Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Ironman Florida Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-25 12:02 PM

Subject: Ironman Florida

OK...in over my head I think.  I was one of the lucky few who got into Ironman Florida by registering on-line.  Didn't expect to get in based on stories that I heard.  Paid up, and now I am all-in.

Has anyone completed this race and have any words of wisdom for a 48 year old first time Ironman?  Anyone else from Ontario going to Panama Beach in 2013?  I am from a small town, just outside Peterborough.

PD 

2012-12-25 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4547581

User image

Owensboro, KY
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida
Congrats to getting into a tough race.  My husband has done IMFL in 2005 and 2011 and is also registered for IMFL 2013.  It's a great race.  You're gonna do great.
2013-01-29 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

I did IMFL in 2009 and 2011 and both times I was older than you

Best advice is just relax and enjoy the day. As long as you take it easy on the bike and make sure you stick to your hydration and nutrition plan you will be fine.

Lots of people from SW Ontario where I am have done the race the last few years, but I don't have any contacts in your part of the province.

2013-01-29 4:31 PM

User image

Expert

I did IMFL in 2010.  I'm in southwestern ontario.  I am trying to get down there for the race this year as a volunteer, but i will also have a 3 month old at the time, so I'm not making any crazy plans just yet.

My best advise would be to do some of you bike rides in a flatter area of the province then where you are.  How far from Peterborough are you and on what side?  you could start a ride in Frankford and not have too worry too much about hills.  The idea is to get to experience 1) wind (can be a huge player in Florida) and 2) riding flats (i.e., riding in aero for 6+ hours with little opportunity to get out of the saddle). 

I also did Welland as an early season half IM.  I think it was a great race simulation for Florida, unfortunatly it is pretty early in the season.  The year I did florida, I held a steady base of 10-12 hours through to may and then did a mini build to welland, took a few of weeks after the race easy before starting to train in earnest in August. 

Another thing that is a bit of a challenge is swimming in the ocean, though, IMO, it isn't as bad as the great lakes.  The waves in the ocean are more like swells and not the chop you get in lake erie or lake ontario.  I would plan to get there a few days early to get some good practice swims in.  Also, salt water chafes like a mother, so make sure to use lots of body glide on the back of your neck.  The salt water is very bouyant.  you would be able to easily float without treading water with your wetsuit in the salt water.

I hope you have a wonderful time.  Florida was AWESOME!

2013-03-27 1:15 PM

User image

New user

I'm doing IMFL as my first IM too...was totally suprised to get in online! Looking at doing Steelhead 70.3 in August as my 2nd Half of the year...coaches orders Hope your training goes great!
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Ironman Florida Rss Feed