Multisport Canada
~24C / 0F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m 24s
Overall Rank = 81/163
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/13
Pre-race routine:

Had a good nights sleep the night before. I think the 500 meter swim I did Saturday morning helped put my mind at ease that I could swim just as well in the Lake as in the pool.

Woke at 5:00 a.m. Showered, had breakfast consisting of toasted bagel (1 1/2) with peanut butter, a banana, and 2 large glasses of Orange juice.

Got down to lake at 6:05 a.m. Gates were still locked (was supposed to be open at 6:00 a.m.). Lifted bike and equipment over small fence. Chose a bike rack at the end closest to the lake. Most other participants went for the "prime" spots close to the bike exit/entrance but I wanted more room when taking off my wet suit.

Got body marked and picked up ankle race chip. Went to pump up tires and heard that dreadful sound of a tire popping on someone elses bike. Oh well he had a fair amount of time before his start.

Chatted with folks - saw BTr's Irondog and BradK and one other guy (Chris) I've met at the pool in the mornings. My wife and kids, and a neighbour showed up just before the womens start. My brother in law, mom in law, and another neighbour showed up before the mens start.

Watched the womens start at 8:00 a.m. (Go Irondog!)and then started to get my stuff on. Olympic Men 39 and under started at 9:00 a.m., then Olympic Men 40 and over started at 9:10.

Put body glide on shoulders and ankles/calfs to help with getting body suit off. Should have put some on my neck as post race I could feel the chafe from the wet suit.
Event warmup:

Got in lake and floated on my back letting the cold (14 degree) water seep into the wet suit. Stretched my legs a bit and did a few strokes to warm up the arms and see that the goggles were not fogging up. I guess with the excitement of the race I did not notice the temperature of the water.
Swim
  • 29m 50s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wasn't nervous at the start at all but did forget to start my stopwatch. Realized this part way into my first lap but decided to ignore it and just go with what felt good.

Some bumping and had one guy swim diagonally across my back (not sure where he was going) but I was happy with the start. Occasionally I was right on someones toes. Sighting went well (every 3 to 4 breaths) and I stayed mostly on course.

First lap I concentrated on not going out too fast and on what was going on around me. I was prepared for some bumping but did not experience as much as I thought there might be. Part way through first lap I thought "Holey cow - I'm in a triathlon!"

Second lap I started passing some orange caps (age group that started 10 minutes before us). And it was on this lap that someone swam diagonally across the back of me and kept on swimming.

Third lap went well though when I turned for the boat ramp I had to continually look up for the ramp. I think my mind was already racing on the transition coming up and so my concentration was off on the distance I still had to cover.
What would you do differently?:

Hey this was my first tri - nothing! I was happy with my swim. It's about on pace with what I swim in the pool. I probably could have swam a more direct route between buoys but overall satisfied with my swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No transition times provided with this event. Swim time mat was as you exited the lake and the next mat you hit was when you finished your bike so transition times added to your bike time.

Overall it went well and didn't take too long. I might have sat down too soon to start pulling off the heels of the wet suit but this was because I have tried doing it the standing method (stepping on opposite wet suit leg and pulling leg out) but am clumsy doing it that way.

Nothing that I can think of. Today was all about having fun.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 22s
  • 40 kms
  • 26.27 km/hr
Comments:

First few km on the bike were interesting in that my breathing was still so rapid from the swim. Once it slowed down (about the 5 km point) I started on the water. Gel I started on the 2nd bike loop. Bike was going well until start of 3rd lap when my left uppper hamstring started to get really sore. Not sure what's up with that. I know biking is the one area I can improve in the most but wasn't expecting this sore hamstring. On the 4th lap I resorted to standing and stretching the leg out occasionally. Almost feels like a pull and I wonder if I pulled it stumbling to get out of the lake.

Bike more.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I bike in my running shoes so T2 transition involved taking my helmet off, putting my running hat on, putting race belt on, strapping Garmin on my wrist, and going.

Nothing.
Run
  • 50m 13s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 01s  min/km
Comments:

Tough run. I took the first lap easy as I wasn't sure how much the hamstring would bother me. Seemed okay. At the first water station who do I find handing out water but my 6 year old son Matthew and 4 year old daughter Aimee. So I made sure to grab some water from them on each lap.

