Pro
Subject: RE: Changing/Repealing the 2nd Amendment
JoshR - 2012-12-23 6:41 PM
Left Brain - 2012-12-23 4:03 PM
JoshR - 2012-12-23 4:53 PM
mdg2003 - 2012-12-23 9:55 AM
JoshR - 2012-12-23 10:30 AM
hrliles - 2012-12-23 9:10 AM

Yeah, lets make guns illegal but legalize drugs.  Well. we are half way there.  (sarcasm intended)

Seriously, if you amend the 2nd, then you should go ahead and do the same with the 1st and 4th, not that thay aren't infringed on already but you can see where this is headed.  I'll fight standing up vs having my hands tied and bound!

I do believe "well armed milita" means "comparable" to current standards, regardless of the technology at the time, the intent I beleive is that "we" keep up with "them".

There is no way "we" could keep up with "them" at all. It would take even a good heavily gun concentrated southern area a few days to get conquered should our government be so inclined. What good does a gun do when a drone comes in and blows up your house?

Southern area of what? Idaho?

Sorry, I was implying the south has more guns than the north, that's all. My point was even in an area with a heavily armed population, wouldn't stand a chance if "they" really  wanted to.

And that's wrong.  You are assuming that those in our military would automatically adhere to "killing their own" if the govt. ordered it.  I've got news for you.....there are plenty of pilots, drone operators, tank operators, etc. who would NOT side with a govt. intent on pushing it's will on free people.  Do you know what it would take to gain a jet for the "other side"....or a tank, or a drone, or munitions of any type, with plenty of people to use them?  That's right......a gun.

I always go back to pictures of thousands of Jews being herded into rail cars by a few dozen men with guns.  No way, never again.  I'm not Jewish, but it's not happening to me or my family without a fight, and it obviously won't happen to the Jews, again, without a fight.

Here, I'll get us back on track with the OP.....repeal the 2A?  Good luck! Laughing

I disagree. I think some people might disobey orders, but I think that enough people wouldn't that anyone who tried to steal military equipment would be subdued. Not to mention that once you get a vehicle you run into the most basic of military issues, supplies.

Just curious, Josh, have you served in our military?  And, since at least Fuzzydog served in another country's military, have you served in ANY military?

2012-12-23 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4546350

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
powerman - 2012-12-23 7:42 PMthis isn't some "lone wolf" stealing  a hummer with a M60.

You're dating yourself. We have M240G now, m60s are at gun shows...
2012-12-23 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4546350

User image

Pro
powerman - 2012-12-23 7:42 PM
JoshR - 2012-12-23 5:41 PM
Left Brain - 2012-12-23 4:03 PM
JoshR - 2012-12-23 4:53 PM
mdg2003 - 2012-12-23 9:55 AM
JoshR - 2012-12-23 10:30 AM
hrliles - 2012-12-23 9:10 AM

Yeah, lets make guns illegal but legalize drugs.  Well. we are half way there.  (sarcasm intended)

Seriously, if you amend the 2nd, then you should go ahead and do the same with the 1st and 4th, not that thay aren't infringed on already but you can see where this is headed.  I'll fight standing up vs having my hands tied and bound!

I do believe "well armed milita" means "comparable" to current standards, regardless of the technology at the time, the intent I beleive is that "we" keep up with "them".

There is no way "we" could keep up with "them" at all. It would take even a good heavily gun concentrated southern area a few days to get conquered should our government be so inclined. What good does a gun do when a drone comes in and blows up your house?

Southern area of what? Idaho?

Sorry, I was implying the south has more guns than the north, that's all. My point was even in an area with a heavily armed population, wouldn't stand a chance if "they" really  wanted to.

And that's wrong.  You are assuming that those in our military would automatically adhere to "killing their own" if the govt. ordered it.  I've got news for you.....there are plenty of pilots, drone operators, tank operators, etc. who would NOT side with a govt. intent on pushing it's will on free people.  Do you know what it would take to gain a jet for the "other side"....or a tank, or a drone, or munitions of any type, with plenty of people to use them?  That's right......a gun.

