BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2012-12-21 10:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Subject: Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: RIGHT NOW

GROUP FOCUS: Olympic/Intermediate Distance

NAME: swimmer04/ Jason  

STORY: What interesting things could I put in here....I'm 25 years old and recently married in June of 2012. I am from Lancaster, Pa and own 2 pitbulls who are the best dogs ever (they know how to suffer with me on my runs)! I've been doing triathlons for 5 years and got into them when I finished up my college swimming career. Been a competitve swimming since I was 6 years old and swam year round all through college and was also a swim coach for 4 years at two different clubs. I'm a triathlon junkie in the form that I read a lot of articles and retain a lot of information. Most of my training has been trial and error and over the past 2 years I have really pin pointed a great routine to reach peak performance. Outside of triathlons I also am a bike racer and have really found my cycling legs over the past year which have absolutely helped my tri's. I definitely excel in swimming and biking as one of the top overall athletes in each discipline at races. I'm on the boards daily and just love meeting new people and am easy to talk to and like to crack a lot of jokes.....you can't be serious all the time. If you want to have fun and suffer this is the place to be!!

FAMILY STATUS: Married w/ no kids, but 2 Pitbulls (Ava & Trigger)

CURRENT TRAINING: Last year and this year I have and will be focusing on Olympic Distance racing. My weekly training is typically 2 swims, 4 bikes and 3 runs and are pre-planned and very thought out. I can be pretty technical in my training when it comes to specific workouts that I love to do to test myself to the limits and get better. Over the winter I put in 2 full months of nothing but biking (ends 2nd week of Jan) then I will pick back up with my swimming and running. I push the swim and bike and try to hold on for the run. Play to your strengths.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2012 was a great season for me. Although I got married and didn't do as many races as I would have liked here are my results for the year...

Got the Nerve Triathlon: 2nd Overall, Bald Bear Triathlon: 3rd Overall, Tri the Wildwoods: 1st Overall, Keystone State Triathlon: 1st Overall, Blueman Duathlon: 8th Overall.

2013 RACES:  For the 2013 Season my goal is to qualify for HY-Vee US Championship throught the 5150 series and have a top 15 overall placing. Tentative Schedule looks like this...

Columbia 5150 Triathlon, Philadelphia Oly Tri, Steelman Tri (Olympic), Tri the Wildwoods, Hy-Vee Championship 

WEIGHTLOSS: I don't particularly have any weight loss goals aside from getting down to my race weight come that time. But I am more than happy to help others who are looking for weight loss tips.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I am very knowledgable about the sport and have such a great passion for it as well. I know with my expertise in swimming and background in biking that I will be able to help guide anyone who is looking to either get more information about triathlon or even those who are trying to improve. I am a very visual person and try to give as much detail as possible and I and very open to any questions or comments. There is never a dumb question...Throughout the 3 months I will try to regularly post workouts to help those who dont have a lot of direction and especially don't have the money for a coach or someone who can write everything for them. I know this sport takes time and patience, but at the end of the day it is truely about having fun and seeing how far we can push ourselves and accomplish our goals.

Edited by swimmer04 2013-01-18 5:46 AM

2012-12-27 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4544153

User image

New user
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN

Hey Jason, I'd like to join your group!

Name: morsebj / Ben

Story: I'm 26 years old and live in Nashville. I was a competitive swimmer in high school. Went to a college without a team, stopped swimming, and got pretty out of shape.  After college I started running to get back in decent shape. This year (2012), I decided that I wanted to start swimming again, and decided that since I was already running regularly I should try triathlons.  So I bought a cheap road bike in June and did my first sprint tri in July and an olympic in September.  This will be my second year doing tris, but my first full season. Right now I'm very confident in my swimming, I suck at the bike, and then I do ok on the runs.

Family: Married, no kids (yet...)

Current Training: I went back to a running focus after my tri in September and just completed my first marathon in December.  I've been taking it really easy for the last few weeks, but I'm about to get back into training mode.  I was thinking about doing a month or two of heavy biking like you've done, because I know I need it, but that's definitely out of my comfort zone... We'll see what happens.

