BT Development Mentor Program Archives » T3 Spring training 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2012-12-26 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
jenks
Subject: T3 Spring training 2013 - Closed

T3 Spring training 2013 

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now 

GROUP FOCUS: Sprint and OLY

NAME: handyhammer/ Dave     

STORY: I started running triathlons in 2009, My first was a disaster of olympic proportions.   I decided to continue working at triathlons and formed a team T3 to assisst other new triathletes in training.   I have completed 16 races, and one half ironman.   I love triathlons to keep my family in active and keep myself in shape. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two kids.   We all race.    

CURRENT TRAINING:

I train in all three sports with interval training.   I work at getting the max effort out of a short time.   I also work in many crossfit workouts for strength.  A typical week consists of 2 swims, two runs, two bike workouts, and three crossfit workouts.   

In 2012 I focused on sprint and oly distance.  I completed in the regional OLY finishing 21st overall in the male division.   for 2013 I have planned 3 sprints two OLY and a Half.  

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2012 I completed 6 Triathlons 5 sprints and 1 OLY (regional championship)

2013 RACES: 

4th annual ORU sprint

Spring Fever Sprint

El Reno OLY

Kansas 70.3

Lake caremore OLY

Fall races not set.  

WEIGHTLOSS: no weightloss goals.    

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I would be a good mentor because 1st I am on the beginner site at least 4 times a week.   I also am captain if T3 (t-town triathletes), and work at setting up team training programs.   I look forward to seeing you join in and lets go race. 

Edited by handyhammer 2012-12-30 11:56 AM

2012-12-28 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4548156

User image

Veteran
jenks
Subject: RE: T3 Spring training 2013 - OPEN
Please post your real name with your username.   Ask away with all questions. 
2012-12-28 2:02 PM

Englefeld

Hi Dave,

My name is Troy. I would like to join your group. 2013 will be my first year of triathlon. I have a 'B' Oly dist scheduled for 30-JUNE and my 'A' race is a Oly+ race on 12-AUG.

I am 35 yrs old, married with 2 young kids. I have been running for a few years, but I need to work on my bike and definitely my swim.

I hope to structure my training weeks using your same philosophy of 2-2-2 for each discipline and then mixing in some strength training (bowflex/ body weights). between work and kids I don't have much more time then 1 hr a day during the week, and 2 each day of the weekend.

Troy

2012-12-28 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4552086

User image

Veteran
jenks

troy,

Welcome home.   I love working with new athletes.   I have a team member here that is close to your situation.    Let me know if you have any questions, no matter how dumb they sound to you, others want to know too.    

2012-12-28 6:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Hi, I'll join the group. 

Login: Dominion

Real: Chris

2013 Will be my first season of triathlon unless you count 2 sprint races in 1999.

I too am married with 2 kids.  I  have 6 sprints and an Oly on the schedule as well as a few local 5k's and one regional 10k. 

I have been an on again off again runner all my life and a fairly decent swimmer. The bike is my weakest discipline by far. I recently joined a local riding group and am hoping that it will begin to pay off.

I really liked the fact that you have formed a local team.  I have hopes of doing something similar by recruiting co-workers.

2012-12-28 7:27 PM

User image

Hello, 

Love to join your group :-)

Ive just started out in the sport and i've just joined a tri club here in sydney australia. I have no training plan in place and i am a little clueless as to where to start. 

My goal is to compete in a Sprint distance. I've competed in three Enticer distances which was loads of fun and i'm now hooked. My fitness though is woeful. 

What i want to get out of this group is to help with sorting out my training. One coach told me i needed to train 6 days a week and twice each day. Very unrealistic! I'm a 35 year old woman working full time who has enjoyed sitting on the couch in front of the tv for far too long. 

Any help would be great. 

Thankyou!

2012-12-28 9:44 PM
in reply to: #4552475

User image

Veteran
jenks

Welcome to Chris and Susan. 

I think you guys are in the right place.   I will post up different workouts to try and help with each area.  I knew nothing when I started and had a hard time finding someone to help me get started.  Now I try to help as many athletes as I can.    Let me know what you guys have at home?    Bike trainer? does your spouse support your training? or train with you? 

