United States
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 27m 36s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/24
Pre-race routine:

Drove from hotel in Amarillo to the canyon and down the windy road. Breakfast yogurt apparently didn't agree with Kerry, and he was not feeling good at all. We were unsure about whether to go ahead to the race, stay at the hotel, or ??. Got some pepto bismol and made it to the race start.
Event warmup:

Watched the longer distance folks start off with their headlamps in the dark. Coyotes howling in the background, clear starry sky, and bagpipes playing at the start. Oh, and saw a shooting star on the drive down. Beautiful morning and felt surreal.
Run
  • 2h 27m 36s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 11m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Single file for the first couple miles, which was kind of good as I got to see how more experienced folks handled the terrain. But running it as the sun came up in the canyon was absolutely breathtaking, an experience I'll never forget. Flattened out for some of the last few miles, so was able to pick up a little speed there.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...my first trail race and I loved it. Oh, maybe train on some trails beforehand.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a hamburger at the race site. Thankfully Kerry was feeling better, so we got to relax and visit w/ a couple other racers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience on trails.

Event comments:

Really great race, and one of the best running experiences of my life. Post race lunch was a really nice bonus. Great to have showers on site since we had to hop in the car for the 5 hour drive back home right afterwards.

Last updated: 2012-03-28 12:00 AM
Running
02:27:36 | 12.43 miles | 11m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/24
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Wow, up and down and all around. First trail race, and I was a bit surprised at how narrow and rocky the path was.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes