Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2012-12-27 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: RFP GROUP 2013 - CLOSED

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Today

NAME: tmoran80 / Tim

This group has been together for about 4 years and is constantly growing and evolving!  We have helped people get to the start line of their first sprint and also helped them through their journey of an Ironman summer.  We all truly love this sport and enjoy sharing our knowledge as well as always learning from new people. We welcome members of all levels! "RFP" stands for RELENTLESS FORWARD PROGRESS which is our motto we race by!

STORY: I have always been a runner since I was a kid (cross country, track, etc...)  I did my first marathon (Chicago 91') as a Junior in high school.  Never was fast but just enjoyed the challenge of pushing myself.  Ever since I was little kid I would watch Ironman on NBC and want to do it but never really "believed" I could.  During college, post college and first few years of marriage my fitness consisted of 12 oz. curls and I was the heaviest I have ever been.  When we had our first child (2004) I made a vow that I would not be one of those out of shape dads who cannot do anything with their kids and I signed up for the Chicago Marathon 2008.  I did it again in 2009 but was plagued with injuries.  I decide it was time for Triathlons.  Learned (and still learning) how to swim and bike and I have been addicted ever since. I have completed 3 HIM's (Branson & Racine 2X), multiple triathlons and just recently completed Ironman Wisconsin on September 9, 2012.  

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 3 kids (Evan 8, Sophia 5, Myles 1

CURRENT TRAINING: I am going to use the Fink IronFit again and apply it to my 70.3 training

2013 RACES: This year I plan on doing the Galena Triathlon, Rockford Olympic Tri, Racine 70.3, Oshkosh Olympic, maybe Chicago Triathlon

WEIGHTLOSS: When I started training again in 2008 I had reached 200 lbs.  Since then I have maintained my weight around 165-170 just from consistent training.  My problem is usually I don't eat enough-haha

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: While I may not be the most experienced triathlete I can truly say that I have immersed myself into this lifestyle and have learned a great amount of info and still enjoy learning something new each day.  I will do my best to help answer any questions or if I don't know the answer I surely will get it for you.  Time management is something that each triathlete needs to focus on to be successful and that is something that I have had to deal with over the past three years with 3 kids, full time job, part time job playing in a successful Chicago cover band and fitting in my half and full Ironman training.  But most of all I hope to be able to inspire and drive people to stay at this sport and be as successful at reaching whatever goals they have laid out.

Edited by tmoran80 2013-01-02 4:47 PM

2012-12-30 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4550197

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: RFP GROUP 2013 - OPEN

Edited by IceManScott 2012-12-30 6:08 PM
2012-12-30 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Hey, yo!  Can I hang wit cho?  

2012-12-30 3:42 PM
in reply to: #4554050

User image

Expert

Glad to see you decided to stick around Scott!  Looking forward to an awesome 2013!

IceManScott - 2012-12-30 2:51 PM

Hey, yo!  Can I hang wit cho?  

2012-12-30 3:52 PM

User image

Regular
In, signed up for Pleasant PRairie Oly and Racine HIM 2013

Edited by t-royboy 2012-12-30 3:53 PM
2012-12-30 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4554115

User image

Expert

Welcome T-royboy.  When you get a chance just post your info so we can get to know you.

NAME: 

STORY: 

FAMILY STATUS: 

CURRENT TRAINING: 

2013 RACES: 

WEIGHTLOSS: 

WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR OUT OF THIS GROUP:

I might also do Pleasant Praire depending on Schedule.  Racine is gonna be my A race this year - just hoping for temps under 100 -haha

t-royboy - 2012-12-30 3:52 PM In, signed up for Pleasant PRairie Oly and Racine HIM 2013

Edited by tmoran80 2012-12-30 4:08 PM

2012-12-30 4:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Count me in again!  

NAME:  Kathy (krazytallchick or KTC)

STORY:  I thought I could never be a runner as I had bad knees from playing basketball in school, after joining a gym several years later I realized that strengthening my legs running is possible.  Then I became a race director for the 3rd largest Susan G Komen Race for the Cure and I never ran a 5k before so I started running races getting ideas for my race.  Several years later I ran a marathon in memory of my Mother with Teams in Training.  After running that marathon I thought why not try a triathlon so a year later I completed my first sprint.  The rest is history.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married to a wonderful guy who is my biggest cheerleader, I couldn't do what I do without his love and support.  I also have 2 dogs.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Currently just working out to keep my fitness some what till training starts up.  My coach has me doing base line training this week so we can see where my fitness is before we start.

