BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ontherun and gearing up-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2012-12-22 8:52 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: Ontherun and gearing up-CLOSED

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now

GROUP FOCUS: (triathletes new to the sport as a lifestyle change)

NAME: Ontherun/ Joe

STORY: I am beginning my 9th year on BT and as a triathlete. I started triathlon to lose weight and get active. I have learned a lot about our sport. I have raced in over 25 triathlons from sprint distance to 1/2 Ironman. I also have done a few 1/2 marathons and 1 full. The last few years I have struggled with my training and know what it is like to get started and what it takes to maintain momentum.

I am looking for athletes new to the sport. I know what it takes in commitment, gear and most of all where to find the answers. I promise to get you to the starting line, ready  to tackle your first race. All I need from you is the willingness to log your workouts when you train, ask questions, especially the "stupid ones", as there are no stupid ones, and check in with the group to help motivate everyone!

I look forward to working with you this new year!!

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 16 years with two children (10 and 13

CURRENT TRAINING: I tend to race sprint and international/olympic distance races.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This is a rebuild year for me, so we will be moving forward together

2013 RACES:  I am looking to get back to Cranberry, my favorite race, and set Personal Records in the sprint and olymipc distance races that weekend.

WEIGHTLOSS: I will drop from 240 lbs to 220 lbs by Cranberry in August.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have mentored a few groups before, and still occasionally check in on them years later. I believe that anyone can be a triathlete that wants to. I have been on this site long enough to have the wisdom to be able to give solid advice on many topics. I also know ways to get past many of the obstacles we think or  are in our way. I am willing to help anyone who is willing to be helped and will put in the effort. Join me as we make 2013 our year!

Edited by Ontherun 2013-02-21 6:01 PM

2012-12-28 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4545059

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Ontherun and gearing up-OPEN

Hi Joe,

It looks like you might be the right mentor for me.

I've completed a few tri's, but have taken the last 2 summers off for several reasons. I'm looking to get back into the swing of things this year.

I'll post a full bio later, when I'm not at work.

-Heidi

2012-12-28 11:17 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Welcome to the group. I look forward to seeing your bio
2012-12-28 11:54 AM

Hi Joe,Looks like you are the guy for me as well. I am new to triathlons, in fact, I don't have much experience with biking. I have done some swimming for fitness, and I am a runner. I have done may half and full marathons over the years, but really want to try a triathlon for a new challenge!I just joined a gym with a pool so I have a place to workout, now I just need to do it. As for fitness level, I had surgery on my toe 8 weeks ago and just got cleared to start training again, so now is the time to start! I am looking at the Michael Pate's total sprint workout plan as a starting place, as I hope to do a sprint tri in the summer and that will get me there!Looking forward to being a part of this group!
2012-12-28 12:40 PM

, Florida

Hi Joe!

I am looking to get off the couch and do my first tri this summer!  I am joining the local Y so I can have access to a pool!  I thought I was a bad runner until I got in a pool this summer. lol There is a lot of work for me to do but this is the year!

Looking forward to learning

Beverly

2012-12-28 3:02 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Well it looks like we have the start of a good group here. I am looking forward to working with all of you. I see a few workouts listed, and would love to see more. Mind you, I need to do my part on those too. If you have not already done it, after you post, there is a box that allows you to subscribe to this thread. It is a great way to stay up to date with the group and find out what is going on. I see some of you are very new to the site. Let me know if you need help with logging workouts. This is a great way for me to see what you are doing and help trouble shoot issues that will arrive.

I hope you all have a great day!

2012-12-28 3:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

This sounds like the group for me!

NAME: tricupcake - Kim

STORY: I did my first race, a sprint, in 2008.  At the time, I was going through a divorce from my husband and had picked up some destructive habits the previous year and decided in January that I was going to do my first race in June.  I trained by myself and became a triathlete on 6/22/2008.  I wasn't fast, but my goal was to just finish and I did.  It was seriously the proudest time of my life, especially since my soon to be ex was doing everything he could to discourage me in my pursuit.  After my race, I then went back to my couch potato ways for a couple of years.  In the midst of this was a torn meniscus and an extended fight with plantar faciitis.  I managed to eek out another sprint race in 2011, but due to the extreme pain from my plantar faciitis, I was very lucky to even finish.  Since then, I haven't done much except have bunion surgery in April.  Needless to say, I'm hoping for a pain free 2013!

