General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Liberty Triathlon 2013 Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-12-26 5:51 PM

Subject: Liberty Triathlon 2013 Long Course

Thinking ahead to next year and my first IM, the Liberty Triathlon long course looks like a good opportunity to have a mid year training check (June 8).  Has anyone done this event?  How is it?  Is it a good training event?

Any thoughts on this event or an alternative recommendation in June or July would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2012-12-26 8:04 PM
in reply to: #4548951

User image

Regular
Waconia, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Liberty Triathlon 2013 Long Course

Other people here may disagree but I had a horrible experience with this race last year, or more with Final Stretch. I may be taking it extreme but I will never do a Final Stretch event because of this. I ended up dropping out of the race after the bike last year for multiple reasons (some personal) but also because a lower than advertised number of aid stations on the bike. The volunteers at both aid stations handed me 1/4 full water bottles! The waves were mistimed and they had many people going off in the wrong waves, especially the elite waves. These could be all minor things but I do race the elite division and "live off the course" while racing and plan my nutrition on what is advertised for being handed out as well as number of aid stations. All of this was not communicated correctly, plus it was very hot that day. I asked a Final Stretch "employee" on site about this miscommunication (I actually was being nice and was calm) but was completely blown off by this individual. Of course I was beginning to get upset when this happened. I debated sending an email or not for a few days after about complaing about my experience and this individual. I finally did but never received a reply, an apology or even an explanation. I sent a total of 3 emails (maybe a little overboard on my part). The first with my complaints and the other two as follow ups asking if they could provide any light on this. I sent them directly to the two (I believe husband and wife but I won't provide their names) people running Final Stretch.

I have done this race in the past and really enjoyed it but the mismanagement and lack of professionalism last year turned me off so much I can't give them my money ever again. Maybe I am over reacting but I wasn't even out looking for an apology or anything in return but an explaination on why things were so poorly managed but that never came.

Great, now I probably sound like I am an a$$hole! Anyway just wanted to share my experience. I am doing Kansas 70.3 that weekend for 2013, It will cost A LOT more but I am sure it will run very smoothly.

2012-12-26 9:02 PM
in reply to: #4549094

User image

Regular

Seriously I've done many of their races last two years and had no problems. I like their race organization techniques. I race in age-group division. I don't live off the course. I come with enough juice and gels to get me through. Anything extra on the course is great.

I'm in for '13 Liberty HIM. I'm doing IMWI on 9/8. So this will be my 1st HIM in '13. The 2nd one is Chisago HIM.

2012-12-26 9:13 PM
in reply to: #4549166

User image

Regular
Waconia, Minnesota

That is actually great to hear that you have not had problems. As mentioned I probably over reacted as I have done other races that they put on with no problems as well. I was just very put off by them not even responding to my emails or with one of the "event staff" blowing me off. I honestly was not even upset or pointing a finger at them but just was wanting to find out what happened, more of an explanaition so I can learn from it myself so this does not happen to me again in a race. Also, I do understand that I could have taken enough nutrition with me and none of this would have been a problem but I never have done this for any other race as I just make very sure I know what and how many aid stations there are so I did not expect it.

Maybe something like this will never happen again because I do know of a few others that I race with who had the same problems and sent emails without responses either. Even though Final Stretch did not acknowledge us, hopefully they made the changes needed.

2012-12-26 9:22 PM
in reply to: #4549180

User image

Regular

BTW, Final Stretch is one of better race organizers in MN.
You know they have good plan and organization but they do rely heavily on volunteers especially with high school sports programs. And if you've got young volunteers that don't follow instructions then it's SOL on your part.
There's one race organizer that you just have to come really prepared but I won't name name.
FS have a Facebook group setup. I'm sure they will answer your queries there.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/54385144766/

2012-12-26 9:56 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
I have emailed FS with issues regarding finish times/awards, with no response, also. However I have had no in race issues with them. I did not do the half there last year I did the oly. I have done a number of their races. They are more organized then other local organizations and better then small out of state races I have done. They are small and not as organized as some of the huge races. ie lifetime, Chisago or any 70.3 IM branded events. Last year was at a different venue due to construction. It was also very hot, but any races from late June to early aug were hot last year. Chisago in late July is a large event (also hot) and it really was fun the way a lot of the town come out for it.

2012-12-27 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4549218

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I agree that their major problem has to do with their reliance on volunteers.  They have very few staff and if you talked with a staff person on race day I'd say it was a surprising coincidence.  I volunteered at a recent FS event and my group made many mistakes.  Even as a very experienced racer I did stuff that had me rolling my eyes.  Race day is really really hectic and there's not enough management to go around.  The 1/4 full bottles are a good example. I am sure it was the case of untrained volunteers who had no idea and had never raced a tri before.    It will probably happen again.  If you want to resolve this, volunteer at a bike aid station next year and make it happen.

