General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero wheels for lighter riders or light weight wheels Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-23 9:23 PM

Subject: Aero wheels for lighter riders or light weight wheels
Hi all,
I'm lighter than most riders 54kg and I ride a giant trinity composite with a Shimano r 500 wheel set that came with the bike. I'm finally able to upgrade and have read a lot of reports on the benefits of aero wheels, especially for courses without really steep climbs. What I'm wondering is would this still be an advantage for a lighter rider or would a lighter set of wheels put me at an advantage? My budget will only reach the Sram s60/80, Mavic cosmic carbone SL, shimano RS50 or Campagnolo bullet 50, so lighter aero wheels are out. Since I need them for training rides as well as racing so I don't want a set of cheap full carbon wheels.

2012-12-24 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4546465

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Aero wheels for lighter riders or light weight wheels
Absolutely YES! There's a real benefit to all riders and almost all courses. The only time an aero wheel may not be to your advantage would be a ride/race with LOTS of vertical and very technical, but then you wouldn't ride a tri bike either...

My wife is significantly lighter than you and rides HED Jet6/9 on her tri bike and Zipp 808's on her road bike (for racing... normal box rims for training).

Out of that list, I would pick the SRAM S60/80, closely followed by the Bullet 50. Are you looking new? If so, would you be open to used? I bet you could find a pair of HED Jet 6/9 and a Zipp 606... those would be my choice for a lighter rider...

Edited by audiojan 2012-12-24 7:49 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero wheels for lighter riders or light weight wheels Rss Feed