I have used my surgery as an excuse for not getting my butt into the gym and because of that, I went ahead and registered for a sprint in June.  It's the same race I've run both times before and I want to be proud of my finish this time. To do this, I know that I must be more consistent in my nutrition and training and I'm going to need some motivation along the way.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 2 and a half years with 2 dogs and a cat

CURRENT TRAINING: No training for longer than I care to admit, but I will be starting in January for my sprint in June.

2013 RACES:  For now just the sprint in June, but I would really like to be able to run an entire 5k somtime this year

WEIGHTLOSS: I started this year at 250+, but thanks to adopting a low-carb lifestyle, I'm down to around 225.  I would like to lose about 8 pounds a month next year.

2012-12-28 3:57 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Kim, welcome to the group, you will fit in.

I figure it is time to give you all a little more info on me. My training for the last 2 years has been less than stellar. Between minor injuries, family issues and heart surgery last May, I have had my share of excuses. For what it is worth, I think I have heard most if not all the excesses as to why one should not work out or train. For that matter, I have used and mastered many of them. 

We are all in the same place of needing the support of our group. With some encouragement and dedication, we will all have a great start on this years tri season. For those of you returning to the sport, welcome back. And for those new to the sport and or Beginner Triathlete, welcome to the community.

I am ready to start fielding questions when ever you have them.

2012-12-28 4:01 PM

New user

Hi Joe,

I would like to join your beginner's group. I had tried to do my first triathlon three times, but injuries have curtailed my plans(Broken ankle, herniated disks, and plantar Facitis).

I'm 44 and hopefully can remain injury free. I'm a slow heavy footed runner, a horrendous swimmer and I decent cyclist. I'm not looking to win anything just challenge myself and compete a tri or two.

Hopefully 2013 will be the year it happens.

Thanks,

Andrew

2012-12-28 4:05 PM

New user
Columbus, OH

Hi Joe!

I'd like to join your group!

NAME: cbus_runner/Annie

STORY: I'm new to tri! I've been a casual runner for some years and last year decided to get my stuff together and train for a race. I finished a half-marathon in the fall, but started having IT band issues soon afterwards so took some time off running. In the meantime I got back into swimming, which I hadn't done since I was a kid, and really enjoyed it.

Unfortunately I have almost zero background with biking (other than knowing how to ride a bike). For the past few weeks, I've done a spin class at the gym which has been challenging and fun, but I am most nervous about that section of the race.

I like the variety in doing different types of training and the challenge of putting them together!

FAMILY STATUS: Single, with two adorable cats

CURRENT TRAINING: I swim 2x a week, spin class 1x a week, and starting back with running next week.

2013 RACES:  Sprint tri, June 2013

WEIGHTLOSS: Ok with weight, would like to gain strength

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I have a positive and supportive attitude! And lots of questions

2012-12-28 4:18 PM

New user

Hi Joe,

Hope this is the group for me. 

NAME: alockhart6 - Angela

Story:  I have been running on and off for my entire life and have completed several half marathons.  Last year in April I injured my leg and had to sit out for several months.  Several months and several pounds later, I was given the okay to run again but decided to change some things up.  I have been working on my swimming and brought myself a road bike for Christmas.

Family Status:  Im married with three children, ages: 10, 4 and 3.

Current Training: Half marathon plan with some swimming and a couple of spin classes thrown in for cross training. 

2013:  Half marathon in April and two sprint tris in August and September.

Weightloss:  Would love to get rid of these extras 15 lbs but I know its more nutriential than physical

2012-12-28 7:03 PM

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Ontherun and gearing up-CLOSED

Okay.  I'm home and have the time to post a bio now.

Name: Heidi.

Story: In the interest of full disclosure, I used to post by the name of "slow turtle". My training log is still up, if you want to get a sense of what level I was at. I decided to start with a new account and name, since I feel that "slow Turtle" is a self fulfilling prophecy.

I started doing sprint Tri's in 2008 or 2009. I've always been slow, but I enjoy the focus required  to train for a race. I find that I'm much more consistent with training, if I have a goal.I did not race in 2011, because I got a new puppy at the beginning of that summer, and he took up most of my free time. Then I had a wrist injury in the fall of 2011, which resulted in months of splinting/casting/surgery. I didn't race in 2012, because my wrist was not strong enough to support full weight on serious bike rides, or to complete long swims.I have continued to run, do much cross training, and do some bike rides that didn't have extreme hills.

