BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mamma Amy Knows Best - Mentor Group Year One - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2012-12-21 10:45 AM

User image

Subject: Mamma Amy Knows Best - Mentor Group Year One - CLOSED

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY:  I can start now
GROUP FOCUS: (new racers from sprint to 70.3 and 140.6)
This year I will attempt my first full-iron so I’m happy to mentor anybody looking for advice but I am not yet an experienced Ironwoman.

I am a mid-pack triathlete so I can’t help with speedster advice.  Much more about training successfully to happily complete short and long distances.   

NAME:   user name miamiamy - my name is wait for it ... Amy.  Guess where I call home?

MY STORY:
I triathlon because I’m hopeful that it will keep the wrinkles and the cardiologist away.

I turn 40 this year. I started triathlon as a way to have a fun family activity with my brother. He swims I run we both owned bikes - seemed like a good fit. Like so many folks we started with a sprint distance and while the first race was basically a disaster we were hooked.

I swore I had no interest in an Iron distance event but slowly what seemed impossible began to seem doable. I enjoy training and I love racing. I also love traveling to race in fun places where possible that should include my little brother. I may never win anything other than a door prize but I race with a smile.

FAMILY STATUS:   Married with two smallish kids and two college-aged step kids.

CURRENT TRAINING:
Like many parents I squeeze my training in around my kid’s schedule. Luckily I have a supportive spouse so I do get freedom on the weekends to put in long hours before noon when I turn back into a pumpkin and have to ferry my kids to birthday parties.

I do have a coach to keep me on track while I shoot for my iron goal. I also am part of a masters swimming group. I currently train between 10-15 hours a week.

While I love training and racing triathlon I do believe that family comes first (always).  I do this for fun and while getting faster is definitely fun - when it stops being fun I’m out.
I’m also pretty sure a new training outfit or training gizmo will indeed make me faster.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
In 2012 I stepped up to the 70.3 distance. I had three on my schedule but due to life “getting in the way” I completed two of those. In fact one had the swim cancelled so to be honest one and 2/3.

2013 RACES:  I enjoy racing and I live in a place where I’m lucky enough to race almost all year long. So this year I’ve signed up for a lot of races. It may be too much but we’ll see.
2013 is about stepping up to the full distance. I (perhaps irresponsibly) signed up for Ironman France as my first race. IronMan Florida might be my backup.
January - Miami 1/2 marathon
February - Tour de Cure
March - 70.3 Puerto Rico (maybe)
April - Nautica South Beach and St. Anthony’s Triathlon
June - Ironman France
September - 70.3 Augusta
November - Ironman Florida (maybe)

WEIGHTLOSS:
I concentrate on eating whole foods (and plenty of them) and while I am a girl and therefore I do watch the scale. But I don’t currently have any weight loss goals.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:
I am not the fastest on the course but I do like to take on big challenges and figure out how to make them happen.

I have opinions about everything and I like to help others - give back and all that. When I was a newer triathlete I too came to this site for help with my many questions. Since I’ve been around the course a few times I’m looking forward to giving back to other triathletes who have questions.

I like to spend time online and I hope this virtual team helps to keep me on track with my crazy France project.

Edited by miamiamy 2012-12-28 9:37 AM

2012-12-26 6:48 PM
in reply to: #4544169

New user

Subject: RE: Mamma Amy Knows Best - Mentor Group Year One - OPEN

Hello Amy and thank you for serving as a mentor.

I am new to swimming but managed to complete two sprint tris last year.  I completed 3 but in the third, I walked through the water because it was so terrible and shallow, I could not finish the swim.  I am 59,  180 pounds, live in Brookyn New York.  A former heart patient and cancer survivor, I Tri to keep healthy, maintain my weight loss and have something to look forward to doing each day.  I am aiming to lose 20 pounds before my next Tri April 21 and it is not without challenges.  Food is like a lethal weapon and I use if for self destruction not self defense.  I do try, but my lack of planning drives me down the wrong road.  Now that I said it, I can address it. Right now I have to stop and tread water.  I have taken intermediate and private swim, but continue to struggle with endurance.  My immediate goal is to swim non stop for 1/2 mile.  I have so much to say, but will save it for another time. 

I wish you well on completing your first iron man.   I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Rose Savage Jackman (look me up on google).

2012-12-26 9:09 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
????