I agree that they should at least have the aid stations/support they have advertised.    Even if they have no aid stations, they need to be honest about what they can handle so you can be prepared.  I think they have grown a lot in the last few years and I have witnessed several "growing pains."

Regarding communication, it's a problem if you e-mail them at [email protected].  I have sent many things in that direction, unanswered.  However, if you can get hold of a person's e-mail address its better.  If you wish to try contacting them again, PM me and I can give you an address.

I have communicated directly with them on a few things and even then some communications are dropped, so it's not perfect, but a start.   I firmly believe in providing feedback about this sort of thing after a race and I don't think 3 e-mails is excessive when you're being ignored!  I honestly and truly think that many race organizers really don't know how important this stuff is. 

And lastly, for everyone reading this, I highly recommend volunteering at a race if you haven't. It's quite eye opening.  It's a very hard work day, you start early (sometimes before racers) and go go go until it's done.  At times it's really boring, other times it's out of control.    It's given me much more respect for volunteers and also is eye opening, truly, about how races are organized.  Even the biggest organizers can't stay on top of everything ("T.O." cough cough).

2012-12-27 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4549549

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Regarding Liberty specifically...  I have only done the Olympic, but I've got enough experience with this race to make a few opinions.

1.  It's not really "mid-season", it's pretty early.  But it's a good way to motivate yourself to get in those long grueling bike rides in the spring. 

2.  The course is pretty nice but not easy.  If you can get ready for this bike, you're in really good shape for races further down the line.

3.  The weather can be all over the place.  Sometimes it's rained and been cold, apparently last year it was quite hot.  It's always wet suit legal.

I think it's a good race.  But yeah, it's not a very "fancy" race and you probably want to plan to manage your own nutrition. 

2012-12-27 5:49 PM

Wow thanks for the thoughtful replies!  I took a deep breath and registered for the long course.  My first ever tri was Square Lake long course last year.  I was totally shocked at the complete lack of support along the bike route.  I thought if someone had a medical emergency or got lost that poor soul was completely SOL.    In fact, at one of the major turns when I got there the race volunteers and direction signs were gone!  It's just darn lucky that I remembered to turn at that point.  So I guess based on that experience, I have zero expectations of any bike leg support.

I am mainly interested in another practice tri to work on transition agility and to see how I am doing training-wise.

I am sorry for the crappy treatment of racers by Final Stretch.  Either they are really incompetent or they don't care about good customer support.  That's too bad.  Eventually no one will want to pay to participate in their races.

2012-12-27 6:29 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN

Which full are you training for?  Reason I ask is that if you're going to use this as a fitness indicator then it ought to somewhat match the terrain/type of course at the full you're doing.

For example, I did SuperiorMan last summer as my fitness indicator getting ready for IM AZ.  Both very similar in that they're relatively flat courses and multiple loops.  I purposely chose not to do the Rev 3 half in the Dells, even though it looked like fun, because it was a hilly, technical course, not anything like Arizona.

2012-12-27 6:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Grove,MN
I did the Olympic last year, had nothing go wrong except the run course was different then what was planed it seemed to me. This race has alot of problems with timing it seems, alteast the past two years. At the race site it said I won my AG, but now its saying I came in fourth, so idk. I have done many of their races with very minor problems that no one can predict nor fix asap. Im doing the long course this year with you so lets hope for a good race!!

2012-12-27 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4550662

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I know one problem last year, that sets it apart, is they had to make a change to the venue due.  I assume it's back to Baker Park this year and that's more ironed out course-wise.
2012-12-27 11:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Their website shows that it's still at Lake Rebecca for this coming year. They mentioned something to the effect of "a lot of positive feedback RE the course." There were only 2 water stations on the bike instead of the advertised 3, and the second station had only two kids who didn't seem to know what they were supposed to be doing. Only one of the stations on the run had ice. Given that it was over 90 (95?) that day, a little more ice would have been nice. I recall hearing about the finisher medal/timing issues. Personally, I like the bike course better at the Baker site (i may be just a little biased, since I live really close to that course). I'm planning on doing the MS 150 that weekend instead this year. Plus, I'm sticking to Olympic distance races this year.
2012-12-28 8:33 PM
in reply to: #4551043

User image

Regular
Bring on the Rebecca course next year! I'm ready for it now. Gonna kick its @ss especially the run route. I thought I was going to die on the run. Damn hot that day too. Laughing
2013-02-04 8:28 AM

