General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gateway Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-12-21 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL
Subject: Gateway Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread

Alright, it's time to start thinking about 2013. 

I signed up yesterday for the Gateway Triathlon - olympic distance race.  This will be my fourth time at this race.  Love the course and I'm training to complete it under 3 hours this year.  Last year was a disappointment due to ITB issues.

I really need to get in the pool.....

2012-12-22 6:08 PM
in reply to: #4543918

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: RE: Gateway Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread
Looks like a fun race and a decent price.  Have fun and good luck! 
2013-01-09 1:01 PM

User image

Master
Its looking like this might be a go for me. Not sure yet.
2013-01-29 1:56 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I'm considering this Tri. Not that this will be the deciding factor, but I'm looking at last years race results and the bike times are pretty good (or maybe I'm not sure what good is anymore). Maybe I'm just freaking slow, but even the slowest cyclist in my age bracket was 19.0mph. Looks like I'd be a MOP swimmer and a MOP Runner, though.

Am I that slow of a cyclist? I mean the fastest Cyclist in my age group is 23.7mph, that seems slow for the fastest, the average comes out to about 21mph.

I guess I'm saying that i figured the speeds would be more like 16mph to like 26mph or something like that.

go ahead, I can take it. I know I'm not FAST, but will I really be the slowest cyclist out there if I normally average 18-19 on a ride of that length?
2013-02-02 7:39 PM
in reply to: #4599953

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

It is a mostly flat out and back course, so times do go pretty fast. (depending on the headwind on the return trip).  The outer reaches of the out and back course have some rollers, usually have a tailwind on the way out, and a headwind on the way back.  I didn't look at your age group, but at 19mph  I have tended to be a slower rider in my age group.  There may be one or two slower in a given year.

I don't know if any of my ramblings are helpful, but I do love this race.  It's a fun course and not overly challenging for an early season oly distance race.

2013-02-04 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4605976

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Gmax101098 - 2013-02-02 7:39 PM

It is a mostly flat out and back course, so times do go pretty fast. (depending on the headwind on the return trip).  The outer reaches of the out and back course have some rollers, usually have a tailwind on the way out, and a headwind on the way back.  I didn't look at your age group, but at 19mph  I have tended to be a slower rider in my age group.  There may be one or two slower in a given year.

I don't know if any of my ramblings are helpful, but I do love this race.  It's a fun course and not overly challenging for an early season oly distance race.

Thanks. I did read the race reviews and they said similar. I'm in the 35-40 AG. Still contemplating this race. I aimeed at an Oly last September and never quite made it. Had some summer injuries (nothing major) and am an admitted "Hot weather wussy"

Spring / Early Summer Oly's seem to make the most sense for me as I have no problems training when it's cold, but when it gets hot, I wimp out. Even running in the night/early mornings in the middle of August are just a huge PITB. I'll take <20 any day over >80!

2013-04-22 2:39 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I'm in. I signed up on Saturday. I have only been outside biking ONCE this spring, so I'm a little worried about that. Have put the laps in, but am a slow swimmer. Hope to average about 1:50-1:55 / 100m. Ran 10k last night in 49:01 (not 100% effort, felt strong afterwards - had more endurance than speed), so hopefully I can get a similar time after the S/B after a few more weeks of training.

On another note, I went to the website to check out the race course and came up empty handed. I sent out an email and got a quick response with a lousy quality map without labels. I entered the bike course into mappedometer.com and got 44k. something is awry. Does anybody have the actual course? I read their description, and am not too worried about myself, but wife and kids will be along and would like to cheer for me on the bike course at a good spot, so I've been perusing the google satellite maps. It sure would help us in planning ahead.
2013-04-22 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4710318

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

Think the course is actually a little short, but pretty close.  Not a whole lot of places for for the family to hang out except at the turnaround.  There was another spot at an old church that is on curve in the road between miles (6 & 7 on the way out) that would have a place to park and cheer.

I mapped the bike course out here in Beginner Triathlete.  I named the route Gateway Triathlon bike course

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=185301

I will have to agree, their course description left something to be desired.  This is the course that has been used the last 3 years.

2013-04-22 3:32 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Awesome! That is exactly what I needed. Not what they sent me, BTW!
2013-05-01 9:29 AM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
So I was trying to get information on current water temps (came up empty handed, but whatever) and I'm seeing that several recent Fishing tournaments have been cancelled due to flooding (they mention dangerous conditions). Will the flooding this spring still be a concern by the time of the race? I live right on the Mississippi and while we are still in flood stage, it is going down at a pretty decent rate.
2013-05-01 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4722211

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

Danno77 - 2013-05-01 9:29 AM So I was trying to get information on current water temps (came up empty handed, but whatever) and I'm seeing that several recent Fishing tournaments have been cancelled due to flooding (they mention dangerous conditions). Will the flooding this spring still be a concern by the time of the race? I live right on the Mississippi and while we are still in flood stage, it is going down at a pretty decent rate.

