BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ted's TriMonkeys 2013 - CLOSED / FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2012-12-21 12:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: Ted's TriMonkeys 2013 - CLOSED / FULL

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Immediately, why wait until 2013?

GROUP FOCUS: Olympic and HIM distance, weight loss while still enjoying food

NAME: tcj103 / Ted Jones

STORY: I was once a "Resolutionist", a term sometimes used to describe folks who invade gyms in January, and are gone by February.  Only I stuck around.  In January 2010 at age 45, I was 201 lbs, at 5'9".  Every year I gained some "winter weight" but never lost it in the summer.  Chronic Plantar Fasciitis for about 10 years kept me from running consistently, which was my main source of exercise.  My job as an engineer/cubicle dweller didn't help.

When 2010 rolled around, some family stress made me look in the mirror a little closer, and I didn't like what I saw.  I decided to join a local gym that had an indoor lap pool, figuring nothing is more low impact on the feet than swimming.  Being a former lifeguard and having a pool in my back yard when I was a kid, swimming was natural, but I never swam competitively.  Combining swimming with a calorie tracking app, the weight started melting away, and after a few months, the PF was about gone!  That opened up options to run, and then I found a spinning class to go to.  I had done an Xterra Triathlon about 10 years earlier, on a whim.  So I figured I do one again, as something to train for.  Then realized how many road tris there are, and got into that.  Went from sprint to olympic, then a HIM, then a marathon over the last three years, and have enjoyed it all the way.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, with no children, but four cats.  They are our furry kids.

CURRENT TRAINING: Recovering from 2012 season; getting ready to start training for Eagleman HIM in June 2013.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Three HIMs, (including Vegas Worlds 70.3), Marine Corps Marathon, and a bunch of sprints and 5 ks.

2013 RACES: Eagleman HIM June 2013, with some sprints mixed in.  Considering a full distance, Chesapeake Man

WEIGHTLOSS: From a peak of 205, I'm down almost 50 lbs, was 157 most of the summer.  It crept up since November when I wasn't logging calories, and eating everything in site.  I can't diet.  So I burn more than I eat. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I'm very thorough in my answers, but try to keep it brief.  I'm also on this site more than I probably should be.  While I don't have kids, I think I understand that I have more free time than parents, and that everyone is unique in their schedules and abilities.  As an engineer, I'm a bit of a data geek, using a power meter, GPS data, heart rate, etc, but also understand that sometimes it's just S/B/R more.  I'm not into any of the diets, beyond trying to get more veggies in, and keeping the calories in balance.  I strongly encourage using apps that count calories, both for food and exercise.  I've been through some minor injuries the last couple years, so I'm getting experience with that.  I'm also active with a couple local clubs, one running, one triathlon.

Edited by tcj103 2013-01-02 5:40 PM

2012-12-21 2:58 PM
in reply to: #4544338

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Ted's TriMonkeys 2013 - OPEN
Forgot to add: I will keep my training logs current this year!  Was using Garmin Connect this year since GPS data automatically uploads.
2012-12-28 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Hi Ted, being another geek, I'd love to join your group. Here is my info:

NAME: wolfador / John

STORY: In Feb 2012 I was tipping the scales at over 330lbs, I figured I needed to make a change. Started running, bought a bike for cross training and started into triathlons with a super sprint in August. Since that time I have lost 80lbs. I feel so much better and can't wait to lose another 50+ lbs.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, no children, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, saltwater reef tank. (I like pets)

CURRENT TRAINING: Maintaing biking with indoor trainer, running when I can, swimming sometimes.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Couple 5k's, 10k's, one half marathon and one super sprint tri.

2013 RACES: Rev3 Knoxville half, possibly another half depending on how that goes. Maybe a fall marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS: Started at 330lbs, down to 249, hoping to get under 225 for Knoxville in May.