This year's races: 6 Half Marathons, 1 Full Marathon, 1 Sprint Tri, 1 Olympic Tri, and 8 smaller 5Ks/mud/beer/fun runs.

2013 Races: I'm planning to run a Half Marathon per month from January through April.  For the summer I'd like to focus on the Olympic distance, doing maybe 4 or 5 of those and 1 or 2 sprints.  Still working on which specific races fit best in my schedule.  And then I'll end my season by trying to do my first Half Ironman in Augusta in September. 

2012-12-27 7:12 PM

New user

Spring
Hello Jason,I would like to join your mentor group.I was also a competitive swimmer from age 8 through high school. My career ended abruptly due to shoulder injury. I have always lead a very active lifestyle til recently. I am a police officer and recently suffered a broken arm and underwent surgery. I just had a plate and 9 screws added to my long list of shoulder reconstructions and other injuries.I was just released this week by the doctor to start slow and I am determined to get back in the saddle. I figured the pool was the safest place to start and that's where i am most comfortable. I have done numerous tris and marathons when I was younger but nothing in the last 13 years. Figured a small tri as a goal would help keep me in line. I am 36 years old, married, with 3 beautiful babies; Ages 11, 4, and 1.So basically I am starting from scratch and will need a lot of encouragement.Thank you for taking the time to help the "little" people!Tonya
2012-12-27 7:46 PM

Veteran
Las Vegas
Howdy group this sounds like the group for me to get me back on track so here my info.

NAME: pilotncommand172/ Jeff  

STORY: Wow where do I start. I guess the boring stuff. I'm 27 years young and call fabulous Las Vegas home. I have been doing triathlons since 06 I started as a way to get in shape for when I left for Air Force Basic Training. The demands of my job during my time in and working 12 hours days I lost a lot of my drive to train and had a bad last couple of seasons. How that I back to working a standard 40hr week and not the 60 or 70 hours weeks I want to earn back the title of triathlete that I haven't had the past couple of years. I took this last year off after a bad race in San Diego to focus on gaining the education necessarily to be successful in the sport, and ponied up the money to attend the USAT level 1 clinic and am now a level 1 coach. I haven't began training clients yet as I mainly wanted the information to get my own training back on track. This upcoming season has been deemed the season of redemption after a couple of bad seasons with injuries and DNF's.

FAMILY STATUS: Single with an cute puppy for a wing man

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I'm training to go back to race the ITU San Diego race. Last year I was there and didn't even make it through the swim as I was battling food poisoning from some less than stellar idea of eating fish tacos and other food along the board walk the couple days leading up to the race.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Currently I have two paid for the Vegas tri club sprint race on April 7th and ITU San Diego on April 20th. being from Iowa I think I am going to go race the HY-Vee Triathlon later on in the year in the open category (sorry no US Championship for me this year) I might do a RAGNAR Relay Vegas or the Rock n Roll Vegas marathon this year as well depends how the 1st half of the year goes. 

WEIGHTLOSS: My only weight loss goal is to get back down to race weight which when I had my couple of good years was about 20 pounds lighter the main thing is to change my diet from a typical single man diet to that of a healthier diet that a triathlete should eat.
2012-12-27 8:53 PM

Bartlett, TN

Hey Jason,

I'd like to join your group.  Your metoring plans and objectives sound like just what I'm looking for.

Name:  David

Story: Did an olympic and smaller triathlons and ran mainly 5k's before kid's activities took over (about 25 years ago).  My daughter (age 24) decided this past June that she wanted to tri so I decided to join her.  She is my training partner when our work schedules line up.  We started training in June and did a sprint 3 weeks and 4 weeks after as well as another a little later as we worked to our main sprint race the middle of October (600yds/16miles/3miles).  During this time period, I changed out my bike from by mid-1980's Raleigh Marathon heavy steel bike for a very nice used carbon bike.  My swimming and running are okay (been running more since October) and my biking is bad.

I'm 53 years old and have been fairly active but used basketball and racquetball and some tennis and weights as training with running added in when I couldn't make other activities during the week.  I want to start a new training program and am having difficultly figuring the distances and times based on my current level and increasing my run miles to do the half-marathon with the Oly in May being the main goal.

