BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Steve's Group (Year Three) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2012-12-21 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Subject: Big Steve's Group (Year Three) - Closed

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY:  I can start on January 2nd

NAME: stevepiv  / Steven

STORY: In the spring of ’09 I started getting depressed about the fact that I was going to be turning 40 in September. I committed to myself that I would be in the best shape of my life for that birthday and signed up for a sprint triathlon.  It worked!  I trained my heart out, got into great shape, had a really good first race (Sprint in Long Branch, NJ Sep ’09) and am now totally hooked on the sport and am proud to officially be an Ironman after finishing IM Lake Placid last year in 13:31. Race Report: http://tinyurl.com/impl-stevepiv 

FAMILY STATUS: I live in Middlesex County New Jersey, have been married for 21 years and have 2 girls ages 19 and 13.  This hobby would not be possible without their support.  I do try for training not to get in the way of too many things.  That means less late night TV and early rises before the family and work day begins. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I've fallen off the wagon since the NYC Marathon was cancelled due to Super Storm Sandy in November. It was a double disappointment since I also needed to withdraw from Ironman NYC last minute for family reasons in August.  I officially start training again on January 2nd. I’ll be training for Ironman Austria taking place in late June.  I’ll be doing several other tri’s and running races leading up to that as well.  My finishing time goal for this year is going to be 12 hrs. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES:

In addition to other running events these are were the notable ones I completed in 2012:

• Rutgers Unite Half Marathon - set a personal record of 1:45
  • Ironman 70.3 St. Croix
  • NJ State Triathlon – Olympic Distance - PR 2:40
  • Ironman 70.3 Ireland -  Race report:  http://tinyurl.com/IMIRESTEVEPIV
  • Mt.Rainer Summit Climb, 14,410 ft  (not a race but I think IM Lake Placid was easier, lol) -Climb report: http://tinyurl.com/MTRAINIERSTEVEPIV

2013 RACES

The main races for 2013 are going to be:

• Rutgers Unite Half Marathon
  • Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon
  • Ironman Austria
  • NYC Marathon

I'm sure I'll sign up for several more as the season unfolds.

WEIGHTLOSS: I’ve gained a little over 10 pounds since November and am +/- 200 at this point. I want to get back to 185 ASAP.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I try to be an inspiration to others and based on feedback it’s working.  I love giving advice to others when asked for it.  I surprise myself with the useful information I provide on this sport and hope to continue that in this forum. I’ve learned a ton about this sport since Sep ’09 and love to share with anyone that wants to take on this journey.  I’m no expert but will advise based on my many experiences.  I will try to point you in the right direction if I don’t have an answer and I will be as motivational as possible. 

If you’re joining this group I will ask you to post a weekly summary of your training.  Simple stats like “Bike: 20 miles-2 hrs, Swim: 400 yards-3 hrs, Run 10 miles-1.5 hrs.”  I will post the group’s totals in a report once a week.  I found this to be very motivational in past two group’s. From a totally selfish perspective it got me out of bed in the morning to train because I knew I would need to post my numbers for the week along with the rest.  Daily posts about your workout’s are also encouraged. 

Edited by stevepiv 2013-01-10 4:21 PM

2013-01-03 11:04 AM
in reply to: #4543955

User image

Subject: RE: Big Steve's Group (Year Three) - Open

I would like to Join your group if possible.

Name: Josh

Story:  I am turning 35 this year, I have played soccer all my life and in the last few years I have taken up running and biking to get in better shape.  I am married with 3 kids, ages, 9, 5, and 4 months so I have to be somewhat creative when it comes to training time. I get time at work 3 hours a week to train during the day, I train before work and can usuaully get in a long run or ride over the weekend. 

Past Events:  I completed a sprint tri in 2011. I completed 2 half marathons in 2012 one of which was a trail run though the woods.  I completed a centry bike ride and a few shorter ones in 2012 also. 

Current Training:  Mostly biking, since I got my bike in June of 2012 I have put 2k miles on it, its a road bike.  I bike 3 days a week.  I have just started running again this week after taking some time off my last half marathon was thanksgiving weekend. I have not done any swimming since the sprint tri in 2011.  My goal is to get in the pool next week and see how it goes.

Goals:  To finish a local Half Iron Man that is scheduled for June 1st. 

