd pl. by the way)
After getting a DNF, I decided it was time to make an appointment.

Doc said patella tendonitis,But many severe stress fractures on the patella,(overuse injury) going for a MRI this week.
From Feb to June, I was using Ice everyday. I read all the info online I could find. tried alot of self diagnosing.

I missed many events this season. My advice is, see a doctor, get an xray, just to be sure, You do not want to let it go so far you may incurr other damage from waiting.
Doc told me to lay off the running, however, I can swim and ride.
keep doing my leg strenghthing excercises, Week quads can cause knee injuries.
The pain I was having sounded like alot of knee injuries I was reading about online closly,But sounds IDENTICAL to what you described.
It could be tendonitis, or runners knee, could be stress fractures, could be alot of things, You sould like a serious athlete that enjoys the sports,and dreads to words, NO RUNNNING! Or worse, getting a DNF on race day.

An xray, possibly a MRI is needed to be certain.
Goodluck,and let us all know how it turns out for you.

John
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stupid Knee injury Rss Feed