2013 RACES:  I am thinking about doing an Olympic race in June but my big races will be Augusta 70.3 in Sept and IMAZ.

WEIGHTLOSS:  For the most part I have been lucky with my weight.  In 2008 I had to buy a larger size in pants and that was when I said I really need to do something again to keep my weight on track since we all know what weight and age goes up.  Plus I love to eat.  

WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR OUT OF THIS GROUP:  If with the best cheerleader beside me I still have motivation issues and sometimes he doesn't help.  I need a group to stay motivated and I like to learn from others.  I will also share anything that I have learned along the way as well. 

2012-12-30 6:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

NAME: Scott Richardson.  Friends call me the Iceman

STORY: 2005, 400 pounds.  Started riding a bike.  2006, after significant weight loss I saw a doctor.  Cancer found.  Beat it. 20007, 2008, relay teams for LiveSTRONG.  2009 first sprint, first Oly. 2010, first half IM.  2011, Ironman Wisconsin.  2012 Branson 70.3 and International Triathlete Coaching Asso coach.  32 inch waist.  Age 61.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married to Kathy, the best manager a triathlete ever had.

CURRENT TRAINING: Vision Quest Coaching.  Run 3X, Bike 4 X, Swim 2-3 times, including twice weekly with the Masters. 

I have a treadmill and a Computrainer. 

2013 RACES:  IronMan Wisonsin 2013.  The Christie marathon in Champaign in April

WEIGHTLOSS:  Lots.  Want to shave 10 by April race day. 

WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR OUT OF THIS GROUP:  Fun, support, information.

2012-12-31 9:36 AM
in reply to: #4554180

User image

Expert

Welcome back Kathy!

krazytallchick - 2012-12-30 4:43 PM

Count me in again!  

NAME:  Kathy (krazytallchick or KTC)

STORY:  I thought I could never be a runner as I had bad knees from playing basketball in school, after joining a gym several years later I realized that strengthening my legs running is possible.  Then I became a race director for the 3rd largest Susan G Komen Race for the Cure and I never ran a 5k before so I started running races getting ideas for my race.  Several years later I ran a marathon in memory of my Mother with Teams in Training.  After running that marathon I thought why not try a triathlon so a year later I completed my first sprint.  The rest is history.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married to a wonderful guy who is my biggest cheerleader, I couldn't do what I do without his love and support.  I also have 2 dogs.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Currently just working out to keep my fitness some what till training starts up.  My coach has me doing base line training this week so we can see where my fitness is before we start.

2013 RACES:  I am thinking about doing an Olympic race in June but my big races will be Augusta 70.3 in Sept and IMAZ.

WEIGHTLOSS:  For the most part I have been lucky with my weight.  In 2008 I had to buy a larger size in pants and that was when I said I really need to do something again to keep my weight on track since we all know what weight and age goes up.  Plus I love to eat.  

WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR OUT OF THIS GROUP:  If with the best cheerleader beside me I still have motivation issues and sometimes he doesn't help.  I need a group to stay motivated and I like to learn from others.  I will also share anything that I have learned along the way as well. 

2012-12-31 10:49 AM

User image

Chicago

My name is Gil.

MY STORY: I am a beginner in Tri's. I have done around 7 sprints and my goal for 2013 is to get into the Olympic distances. I have mostly been a runner and have kept up with it for the last 4 years. I began swimming just 2 and half years ago and this is my weakest area which is why I haven't been able to move up to the bigger Tri's. I have done 5 marathons so I know what it takes to be disciplined with training and what pain feels like. I discovered cycling 3 years ago and I have developed a passion for it which I'm ready to take it to the next level. I'm blessed with a supportive wife that supports my hobbies and passions and this is why I would like to have a mentor help me get to the next level. Last year I completed 2 marathons, 3 sprint triathlons, and a few 5 & 10K's

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 kids and 1 dog.