Here is one place to get the water temperature:  http://www.fishingnotes.com/lakeinfo.php?id=7976

It looks like it's about 64F right now.

Two years ago the park was flooded, but the water dropped over the last week and they worked with the Corps of Engineers to determine if it was safe.  The beach was still under water, but we still had the full race.

2013-05-01 10:39 AM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Yeah, I found that website, but it says that its temps are based on historical data and geographic blah blah blah. I want somebody to go hold a thermometer right where I'll be swimming, lol.

Seriously, though, can you tell I have "First Tri" jitters? Thanks for all of your help, you are being very patient with me.
2013-05-02 7:14 AM
in reply to: #4722352

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

Danno77 - 2013-05-01 10:39 AM Yeah, I found that website, but it says that its temps are based on historical data and geographic blah blah blah. I want somebody to go hold a thermometer right where I'll be swimming, lol. Seriously, though, can you tell I have "First Tri" jitters? Thanks for all of your help, you are being very patient with me.

The Corps of Engineers used to have a sight where they posted actual water temps, but they have revamped their website.

Water temps have tended to be in the mid to upper 60's.  I have used a sleeveless wetsuit , but last year I didn't use one at all.  If water levels are close to normal, you can actually stand up at certain points in the swim.  I surprised myself the first year when I popped up to sight and hit the bottom with my feet.  It was only about 5' deep.

I understand because I am a back of the pack swimmer.  Heck I'm just a back of the pack triathlete.

2013-05-06 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

Link for water temperature:

http://mvs-wc.mvs.usace.army.mil/trans/gage/gage2.html

Pretty cold right now.  59F right now, but a few sunny days warm it pretty well.

2013-05-06 4:19 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Long term weather forecasts put temps in the average range, but I bet water is slightly cooler than normal this year.
2013-05-13 7:50 PM

User image

New user
Chicago
Any updates on the area flooding? Seems like water level is on the high end.

Really looking forward to this race. Did it last year and had a blast!

2013-05-13 7:53 PM

I'm thinking of making this my first tri.  For that matter, it would be the first biking event and the first swimming event I've ever attempted.  I'm very much a novice, and am wondering if 64 degree water would warrant a wetsuit.

I've got a million more questions, but let's start with "will I freeze to death?"

Thanks,

Fat Boy

2013-05-13 8:27 PM
in reply to: #4740841

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
FatBoySTL - 2013-05-13 7:53 PM

I'm thinking of making this my first tri.  For that matter, it would be the first biking event and the first swimming event I've ever attempted.  I'm very much a novice, and am wondering if 64 degree water would warrant a wetsuit.

I've got a million more questions, but let's start with "will I freeze to death?"

Thanks,

Fat Boy

While I don't have first hand experience, I did research this exact thing and the consensus is that most people would suffer in those temps without. I wouldn't think a guy's first triathlon would be a place to figure out if 1.5k could be done without a wetsuit in <64 degree temps.
2013-05-13 8:29 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Thanks,

Fat Boy

Water temp is an individual thing, but for me, anything less than 72 is wetsuit temp, but I'm a cold wimp. Have you swum in cold water before? Are you doing the sprint or Oly? I'm not racing this year, am 5'7" and have an exterra suit (I think it's medium, but could be large, i can check thursday) and will loan you mine if it will fit. I have raced Gateway a couple times and have race reports posted if you want more info on the race. It's a well run race at a nice venue.

DM me if the wetsuit would fit and you want to borrow it. Check out the xterra site for sizing info.
2013-05-14 7:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

I'm thinking of making this my first tri.  For that matter, it would be the first biking event and the first swimming event I've ever attempted.  I'm very much a novice, and am wondering if 64 degree water would warrant a wetsuit.  I would definitely wear a wetsuit.  The type is personal.  I have worn a sleaveless wetsuit 3 of the last 4 years at Gateway Tri.  Last year the water was 73F, so I opted to not wear one. 

I've got a million more questions, but let's start with "will I freeze to death?"  Bring on the questions, someone on here doubtlessly has had the same question in the past and would be willing to share an answer.  I'm a back-of-the-packer myself, but I'm willing to share what little knowledge I have.

Thanks,

Fat Boy

2013-05-14 9:51 AM

User image

New user
Chicago
FatBoySTL:

Doing first open water swim in a triathlon is a bad idea. Do you have swimming background? Have you been training? Can you swim non-stop for 30-40 minutes?

2013-05-14 2:26 PM

Thanks for the responses, advice, and offer for a loaner suit!  Glad I found this place!