Susan to help with your TV, I made myself do 15 crunches before I could turn on the TV.   If I watched more than the program I was planning it cost me pushups.   Get creative,  I got fit watching TV then got rid of the TV because I liked working out more than TV.    other ideas Air squats, stretches, planks.   you might try it and see what happens. 

2012-12-28 10:40 PM
in reply to: #4552601

User image

Veteran
jenks

Chris can you set your log to public.  look under your settings.  

Also I dont care how big or small your workout is make sure you log it.  

2012-12-28 11:49 PM

New user
Outside Nashville

Hello!,

I would love to join the group.  I am a 33 y/o male; I am married with two older step-kids; I am a paramedic / firefighter.  I am brand spanking new to triathlons but let me start at the beginning.  Back in September 2012 I finally decide enough was enough and wrote out a long list of goals and inspirations for changing to a healthy life style.  I had ballooned up to 330 lbs (6'1" frame) and could not tie my shoes w/o becoming SOB.  Since then I have lost 40 lb's and have a pretty rigorous workout schedule however my progress is slow but progress is progress .... .  I currently lift weights 3x a week, walk / jog 2~3 miles 2-3x a week and swim 30 minutes of my own modified IM w/o butterfly and a horribly freestyle form 2-3x a week.  The swimming is moving a long and I have recently signed up for some one on one lessons at my gym to improve my freestyle form / breathing.  I do not own a bike but plan on getting something plausible after uncle sam gives me some cash.  Other than riding my bike as a teenager I have never cycled.  I have been working very hard at improving my run but I still have quite a bit of issues with shin splints despite PT, inserts, good shoes, and other things however, I am up to being able to do 3 minute intervals x 5-6 on asphalt and 5 minute intervals x 4-5 times with 0 grade on the treadmill.  

I plan on doing 3 sprint tri's this year.  The first one is in April, second is in June, and the last one is in September.  I follow a decent diet with 1-2 cheat meals a week.  I actually use a calorie / activity app. on my phone and have logged everything for the last six weeks.  If I am two far behind the curve please dont hesitate to tell me but I would love to sit in on the advice.  If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

My current short term goals: Improve my freestyle form / breathing.  Begin a core workout 2-3 x a week.  Work up to running 5k non-stop.  Get a bike!

Username: Firemedic623

Realname: Mark

2012-12-29 2:22 AM

New user
Gold Coast

Hi Dave

I would really like to join your group if possible. My name is Ann-Maree I live on the Gold Coast in Australia. I am 47yo, I have been running for about 10 years have done a few halves and a full marathon.  I have spent to last 4 years training and competeing in ultras, 96km in the state forest where I live.  I am now ready for a change and have wanted to do tri's for a long time but am a really bad swimmer/biker  - I have joined a swim squad and am getting better, as for the bike I have one I just need to use it.

2013 will see me married for 25 years and I have two grown boys and a grand daughter.  My work day is quit long and I find it hard to train, but there  is a sprint in April I would really luv to do.

Thanks

One question...what is T3?

Edited by runamrun 2012-12-29 2:24 AM
2012-12-29 7:03 AM
in reply to: #4552601

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Thanks Dave,

To answer a few questions, I don't have a bike trainer yet but here in Georgia its not too cold most days to get out and ride.  I just have to do more of it. I didn't get my road bike until a few  months ago and need to just get out and start getting some miles on it.  The local riding group should help with that.

My spouse is very supportive though not that active herself. I do have an 8 year old daughter that is starting to show some interest in running and that is very cool.  I've gone with her on a few 1  mile runs and she is blasted a 9:17 first time out.  I thought that was pretty good for an 8 year old first time out.  Anyway with my daughter wanting to run some that is apparently motivating my wife to get more active and join in, so hopefully we can get the whole family moving forward with better fitness this year.

2012-12-29 7:19 AM
in reply to: #4552670

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Firemedic623/Mark,

Welcome to BT and the group.  I am a firefighter as well, a Captain with the City of Statesboro, GA.