On the 2nd lap I started to feel cramps in my stomach but some gas released and I felt a bit better.

On the 3rd lap I had to duck into some trees to pee. And I peed, and peed, and peed. Must have gone on for close to a minute if not over. Does this mean I was adequately hydrated or on the verge of dehydration? It was getting hot out there so I made a point of drinking at each water station on the run. Maybe I overindulged on the water my kids were handing out!

4th loop the hill was tough but I never stopped running. On the descent back to the finish line I started laughing to myself thinking holy cow I'm about to become a triathete. My laughing almost had me hyperventilating.

I got my composure back together but when going through the finish line chute I had to let out a big YYYYYAAAAAA. That got people cheering. I wasn't shy to let people know I was happy with finishing my first tri.

I'm glad I did the hill training for this course but it gave me some knee pain 6 weeks before the race. I'd do hill training again but maybe not quite as much.
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching, walking around visiting with people. Should have gone soak my legs in the lake to cool them down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience. Need to bike more.

Event comments:

Many thanks to those who sent words of encouragement and wisdom, to those who I have learned off of from reading their posts, to those in the monthly challenges who kept me motivated, and to the BeginnerTriathlete website.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:50 | 1500 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/13
Overall: 65/163
Performance: Good
Suit: Full tri wet suit
Course: Beach start. 3 laps of triangular course. Boat ramp exit onto paved path and then grass area.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 14C / 57F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:31:22 | 40 kms | 26.27 km/hr
Age Group: 9/13
Overall: 100/163
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 4 laps of 10 km course. I will try to download my Garmin data and put it in my photo album. This is a hilly tri.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:13 | 10 kms | 05m 01s  min/km
Age Group: 7/13
Overall: 74/163
Performance: Average
Course: 4 laps of 2.5 km course. Very hilly (up up up up, down, down down, down). Not much flat stuff.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-26 10:22 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: Arbour Lake Olympic Triathlon
Photo # 1 - Me with Matthew and Aimee before the mens start.
Photo # 2 - Mens 40+ Beach start.
Photo # 3 - Bike
Photo # 4 - Last hill climb before I become a triathlete!
Photo # 5 - Matthew and Aimee handing out water at the aid station.

Matthew said after the race - "Dad you've got to do this again next year so that Aimee and I can volunteer handing out water!"

Edited by CalgaryRunner 2006-06-26 10:26 PM

2006-06-27 12:42 AM
in reply to: #466815

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Arbour Lake Olympic Triathlon
You TOTALLY ROCKED!! Thanks for cheering me on! I found the run pretty close to brutal. Regardless of the fact that I have run that route a number of times... the heat just about put me on my A**!!

Your report is great! I think I might be a little hard on myself, but I am still so proud of myself. I hit all my goals.

Finish Upright and Smiling
Finish under 4 hours

Done and Done.

So what is next????
2006-06-27 6:45 AM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
Congrats! and a great Race report.

I think your photographer was better than mine.
(Just don't tell my wife.)
2006-06-27 7:31 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

We did it, eh?  Congratulations, fellow triathlete.  Sounds like you had a great race, and the kids being there just makes it all the better.

2006-06-27 10:18 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Congratulations Steve! Great support crew you have there!
2006-06-27 1:20 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-06-27 2:29 PM

Nice job, triathlete! (Don't ya love the sound of that??)

Great race report - thanks for sharing your experience with us.
2006-06-27 2:43 PM

Pro
Wicked run time!

Nice job! I hope I do as well on my first "real" Olympic distance! Where did you swim that it was so cold?
2006-06-27 3:42 PM
in reply to: #467672

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Arbour Lake... Northwest Calgary. It's a man made lake. We don't normally have to many hot days to warm up the water before this event.
2006-06-27 9:58 PM

Master

How did I manage to miss this one?!

Right on Steve, very nice for you first tri.

I love it when young(er than me) ones volunteer. Very good for the sport (and morale).

2006-06-27 10:00 PM

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button
14 celcius in the lake...brutal!!!

Your kids look adorable. Well mister triathlete, i congratulate you on a great of many to come performances.

Félicitations!

2006-06-29 12:32 AM

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Steve, er, Mr. Triathlete!

That's awesome man, great job.  What a great feeling it must have been seeing your kids at the water station, priceless!

Don

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Arbour Lake Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed