General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Philadelphia Triathlon, LLC
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 52m 48s
Overall Rank = 822/1339
Age Group = 25-29 F
Age Group Rank = 32/76
Pre-race routine:

I went to bed at 8 p.m. the night before (I like to get my full 8 hours). I didn't fall asleep right away, but I certainly did not feel tired when my alarm went off at 4 a.m. Apparently, my cat wasn't feeling too tired either as she seemed to think the only reason I was up that early was to feed and hang out with her. She WOULD NOT leave me alone!

I showered, ate some oatmeal, put my bike on the car, threw my bags in the car, and I was off. I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich during the drive over to the race.

I got to the race site at about 5:10. I think I had about a mile walk to the transition area from where I had parked. Maybe more. It was a good 10- to 15-minute walk. I wanted to make sure I was at the transition area by 5:30 since I was in one of the first four waves and would have to catch the bus to the swim start by no later than 6:30 a.m.

I got body marked, found my rack, sorta got my transition area ready, but then had to go to the bathroom pretty badly so I left to go do that. I passed by Steve (thegomer) on the way. I said HI, but really had to go so I didn't stop and chat.

I got out of the port-o-pot and headed back to the transition area when I heard the worst thing I could ever hear: "We are sorry, but because of last night's storm and consequential debris in the river, there will be no swim. I repeat the swim has been cancelled and will be replaced with a 5K run." Darn it. Darn it. Darn it. The race was now a 5K run/40 K bike/10 K run. And I WAS NOT a happy camper...
Event warmup:

For those of you who have been following my training log, you'll know that I have been dealing with a crazy leg injury: one that kept me on the couch for most of race week and one that would surely prevent me from running well - or at all - especially without a bike ride beforehand. Hearing the swim was cancelled was devastating to me as I didn't know if I'd be able to run or even compete.

I decided to go and try to run a little bit, but couldn't even make it 50 yards. I would try, but the leg just wouldn't let it happen. I went out and one point, could barely run, gave up, threw my hands in the air and started crying. A race volunteer asked if I was okay, I just said, "No," and limped away. Fortunately, I came across some wonderful BTers (dare2trimom, mattwilley, nj newbie!, thegomer, and kleinrider) who lended me a shoulder to cry on and helped me come to my decision to race.

I had really really really really wanted to do the bike course and I was so upset at the possibility of not being able to. I decided that I would attempt the first 5K and walk it if I had to, and then do the bike, and then play the last 10K by ear (DNF, walk, etc.). It would be a shot to the ego, but I was doing it and not missing my opportunity to ride that course.

I had consulted my parents about it too. My father, in his I-have-a-solution-to-every-problem tone of voice goes, "Well, just go stand at the run start, they'll blow the whistle, and you can just walk over to the transition area, hop on your bike, ride the course, and then call it a day." Dad, I appreciate the advice, but that just won't work :).

Once I decided I would do it, the race became all about the bike. I would just go out there, have a great time, even if I was walking on the run, and kick some butt on the bike and make the most of this course I was so eager to ride.
Swim
  • 28m 22s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Please note that this was now a 5K run and not a 1.5K swim.
--------------------------------------------

Knowing I was going to run this very slowly, I decided I would start at the back of the pack. However, I ran into Isabel (nj newbie!), who was also in my wave and stood with her before we started. We were in the middle of the pack. I was all smiles and extremely relaxed at this point, since I was at peace with just going out there and having fun and not trying to reach goal times, etc.

The gun went off and I tried to go, but this run start was very slow for me. I just couldn't get the leg to work. EVERYONE passed me in those first few hundred meters. I felt like that little kid on the playground that's a few years younger than all the other kids and tries so hard to keep up with them, but just can't. I also spotted that race volunteer who had asked if I was okay earlier when I was attempting to run. He gave me that look, you know the look that says, "You should not be doing what you're doing." Sorry, but it's too late now.

After about a half mile or so, I was over all the initial bad leg stuff and knew I could continue on. After the turn around (the run was an out and back), I noticed I was running at a conversational pace. I decided I'd try to pick it up, but my leg would have nothing to do with that. So, I kept trudging along at my 9:09 minute/mile pace. At one point, the road was pitched, and it sloped right and my right leg is the one that is bothering me, and so that was really tough. But, I survived. Boy, was I slow going...but it's all good, and I DID IT! I hadn't quit or given up from the start!! And, going slow wasn't all that bad as it made it easier to enjoy the scenery [read: hot tri guys]. :)

I was soooo happy when I finished that run because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to. I had also started to get a stitch on my right side, so I was glad to be able to stop running to take care of that too. Dare2trimom and mattwilley were cheering me on as I finished the run. It was great to have their support. Matt got a great picture of my clapping my hands at the end of that run - I'll try to post it in my photo album. It really shows how excited I was to have finished it.
What would you do differently?:

Swim!
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

I took my good old time in T1. Remember, this race was only about the bike for me, so I figured I'd take my time, collect my thoughts, and relax. I had remembered during the run that I had forgotten to reset my cyclocomputer. Because this race was now all about the bike, I made sure I took care of that before leaving.

There was music at the transition/start/finish area, and while I was in T1, Elvis' "Little Less Conversation" was playing. That was really cool because I love Elvis and I really love that song. However, there was some irony in it as well. For those of you who read the RR from my last race, you may recall that under "What would you do differently in T1?" I said that I would talk less to the other competitors. I just thought that was so funny. The Elvis got me pumped up and I was sooooo excited for the pending bike that I ran out of there and was ready to go! :) :

Nada
Bike
  • 1h 18m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Here it was. The bike. The only part of this race that meant anything to me; the only part of this race that I knew I could actually do. And boy was I ready for it. I could not wait to get started, but before heading out on the course I had to deal with getting stuck behind some guy whose shoes were clipped into the pedals, but he couldn't get his feet into the shoes. The very beginning of the bike course was a fairly narrow chute, and he was swerving back and forth at like 4 mph...it was soooo frustrating!! But, finally, he got his feet in and we were off.

I absolutely loved this bike course. There were some good climbs and I was ready for them. I cannot even begin to describe how much I loved this bike course, and for anyone who is reading this, you should really do this race next year if not for the bike course alone.

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to run again when I got off, so I decided I'd go all out and make all the hills my friends...and I had the best time doing so. On each hill, I stayed to the left and just passed everyone on my way up. There were three major climbs on the course, which we did twice, and I think I only got passed by like five people total out of all six hills. I was passing people left and right and having a blast doing it. I actually moved up a little over 500 places during the bike course. It was sooo much fun!!!!!!! :) I LOVE HILLS! (I don't want to confuse you, I was passed by plenty of people on the flats and downhills.)

The best part about the whole course, however, was the end of lap one and the beginning of lap two. At the end of the course, you come down a hill, out from under a bridge, and take a curve to the left. You are to stay to the left if you are continuing onto your second lap, and to the right if you're continuing on to T2. But, when you come down that hill and out from under that bridge, there's just hundreds (maybe thousands?) of spectators lining the street. They're all cheering, ringing cowbells, etc. It was the most exhilarating race moment I had ever had. I felt like I was in the Tour de France or something. It gave me chills and I almost got tears in my eyes. It was the coolest thing ever!!!

The course was a lot of fun, but because it was short and there was a lot of racers, it got a little congested at times and therefore made it difficult to completely adhere to the USAT biking rules. But I did my best and didn't receive any penalties, so that was good. There was a lot of people riding on the left and I told a few of them to move right...especially if they looked like the didn't know what they were doign (first tri, etc.). Then, there was this one guy that passed me, but as soon as his back wheel cleared by front wheel, he slowed down to my speed...my exact same speed. It was so frustrating. I dropped out of his draft zone, but then he was still going that same speed and I wanted to pass him, so I did. Then, he passed me, and again got to my same speed as soon as he cleared my front wheel. He was really annoying me, so I dropped out of the draft zone again and figured I'd hold back and let him go. I knew I'd catch him on the next hill. And, sure enough, I did. As I passed him going up the hill, I just flashed him a big Lauren smile and said, "Haha...finally got ya!!," and then took off. Shortly thereafter, he rolls up next to me and goes, "So, where are you from?" Had he been a hot tri guy, I would've considered playing that game, but he wasn't my type, so I ended that pretty quickly ;-).