Well you said you like challenges: well here I am, old and overweight but with the heart of a lion. I would love to join your group if you would have me.

Name:  Jredfly - the first four letters are my children initials. Real name is James.

My Story: I want to do my first Sprint Triathlon at age 55 because I am a little crazy. I lost 35 pounds over the past two years via running but still look like a little old fat Irish guy. After doing a few 5k’s I thought I would give a little back and volunteered at a local Sprint Triathlon at Nantasket Beach in Hull about 15 miles south of Boston this fall and asked myself, am I crazy enough to do this and the answer was a resounding yes!

Family Status: Most happily married guy ever to my wonderful wife Julie and my four great kids who are ages 16, 14, 12 & 10. Every one in the family has caught the running and biking bug since I started which is awesome.

Current Training: For two years I was just running 3 miles three times per week but two months ago started running harder with the help of a friend who is an accomplished runner. I am up to 30 miles per week which consists of 3 six mile runs and one 12 mile run on Saturdays. I have seen my time drop from my 10 minute mile pace to 8:22 during my last 5k. Started swimming in November and was lucky enough to have found a class with a great inspirational coach and great people. It is held at 6:00 AM every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning for a hard hour. Not being a great swimmer I am still trying to get my breathing and stroke down but it has been slow. Haven’t gotten on the bike since this past October, at which time I did my first organized 25 mile charity ride in the pouring rain (lucky me) without much training, wind was good but fell back a little on the hills. Working out this hard is all new to me, I am up 5:00 AM five days a week to do my running and swimming and haven’t had the stamina yet to work out twice a day to ride on my trainer and do some wanted weight training. Been set back this past week with a severe case of the flu but hopefully plan on hitting it hard in a couple of days when my chest clears up – I am chomping at the bit – this stuff gets addictive.

This year’s races: Feed the Need 5k, Timothy Steel e 5k, Hingham 4th of July 4.2 mile, End of Summer 5 miler, Smegs Legs 5 miler, South Boston 5k, Devils Chase 6.66 miler, Hingham Turkey Trot 5k.

2013 Races: Signed up for the Run to Remember Half Marathon in Boston on May 26th and the New Bedford Whaling City Sprint Triathlon on July 7th.

Weight Loss: I am 5’9” and I am currently at 180 pounds. Like I said I lost 35 pounds the last two years but have not been able to lose more weight even with all the working out I have been doing and eating less than 1500 calories a day. Went to see a nutritionist and she said I was starving myself which was storing fat and losing muscle. She told me to double my carb and protein intake, I have been less tired but have still I have not lost a pound.  I feel if I could drop another 20 pounds that would really help my running.  I work to hard to be carrying this extra weight and would like to get down to 160.

2012-12-27 9:44 AM

User image

Hi and welcome: Rose and James!

I started today with an open water swim. It's cool here by Florida standards. The air was about 60 and the water much warmer than that maybe 70 but a good wetsuit practice swim.

You guys have some good goals coming up. Like I said I am not a weight loss expert. James I think you're on the right track working with a nutritionist. Keep at it.

Personally, the only big weight loss I've done was after I had my kids. I have 2 and had to lose 20ish lbs after each. I will say I had the most success when I really cut back on the cereal grains I was eating and replaced those with fruits and veggies.

Rose - It's crazy hard to keep any goals in check during the holidays so you're really getting a head start here which is great. You've got a good defined goal for your first race. I look forward to seeing you achieve it.

James - I have to say you are more ready for your first tri than I was for my first tri. The only leg of the race I was actually ready for was the run. So if you keep at it you're going to have a great race. Give yourself plenty of time to recover from the flu.

Everybody have a great day!

2012-12-27 1:36 PM

Phoenix
Hi Amy,

I'd like to join the group.

NAME: Kassie Lamp

MY STORY:
I'm a 33 year old college professor in Arizona. I did my first sprint tri in 2009 while I was writing my dissertation in the hopes of maintaining some sanity or at least balancing what I was doing to my brain by also doing it to my body. I raced again (another sprint) when I first moved to Arizona in 2010. Since then I have had some pretty painful (though apparently not serious) issues with plantar fasciitis. I let it back me off of races pretty much entirely. I did a 5K this October and learned minimalist shoes where not the answer to my problem. I have new shoes and a podiatrist and am looking forward at getting back to training. My running needs the most work--I have trouble pacing myself in addition to my issues with heel striking.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a man who runs circles around me.