I think I do a pretty good job of keep my training logs up to date but I don't fill in any of the nutrition parts as I would probably be pretty embarrassed to see what I eat  Sealed

2012-12-28 12:48 PM

Regular
Toronto, ON
Greetings Ted,

May I please join your group?

NAME:  fishwallop / Oscar

STORY: For 15 years, I'd bounced around between 210 and 230 lbs. Although I have a desk job, I've never been a total couch potato. I enjoy biking, and played Ultimate Frisbee recreationally for most of that period, but I was always overweight. A little over a year ago, my wife decided we were "going on a diet", which actually evolved into more of a lifestyle change.  We bought an elliptical machine for low-impact cardio and started logging calories.  A year later, I was down over 40 lbs (and my wife, who started lighter, was down 50!)

Over that period, I did the equivalent of the Couch to 5K running plan on the elliptical, working up to 30 minute "runs".  Toward the end of that, with the winter being mild, I managed to get in some bike rides, and I also started running.  I'd failed the high-school 12 minute run fitness test, and had never actually wanted to run before, but I knew it would be the most efficient way to earn extra calories and, therefore, more delicious food.

In early 2012, I learned that there was a new triathlon coming in July with a course through downtown Toronto.  Since I have always needed a goal event to keep motivated with exercise, I signed up for the sprint.  I was building up my running, and I'd had to swim the distance as a teenager to get my lifeguard qualification, so it satisfied the criteria of being an achievable yet challenging goal.  I did a Try-A-Tri in June as a test run, and I was hooked.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, no kids, two cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: concentrating on running for the next few months, but presently lacking in structure.  I'm signed up for the Around the Bay 30K road race on March 24, 2013 in Hamilton, Ontario.  It will probably be chilly.  Cross-training on the indoor trainer with Sufferfest and TrainerRoad.

2012 RACES: Three Try-A-Tri races (400m/10k/2.5k), Toronto Triathlon Festival sprint, a 5k, half marathon and Toronto Waterfront Marathon, slowly.

2013 RACES: I'm not yet certain, as it will depend on family circumstances, but I'd like to do a couple of early-season sprints and the Olympic at Toronto Triathlon Festival in late July.  I'm leaning toward going back to the Marathon in October since I feel like I have unfinished business with it.

WEIGHTLOSS: At 5'10", from a peak of 232 I came down to 175, but am back up over 180 due to an excess of cupcakes recently.  I use a calorie-counting app, and I like to eat, which means I need to buy those extra calories with exercise. (Edit: I would like to get back down to the low 170s and keep it there).

I've also been using Garmin Connect due to the auto-upload, but will keep my logs current in 2013 here.

Edited by fishwallop 2012-12-28 4:56 PM
2012-12-28 3:03 PM
in reply to: #4544564

Hey Ted,

My name is Tina and I would like to join your mentor group.

I am 42, female, 209lbs, 5'6".

My goal this next year is to not focus on weight loss (I actually lost 37 pounds last year from just changing my eating habits and exercising) but to better my time at my first triathlon last October.  I would like to try and do at least three tri's this year and a half marathon.  I trained for a half marathon last year but injured my achilles and was forced not to run this last December.  It was driving me crazy!!

I am currently studying for a degree in nutrition, so this is all new and great and fun and educational for me!  I can only get better!

2012-12-28 4:20 PM

User image

NAME: ?*****? / Christina

STORY: Um, let's see no great story to tell except lots of free time and a quirky decision to complete a triathlon.

CURRENT TRAINING: All over the board with that one.  Changes made monthly as some of the classes are cancelled due to low attendance.  Set to make new schedule tonight/tomorrow.  Will consist of cycle class 3x's/wk, master swim 4x's/wk, would like to try and run everyday to become a "streaker".  Abs/toning and boot camp for fun.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Have not completed any "races", but the Color Run was great fun! 

2013 RACES: Would like to complete Half Marathon in May, 10 mile run in June, International Triathlon in June and a Danskin Triathlon in August.