I also saw some stuff on the bike course I had never seen before: a kitten, a gaggle of geese (they were just clearing the road when I got there, I don't know what the cyclists that were a minute or so ahead of me did), people walking their bikes up the hills, and dozens of people with flats. However, I think this race had more competitors than any I had ever done, so I guess that's why I would see more flats than ever. I'm glad I didn't get one!

Oh, and in case I forgot to mention it, I loved this bike course!! :) :)

Haha...if I didn't care sort of a little bit about my time, I probably would have gone for a third lap, just because I loved this bike course soooooo much!!!!
Transition 2
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Nothing special here. I had an ample amount of gatorade and water during the bike, as well as two GUs, but since I was taking my time, I actually had a bite of a power bar during T2, and had a little more water. It was a good start to the 10K run.

Nada
Run
  • 00m 53s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08s  min/mile
Comments:

There isn't really too much to report on this run. My leg actually felt much better on this run than it did on the first. I knew that bike ride would have done me good. And my legs felt great in terms of having just gotten off the bike...especially with all those hills.

I had no idea how my leg would hold up on this run, so I just settled into a comfortable pace. I wanted to try to find a pace that wasn't difficult for me and one that allowed me to stay as close as possible to my usual running form (at least as far as I could tell). I would hate to have run oddly, on account of my leg, for 6.2 miles and then end up with a knee or foot injury.

This run consisted of a 2.2-mile out and back to the west of the transition area, and then a 4-mile out and back to the east of transition area. Shortly after the turnaround on the first out and back, I crossed paths with Isabel (nj newbie!) and we high fived each other, then I saw a hot tri god, and then I saw my ex. He shouts, "Hey Lauren, how's it going?" I was a little tired and figured it wasn't worth wasting my breath to respond back, so I just gave him the yes-I-see-you nod. I was guessing I was about about a mile ahead of him at this point (he was in a much later wave them me), and I just hoped he wouldn't pass me before the 6.2 miles were over. He didn't, so that's good.

As we ran pass the transition area to start the other out and back, we had to run through grass. It was fairly uneven and rather tough on the leg. I saw my parents and my dad was like, "Lauren, you don't have to do this; you can stop." I said, "Well, I 've come this far, I might as well finish." And, so, I finished!!! I was actually really happy to cross that finish line, considering a little over three hours earlier I was in tears, couldn't run more than 50 yards and I no idea if I was going to do the race or not. It was actually my happiest finish ever (besides maybe my first-ever tri finish). Mattwilley's pictures capture the moment perfectly! :)

Not much. I think I could have run faster, but like I said, I felt comfortable and the leg felt good and so I didn't want to push it. I have no regrets about it.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water, hugged my mom, talked to the parents, high fived kleinrider, had a brief run in with the ex, found the other members of my tri team, and cheered the remaining racers to victory. I also had a trainer/stretcher guy work my leg a little and that was great. I had been a contortionist all week tryng to find a stretch that helped my leg, but I couldn't find anything that worked (or that I even felt for that matter). He found some stretches that worked and I think they did me some good. I was very happy!!

I got extremely hungry about 25 minutes after I finished and so I went and had 2 pieces of pizza, part of an italian hoagie, some honey wheat rolls, cookies, pasta salad, and a bottle of gatorade. I scarfed it all down and it was great...but a few minutes later my stomach wasn't too happy :(. Took a while for that to go away, but oh well. Lessons learned. :) I hung out with my tri team for about an hour and half (lots of BTers). It was a good time and love being on that team and I really appreciated the support they gave me - especially before and during the race!! I really needed it and may not have made it to that finish line without it!! Thanks guys!! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Um, my leg.