Littleton, Colorado
I was able to get one 1/4 bottle of water bc the first aid was just too soon. Dropped out on run. Aid stations are one of the main reasons to pay for a race imo. Also got almost run over in the little town coming back in. A mustang also tried to run me off the shoulder. Only the former was a volunteer waving through. The roads were also in poor shape.
2013-04-02 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4607345

User image

Regular

I thought the roads were in 75% good shape. Some parts may be rough but no large potholes that you have to dodge. I agree that aid station for bike route needed improvement. In general, they should have improvements from last year.

adambeston - 2013-02-04 8:28 AM I was able to get one 1/4 bottle of water bc the first aid was just too soon. Dropped out on run. Aid stations are one of the main reasons to pay for a race imo. Also got almost run over in the little town coming back in. A mustang also tried to run me off the shoulder. Only the former was a volunteer waving through. The roads were also in poor shape.

2013-05-28 8:57 PM
in reply to: Me XMan

Only eleven days to go! Is the water going to be freezing cold! Has anyone gone for a swim in Lake Rebecca yet? How does the water quality compare to Square Lake?

Any tips for a newbie from the more experienced triathletes? Starting to freak out. Training has been difficult due to weather and injuries. I'm in it to finish and practice transitions.
2013-05-28 9:30 PM
in reply to: sthoresen

User image

I did the Olympic Distance last year. Pretty simple. My tip for a newbie is if you are uncomfortable swimming in chaos, line up away from the buoys and to the back. Start out nice and slow swimming as there will be knots of swimmers that need to break up. If you do get hit, keep swimming. My take is if I run into them, I need to defer to them and go around. If they are running into me, they need to go around, I'm not adjusting.

Originally posted by sthoresen

Only eleven days to go! Is the water going to be freezing cold! Has anyone gone for a swim in Lake Rebecca yet? How does the water quality compare to Square Lake?

Any tips for a newbie from the more experienced triathletes? Starting to freak out. Training has been difficult due to weather and injuries. I'm in it to finish and practice transitions.
2013-05-29 1:45 PM
in reply to: sthoresen

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-29 4:39 PM
in reply to: brickbd

Minneapolis, MN
I would be very surprised if it is not 5 degrees warmer over almost 2 weeks time. If not more. There actually is a generic OWS temp posting in the tri talk forum that is in regards to liberty. Both Ryan and I posted in there. That size lake can really warm up quickly.

5 degrees does not sound like much, but with adrenaline of race day, you will be amazed how decent it will feel.
Don't get me wrong it is not going to be as warm as last year. But I personally thought water temps hurt mine and other people's over all time, last year, by being too warm.

Stay positive. It will be a great race for ya
2013-05-29 7:50 PM
in reply to: peteweb55403

Veteran
Maple Grove
Just looking at the 10-day forcast (which obviously is notorious for changing dramatically), it's supposed to be in the 60s all week next week, with lows in the 50s. That will keep the water temp in the low 60s at best. In reviewing this thread, I think this is probably a good course for IMMOO training, as it has a lot of rollers on the bike course. Ice on the course probably won't be an issue, as it's likely to be 20-25 degrees cooler than last year. Hopefully they'll have the advertised number of water stops on the bike, with full bottles this year. Good luck to all who are doing it this year! Sadly, I'll be working that weekend.

2013-05-29 7:56 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

I'm in! Doing IMOO this year. Recovering from a back injury so will be walking a lot. I was scheduled to do the olympic, but was told "well if you are going to walk it, you might as well do the 1/2 iron." I mean, who could argue with logic like that?
2013-05-29 7:59 PM
in reply to: shaunjamison

Minneapolis, MN
Originally posted by shaunjamison

I'm in! Doing IMOO this year. Recovering from a back injury so will be walking a lot. I was scheduled to do the olympic, but was told "well if you are going to walk it, you might as well do the 1/2 iron." I mean, who could argue with logic like that?

Logic? Don't hurt yourself.
2013-05-30 8:52 AM
in reply to: shaunjamison

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by shaunjamison I'm in! Doing IMOO this year. Recovering from a back injury so will be walking a lot. I was scheduled to do the olympic, but was told "well if you are going to walk it, you might as well do the 1/2 iron." I mean, who could argue with logic like that?

Seriously!  That's crazy!

2013-05-30 5:28 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

Regular
Bring on the 60F degree water. I've got my thermal swim cap coming. I'll should be good to go.
I ain't afraid of that bike and run courses anymore. Time for redemption!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Liberty Triathlon 2013 Long Course Rss Feed  

of 2