CURRENT TRAINING: Not--just starting back. I'm going back and forth between picking a run focused plan to work out my issues there or going light on the running, and cross training hard to give my foot a break. I'm slow in the bike and run--I'd like to work on that. I feel like my swimming is pretty solid.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Das 21st Frank Kush Oktoberfest Foot Race (5K Oct.)

2013 RACES: Nothing currently planned would like to do a sprint in four months or so.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 5'9'' 150. I could stand to drop 10-15 lbs but it isn't a priority. I'm vegetarian.
2012-12-27 2:05 PM

User image

New user

Hi, Amy. I wanted to join a mentoring group and read your background. I'm nearly 40 and got into this at the urging (goading?) of my younger brother. I've been running for about a year and a half and started biking and swimming spring 2012. I did one mini sprint (Greenswell) and most of a sprint (Giant Eagle) (I kinda freaked out on the swim and couldn't complete that part, but no one noticed so I went ahead and did the bike and run). I was signed up for another sprint (Rev3 Cedar Point) (with a wetsuit and visions of redeeming myself on the swim), but it was canceled due to weather.

In 2013, I'm aiming for a half marathon in early May (Capital City) and hopefully a couple of sprint tri events. I'm just not sure which ones will work with my schedule yet. The one I wanted to do I can't, as I hope to be in Lake Placid supported my baby brother in his first full Iron Man.

I'm excellent at putting together a training plan and reading everything I can get my hands on. I'm not as good at following my plan. And my swim endurance is terrible, making that my least favorite of the three sports. I'm in a running club to train for the half Mary, have my bike set up on a trainer and have access to a good pool (though I have to talk myself into going EVERY SINGLE TIME). My eating habits are out of control lately and I'd like to lose 15 pounds this year so I can reach my goal of being overweight, rather than obese!

Look forward to a fit and healthy 2013!

- Kristy

2012-12-27 2:16 PM

New user

Minneapolis

NAME:   user name: hannahpete -  name/ Hannah

MY STORY:

I have done 5 sprint triathlons spread out over the past 7 years. Plus a few indoor Tri's and my local YWCA.  This summer was my "fastest" one by a few minutes.  I am not a good exerciser or sticking to a training plan.  I mainly have focused on running the past few years because that is my weakest area, biking not far behind.  I was a swimmer all of my early life - so I always cheat with that and get away with the minimum training because that IS like the saying, "riding a bike" for me.  I would like to do my first Olympic Tri this year, which I will REALLY actually need to train for.  I know I can do each of the individual distances (not anything wonderfully fast - but that is the kind of athlete I am and have been my whole life) but putting all 3 of the Olympic Distances together will be a HUGE training task for me.  I have done many running races with the run/walk method including a half marathon.  I live in Minnesota - so indoor training is what I am doing right now - even though winter running is quite wonderful - again I am needing a break from running and it has of course gone from a mild fall to a COLD December.

FAMILY STATUS:   Married with a 3 1/2 year old daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING:
When I can....I am a little over running right now - so I am trying to find a balance with other classes at the Y.  I want to do strength focus over the winter plus swimming since that IS what I am good at.  Then get riding in along with some runs on the track or treadmill and some other fun fitness classes such as yoga/zumba/core classes.  I would like to do an indoor tri in March (short distances) but that will keep me motivated to do all three areas.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
In 2012 I did a few 5k's with a 10 mile race - was training for a 1/2 marathon but ended up heading out of town that weekend.  Did one indoor tri and then a sprint tri in August. 

2013 RACES

Will have to find an Olympic Tri. distance - The one in my area is the same July weekend of my brothers wedding in CO. 

August - Sprint Tri.

WEIGHTLOSS:
This is an ongoing battle for me.  I am still not under my pre-pregnancy weight 3 1/2 years later....but I was not at an ideal weight pre-pregnancy either.  This is why I would like to focus on strength and core along with cardio. 