2012 Races: 3 sprints and one super-sprint plus some 5k runs

2013 Races: Memphis-In-May Olympic (May 19); half-marathon in FEB or MAR; more but not decided yet

Weightloss:  lost 15+ pounds as I got into training this year; gained a couple back once I added weight training back to routine but at least my waist didn't get bigger again.  Need to lose 10 to 12 pounds for sure and a few more wouldn't hurt.  I do okay when I eat oranges as an evening snack but if I ever switch to cookies or ice cream, I'm back to being hooked on it.  We eat supper kind of early so I always feel like I need snack before bed.

Family: married with 2 grown kids

Edited by Day-Day 2012-12-28 9:37 AM
2012-12-27 8:59 PM

Hi Jason,

I am 23 from the great north east and have been telling myself for nearly a year that I would start training seriously for triathalons.  This site has been a great staging point for nutrition, work out schedules and cross training.  I plan to complete at least one half tri before July and maybe more after that! 

My training lacks almost entirely swimming but plenty of running and biking.  I feel I may have to bite the bullet and buy a membership to get my swim hours up to par.  As far as my other goals, I am 5'8" at 153lbs. and I'm thinking about putting ON at least another 5-7 pounds.  Sound like a bad plan if I'm training for tri's?

Best,

-Tyler (surmanator)

2012-12-27 10:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

NAME: Dave, from Barrie Ontario Canada

STORY: Ugh, this is going to be long sorry. I started training in 2010 with the intent to run. I found that I hated running, although I know its good for me I just dont "like it" Im kind of the 2hr Half, 25min 5km runner. Not embarrassing but certainly not good and I am very heavy footed, i just dont "glide" down the road. With that in mind I bought a bike, I like to bike, seeing as I was still running and then biking I figured I could add in swimming easily enough and be a triathlete! I signed up for the Muskoka HIM with out having done an actual triathlon (it was 10 months away at the time I signed up) I trained like an animal through the winter and dropped from 200lbs to about 165lbs. My first race was a 2km/55km/10km race, it wasnt fast but It was absolutely fantastic. I also did a couple of half marathons a sprint and did the swim in a relay. I did my HIM and found the run was very very hilly after a very very hilly bike - it was difficult to say the least but I did it.

So here is where the wheels fall off - During that 2011 season my dad, at 59 years old, was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer.  From there and my dads death in April of 2012, training, and pretty much everything for that matter has been very challenging as I lack pretty much all motivation. I did a 2 day charity ride for cancer this summer (180km/110km) and a trail run (DFL in my age group!) My weight has again shot back up to 200lbs due to inactivity and eating like an idiot.

I have had enough, no more excuses, I did it once I will do it again. 

other stuff: My "real sports" include whitewater kayaking and snowboarding. I went back to school at 35 and graduated this past August - still working on landing that dream job.

2013 RACES:  I have to sign up for some but Olys and xterras

WEIGHTLOSS: have to get back down to around 170lbs or better. I have to stop eating like an idiot and using food as an emotional crutch.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 11 years, 2 kids 7 and 10yo.

CURRENT TRAINING: HA! not a darn thing! I fell off a ladder 2 months ago and hurt my knee so used that as an excuse for not running. I am picking up a tread mill from my mom this week to help eliminate the weather excuse. My bike trainer was worn out, it sounded like a chainsaw and the metal roller where the tire runs had a distinctive groove it. It is currently at Blackburn and I am hoping to get a warranty replacement SOON!!!. Swimming - no excuses, I need to get to the pool. I have been snowboarding a lot though Wink

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: What I lack in ability I make up for in sheer stubbornness and an unwillingness to quit. IF I can get out of the current funk that I am in and get rolling.....