WEIGHTLOSS:  Let's see...have not really focus on this area.  I basically eat, but really need to focus more on getting enough protein so that I can maintain the energy needed to have a better outcome while performing.   

I currently use Garmin 310 and Garmin Swim so training logs should hopefully not be a problem.

2012-12-28 4:55 PM
in reply to: #4552295

Regular
Toronto, ON

Christina,

I see you'd like to start a run streak.  I did a 30 day streak this year to build mileage for a half marathon, but not with all that swimming and biking on top of it!  There's a thread in the main forum for a 30 run in 30 day challenge that you can jump into if you like, and the folks there are good and encouraging.

Are you already running?  If so, how much?

2012-12-28 6:31 PM
in reply to: #4552336

User image

Hello Oscar,

Wow...that is my exact reason for starting the running streak...to build mileage for my half marathon.  My running is basically 3-5 miles per run, but I wouldn't do it as much as I would have liked to.  It was some weeks I would do it 3x's a week and then others 5x's a week depending on my mood...lol  I will check that group out and thank you for the tip.  

2012-12-28 7:21 PM

User image

Hi Ted,My name is Jamie. I would like to join your group if possible. I am 36 married to a supportive wife and have a young son (did his 1st youth tri last year...very cool). i have been doing tris since 2009 (sprint,only,him). 2012 was an bad tri year for me, difficult work year (also an engineer). I competed in 1 sprint tri this year and was training for a marathon before having issues with It band. For 2013 my plans are for a (2) sprints, oly, and him. If it band holds up I would like to get a marathon under my belt. My ultimate goal is to complete an IM but would like to get through a marathon first.Weight is up due to lake of training in 2012...190# vs 175# normal since stared triathlon.Motivation to get back into my routine early in 2013 is key...hoping the group could help here as well.Thanks!
2012-12-28 11:27 PM
in reply to: #4551959

User image

New user

Hi, Ted, I would really like to join your group. A year ago I was pushing the 300-pound mark. The shock of that made me re-evaluate my life. I'm now down to about 230 (Christmas has been a wonderful vacation but brutal on the waistline, so I'm not sure of that number at the moment). I biked over 2000 miles in 2012, but that was pretty much all I was doing until November when I began to jog a bit. I've completed 2 5ks now, one at a jogging pace the entire distance, and am determined to complete two sprints and an Oly next summer. Started going to the gym at the beginning of December.

I'm turning 55 in April, and my longterm goal is to complete an IronMan distance the year I turn 60. I have a lot of training to do, and hope to start by shedding 50 more pounds in 2013. I hope you will accept me into your group!

2012-12-29 11:26 AM
in reply to: #4551619

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
wolfador - 2012-12-28 11:32 AM

Hi Ted, being another geek, I'd love to join your group. Here is my info:

NAME: wolfador / John

STORY: In Feb 2012 I was tipping the scales at over 330lbs, I figured I needed to make a change. Started running, bought a bike for cross training and started into triathlons with a super sprint in August. Since that time I have lost 80lbs. I feel so much better and can't wait to lose another 50+ lbs.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, no children, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, saltwater reef tank. (I like pets)

CURRENT TRAINING: Maintaing biking with indoor trainer, running when I can, swimming sometimes.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Couple 5k's, 10k's, one half marathon and one super sprint tri.

2013 RACES: Rev3 Knoxville half, possibly another half depending on how that goes. Maybe a fall marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS: Started at 330lbs, down to 249, hoping to get under 225 for Knoxville in May.

I think I do a pretty good job of keep my training logs up to date but I don't fill in any of the nutrition parts as I would probably be pretty embarrassed to see what I eat  Sealed

John, welcome aboard, and congratulations on 80 lbs!  Good to hear you want to keep going.  I'm currently using My Fitness Pal app to track food and exercise.  For a lot of people, just logging the food, no matter what it is, helps to control it.  I like that the app has a bar-code scanner feature, so anything in a wrapper can be plugged in quickly.