2012-12-27 4:16 PM

User image

New user

Hi Amy

Looks like a good group forming, be great to be part of it. I'll post some more tomorrow as I'm in the UK and it's time for sleep soon. Briefly I'm Neil, 47 years of age, married with 2 teenage daughters. I've done several sprint triathlons and three Olympics so far but not done one since July 2011 for various reasons. I have signed up to do the UK 70.3 in June which is one of the hardest on the circuit as most of the bike, and the run is uphill! I did a few half marathons this year and one full one in October, now back in training and focussed on the UK 70.3! Looking forward to being part of the group, happy to throw a few thoughts in too as I do hold a British Triathlon Coaching qualification and coach a group of children through the club I'm in over here, great fun. Hope life is cool over your side of the pond x

2012-12-27 4:46 PM

Hi Amy. I would love to join your group - you sound like a great mentor! I am 37 and haven't been working out much, but because I'm a former marathoner, it doesn't take long for me to get back into shape.  I am not a good swimmer and am planning to take more swimming classes in the upcoming months. I would like to train for a sprint triathlon in 2013 and I'm excited to take the challenge. Look forward to hearing from you.
2012-12-27 5:40 PM

User image

Veteran
NAME:  Andrea

MY STORY: I'm a 42 year old (43 in Jan) fulltime working, obese woman.  I participated in sports as a child including swim team.  I coached youth swim team for 10 years.  I have a desk job and spend a decent amount of time taking my son to his activities. 

When I turned 40 I purchased a treadmill to walk on.  After a month or so that turned into some jogging and couch to 5K program.  I "ran" a few 5Ks in 2010.  In the summer I got a hybird bike and started using the bike "rails to trails" near my work at lunch time.  I got a pool membership and swam during some lunches as the weather got cooler.  In early 2011 I did 2 indoor tris and in Sept 2011 I did my first sprint tri (women only) with the run being a trail run.  Last winter I did 1 indoor tri.  I got a road bike in the spring.  In Aug I did a different sprint tri.  It was an evening race in August.  It was crazy hot and humid.  I can't say that I really enjoyed myself. 

FAMILY STATUS:   Married with a 7 year old son.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Need to restart.  I haven't run since Aug.  I've biked a bit and swam a bit.  I have imported the beginner cycling program into my training log and plan to do that on my trainer.  I plan to run/walk and gradually build to 3 30 minute runs a week.  I plan to swim 2 times a week weather and work permitting in Jan and Feb and will join a Masters practice 2 times a week in March/April.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 1 indoor tri, 1 5K, and 1 sprint.

2013 RACES:  I'm not sure if I will race.  I may do a 5K with my son in April.  I've considered doing either a bike ride for charity in June or the aquabike of a local Oly.  We'll see...

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost 40 lbs in 3 years.  I need to lose 15 more to be overweight instead of obese. 

2012-12-27 6:56 PM

Hi, Amy! I would like to join your group & thank you in advance for mentoring.

My name is Carletta. I am 41 years old & seeking to complete my first sprint Tri in June 2013. In 2012, I was on a path to try to complete my first triathlon. But, my personal circumstances arose, and I stopped training.  I am going to go for it again in 2013!  Along the way, I hope to lose about 40 pounds.  I am a mediocre swimmer (at best).  But, I'm taking lessons to improve my form. I'm looking forward to tips and advice, especially around practical things like BRICKs and how to setup transition areas, etc.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2012-12-27 7:23 PM

I too would like to be mentored by you.

I am 57 and did 2 mini tri's in 2008.  I just recently thought about signing up to do one again in April but didn't know if I could be ready.  When I did them back in '08, I wanted to win and I podiumed each time in my age group.  Now I'd be thrilled just to finish.  Running was my weak link but I haven't bike since then.  I'm swimming now about 40 - 50 (25 yd) laps in 30 minutes.  I would appreciate your help with some inspiration, motivation and training tips.  Is your group still open?

Thx

2012-12-27 7:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Rainy WA

Hi Amy,

My plan is to finish a sprint tri this summer. My first one will be indoors in March. I'm 54, not athletic but determined. The sprint has been on my to-do list for awhile.

I'm about 40 lbs. over what I'd like to be. I've done some running in the past, very slowly. And lots of walking including a marathon. I like to bike except for downhill, speed and anything involving heights like bridges. Other than that, I'm fine.Wink I've just joined a masters swim team. I'm slow.