Edited by DaveL 2012-12-27 10:16 PM
2012-12-29 4:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Alright groupies!!! Let's get this party started!!!! How has everyone's training been going, good to see there is interest and this is going to be a fun time. Im in the middle of a recovery week so easy hour on bike followed by easy 30 min run all indoors as we just had about 4 inches of snow here. Any questions you guys have just ask ....looks like we have a good mix and a police officer!! Maybe I can get some good tips in case I get pulled over lol
2012-12-29 4:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Ben, I definitely recommend a biking focused month or two if your schedule allows. Biking is the longest section and can really help seperate yourself. I think amd race as follows...get out of the water 1 or 2 position and push the bike to stay ahead and gain distance...then your out of site and out of mind on the run...makes it harder for those runners mentally.
2012-12-29 4:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Tonya, keep at it!! Stay positive and focus on the small improvements ...don't try to push to hard to soon. I did that with my IT band injury and git lucky it could have been worse
2012-12-29 4:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Jeff, hopefully I see you at Hy-Vee even if not there for same exact race!

David, we can certainly work out your training issues!

2012-12-29 4:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Dave, sorry to hear about your dad, but great to hear you have the fight to go forward. Try to pick up with biking and swimming and try to make workouts fun.
2012-12-29 7:04 PM
in reply to: #4550833

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy

Tyler,

Definitely want to hit the pool! Although they say you cant win a Triathlon in the swim you can certainly lose it...get your yards/meters in the pool and dont forget to add some sprints. As far as your weight goes that is completely different for everyone. Basically trial and error. I am 5'10" and my race weight is about 170lbs. I have swimmers shoulders (broad) and muscular legs from biking. Been concentrating on more weight lifting this year. You don't want to lose to much weight where you are not strong enough, but need to make sure you have plenty of strength so its a fine line. 

2012-12-29 7:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy

Sorry everyone for the many post but didn't realize my group was LIVE and was trying to catch up. Hopefully I get to know everyone well and we can make some great progress.. I typically don't log my workouts on BT (use my own excel spreadsheet and graphs) but I will try my best to give you all ideas of what I typically do for training. I will also post some key workouts I do that have helped me tremendously over the years (lots of trial and error). 

Tip #1: Make sure you incorporate weight lifting or some kind of strength training into your training. This will help you a lot and is a great way to make improvements in every sport. 3 days a week is probably best but 2 days a week during the season is sufficient. Don't skip your core either it is the main controls for swimming biking and running! 

2012-12-30 6:54 PM

User image

, Washington

My name is Nat and I'd like to join your group Jason.  I'm also a former competitive swimmer (age 7 through 18).  I'm 39 and have been swimming on a Masters swim team for the past 4 years.  I've been regularly logging 3-4 swims per week (each about 2500 to 2800 meters), but this past month have dropped back to three to make time for running and cycling.  Our Masters group has several triathletes, so I'm drawn to give triathlons a try.  I'd love to be competitive with my teammates on dry land, but have little experience out of the water.  I ran in the Army years ago, but have no cycling background to speak of.  I recently bought a road bike and am looking forward to competing in an Olympic distance event in late May in Walla Walla, WA, perhaps another event two weeks later in Moses Lake, WA, and then an event on Labor Day weekend in Kennewick, WA.

Family Status:  Single with two daughters, ages 10 and 8

Goals:  1)  Meet other like-minded athletes.  2)  Learn all the things a newby needs to learn to complete his first triathlon.  3)  Develop a cycling and running base, and a good strategy for not totally getting my butt kicked after the swim!  4)  Most of all, have fun while training (that's the main reason I swim masters... we work hard, but have lots of fun)!

2012-12-30 7:14 PM
in reply to: #4554315

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Nat, welcome aboard!!! I am developing a good bunch of fellow competitive swimmers here!! Glad to hear your taking the leap into triathlons. Don't get frustrated with training. When I first started getting into triathlons I was a total fish out of water...I couldn't run more than a 1/2 mile without having to stop and walk and I was is swimming shape! It took me a while but everything eventually came together. Being a strong swimmer I would maybe recommend cutting swimming to 2 days a week to get the most running and cycling training in. You will definitely want to focus on cycling and read up on everything as much as possible. Most importantly have fun!!! I have met the greatest people while doing this sport and wouldnt give it up for anything

2012-12-31 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Brought a "dreadmill" home yesterday from my moms. Im pretty sure it has about 5km on it Hauling it up stairs and out to the trailer then from the trailer down to my basement was a bit of a workout in itself. I am hauling drywall into the house today and will be at the ski hill this afternoon/night. I might try to sneak in a quick run to test the dreadmill today.
2012-12-31 7:34 PM

Bartlett, TN
Subject: Training Plan for Olympic with Half-Marathon 2 Months Prior

Jason,  I'm still thinking of doing a half-marathon on March 17 and have signed up for an olympic triathlon scheduled for May 19.  I'm starting the 20-week 3x balanced beginner's program for the olympic but adding another run per week with higher miles (longer time) for each run.  My running portions would be 4 to 6 miles for 3 runs and 8 miles for the long run and increase the long run by a mile or so every couple of weeks to reach 12 miles two weeks before the half-marathon.  What are your thoughts?