You may find it harder to lose those last few pounds, so maybe logging what you're eating will help.  I am not ashamed to put down what I eat; a lot of junk food is in there.

2012-12-29 11:36 AM

Hi!  I would love to join your group.  I really need support because I am brand new to all this and don't know anyone who does anything like this.  My friends and family think I am crazy and do not encourage me.

One year ago I decided to get healthy.  I joined a gym and started going to a range of classes.  For the first 6 months I gradually built my strenth and endurance and started eating healthier and juicing.  The second 6 months of the year I added running and became a Paleo/Primal eater.  I feel fantastic, except I keep getting injuries.  I've always been intrigued with the idea of a triatholon and my doctor recommended biking and swimming to get away from the impact of running.

I really want to do this but vascilate between confidence and determination and fear and self-doubt.  I have the workout time carved out in my schedule and am ready to go.  Just need more information and tips.

2012-12-29 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4551959

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

Oscar you are more than welcomed, and congrats to you and your wife on getting fitter!  It takes a lifestyle change to make it last.  Going on three years now for me, and I've noticed I almost always have a gym bag and set of "emergency" workout clothes with me at all times now, in case the urge/opportunity hits to get some exercise in. 

I see you're in Toronto, and focusing on running the next few months; what is your weather like there?  I want to focus on the bike more, and LOVE TrainerRoad and Sufferfest.  Just did Local Hero (video only, no TR) on Friday, with a friend at the gym.

Is the Around the Bay a crit or regular race?  I've been thinking about doing a local race here.  It is a different crowd from the Triathletes.

2012-12-29 11:43 AM
in reply to: #4552178

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Heyload97 - 2012-12-28 4:03 PM

Hey Ted,

My name is Tina and I would like to join your mentor group.

I am 42, female, 209lbs, 5'6".

My goal this next year is to not focus on weight loss (I actually lost 37 pounds last year from just changing my eating habits and exercising) but to better my time at my first triathlon last October.  I would like to try and do at least three tri's this year and a half marathon.  I trained for a half marathon last year but injured my achilles and was forced not to run this last December.  It was driving me crazy!!

I am currently studying for a degree in nutrition, so this is all new and great and fun and educational for me!  I can only get better!

Welcome to the group Tina!  I think focusing on a better time for your next race will also help with the weight, so don't worry about that.  I've found that logging my food and exercise really made the difference with losing weight, and you pretty much will only get faster when losing the weight.

I use My Fitness Pal, but have also used Lose It, both are smartphone apps that have websites as well, and are free.

Interesting that you're studying for the nutrition degree, there's a lot of practical experience to be had here!

2012-12-29 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4552295

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
?*****? - 2012-12-28 5:20 PM

NAME: ?*****? / Christina

STORY: Um, let's see no great story to tell except lots of free time and a quirky decision to complete a triathlon.

CURRENT TRAINING: All over the board with that one.  Changes made monthly as some of the classes are cancelled due to low attendance.  Set to make new schedule tonight/tomorrow.  Will consist of cycle class 3x's/wk, master swim 4x's/wk, would like to try and run everyday to become a "streaker".  Abs/toning and boot camp for fun.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Have not completed any "races", but the Color Run was great fun! 

2013 RACES: Would like to complete Half Marathon in May, 10 mile run in June, International Triathlon in June and a Danskin Triathlon in August.

WEIGHTLOSS:  Let's see...have not really focus on this area.  I basically eat, but really need to focus more on getting enough protein so that I can maintain the energy needed to have a better outcome while performing.   

I currently use Garmin 310 and Garmin Swim so training logs should hopefully not be a problem.

Hi Christina:  Welcome to the group! 

Training "all over the board" is fine, especially early on, the main thing is to get the volume in.  It can be a good thing also to "shake things up", they say your body gets used to a certain routine, which is when you may get stuck at either a weight or fitness level.  So changing up the routine can help with that, along with it not getting boring.