I would like to use the month of January as warm-up gut/ops check if you know what I mean.  If all goes well I would like to take on a 16 week plan starting in Feb to perpare for the June race.  Swimming will be my weak point put I have plans to join a local masters swim club starting in Feb if all goes well.  I am not scared of open water, I grew up living on a lake and can swim but not like I think I should be able to for something like this.

2013-01-03 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4559936

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
jewinters - 2013-01-03 12:04 PM

I would like to Join your group if possible.

Name: Josh

Welcome to the group!!

2013-01-03 4:38 PM
in reply to: #4560277

User image

Thanks Steve I am excited to get started.
2013-01-03 6:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
3 days into the year and I finally got my 1st training session of the season in.  1 mile swim broken up into WU: 400, MS: 1000, CD 350.  T-PACE for the 1000 was 1:56 for 100.  4 seconds faster than this time last year.  Considering I still have a cold and went in anyway I'm pretty happy with that.
2013-01-03 6:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hello Steve,
May I join? I have done several races but I really need the motivation that the mentor group provides. I work an odd schedule of 12 hour shifts on my feet all day. I do love to train and race. I am far from a head of the pack kind of guy but find a lot of satisfaction in beating old times and just finishing. I live in central Washington State.

Scott Holt

2013-01-03 7:48 PM

User image

My training for today was a 2 mile am run and a 18 mile pm bike. It's my first 2 a day workout in a long time so am easing back into it.

My goal for the run was to spend a few weeks getting back into it. Last year I did a lot of longer run/walk training and it worked well for me. It resulted in a 2:03 1/2 marathon which I felt was good for my first time.

I feel I am in good biking shape and probably need to start some more specific type bike workouts but don't know where to begin on them.

I plan to get in the pool next week once they reopen it.
2013-01-03 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran

I am in!

NAME: Margarita

STORY: I started doing triathlons 3 years ago to balance out my overwhelming passion for cooking and baking. It also gave me an excuse to buy a bright shiny red bicycle. Last year I had a knee surgery in  May and managed to miss the entire season.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have just started training again after seven months of barely doing anything. I am following a 16-week half-marathon plan since my first race is a half-marathon in April. I think I'll add an olympic tri plan in about a month and try to somehow merge them.

2013 RACES

For now, I am only signed up for the Rutgers Unite Half Marathon. I will probably do a sprint and a couple of olympic races.

P.S. Steven is a great mentor

My training so far:

• 1/1: 2-mile run
  • 1/3: 3.1-mile run

Does WII Just Dance 4 count?

Edited by margarita 2013-01-03 8:16 PM
2013-01-03 10:50 PM

User image

Anthem

I'd like to join your group Big Steve!

Name: Schwartzie (that's at least my real nickname anyways)

Backstory:  I have no idea why I did it but after working traffic control for several Sprint Tr's and Marathons, I decided to challenge myself and push my training to the next level.  I've always trained hard but had a hard time keeping motivated on the weekends and had issues focusing my training for specific issues.  After dropping 30 pounds from September to the beginning of December I decided it was time to push myself again.  I did my first Sprint Tri on Dec 8th.  I finished 4 and 1/2 minutes faster than my goal of 90 minutes. I finished 13th of 36th in the Clydesdale division and 2 of 7 in my age group.

I'm 36 and working to drop down to 235 from 260, at 5-10 (I'm built like a fat inside linebacker.)  I've been married for almost 7 years now, I have 6 and 4 year old boys and a 9 year old daughter (that lives out of state.)  I strength train at a minimum 3 times a week.  Play hockey 2 times a week.  I run on the treadmill after each Leg workout.  I do sprint interval training after Tri's/Shoulders/Chest.  And I try to do 2 combo trainings on the weekends, a swim/long bike and a brick run of at least a 15-20 mile bike and a minimum of a 5k run, of which I'm trying to increase each week.

I need some consistent and persistent encouragement to keep fighting through my trainings.  As my work schedule gets busy, I start to fall off a little and definitely fall off the wagon on my diet.  I am consistent with posting my workouts and would love the extra push from a good support system.

Thanks for the consideration.