I always go back to pictures of thousands of Jews being herded into rail cars by a few dozen men with guns.  No way, never again.  I'm not Jewish, but it's not happening to me or my family without a fight, and it obviously won't happen to the Jews, again, without a fight.

Here, I'll get us back on track with the OP.....repeal the 2A?  Good luck! Laughing

I disagree. I think some people might disobey orders, but I think that enough people wouldn't that anyone who tried to steal military equipment would be subdued. Not to mention that once you get a vehicle you run into the most basic of military issues, supplies.

Come on now... seriously. For what ever reason, things are not going well. There is a clear disagreement with the Federal Government. The Federal government is talking of controlling the population with the U.S. military (not national guard)... even take the 2A thing... point is... this isn't some "lone wolf" stealing  a hummer with a M60. If we were to ever get to that point... I think you seriously underestimate the make up of the armed forces. I'm not saying that they want to overthrow the government... but the majority are of the "from my cold dead hands" mentality. That's all I'm saying. Not trying to "talk tough"... because even going there... well, it's unimaginable. I don't believe we would get there without figuring it out first.

But here is the real funny part... I realize I must seem like a real 2A nut here... I'm not. It's just the back drop of this site and the fact it is an interesting subject to me. I went back to my old gun forum that I have not been a part of in a while. Total "RED" site... I asked the question of what would they be willing to compromise on with gun control and recent events.... I was pretty much laughed off the site, my manhood and citizenship were questioned... and that indeed, "people like you are the problem". This is a VERY deep subject with a lot of passion behind it. It should not be taken lightly of what "hypothetically repealing the 2A" would be like. There are many in this country that already feel there is too much gun control.

As crazy as it seems to most......what he posted is true.  

I'm not a "cold dead hands" kind of guy....as I know Powerman isn't either....but don't underestimate those who are.....you won't get their guns without a fight, even if it comes to war.

Believe it.

2012-12-23 8:41 PM
in reply to: #4546387

User image

Elite

GomesBolt - 2012-12-23 7:14 PM
powerman - 2012-12-23 7:42 PMthis isn't some "lone wolf" stealing  a hummer with a M60.
You're dating yourself. We have M240G now, m60s are at gun shows...

Age and the fact that I was in the Navy..

I liked sleeping in a bed with clean laundry and 3 hots.

Edited by powerman 2012-12-23 8:41 PM
2012-12-24 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4545847

User image

Tripolar - 2012-12-23 9:58 AM I've heard it countless times now, in many different places, that it would be impossible to make guns illegal, either by repealing or changing the 2nd Amendment. That this right is so old and traditional and ingrained in the US that it would be unthinkable. Well, as a country we've made changes to the Constitution before, once there was enough popular support. As future generations grow up, popular opinion tends to shift. We're seeing this happen in our lifetimes with gay rights. Who's to say what the attitudes will be about guns 100 years from now? So, here's a completely informal poll. Do you think the 2nd Amendment is no longer appropriate for modern-day America, and should be changed or repealed to make private gun ownership illegal?

I can't think of a right so basic to a free and civilized society as the right to self-defense. I think the 2nd amendment is up there as the most important amendment today as it was 200 years ago or a thousand years ago. 

For a government to acknowledge that every individual not only has a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness but a right to defend that right is a unique and amazing statement. The right to self defense is the is the foundation of equality. 

No society whose government chooses who can defend themselves and who can't is free. You don't have to look to far in history to see countless examples of the tyranny and misery that occurs when governments this basic right. 

Now I am not claiming that we are going to turn into Nazi Germany if the 2nd amendment is removed. But could you really have, in absolute terms, the other 9 amendments in the bill rights without the rights granted in the 2nd?

Edited by Jackemy1 2012-12-24 9:31 AM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Changing/Repealing the 2nd Amendment Rss Feed  

of 3