I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Thanks for mentoring,

Mary

2012-12-27 9:31 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Hi Amy! I would love to join your group if there is still room. (I'm sitting in a hotel right now, wifi is wonky, so forgive me for the brevity - and/or if this post cuts out mid-way through.) I'm 40ish, married, 3 kids, and moved to LA two years ago from upstate NY. I decided back in September to beginning training for a triathlon. Since then, I've completed a couch to 5K program and will begin training in all three sports in the next week. I was an athlete as a kid, swimmer, lacrosse, and soccer player. But I've never competed in anything quite as complicated as this, so I could use all the advice I can get. Thanks so much!!
2012-12-27 9:45 PM

Kenosha

Amy, etc.

I'd like to join up with the group if there is room. Can't locate my group from last year and liked the encouragement and advice that was offered. A great bunch of people they were.

NAME:   John_S from Kenosha, WI.

MY STORY:
I triathlon because it's ridiculously fun and triathletes are genuinely nice people. This will be my second full season. Prior to Tri, I was a fitness class rat and did my best to just do something as often as I could. Tri focused my training efforts on goals.

I turn 46 this year and started triathlon (last year) as a way to improve my fitness and due to the inspiration of a good friend. I've known Jim as a co-worker and friend for over 15 years now and in September of 2011 I went to Madison to cheer him on during his quest to complete a full Ironman. He did it. That was all it took to get me fired up and training.

My 2012 completed races are:

• May 12th - 5K Pleasant Prairie, WI. DONE
  • June 10th - Sprint TRI, my first complete TRI ever, Lake in The Hills IL. DONE
  • June 24th - OLY TRI, my first complete OLY, Pleasant Prairie, WI. DONE
  • June 30th - 10K Fire Cracker Run, Kenosha, WI. DONE
  • July 4th - 5K Run for Freed, Antioch, IL. DONE
  • July 14th - 5K For Pete's Sake, Kenosha, WI. DONE
  • July 21st - 5K Prairie Family Fun Days, Pleasant Prairie, WI. Done
  • July 29th - OLY TRI, TRIING For Children, Eagle, WI. DONE
  • Sept. 15th - OLY TriRock Lake Geneva, WI. DONE
  • October 13th - 5K Trail Run, Pleasant Prairie, WI. DONE
  • November 17th - 5K Run with The Turkeys, Pleasant Prairie, WI. DONE
  • December 8th - 5K Stufff the Sleigh, Racine, WI. DONE

FAMILY STATUS:   Married for almost 25 years with two girls (21 & 23).

CURRENT TRAINING:
I'm just starting back to Tri specific training in January. Between my last Tri in September and the present time I've been jogging periodically to just maintain some run fitness, no pool work, and some RPM Spin classes to keep the bike legs going. For the month of December I've been lifting weights and doing body weight exercises, pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, yoga, etc. to get ready for the grind to start in January. My runs are typically 3 miles and all other sessions are generally 1 to 1.5 hours per day. When in my Tri specific training routine I generally run & swim on Mon/Wed, bike on Tue/Thur and Sat (some Saturdays are brics), Starting in June I also add open water swim (1 mile) on Tue/Thur evenings.

Come race day for any given race, if I am unprepared I have only myself to blame. My daughters are adults and my wife is a CNA and works most evenings so when I get home from work, it's all about my choices. In the coming season I need to focus on training consistency and proper fueling.

I am active in my church and so it and my job are my only time competitors that can affect my routine from time to time.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
In 2013 I plan to do my first 70.3 half Iron distance in July. I will also do my first 1/2 marathon in May. Other than adding these two races I will do similar events to my 2012 schedule. I would also like to improve my placement within age group as I am just downright slloooowww. I think my speed is fundamentally a BMI factor.  I'm usually near the back of my age group.

2013 RACES:  Races are so much fun, I just love them. I also really enjoy the people that I meet at them. 2013 is going to be adding two longer distance events mentioned above.

• May 4th - 1/2 Marathon (Cheesiest Marathon), Kenosha, WI.
  • May 11th - 5K, Family Fun Run, Pleasant Prairie, WI.
  • June 16th - Sprint Lake in The Hills, IL.
  • June 23rd - OLY, Pleasant Prairie, WI.
  • June 29th - 10K Fire Cracker Run, Kenosha, WI.
  • July 4th - 5K Run for Freed, Antioch, IL.
  • July 13th - 5K For Pete's Sake, Kenosha, WI.
  • July 21st - 1/2 Ironman, Racine, WI.
  • July 28th - OLY TRI, TRIING For Children, Eagle, WI.
  • Sept. 14th - OLY TriRock Lake Geneva, WI.
  • October 12th - 5K Trail Run, Pleasant Prairie, WI.
  • November 23rd - 5K Run with The Turkeys, Pleasant Prairie, WI.
  • December 7th - 5K Stufff the Sleigh, Racine, WI.
  • Plus more when I can find them. Planning the race season is a challenge.