Schwartzie

2013-01-03 11:51 PM

Napa
HelloI'm Gilbert R. I'm currently living in napa ca. Current weight 205 lbs. I consider myself a athletic person always looking for a challenge. I'm currently in the gym 5 days a week and my background comes from boxing and Muay Thai. My recent race has been the Tahoe tough mudder and my time was 3 hrs due to having to wait in lines for obstacles. My point is the was no challenge there was just fun. I also have completed SF bridge to bridge run. I have been looking for something to challenge myself so I signed for the vineman 70.3. My weakness I swimming so I have paid for a trainer to help me with my swimming. I don't have a lot of data to show my results or current stats. I just purchased the timex global trainer hrm to help me log my workouts. What I need is encouragement, goals and someone to follow and learn from help me please.
2013-01-04 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4560932

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member

holt1997 - 2013-01-03 7:26 PM Hello Steve, May I join?

"Beating old times and just finishing" .... words to live by!  Love it.  Welcome to the group.  We'll keep you motivated.

2013-01-04 8:16 AM
in reply to: #4561027

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member

It resulted in a 2:03 1/2 marathon which I felt was good for my first time.

Thats a great time for a 1st 1/2!

2013-01-04 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4561034

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
margarita - 2013-01-03 8:54 PM

I am in!

NAME: Margarita

Does WII Just Dance 4 count?

Welcome back!! Glad you're part of the group.  Hope the knee is back to normal and yes WII Just Dance counts, that game kicks my every time I play with the girls. Not sure why they don't have it as an option in the training log :-)

2013-01-04 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4561250

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Schwartzie - 2013-01-03 11:50 PM

I'd like to join your group Big Steve!

Welcome aboard Schwartzie!  Losing 30 pounds around the holidays is amazing.   

Lets all try and give each other the consistent and persistent encouragement mentioned in Schwartzie's post.

2013-01-04 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4561289

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member

Gilbert716 - 2013-01-04 12:51 AM HelloI'm Gilbert R. ...... What I need is encouragement, goals and someone to follow and learn from help me please.

Welcome to the group Gilbert!   Tough Mudder is quite the experience.  I did it in Oct '11.  I finished in 3 hrs as well but that race is not about the time, its about helping your fellow Mudders since many of the obstacles are impossible to scale solo.  I swore never to do it again unless I went with a group.  Doing it solo took away from the experience.

2013-01-04 8:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member

First computrainer session of the year was a ramp test this morning. Basically its a threshold test to record a score so that you can measure against it later in the season or next year.  Needed to record my heart rate after 3 minutes @ 150 Power, 3 minutes @ 200, @250 & 300 then my HR after a 1 minute rest.  I was supposed to stay in the same gear and be at 16 mph throughout the test. 

I stareted in the big ring up front and 3rd ring from the smallest in the rear but could not stay in that ring for the 300 segment. 
Had to go up a couple.
150 - HR: 135
200 - HR: 157
250 - HR: 164
300 - HR: 170
Recovery - HR: 140
Ramp Score = 766

2013-01-04 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4561614

User image

I plan to do a Lactate Threshold Test early next week on the bike, I have found a route I can ride with little to no traffic and mostly flat.  This will be my first time doing the test, I just recently got a HR Monitor so the HR training is still new to me.  I think I have made my Training log public, I have been using Strava and Training Peaks for the last year but will be posting more stuff on here for review.

Any tips or things to look out for when I do the test?

Thanks

2013-01-05 2:10 AM

New user
San Francisco

Hey all! I'd love to join! First IM this May and need a lot of knowledge and support.

NAME: Martin

STORY: I began running in 08. Before that I playing college (US) and before (dont tell the NCAA) and after professional soccer back home in Europe. This is not a glamorous as it sounds, there is a lot of money is soccer, even down to the town level. Anyhow, I ran a wee bit and ran the SF marathon in 3:38. The last 5 miles were HELL but when I crossed the line, I thought: I can go faster. 19 marathons and a a 3:10 and Boston later...I am now about a 3:50 marathoner. I completed my first half-ironman (crazily also my first tri) in March in Oceanside and finished in a 6:20. I swam a loooooooooong swim, passed about 1,20 people on the bike and survived the run. To be honest, I have no clue how to do this. I want to learn and I don't want to speak to the guys who make you feel bad about not knowing much. If I can make it through the swim, I think I can make it. I am from Ireland. We are not meant to swim.  