2013 RACES: Hillstriders March Madness Half Marathon, Galena Triathlon, Pleasant Prairie Triathlon, Chicago Triathlon, Chicago Marathon, and maybe Illinois Marathon

I would like to join your group. I look forward to your response soon.

Regards,

Gil

2012-12-31 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4555011

User image

Expert

Welcome Gil!  Sounds like you have a really good foundation if you want to move up to the Olympic distance from Sprints.  Anything is possible and my belief is most times it is just a confidence issue.  You came to the right place!  There are some great people in this group who will help you get there.  Have you done Galena before?  I love that race.

Make sure you start logging your workouts especially your swims so we can start to try and help!

gdelamora - 2012-12-31 10:49 AM  

My name is Gil.

MY STORY: I am a beginner in Tri's. I have done around 7 sprints and my goal for 2013 is to get into the Olympic distances. I have mostly been a runner and have kept up with it for the last 4 years. I began swimming just 2 and half years ago and this is my weakest area which is why I haven't been able to move up to the bigger Tri's. I have done 5 marathons so I know what it takes to be disciplined with training and what pain feels like. I discovered cycling 3 years ago and I have developed a passion for it which I'm ready to take it to the next level. I'm blessed with a supportive wife that supports my hobbies and passions and this is why I would like to have a mentor help me get to the next level. Last year I completed 2 marathons, 3 sprint triathlons, and a few 5 & 10K's

2013 RACES: Hillstriders March Madness Half Marathon, Galena Triathlon, Pleasant Prairie Triathlon, Chicago Triathlon, Chicago Marathon, and maybe Illinois Marathon

Regards,

Gil

2012-12-31 11:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Boulder

Tim, I'd like to join again too!

NAME: Jen Rossi

STORY: I live in the mountains (9,000 ft) west of Boulder, Colorado. Learned to swim just a couple of years ago so that I could do a triathlon. I instantly fell in love with the sport! I had always been a runner but now that seems to be the discipline I struggle with the most (injury/enjoyment). I've very slow at all 3 but I truly enjoy being a part of the sport and the regiment that goes along with training. Did my first 70.3 last August and I'm signed up for another one this year.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with one crazy dog (weimararner/blk lab mix)

CURRENT TRAINING: Just starting my base training for races in the summer. Running 2-3 days/wk, swimming 2-3 days/wk (1400 meters avg), lifting 2x week, and cycling has been a struggle. Will pick it up again soon!

2013 RACES: "A" race =  Racine 70.3! Others = Boulder sprint tri, Summer Open tri, and a couple of others that I haven't committed to yet.

WEIGHTLOSS: Need to lose the 10 lbs that I've gain over the holiday and off season.

WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR OUT OF THIS GROUP: Buddies that have the same interests as me. Motivation from others and to be able to provide motivation to some that may need it. In general...just talking tri stuff!

2012-12-31 11:52 AM
in reply to: #4555098

User image

Veteran
Boulder

Hi Gil,

Sounds like your from the Chicago area. I'm originally from IL too (Bloomington). This is a great group and I think you'll like it. I just learned to swim a couple of years ago so I feel your pain. Sounds like you are already doing a great job with your training!

gdelamora - 2012-12-31 10:49 AM  

My name is Gil.

Regards,

Gil

2012-12-31 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4555136

User image

Expert

Jen -I forgot you are doing Racine this year.  We will have to definitely have a beer together that weekend! Have you made lodging arrangements yet?  The Raddison which is the closest actually opens up tomorrow which I think we are gonna stay at.  It is close enough to walk to the start. My buddy Mark is also gonna try and get a room. Just an FYI.

WillTriForBeer - 2012-12-31 11:48 AM

Tim, I'd like to join again too!

NAME: Jen Rossi

STORY: I live in the mountains (9,000 ft) west of Boulder, Colorado. Learned to swim just a couple of years ago so that I could do a triathlon. I instantly fell in love with the sport! I had always been a runner but now that seems to be the discipline I struggle with the most (injury/enjoyment). I've very slow at all 3 but I truly enjoy being a part of the sport and the regiment that goes along with training. Did my first 70.3 last August and I'm signed up for another one this year.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with one crazy dog (weimararner/blk lab mix)

CURRENT TRAINING: Just starting my base training for races in the summer. Running 2-3 days/wk, swimming 2-3 days/wk (1400 meters avg), lifting 2x week, and cycling has been a struggle. Will pick it up again soon!

2013 RACES: "A" race =  Racine 70.3! Others = Boulder sprint tri, Summer Open tri, and a couple of others that I haven't committed to yet.

WEIGHTLOSS: Need to lose the 10 lbs that I've gain over the holiday and off season.

WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR OUT OF THIS GROUP: Buddies that have the same interests as me. Motivation from others and to be able to provide motivation to some that may need it. In general...just talking tri stuff!

2012-12-31 12:06 PM

User image

Expert

So I officially got my 2013 plan uploaded to my training log this weekend.  I used the BT gold custom training plan for January-April.  It is a pretty nice function.  I still have my Fink Ironfit spreadsheet I made last year so I just modified that to fit in where it calls for a 70.3  I felt really good for Racine last year during my IM training so I figured this year I will use the same plan and just add some bike intensity and speed workouts.  Hopefully that will help my run this year.

I started using the Trainer Road software so I am gonna swap some of those workouts in for the BT bike workouts since they are great workouts.  

Looking forward to getting going again this year after taking a few weeks off.

2012-12-31 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4555098

User image

Chicago

Tim,

I have done Galena before. I did the Tri in 2012 and the Dual in 2010. I also really enjoy it and plan on doing it again in 2013. I will log all my activities through this site. I am still learning my way around this site as you could probably see because I haven't been able to upload any pictures. Swimming will be the area that I will need help the most. I am really looking forward on having a great year and learning new things with this group.

Thanks,

Gil

2012-12-31 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4555147

User image

Chicago

Hello Jen,

Yes, I live in Bartlett IL. which is in the Western Suburbs of Chicago. I look forward in learning about training and listening to stories about this sport and maybe I can add some of my stories as well. Swiming hasn't been my strong area so I look forward in hearing how soneone like youself got through it.

2012-12-31 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4555347

User image

Expert

Gil - A couple quick questions about your swimming: what do you struggle with the most with?  What is your 100Y pace currently and what would you like it to be?  How many days a week do yo swim and about how many yards per workout?

Also -my wife grew up in Bartlett right by the high school on Schick. small world Laughing 

gdelamora - 2012-12-31 1:29 PM

Tim,

I have done Galena before. I did the Tri in 2012 and the Dual in 2010. I also really enjoy it and plan on doing it again in 2013. I will log all my activities through this site. I am still learning my way around this site as you could probably see because I haven't been able to upload any pictures. Swimming will be the area that I will need help the most. I am really looking forward on having a great year and learning new things with this group.

Thanks,

Gil

2012-12-31 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4555396

User image

Chicago

Hey Tim,

I can see that I have gotten much better when I'm in the pool training or doing a workout. In the oth sides. I am fine nowbreathing every stroke and sticking to one side which has helped me improve my technique with the freestyle stroke.

Not exactly where I need to be when it comes racing. This is where I struggle. I can't seem to get out of the panic stage during a race so my breathing is out of whack and so is my technique. I have a hard time keeping my head in the water which slows me down and makes me feel like reaching for the life guard.

Currently I swim at least twice a week but when I train I get to the pool at least 3 times a week. I try to complete 1000yds per swim now. I can average 1min to 1 min 10 sec. per 50yds. which puts me over 2 mins per 100yds. When I'm focused I can keep this pace up well. During a race a fall apart during the swim and it turns out to be a survival episode.

2012-12-31 4:35 PM
in reply to: #4555396

New user

Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Hello!

NAME: Barry Elliot

STORY: Growing up in California, in school, I swam and played water polo competitively. After that I did some rough water swims but nothing long term. My interest in triathlons actually came from my brother in law who competed in the Ironman in Hawaii when he was stationed there with the Navy. Physically, I started going downhill primarily in my 30's and 40's because of an auditor/consultant related job. This had the typical consequences of having long hours and being on the road most of the time. I was also activated for a couple of years with the military. I am at close to 6' and was never obese but just a little out of shape and overweight. Over the last year, I took a couple of contract jobs in Denver and then DC, before I came back to Tulsa. