BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ted's TriMonkeys 2013 - CLOSED / FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-02-01 7:52 PM
in reply to: #4544338

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Ted's TriMonkeys 2013 - CLOSED / FULL

I was thinking more like this.

http://images.all-free-download.com/images/wallpapers_large/snow_path_wallpaper_winter_nature_wallpaper_1434.jpg

2013-02-03 6:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Finished up the tour. Kicking back watching the game. Back into training plan next week and then vacation to Disney for the week after.
2013-02-03 6:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

Finished the Tour myself yesterday, I think Revolver was the hardest of all the stages.  I haven't done revolver before on Trainer Road, but after having done TINT and 6 days of rides prior, there just wasn't much in the tank.

This was an interesting event to do, at times it was something of a grind.  I think my FTP was pretty accurate, so we'll see how this helped in a few days.

Taking a couple days away from biking, going cross country skiing tomorrow and Tuesday.

2013-02-10 11:10 AM

Regular
Toronto, ON

30 mile running week.  0 biking, 0 swimming.

Anyone else here?

2013-02-10 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4616322

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Wondering the same thing. Was on the bike trainer for the first time yesterday since the Tour wrapped last week. It was not good. I guess XC skiing isn't exactly recovery. I couldn't finish fight club at 100%, where I normally can. Legs are still recovering from skiing and the Tour, but I think another week and we'll be back. The glute issue I've had also wasn't affected by skiing at all, leading me to think it has something to do with where the legs go laterally when running vs biking and skiing. Should be an interesting talk with the Doc and PT.

Edited by tcj103 2013-02-10 4:51 PM
2013-02-15 2:37 AM

User image

Regular
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Silver member
..Still here. Lovely training weather in Kenya. Off schedule a bit do to illness but things are progressing toward my goals.
Quesiton:
I continue to get blistering on the inside of leg/groin area while in the aero position. I have used "But-ter" lubricant and changed saddles, and angled the saddle a little to the left and right and downward...still rubbing. Using shorts with a larger chamo also...little help. Has anyone else experienced this?

shon

2013-02-16 8:04 AM
in reply to: #4623231

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

clinicisopen - 2013-02-15 3:37 AM ..Still here. Lovely training weather in Kenya. Off schedule a bit do to illness but things are progressing toward my goals. Quesiton: I continue to get blistering on the inside of leg/groin area while in the aero position. I have used "But-ter" lubricant and changed saddles, and angled the saddle a little to the left and right and downward...still rubbing. Using shorts with a larger chamo also...little help. Has anyone else experienced this? shon

Ouch.  I haven't had that problem myself, but friends who have use Body Glide.  That may be the same as butt'r.

Something else it could be is a fit/saddle issue.  I got a "pro" fitting done last year, and found out that the saddle that came with my bike had too wide a nose for me.  Went with a narrower nose seat. 

He had me sit on this special bench with a surface that changes color with pressure, so he could measure the width of my "sit bones".  Then checked the width of my saddle, and went with a narrower one.

I hadn't had any problems, but only had maybe a 20 mile ride on that seat.  I've done 75 mile rides since then, with no issues.

2013-02-27 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Is anyone still on here? Anyone have any races coming up soon? I'm thinking of opening the group to spur some activity.

After the Tour of Sufferlandria I went XC skiing for a few days, so my legs were completely done. Then I caught a nice cold that forced me to slow down for a few days. So for the first time since late January, I'm healthy and don't have sore legs.
Re-tested for FTP, and pulled 272 watts, so I'm happy with that. Previous was 259.

2013-02-27 4:46 PM
in reply to: #4639381

Regular
Toronto, ON

Still here.  Winter sucks. 

Ted, that's a nice FTP bump!

Overnight we got smacked with a rain/snow/slush mix that was two or three inches deep. Running on the "snow" was like running on a soft sponge soaked in ice water.  I went out this morning to meet my 6:15 a.m. run group, but there was nobody else there at the appointed hour.  I jogged down the middle of the street to get there, in the less slushy tracks the traffic had left, but in less than half a mile my socks were soaked right through.  Deciding against the rest of the scheduled run, I jogged back home, changed, and hopped on the trainer for my first bike ride in weeks.  The fifth interval of A Very Dark Place, which is a 70 rpm climb at 115% of my last measured FTP, sucked.  Worse than the 90 minute dentist appointment which followed.

Around the Bay 30K run is four weeks away; I had a disappointing 25k long run Sunday in which I didn't fuel properly, but I'm just going to have to put it behind me.  I'll run a 21K this weekend with 15k at 30k race pace and hopefully that will go better.  The training plan calls for "long runs" of 15k and 10k on the remaining weekends, but I'll be skipping the last one for the annual 4-day weekend of downhill skiing.  Judging by last year, I'll be able to run within a day or two of the ski trip, and swim or bike immediately, so I'm not too worried about losing a training opportunity ten days before the race.  Whatever fitness I'll use on the run will be in the bank by then.

In the circumstances, I'm thinking about replacing the 15k "long run" two weeks before the race with another 21k, perhaps a portion of which will be at 30k race pace.  I tend to get in about 30k of other running during the week (mostly easy, although for the past few weeks I've tried to get in one 8-10k with 4k tempo midrun).  I'll probably make the call depending on how I'm feeling day of.

2013-03-08 7:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Been quiet in here. Everyone still moving along? Signed up for a 8.1 miler at the end of March. I feel I am ready for my first HIM in May.
2013-03-17 1:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

Still here, haven't been sticking to the original plan from January, but I think I'm on the mend.

The glute thing is getting better, and we've ruled out a stress fracture, or other joint problem such as arthritis.  It's Gluteus Medius tendonosis.  My running form is good, confirmed I'm a neutral runner/barely a heel striker (but not enough to try and change).

The Glutes could be stronger, so the Doc gave me exercises to do, along with PT.

Did the Trainer Road Antelope workout today, 90 minutes total, 5x10 minutes of "sweet spot" work, with several minutes recovery between runs.

Yesterday was 2300 yds in the pool, was supposed to run also, but family got in the way.  Might get out this afternoon for a few mile run.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ted's TriMonkeys 2013 - CLOSED / FULL Rss Feed  

of 5