WEIGHTLOSS:
I'm overweight, been overweight for most of the past 15 years of my adult life since leaving the military. I am type II diabetic and have made some progress and reduced diabetic meds last year. Also have seen a healthy drop in cholesterol levels. I'd like to see continued progress with both the diabetes treatment and continuing to reduce cholesterol levels. My weightloss goal is 25 pounds gone before the 1/2 marathon in May and at least 5 more from that for the 1/2 Iron distance in July.

ADDITIONALLY:

I don't get online everyday and am not good about logging the workouts using BT tracking. If it's a requirement I'll do my best, with this confession that it was the logging and my training/work schedules that caused me to drop participation in the group I was in last year about the middle of April.

Regards,

John

Edited by John_S 2013-01-01 5:48 PM
2012-12-27 9:48 PM

New user

Greetings Amy! This group sounds awesome and I would love to join! I am Stephanie...age 37...mama to four in TN. We have recently had two of ours diagnosed with autism. I want to get moving for my sanity and to be there for my kids and healthy hubby. I did my first half marathon in the fall! I was so excited! Looking forward tomeeting some upbeat groupies and getting healthy!

2012-12-27 9:53 PM

Hey Amy. I live in South Florida too, Coral Springs area.
My user name is jaggrl. My name is Janet.
I'm 57 years young and have done numerous sprint tris and duathlons. I took the year off from tris and got into Crossfit (which I love) but am thinking of getting back into triathlon training again. I've done a bunch of half marathons too. Mostly run/walk since I still haven't mastered continuous running. I'm also getting into obstacle races with my daughter.
FAMILY STATUS: Married 25 years, daughter 24 and son 29.
CURRENT TRAINING: I haven't started training yet but plan to soon.
THIS YEAR'S RACES:
A1A Half Marathon
13.1 Fort Lauderdale Half Marathon
Pretty Muddy Obstacle Race
Superman Scramble (obstacle race)
May sign up for a coupld tris in upcoming year if I feel comfortable doing it
WEIGHTLOSS:
I generally eat clean most of the time but can't give up sweets entirely. I actually never lost weight doing my tris (probably didn't work hard enough!) (but have lost about 8 lbs since I started Crossfit.
2012-12-27 9:57 PM

Raleigh, NC

Hola Amy!!!

Name: I'm Martha Centeno and call Raleigh, North Carolina home.  But my heart is in the "Little Havana" section of Miami! Grew up in Hialeah and moved out of South Florida in the mid 90's for work purposes.

My  Story:  I am a 10-year breast cancer survivor and decided 2 years ago to take my health into my own hands and turning the big 5-0 was a great wake up call.  I was able to lose 40 lbs and set the goal of completing a 1/2 marathon.  Since seting that goal I have finished 5 half marathons.  I have an amazing group of friends that are just as crazy as I am and we use endurance events as a spring board for vacations. Last year's big trip was the Gasparilla half marathon in Tampa and then a week long cruise in the Carribean.  Talk about not feeling guilty about drinking and eating! This year's big trip is the Seattle half marathon in June followed by an Alaskan cruise....nice incentive to train :-)  As much fun as these half marathons are, the leader of our group is shooting for the Florida Iron Man in Panama City and I've caught the "tri bug" and have set the Augusta 70.3 as the culmination of this year's training. I completed the cycling portion of that race last year as part of a relay team.  Seeing that on your calendar made me want to join your group.

Family Status: I am happily married to the most amazing man on the planet...and I can still say that after 32 years.  We were high school sweethearts and are still going strong.  We have three daughters, 2 in college and one married with 2 little boys and another baby on the way.  Being grandparents is a blast!  But I have to stay one step ahead of them ... so thank goodness for being somewhat in shape!