Family: Married for 11 years. 3 kids (aged 22, 10 and 6). 2 big dogs and 1 cat.

Current training: I recently found the website "fitness Glo" and I love it! It makes working out so easy! I'm very hesitant to run outside in the winter. If I break anymore bones in my feet/ ankles, I think I'll have to give up running, and I don't want to take that chance. I also have my bike on a trainer. So, that is helpful. I have a strong dislike for the pool at my local Y, and just can't bring myself to swim in it anymore.

Weight: My fantasy weight is 10 lower than I am now, but I don't think that's realistic.

Goals: to find a sprint tri for 2013. In March, I'm looking to do a St. Patricks day 4 miler.

Thanks for Mentoring us, Joe.

-Heidi

2012-12-28 8:07 PM
in reply to: #4551936

, Florida

BIO Smile

NAME: Goodgirl3468--- Beverly

STORY: I have been wanting to do a tri for about three years.... just a ton of excuses   So come January I will have access to a pool, bike and treadmill when it is crummy outside.  I am very comfortable cycling; running is a neccessary evil; swimming is a challenge. 

FAMILY STATUS: Single, five mastiffs and two cats 

CURRENT TRAINING: reading, running and spin classes.  Cardio kickboxong and starting Crossfit for fun!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: none

2013 RACES:  I am shooting for a sprint in May and one in June so far.

WEIGHTLOSS: I dropped 30# over the last two years and need to drop at least 10 more. I started following a Paleo diet- not super strict though.

Again Joe, thank you for your time.  I hope this will provide the encouragement and guidance that will get me across the finish line.

2012-12-28 8:11 PM
in reply to: #4552513

User image

New user

goodgirl3468 - 2012-12-28 8:07 PM

BIO Smile

NAME: Goodgirl3468--- Beverly

STORY: I have been wanting to do a tri for about three years.... just a ton of excuses   So come January I will have access to a pool, bike and treadmill when it is crummy outside.  I am very comfortable cycling; running is a neccessary evil; swimming is a challenge. 

FAMILY STATUS: Single, five mastiffs and two cats 

CURRENT TRAINING: reading, running and spin classes.  Cardio kickboxong and starting Crossfit for fun!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: none

2013 RACES:  I am shooting for a sprint in May and one in June so far.

WEIGHTLOSS: I dropped 30# over the last two years and need to drop at least 10 more. I started following a Paleo diet- not super strict though.

Again Joe, thank you for your time.  I hope this will provide the encouragement and guidance that will get me across the finish line.

Are Mastiff's the really huge dogs? Or, am I thinking of a different breed? I'd love to have 5 dogs, but I'd be in divorce court

2012-12-28 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Where is everyone from?  I am originally from Texas but moved to Chicago in January of 2001.  I still can't believe I've survived that many winters here!
2012-12-28 8:25 PM
in reply to: #4552518

, Florida

I am just outside of Champaign, IL.  Yes, mastiffs are the huge dogs.  I'll post a couple of pictures of them.

Looking for any tips on  swimming.  I can get a couple of laps done and then I have to rest.  I have seen some of the swim workouts but I can't even get through warm-up in a reasonable time.

2012-12-28 8:51 PM
in reply to: #4552532

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
goodgirl3468 - 2012-12-28 8:25 PM

I am just outside of Champaign, IL.  Yes, mastiffs are the huge dogs.  I'll post a couple of pictures of them.

Looking for any tips on  swimming.  I can get a couple of laps done and then I have to rest.  I have seen some of the swim workouts but I can't even get through warm-up in a reasonable time.

I have the same exact problem.  I have struggled massively in both of my races.  During the first one, I was very close to calling on one of the lifeguards.  The second race was a little better, but I still had a very tough time.  I have experimented with my breathing vs. stroke ratio (breathing every 2, 3, 4 strokes) but nothing seems to work.  I know my form isn't the best, but I would think that I would have gotten the hang of it by now.  I'm considering swimming lessons in February or March.