Only on this site will you read "Abs/toning and boot camp for fun".  Love it!  I've been doing a kettlebell class a couple times/week for strength and core work.  Definitely noticing a difference there.

I don't think I could handle 30 days of running, due to ankle/achilles issues.  Last summer I had a bout of Achilles tendonitis, as well as peritoneal tendonitis.  Still there a little bit, so I'm only running a few times/week.

I like you Avatar; one of our cats is a Tuxedo; he is the most devious of the four, and always getting in trouble!  We have child safety latches on the kitchen cabinets to keep him from getting to snacks.  It's like we have a raccoon in the house! 

2012-12-29 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4552471

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

jhoyt1 - 2012-12-28 8:21 PM Hi Ted,My name is Jamie. I would like to join your group if possible. I am 36 married to a supportive wife and have a young son (did his 1st youth tri last year...very cool). i have been doing tris since 2009 (sprint,only,him). 2012 was an bad tri year for me, difficult work year (also an engineer). I competed in 1 sprint tri this year and was training for a marathon before having issues with It band. For 2013 my plans are for a (2) sprints, oly, and him. If it band holds up I would like to get a marathon under my belt. My ultimate goal is to complete an IM but would like to get through a marathon first.Weight is up due to lake of training in 2012...190# vs 175# normal since stared triathlon.Motivation to get back into my routine early in 2013 is key...hoping the group could help here as well.Thanks!

Hi Jamie; welcome to the group! 

Sorry to hear you put some weight back on, and had a "bad" 2012.  Have you tried a foam roller for the IT band?  I haven't had that issue myself, but a trainer once showed me how to use a foam roller, and while it's hard to say, I think it's helped prevent injuries, and recover faster.

Have you tried any apps for tracking food and exercise?  That could help with your planned weight loss.  I use My Fitness Pal, and have also used Lose It.  My Fitness Pal has a bigger, cloud-based database, and a bar code scanner feature, but Lose It had a faster interface, (at least a couple years ago it did).

2012-12-29 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4552660

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Gini - 2012-12-29 12:27 AM

Hi, Ted, I would really like to join your group. A year ago I was pushing the 300-pound mark. The shock of that made me re-evaluate my life. I'm now down to about 230 (Christmas has been a wonderful vacation but brutal on the waistline, so I'm not sure of that number at the moment). I biked over 2000 miles in 2012, but that was pretty much all I was doing until November when I began to jog a bit. I've completed 2 5ks now, one at a jogging pace the entire distance, and am determined to complete two sprints and an Oly next summer. Started going to the gym at the beginning of December.

I'm turning 55 in April, and my longterm goal is to complete an IronMan distance the year I turn 60. I have a lot of training to do, and hope to start by shedding 50 more pounds in 2013. I hope you will accept me into your group!

Hi Gini:  Welcome aboard, and congrats on your weight loss so far!  It sounds like you're on the right path, and if you keep it up, IM distance will be achievable well before 60.  

The holidays have been bad for me as well, I pretty much took November off, after the Marine Corps Marathon in late October.  I needed to stop logging everything, and just relax a bit.  I still was going to the gym, but for shorter workouts, and pretty much eating anything in site.

That resulted in 10 lbs gained over about 6 weeks.  I'm back to logging now, and have at least stopped gaining weight.  Also while running this morning, it "felt" easier after a long hill, so I wonder if some cardio fitness has returned as well.

2012-12-29 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4553000

User image

New user

Hi Gini:  Welcome aboard, and congrats on your weight loss so far!  It sounds like you're on the right path, and if you keep it up, IM distance will be achievable well before 60.  

The holidays have been bad for me as well, I pretty much took November off, after the Marine Corps Marathon in late October.  I needed to stop logging everything, and just relax a bit.  I still was going to the gym, but for shorter workouts, and pretty much eating anything in site.

That resulted in 10 lbs gained over about 6 weeks.  I'm back to logging now, and have at least stopped gaining weight.  Also while running this morning, it "felt" easier after a long hill, so I wonder if some cardio fitness has returned as well.