I've been on the job for 12 years and love many aspects of it.  One of the best though is the schedule. (24/28).  This allows plenty of time for training.  The wife goes off to work, the kids go off to school and i've got 2 days to concentrate on my training.  Also we have a full private (Public Safety only) gym the city built for us.  Fully stocked with Treadmills' ellipticals, free weights and machines. (no bikes yet, though i have put in a request).  The great thing is not only is it available but it is required for us to put in at least one hour in the gym every shift day.  I've been using it to get some treadmill time in and a brief lifting session.  Gotta love getting paid to work out.

Edited by Dominion 2012-12-29 7:21 AM
2012-12-29 8:02 AM

User image

Dave, if possible I would really like to join your group! My name is Tim, I'm 40 well almost 41. I'm new to tri's, I'm farely new to running, I started about 2 yrs ago when my wife (she had done half marathons, 5k's etc.) & 9 yr old son entered a 5k at a scout jamboree. I was driving to work the day before & thinking if I don't/can't run with them it's time to turn in the man card, so I entered & pushed my daughter in the jogging stroller (funny my wife didn't bother to mention the tires were all but flat) & I beat my goal of not being the last guy to finish, actually I was about mid pack. So from then on I've been hooked, I've done a number of 5&10k's since. I entered my first half marathon this summer & finished 250th out of 2156, I was pleased considering I beat my goal by a minute & I wasn't able to train the last 3 weeks prior to the race. I entered a couple Duathlons last summer & finished 3rd in my AG in the 1st & 2nd in the 2nd. I plan to do the Kansas 70.3, the Omaha Duathlon & Triathlon, Tough Mudder CO, Omaha half marathon & probably a sprint tri or 2. I love competition, & I love racing & I would love to have a mentor to help me train properly. Thank you! Tim
2012-12-29 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4552774

User image

Veteran
jenks

Alright good morning everyone,  

It looks like a great group.   First off I want to welcome in Mark, Ann-maree, and Tim.    I am going to get everyone added in here.    

Runamrun you ask what T3 is?   it stands for T-town triathletes.  Most of my team lives in Tulsa Oklahoma also know as T-town, due to job transfers we now have people in Denver, Virginia, and New Mexico.     If you face book look up ttown triathlete, I run that so most of the stuff will come from me, my wife helps some and one other teammate at times.  

Dominion and FireMedic623-  I finished my EMT course 2 weeks ago and sit for the registery test next week.    I have applied and finished the process to join the Tulsa fire department and just waiting for the next academy.     I might have some questions for you guys too. 

A few of you have answered some other questions I have:

Do you have a bike?   if so what kind?   not that it matters.  

Do you have access to a pool?   

group so far to help everyone add to the friend list.   

tgullacher  - troy

dominion   Chris

Susanname   -susan

firemedic623 - Mark

runamrun - annMaree

BigAirT - Tim  

2012-12-29 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4552670

User image

Veteran
jenks

Mark,  

I like your workout plan.   It looks like the right number of workouts,  With your one on one swim try to pick up 4 or 5 good drills that you can work with after your lessons.    Swimming really does not come down to strenght it is alot of form.   To help burn calories and work on the bike without one jump in some spin classes.    They are very humbling but can add a lot of power to the legs and burn a stupid amount of calories.   

Keep it up. 

2012-12-29 9:54 AM

New user
Outside Nashville

Okay I will look into some spin classes and thanks for excepting me into the group.  Do you have any walk / jog workouts that could help me push forward?  

Good luck with your registry it can be a pain.  I recommend dropping 30$ for a test review site and do the practice exams that they lay out for you.  The good review sites offer free time extensions if you fail your test; my wife failed the first time but passed the second time after using one of those websites.

2012-12-29 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4552774

New user
Outside Nashville
I have been on the job about the same time ... June 2013 will be 13 years however, its not a major metropolitan department so we do good to keep the rigs rolling.  We have begged to add fitness incentives / requirements but its all but impossible.  They finally added a physical agility test 4 years ago but its pretty easy.  I work in Wilson county which borders Nashville, TN.  Good to have some similar people in the group =D.  
2012-12-29 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4552878

User image

Veteran
jenks

On your workouts,  I recommend doing a walk/jog combo or jog run.   You will begin to build a better base and save joints by doing combo workouts.    Look at your planned run and do 3-5 faster paced sections within the workout.    about 1/3rd of the time at faster speed.  