Current Training:  I have a tri coach I work with but his focus is on junior elite athletes so I'm a little out of his norm as my goals are simple...complete my races without injury, not come in last and just shoot for the middle of the pack for my age group: women 50-54.  It gets lonely out there by myself.

Races for 2013:

1. Jan 4-5 Ragnar Relay: Miami to Key West
  2. April 7 White Lake Sprint Tri (750M/14 Mi/5K) North Carolina
  3. May 5 Rocket Man (1/2 Mile/34 Mile/5K) Cape Canaveral, Florida
  4. June 22 - Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon
  5. Sep Augusta 70.3

Can't wait to have a virtual team to commiserate with !

Martha Centeno

Raleigh, North Carolina

2012-12-27 11:54 PM

User image

New user
Baton Rouge, LA

Can I still join your group?

Here is a little about me:

NAME:   Sarah (or Sam) from Baton Rouge, LA

MY STORY:

I am 26, a stay at home wife/mom and part time swim coach and beginning in fall 2013 I will again be a full time college student. I was a competitive swimmer in high school but hated running. I made a friend who did/does triathlons and I became interested in 2010. So far I have done 4 sprint triathlons, all in 2012. 3 of the 4 triathlons were pool swims and also women only races. I didn't really do training for any of them due to personal reasons (house caught on fire, daughter in hospital, injuries, etc.). 2012 was a rough year for me!

In addition to triathlons I have done 5 half marathons, 4 10k's, 2 5k's, 3 mud/adventure races (5k distance), and a 5 mile race. I enjoy 10k, half marathons, and triathlons the most. I really need to work on my run and bike. I don't have a supper expensive bike but I do have a road bike with aero bars. I am slowly building up my triathlon gear and equipment. 

FAMILY STATUS:   Married with one 2 1/2 year old daughter

CURRENT TRAINING
I am currently working on my running by increasing my endurance. I am on week 5 of my C25K training program. After I finish in January I will then begin my C210K program and then move to half marathon training. This is just for my running.

Beginning in January I will also be starting my sprint triathlon training plan. I am also signed up for 70.3 Ironman Augusta and in June I will begin my 70.3 training. 

For my sprint and 70.3 training I will be using Triathlon's Magazine Ultimate Training Guide book. I already have all of my training schedule written down and ready to go for 2013 but I have left some room for cushion in case of injury, illness, emergency, etc.

2013 RACES

I have most of my 2013 races scheduled already but I always have room for a few more I'm using 2013 to properly train and not just finish, but rock it the whole time!

January - Louisiana Half Marathon (1/20)

February - Mardi Gras Mambo 10k (2/16), Rock N Roll Half Marathon New Orleans(2/24)

March - Louisiana Magnolia Sprint Triathlon (3/9), Girl Power Sprint Triathlon (3/24)

April - Tradition's Triathlon (4/6)

May, June, July, August- Small races and maybe an Olympic distance triathlon

September - 70.3 Ironman Augusta (9/29)

October, November, December- Using these 3 months for FUN/relaxing races!

WEIGHTLOSS
I am really overweight HOWEVER I am woking on losing weight!!! I am doing cardio, strength training, AB's/Core work, and watching my calorie intake and keeping my net calories at 1200 to 1500. The more weight i lose the faster I will go

2012-12-27 11:57 PM

I am looking for a group. Mostly food advice. I finished an offroad tri in October. It was a total disaster like your first one but it was fun. Pretty sure I was going to die or have a leg fall off somewhere in it. Marathon, a couple of sprints, another offroad, a tough mudder or something similar, and a HIM by end of 2013 is the plan. I train in the cold predawn as I am married with a 2 1/2 yr girl and a boy on the way. I would be fine to the middle of the pack but I am pretty sure my gut is partially responsible for being towards the end.
2012-12-27 11:59 PM

User image

Tampa

Hi Amy, I'd love to join your group and be mentored by you.

My name is Jen (pronounced Yen)

My Story: I'm 34 years old and i've been putting off doing a triathalon for about 10 years now. I moved up to tampa from south FL back in march. I've always been athletic just really need to work on my endurance and my swimming. My plan is to run a few 5k's and sprints in 2013. My biggest issue is trying to eat and train around a complicated night schedule (7p-7a, 3 nights a week)

Family: Supportive live in GF, dog and a cat

Current Training: I get bored doing the same thing over and over again. I train 4-5 days a week. I do everything from crosstrain/bootcamp, weights, spinning, and recently started swimming again. I'm "trying" my best to follow a sprint tri training program (i'm on week 3), but fitting in 6 days a week can be difficult.