I'm back home now, and planning to restart my tracking and smart eating tomorrow. Having to get up at 3am and flying all day, however, has left me ragged and definitely looking at starting tomorrow! I will have to face the scale in the morning....

Thanks so much for inviting me to your group!

2012-12-29 7:38 PM

Regular
Toronto, ON

I'm getting the sense that Ted likes MyFitnessPal.  So do I: the iPhone app with its big database and barcode scanner helps lower the barrier to logging.  Anyone who wants to help me keep my diet honest can friend me there, where my username is strawczy.

Ted - thanks for having me.  I should have noted that Around the Bay is a 30k run, not a bike race. 

We just got our first snow of the season, which is making things a bit slushy, but I collected some more cold weather clothes over the holidays, so I should be good to brave the cold.  I think I'm going to borrow your idea of an "emergency workout kit" and adapt it seasonally.

Christina - don't forget that if you're going to increase your frequency, you should decrease the distance you go on each run at the start.  For guidance if you're going to start a streak, there's a running plan you might hear about 'round these parts called the BarryP plan (thread here) which does six runs a week.  At its most basic, it's three easy and short, two easy and medium, one easy and long, in a 1:2:3 ratio.  If you're currently running 20 mpw in four runs (for example), in the BarryP plan you would run the same 20 miles as 3 x 2 miles, 2 x 4 miles, and 1 x 6 miles.  Two miles may seem short, but the frequency adds up.

Gini - that's an impressive year!  I found that the running became easier as the weight came off, and the easier running made it easier to to take more weight off. I hope you'll experience the same positive feedback loop!

jaehilgers - what kind of injuries are you getting?

2012-12-30 5:49 AM

I'd like to join!

My Name's Matt

Story - Got married in 2000 at 210lbs. In 2005 I was 285+. Started running, ran four marathons over five years with a PR of 3:42 at 192 pounds, an effort which put me in an ambulance with an IV due to severe dehydration. Took some time off, got back into it too aggressively and got injured. Throw into the mix no small amount of disharmony in the home and I ran very inconsistently, almost none at all. Got back up to 240. Tried some tri training early this year, fell off the wagon (mostly due to scheduling). Have been fairly consistent over the last 8 weeks, am down to 229 and have joined a Masters Swim class. Swimming is twice per week and it's a new program at the gym so not many people signed up. Mostly I'm the only one there which is super nice.

Races - not yet sure if I am going to do an Oly or a HIM. If I do the former it'll be the Island Lake Tri in MI. If I do the HIM it'll be the REV3 Sandusky.

Weight goal - low 190s

Married for 13 years, one kid - 11 year old daughter and two dogs - a white lab looking thing and a Greyhound.

Edited by Area Man 2012-12-30 5:50 AM
2012-12-30 4:25 PM

User image

Hello 2013...I see ya peeking around the corner.  Goodbye 2012 it was great, but looking forward to what surprises 2013 has for me.  

Hello Ted, John, Oscar, Tina, Jamie, Gini, Jaehilgers and Matt!  If I missed anyone my apologies in advance.

So is everyone already back in the saddle already or are you waiting until the New Year has been rung in?  I finally got back to it today after a nice and short two week break.  Made out a five week schedule and hit the treadmill.  Let me tell you...it was truly dreadful but, oh...it so felt good afterwards.

Oscar...I plan on checking that link out,  thank you so much!

Have a great workout and take care everyone! *cheers*

2012-12-30 6:12 PM

I have also found great value in logging food and exercise. I have also used my fitness pal and see others here use that as well. I've never friended anyone on that or partnered up using that app but that might be a good idea. What are your thoughts?
2012-12-30 8:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

Welcome Matt!  Sounds like you've had some big weight swings; 70 lbs in 5 years is a lot!  There seems to be that perfect storm of hitting your 30's, job shifting to desk/cubicle, and family life.  A lot of my friends and coworkers have been through that.