2012-12-28 9:49 PM

Here is my complete bio:

NAME: lauriep717/ Laurie

STORY: I have always been an athlete, I ran track in HS and college then continued with 5ks for several years after that. 6 years ago, I decided I wanted to run the WDW marathon and so began that journey. Since then, I have run 4 marathons and 9 half marathons. My ultimate fitness goal is to someday complete an Ironman! Which brings me here to try out triathlons. I got bored with just half and full marathons and need a new challenge. I recently had surgery on a broken big toe and just got cleared to start exercising again so I will be starting off slow, with the goal of doing a sprint tri this summer.

FAMILY STATUS: married with one little boy who is 20 months old

CURRENT TRAINING: just starting out after 10 weeks of doing nothing! Starting the Michael Pate's total sprint tri program next week.

THIS YEARS RACES: ran two halls and a full marathon in the Spring

2013 RACES: TBD, hopefully a few local half marathons and a sprint tri in the summer

WEIGHTLOSS: definitely need to lose about 15-20 lbs! This is a definite weak point for me.

And I am from Northern NJ! Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Edited by Lauriep717 2012-12-28 9:58 PM
2012-12-28 9:53 PM

Anybody know why I can't get spaces in my post?--must be an ipad thing, anyone know how to fix that on the ipad?

Edited by Lauriep717 2012-12-28 9:58 PM
2012-12-29 6:15 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Lauri, I am seeing spaces, so it just might be how you view it on the ipad.

disclaimer, I apologize for typos this am as I have this keyboard set up on my trainer. For those with swimming issues, I have the same problem with needing to stop when I get back into swimming. What works for me is to not try and kick.Swim coaches are not fond of this, but most of them are about speed in the pool. Also, I do not work on flip turns. I am an OWS (open water swim) kin of guy and HATE LAP SWIMMING!

With that said, when you are trying to build swim fitness, and it will come, try not kicking. A good way to do this is try and borrow a set of swim buoys.They are foam blocks that go between the knees. What they do is attempt to make you more like a canoe in the water, not a brick. This brings up a big part of swimming.

Warning small math lesson... to go twice as fast,you have to cube the effort! This is a very big deal. So a second part of not getting winded while swimming is to slow down. not kicking and slowing down will lower the HR, but you will feel like you are sinling, thus the swim buoys or a wet suit.

2012-12-29 6:22 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Also on the topic of swimming, calling for help in a race. First yes you can, but how can you keep from doing that in the first place. If you are scared of the tri swim, find a sprint with a pool swim. I live just north of Boston, and the early tris in May are pool swims. No washing machine effect of the mass start.

When racing in OW and a mass start, stay to the back and side at the start. the faster swimmers will lead up from the middle,  thus less arms and legs making contact and not getting swum over. Also in the back, you can sometimes get a nice draft off the pack without being right on someones feet. drafting in swimming is allowed, but you will be penalized for it on the bike.

2012-12-29 6:31 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Kim, I see you are up in Chicago. I know the Chicago tri club swims at Ohio beach by Navy pier in the summer. I tried to hook up with them a few years ago, but could not. I did swim along the pier from the beach to the jettie and it was one of my favorite swims of all time!

I recommend checking them out. Also, and this goes for everyone, I recommend looking for local tri groups. it is great to train with others.

2012-12-29 8:06 AM

User image

New user

Good morning!

We're looking at another 2 to 4 inches of snow today, so I've rearranged my plans. I try to workout in the morning, but I'll run errands before the snow, and workout later.

Swimming: I'm not great at it either. The pool at my local Y is so gross, that I can't bring myself to go in it any more. I've decided that I'll start swim training in late May, in the local lakes with a wet suit. A few years ago, I started to take an adult swim class. It was incredibly helpful, but 3 weeks into it, I injured my wrist, and didn't get to complete the class.

2012-12-29 9:58 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
For the most part I do not go swimming from Oct. to April. It dose mean getting the fitness back is slow, but I do not have to do laps. Something to think of the swim is the shortest leg of a tri. You need to be able to survive it, but there is no need to be first out of the water.
2012-12-29 11:03 AM

We are expecting some snow here today too, shouldn't be too much though.  Luckily, I got over to the gym this morning to get in a bike workout.   Tried swimming yesterday and the kicking motion actually was hurting my toe that I had surgery on, so I may hold off on swimming for a few more weeks.  The program I am starting requires minimal swimming in the beginning so I hope to be able to work up to longer swim workouts.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ontherun and gearing up-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10