2013 Races: Haven't signed up for anything yet, but the plan is to do my first sprint tri in March and maybe a 5k or 2 leading up to it.

Weight Loss: i'm 5"9 and my weght hovers around 180-185lbs. i hope that making the transition from lifting 3-4 times a week to doing cardio 4-5 times a week will take care of 10-15lbs that i need to lose.

I looking forward to the help and motivation you and this group have to offer, can't wait!!

2012-12-28 4:40 AM

User image

Hi Amy and everyone! I hope I can still join up. I been a runner for a few years now and did my first sprint tri last September. The training did amazing things for my running and body. I'm hoping to get back into it and do another sprint tri this March. I am a mid-pack runner too. I won't be winning anything, but I get great enjoyment out of training and racing.  I'm really hoping to speed up my biking and gain more confidence in open water swims.   

NAME:   Becka. I'm a 37 year-old nurse (aka nightnurse) living in SW Florida.

FAMILY STATUS:   Married with one child.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm just running now, but looking to add back in biking and swimming.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Three 1/2 marathons, severaly 10K's and 5K's, and a sprint tri

2013 RACES:  1/2 marathon in February, sprint tri in March and September, and maybe a full marathon in the winter.

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost about 40 lbs, 2 years ago. It's starting to creep back in and I'm working to keep it off.

2012-12-28 9:00 AM

User image

New user

Tampa

Hello Amy.

I would like to hang my head low and humbly ask for some help in completing my first Tri sprint in April.

Thank you in advance for helping myself and this group to reach their goals.  I think this is an excellent tool for those new to the sport (like myself) who just don't know where to start.

Name: Knightraven - Brian

MY STORY:  Basically I am trying this for my wife.  She is an active coach with Team in Training for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  She loves to run, and one day thought to do a triathlon herself.  Her first one was in 2012 at Tri-Rock in Clearwater, FL.  She was hooked.  I have to admit being at the event myself as a spectator was nice enough, but something told me I would like it better out on the coarse.

I'm currently 42.  I have a little running background with a handful of half marathons under my belt.  They are spread out over the 2008-2012 seasons.  The most recent was 2012 Rock n Roll in St. Petersburg.  I am no speed demon, since I finished in 2:30:00.  However, that is still twenty minutes off of my original times.  I know I can do better.

Even though my wife was the original reason I began running, and the reason I will be doing my first Tri, I know that the health benefit that comes out of this will be worth its weight in gold.  I am not very self motivated here, as I really don't know what I am doing.  Once I get past that hurdle it should all be downhill from there.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married with four children all grown up and out in the world.

CURRENT TRAINING:  So far it has been a melting pot of physical activity to get me up and out of the house again. 

Mondays - Running 3-6 miles (usually more the 3)

Tuesdays - swimming and track work in the evenings.  So far I am only up to about 500M on the swim, and of that only about 50M at a time straight through.  I am really having a hard time breathing.

Wednesdays - Are currently open, so I am looking to fill this time.

Thursdays - I play volleyball with a local group to get some cardio.  - yeah right!  I do it because it is fun. 

Fridays - open

Saturdays - kickball in the early afternoon, so thinking biking in the morning would be nice.

Sundays - Open

2013 RACES:  Currently I only have two races booked, but I am sure that will change over the next couple of months. I am doing the half marathon for Rock n Roll in New Orleans in February, and the HITS Ocala Tri Sprint in April.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

2012-12-28 9:02 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-12-28 9:34 AM

New user

Coeur d Alene

Amy,

I would invite your mentoring as well as the groups input for this 2013 tri season. I completed 2 duathlons (taking 3rd in one) 1 sprint tri and several running distances. This was my first year racing and I enjoyed it a lot.

For 2013 through the dares and financial controbutions of co workers I entered myself in the Coeur d Alene Ironman, at the time I felt I could prepare for this task. But there are days that even though I am training nearly every day it seems a daunting task.

I am 42, married 12 years to a very supportive wife and have 2 kiddos.

Nathan

Edited by nato777 2012-12-28 9:46 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mamma Amy Knows Best - Mentor Group Year One - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24