Oscar (I think) had also mentioned friending on MFP; I haven't friended anyone on that site yet, and it looks like you need to do it either through email or Facebook.  I'd be up for that if folks think it would help.  Be warned, my diet isn't the best...

Send me a friend request at ted.jones.507 (at) facebook.com.  If you're not on Facebook, I think you can still shoot me a message through that address, and we can connect that way.

Christina: I'm pretty much back in it, after taking November and December "off", though I was still in the gym most days.  I've been hitting the bike trainer the last couple weeks, doing Sufferfest videos.  They definitely work the legs!  My off time was more about not logging anything, and not worrying about diet.

And I guess it's officially winter; put the trainer tire on my bike today (though I have a road bike and MTB that can still go outside)

My BTC (Bike Torture Chamber) is getting better all the time, recently added speakers and an old stereo amp so I can really crank up the sound when the wife isn't around.  And the TV can show anything the main TV upstairs can, along with plugging in the laptop. to do TrainerRoad/Sufferfest workouts.

2012-12-30 9:29 PM
in reply to: #4554382

Regular
Toronto, ON

My wife and her family are my MFP friends; it's nice to get some encouraging comments when a weigh-in shows payoff or when you manage to string together a couple of days that hit your calorie goals.  Any other MFP users can friend me at oscar [at] strawczynski.com.  For me, having MFP friends is partly about keeping each other honest, but more about being in something together and having a community for positive reinforcement - something that various studies on habit formation have listed as an important factor in making the habits stick.

Ted - Nice BTC!  I put the trainer tire on my bike a few weeks ago, and have recently remembered to use it.  This week, I visited A Very Dark Place and "raced" the ladies in Hell Hath No Fury (admittedly with the intensity turned way down).  I really like these videos and I'm interested to compare notes and learn from experienced Sufferlandrians which video(s) I should be considering adding to the mix.  I'm using TrainerRoad with the videos but, since I have very limited bike training experience, I'm not sure if I have my power levels set right (and I haven't read the bible on training with power), so I'm interested in hearing how other people use these videos - RPE, power meter, or TrainerRoad?

2012-12-30 11:58 PM

User image

New user

Pasadena, CA

Hi Ted,

If there is still room in this group I would like to join.  My name is Carla.  I am 42 years old, married for 15 years and no children.  Currently 5'-9" and 295 lbs.

Story: I have been "large" for as long as I can remember, but never wanted my weight to stop me from going after something I wanted to do.  In 2007, while weighing 280+ lbs I joined a fitness program and marathon training program, was able to lose 45 lbs and completed the LA Marathon in 2008 (walk/run).  In 2009, I injured my right and left Achilles tendons and had surgery to repair a 2 inch tear on each foot. (Long story).  

I am recovered, starting to jog again and I don't want to be a "Resolutionist" this year.  When training for the marathon it made me realize that I enjoy and am motivated by goal-targeted events.  I have wanted to do a triatholon for some time and currently I have time to dedicate towards the training and this group seems ideal to help me with my goals.

2013 Races:  Triathlon / Duathlon / 5k Fun Run in Pasadena, CA on March 23, 2013.  I know it is a huge goal to strive for and maybe I start with the 5K by March and work up to a triathlon later in the year, but hey I got start somewhere.

I am a newbie....newbie....newbie.  I don't know all the triathlon lingo, not sure what the difference is between Olympic and HIM distance, but am willing to learn.   I ride the stationary bikes at the gym.  Have the Rose Bowl course to walk/jog daily (1 loop = 3.3 miles) and have not been in a swimming pool for years...but swimming is like riding a bike...right? Smile (ummm what am i getting myself into).  

I am motivated, really want to make big changes in my life for 2013, am already inspired by those in the group and I hope there is room for me to join.

Thanks

Carla

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ted's TriMonkeys 2013 - CLOSED / FULL Rss Feed  

of 5