If I can work a 5th run in during a week, I'll probably make that run 2 or 3 miles and cut a mile or two off of one of the other runs that week.  Should I count on the biking and swimming to supplement the running normally required for training for a half-marathon and cut some of the running distance/time out of my plan?

I will probably miss out on some workouts each week due to scheduling issues but hope to be able to stick close to 3 swims and 3 bikes a week.  I'm using an indoor trainer now for the bike.

2013-01-01 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4555816

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Subject: RE: Training Plan for Olympic with Half-Marathon 2 Months Prior
Seems like a good start. I don't know what you fitness background is or what shape your are currently in, but don't do to much to soon. What is your main focus? The HM or the Tri? 3 swims, 3 bikes and 4 runs per a week will definitely get you in tri shape IF used properly. Make sure you schedule in rest days because these are probably more important than training days. If your main focus is the HM I suggest running 6 days a week and maybe on swimming and biking one day. If your focus is the tri then your schedule looks good just ease into it. Like you said work your way up the mileage. Obviously some days will include two workouts and that is a great opportunity to throw in a brick every now and then but I don't recommend it every week. With that schedule I think you will still have a good HM
2013-01-01 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Happy New Year to my Mentees....any training plans for the first day of the new year....start of on the right foot!
2013-01-01 4:01 PM

Bartlett, TN
Subject: How to Fight Seat Pain Using Bike Trainer?

Happy New Year Jason and fellow groupies.

Any tricks to making it less painful on the rear-end when riding the trainer?  I have only been through a handful of workouts on the trainer so far.  I have to sit upright every once in while due to the pain from the seat after an extended period of time in one position.  Does this work itself out after more rides using the trainer?

I wear padded bike shorts and the seat doesn't bother me very much when riding outside.  I know outside there is a lot of weight shifting taking place through the natural course of the ride that doesn't happen on the trainer.

2013-01-01 7:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Pain on the trainer does go away with time assuming your saddle is reasonably suited to you
With the newyear came the official weigh in. I knew it wasn't going to be pretty but 205lbs was a bit of a shock! I was down to about 165lbs coming into the spring of 2011. I have my work cut out for me!

Short run on the treadmill, only 2km but it's a start.
2013-01-01 7:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Double post

Edited by DaveL 2013-01-01 7:11 PM
2013-01-02 7:53 AM
in reply to: #4556683

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Subject: RE: How to Fight Seat Pain Using Bike Trainer?

Pain will go away after some time in the saddle. I assume you use some kind of chamois cream? works wonders, at least for me!

Dave, keep up the work. New year, new you!

As for my workout I rung in the New Year with a hard ride. 30 degree and cloudy outside, took out the TT bike for a 2x20 set. First 20 min avg 23 MPH, 2nd 20 minute avg 23.8. then instead of riding easy for the last 45 minutes I decided to ride at roughly 80-85% FTP. Everytime I started up any hill my legs were screaming! I knew it was a great workout when I finished and had to lay down on the floor cause I was having trouble breathing! Wife wonders why I put myself through that pain sometimes!! I love it!

2013-01-02 3:39 PM

Would love to join your group for some direction and guidance.

NAME: Andrea aka Drea

STORY: Wanted to better my health and lose weight for my wedding which was in May. Competed in 2 5k's as a way to get fit. Now I want to challege myself with a Triathlon

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 1 fur baby: Cat named Alby

CURRENT TRAINING:  Gym 3x a week- 5k on the treadmill and strength training.

RACES: Divas 2011 and 2012

GOAL: Compete Mini Mighty Man Triathlon

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 15