Fitness background...  Once upon a time (in the '90s) I could throw down 7 minute miles all day long. A mile-long open water swim was nothing (did it a couple times each summer with Scouts). Mountain biked across the Rubicon Trail for giggles.  Then time caught up with me.  I packed on a few pounds after the Service. Then a series of accidents and injuries left me barely able to stand (couldn't walk more than 100 yards), so I packed on a few more pounds, topping out at 310.  Now I've got most everything bolted back together.  Foot is held on with plates and screws. Shoulder securely fastened with stainless steel wires.  Back-half of three lumbar vertebrae have been removed.

After a couple very miserable years, I can move again, and I'm determined not to let time beat me down.  To motivate me to keep going (and lay off the cheesecake), I sign up for one over-the-top goal after the next.  I just finished the Go! STL marathon last month (4:53), a Tough Mudder in October, and a series of other mud runs along the way.  I'm down from 310 to 245lbs.  I'd like to get back to basic training weight (175lbs).  Now I'm looking to do an Ironman, but starting with baby steps.  First step: Finish an Olympic Tri this summer, then a 70.3 by the end of the year, and a full-Ironman

I bought an old road bike from a friend and picked up some shoes...  I might be able to get 75 miles in this week?

I signed up for a week-long trial at the Y yesterday to see if I can still swim.  Knocked out a mile in 43 minutes, with an even mix of crawl-, side-, and breast-stroke.  I borrowed a 3/2 scuba shorty from a friend yesterday.  It's a little tight in the shoulders, but if I'm willing to live with some moose-knuckles, I can get it up high enough to work.  I'll have to try it in the water some time this week.

The running shouldn't be a problem.

So maybe this is a bad idea, but it's just the most recent bad idea in a series of bad ideas.  Remember, I'm not trying to outrun you...  I'm just trying to outrun Father Time.  I'm ok with finishing dead last, so long as I finish.

Speaking of time, are there cut-offs?  If I do this, I'm shooting for a 45 minute swim, 1:30-ish ride, and 70-ish minute run.  Glacial?  Sure.  But will they kick me off the course? Is there a sag wagon?

I read on the website that you need to meet with the race coordinator if this is your first "long" tri.  Is this really considered "long"? What kind of training do I really need to assuage any of his concerns?

Is there any support along the way?  If I blow a tire or wreck, will someone be along at regular intervals to help me out or at least drag my corpse back to the festival?

Is there anything for kids to do while they wait (11 & 12 year olds), or am I better off leaving them at home?

Is there really any value to showing up the night before?  My saturday mud-run (Muckfest) got cancelled, so I'm free, but I'm about 50 miles away.  I can't spend the night, but for a first time tri-"athlete" (I use that term very losely), is the 101 course worth the drive?  Is it worth driving the road course on Saturday?

Thanks for everything,
Fat Boy

2013-05-14 2:39 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
You sound to me as someone who can finish the race, but I'm skeptical about a couple of things. You signed up to swim at the Y yesterday and you should be TAPERING this week. You plan on biking 75 miles and you should be TAPERING this week. Your run time sounds realistic given your marathon time.

My point is that there isn't a LOT you can do in terms of exercise this week that will help you on Monday. My only advice is maybe tonight get a feel for transitioning from one thing to the other. Swim a few hundred yards and get onto a bike as quickly as you can to get a feel for how your body will react to the change in events. Then do the same from that bike to a run.

My last "workout" is supposed to be tomorrow and that is a 1000yard swim, 40min bike, and 3 mile run. Don't ask me where I came up with that, but I've been worried that Wednesday is too close to the race to do it, so I was either going to do it tonight or skip it all together...

Also, I know it may not matter, but if that is a scuba wetsuit, it might not be USAT legal. I don't know much about those sorts of things, but it would DQ you if it was (for me that wouldn't matter). I do have a wetsuit, but I made sure it was legal, and now I let all that useless information fall out of my head!

Best of luck, hope to see you there!
2013-05-14 2:41 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I'm interested in hearing about this 101 course, too. I read about it and decided I'd absorbed enough information from this forum that I don't need to go, but maybe I do?
2013-05-14 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4742234

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

I recommend attending the 101 course prior to the race, if you haven't been here before or are a little "anxious".  Quick go over of the course and a chance to ask questions. 

I don't remember any road support for the bike.  There may be a truck patrolling, but I cannot say I've noticed. 

I'm staying at the Super 8 and bbq'ing or picnicing with some guys in the Multisport Ministries group around 4pm on Saturday.  We plan on taking a swim.  Please feel free to join us.  I don't get to open water swim very often, so I like to get a little time the day before.  (last check was 62F water temp)  At least buddy up with someone.

There's limited stuff for kids to do.  It is a park, so there is a playground, but no activities for the kids.

Received my first race information e-mail today.  Almost go time.  Finally going to break 3 hours.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gateway Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2