Event comments:

This race was great (even without a swim) and I suggest everyone does it next year. I LOVED IT!! Especially the bike course (in case I haven't done a good enough job conveying that point). :)

Last updated: 2006-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:22 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/76
Overall: 0/1339
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:00 | 24.85 miles | 19.12 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:35
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:53 | 06.21 miles | 08s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-26 7:21 PM

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park

2006-06-26 7:25 PM
in reply to: #466624

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park
I am replying to my own race report, because it's not showing in the race report forum and so I want to see if replying to this makes it appear in the forum. I know, I'm a dork.
2006-06-26 7:37 PM

User image

Expert
San Diego
Lauren, I think I am going to let you write my race reports from now on. Very in depth and even though I was there racing with you, reading this I feel like I was you (I wish! You had a great day!). COngratz on being tough and not giving in to something as silly as a leg
2006-06-26 9:56 PM

User image

Veteran
South Jersey

you go girl....great finish!!!!

even though the leg was bothering you and brought you down some, i'm happy for you that you enjoyed the bike course. i'm sure you could of done a 3rd loop.

2006-06-27 4:54 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

Great race, sorry about the swim.

But I am more impressive with the 2 runs on your bad leg then if you would have done the Tri.

You knew what you could do, you did not try to push the run pace to more then your leg could handle.

Awesome race, when you do an Olympic Tri it will be a lot easier then this DU

Good to hear that the bike course was not to bad !

2006-06-27 7:25 AM

User image

Regular
New Jersey
great race and race report. Just one question? Did you like the bike course? I wasn't sure from your report.....

Rest that leg, so that this problem goes away, FAST....

2006-06-27 7:28 AM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ

Great job Lauren.. you should be very proud of yourself!!!

I agree with Steve, can you write my race report???  Great race report 

2006-06-27 9:01 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

You are my new HERO

You tough it up even when you had that leg injury and still you managed to post a GREAT bike split and a great 10K run. Way to go Lauren, now let’s try to find you a good sports MD (cuz the one you saw uummmm sucked!) and make sure you get that injury fix so you can be ready to kick major tail on coming races

CONGRATS, you rock!

2006-06-28 7:07 AM
in reply to: #468075

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Way to be tough, Lauren.  What a great inspiration!

Well, you did manage to pull in all of those favors.  I hardly rained in the city at all on Saturday night.  It's too bad they couldn't hold back the surge that came from upriver.   I checked the swim start at about 8:30 on Saturday night and it looked fine.  I really thought we'd be swimming on Sunday.

I share your excitement about that last decent on the bike into the transition area.  It was amazing to ride through that crowd. 

2006-06-28 8:01 AM

User image

Expert
New Orleans

Well, even though Murphy decided to show up on Sunday and throw his law around, you did a great job! Not only smoking the bike course, but a fantastic time on that second run.

Way to go Lauren, great job!! Now give that leg some rest, it's earned it.

2006-06-28 8:46 AM

User image

Elite

Congratulations on kicking major a$$ despite the injury and swim cancel.  I was like you, nursing a run injury and praying the swim would not be canceled.  But we dealt with it, didn't we.

Great race report.  Congrats!

2006-06-28 9:04 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Way to go Lauren!  John (kleinrider) told me about your leg before the race, so I'm glad you were able to push through a tough start and still enjoy the day.

But I'm wondering...what did you think about the bike?

2006-06-29 9:40 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Lauren, great race.  Stinks that it was turned into a Duathlon.  Especially with you leg not be right, but you still had great times.  I'm also getting the idea that you loved the bike course.  Not sure were I heard that.
2006-06-30 2:32 PM

New user

congrats on the race and i agree with you the bike course is awesome... lucky me i live 2 blocks from the art museum and get to train there all the time. def great hills... you should try the midvail hill off kelly drive right near falls bridge... its a good mile climb...very fun
2006-06-30 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Err....you held that pace in a 5k and a 10k run with a bum leg? Hate to see you when you are healthy. Great job!

Sorry about the bike course, it sounds like you hated it.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park Rss Feed