Example: my 5k run workout

easy jog first 1/2 mile.  

then I will do 5 intervals 90 seconds of all I can handle with a 45 second recovery in between.   Once all 5 intervals are completed I jog out the remaining distance.  

Begin with only 45 sec to 1 min intervals til you get use to what you can handle.   Your jog or walk needs to be slow.    That is the hard part.  your slow needs to be really slow to recover and your fast needs to be where you dont want to do it anymore.    do this for a week then start making the intervals a little longer.    not to exceed 2 minutes for the longest interval

2012-12-29 5:39 PM

User image

Ive recently bought a Giant flatbar road bike. So far I've racked up 31kms so I clearly need to get out on it more often.
I have two swimming centres that are within 5kms from home which is good. I've also just joined a triathlon club, which I haven't attended as yet, that swim in a lake.
I should also mention I have a triathlon on the 13th January in a river!! Short distances but the nerves is what I struggle with (Here's the link if interested http://www.eliteenergy.com.au/nowra_2013/enticer.html#.UN9-fVwazCQ<...
Also, as I'm in Sydney Australia I can train outdoors all year round. Just a bit hot during the day at the moment. Been hitting the 35-38 degrees mark a lot.
2012-12-29 5:42 PM

User image

Oh as for spouse, yes he does support me although he won't join me which is a shame.
Thanks for the tv tips. I'll give it a go.
2012-12-29 5:50 PM
in reply to: #4553273

User image

Veteran
jenks
great bike,  I love Giant bikes.   that is what my family rides too, although I have a few others hanging in the garage too that I love.   I wish I could train outside all year.  it was a chilly 15 degrees F. this morning.    With your nerves I want you to put together a race plan and post it up.   Times you would be happy with and think about where you want to start to avoid others in the swim.   Getting together a plan and talking it out will help that termendously.  

2012-12-29 6:35 PM

New user
Gold Coast

Thanks Dave.  I am really looking forward to working with you and everyone in the program and getting my first tri done.

I have an old raceing bike a Campagnolo about 10 yo.  When I took it in to get a service they called it retro and laughed...oh well I'm sure it will do the trick it is only my first tri.  I am going to start cycling on a spin bike next week.

Will do swim squad twice a week and try and run twice a week.

Good luck everyone with your training.

2012-12-29 8:32 PM

Hi Dave,

My name is Angela and I would also like to join your group. I did 4 or 5  sprints a few years ago but the injury bug took its turn on me and have pretty much been on the couch since then. In the fall I took a running clinic that reminded me how much I loved running and spurred me to get back in to triathlons.

I would like to get 3 sprints and an Oly under my belt this year and a full IM in 3 years.

I am 36 with 2 older children (14 and 11) and am married to a very supportive guy. We are a busy family as my 14 yo plays competitive softball.

I have a bike and an indoor trainer that have been sitting idle for the last few years.

2012-12-29 10:11 PM

Hi just wondering if you still have room in your group? I'm 37, married and mother of 4 great kiddos now 11, 9, 7 & 5. In November I completed a half marathon and am looking for a new challenge. I started riding my bike and love to swim so I am looking to combing this into a triathlon this spring. This will be my first effort but am looking forward to it. I also hope to continue my weightloss efforts and improved nutritional habits. I know it will be a lot of hard work and could use some encouragement along the way. Hope you have an opening!Keri
2012-12-30 1:29 AM

User image

So with the swim, I would want to start at the back of the pack? Is that right? Furthest from the first bouy? So I can avoid people? As for times, I'm embarrassed to say that I don't really know what would be good for me. This is how much of a newbie that I am. My last swim time was 8:37 250m, 29:18 10kms and run a dismal 15:33 for 2kms as I had to walk a lot of it. It was 42 degrees (107 degree f) in my defense. So I could knock a few mins off each I guess. In some exciting news, I've decided today that my first sprint goal is going to be in May in Fiji. So I have 5 months to get my fitness up to scratch.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » T3 Spring training 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 17