FAMILY STATUS: I live in San Francisco, CA so I have no excuses to not train...besides work and the time I want to spend with my fiance. We are getting married in October so there is a lot of planning and although she is wonderfully accepting (not that she understands which is so cute), I want to make sure I support us in all of our planning. Work is demanding, I am a strategy manager, but my company is a bay area company and they don't care about the hours, just about the results. I would equate it to a 9-6.

CURRENT TRAINING: Getting back into it. Not much training in the last month but killed it this week, hahaha.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:

2012:

• IM Oceanside 70.3
  • MCM
  • Kaiser Half, SG

2013 RACES

The main races for 2013 are going to be:

• IM Texas
  • Chicago Marathon (I have a bone to pick with Chicago)
  • MCM

WEIGHTLOSS: I’ve gained 20 lbs since I qualified for Boston. Combo of PX90 and weight gain. I would like to race at 180 lbs. I am now at 195.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD CONTRIBUTOR:

Well, I am an Irishman so people like that... Otherwise, I am motivated and love to motivate and encourage others. I hope that I can even make one of your workouts better.

2013-01-05 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4561838

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
jewinters - 2013-01-04 11:04 AM

Any tips or things to look out for when I do the test?

Thanks

I've never done one but they say its the best predictor of athletic endurance performance. Let us know how you do it and the results.

2013-01-05 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4563144

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
paddyirishman - 2013-01-05 3:10 AM

Hey all! I'd love to join! First IM this May and need a lot of knowledge and support.

NAME: Martin

Hey Martin, welcome to the group!  Great to have a Boston marathoner in the group.  Its going to be an intense few months to get ready for IM Texas but if your 1st Tri was a 70.3 you should do fine.   Would love to grab a Guinness when I'm in SF for Escape from Alcatraz.

2013-01-05 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4563258

New user
San Francisco
Sounds perfect Steve. Heading out and across the Golden Gate Bridge for a bike ride. We are very lucky to have this playground in our back yard!

2013-01-05 10:41 AM

User image

Anthem

UGH.....

2 days in a row with no training.  I've got excuses, but doesn't everyone.  I've got to get back to my healthy eating life style.  The last 2 days have been horrible.  I got to work in the middle of the night last night and got no sleep.  Fortunately, I'm skating tomorrow and as long as I am focusing on my dietary requirements, I should be back on the wagon after this weekend.

Anybody have any suggestions on exercises or other training techniques that would make up for my pool being closed for January.  My lap pool at my community center has been closed for repair to the heater and deck resurfacing.

E

2013-01-05 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Some gyms have the swimming machines.  Also, try http://www.swimmersguide.com/ to see if there is some other pool nearby that you don't know of.  2 days off isn't horrible but get back in quick!
2013-01-05 12:49 PM

User image

Regular
New Mexico

I'd like to join, if I could? 

I haven't done a tri since 2010 - in fact, I haven't done ANYTHING. OMGosh I am so out of shape and overweight now! SO, back to the beginning I go.

I quit smoking 11 days ago, on Christmas Day (woot!) after having smoked for 18 years. I plan on sticking with it and am enjoying being able to smell things again, and all the benefits that come with not smoking!

I started training this week on Monday. My plan is to train for an Olympic, and register for the Sprint if I'm not in Olympic race form by May. I've only ever done 5k's, Sprint Tri's and Duo's. My race is in June. I'm looking for something else between now and then to keep the motivation going, but I live in Nowhere, New Mexico and there isn't much around! Even a 5k would be helpful. I will likely have to travel 2-3.5 hours to find one though. 

I am a 36 year old female, 5'1" and *gulp* 145lbs. I was 115 two years ago. (obviously my profile picture is OLD) So not only do I need to build my fitness back up, I need to lose 30 lbs. I CAN do it, and by joining a mentor group again I will enjoy having people to hold me accountable!

Family is: my husband (who also does Tri's), and two girls - ages 9 and 6. I work full time and my husband is often gone for the military. I will be swimming at lunch, and have my trainer and treadmill set up in the living room, so although I don't get much outdoor training time, I do have the resources available at home. And since they're staring me in the face, they are hard to ignore! 

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Jeanie

2013-01-05 1:21 PM

User image

Home today with 2 sick kids. If the wife isn't to busy I will be going for a run tonight after she gets home but only time will tell.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Steve's Group (Year Three) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 10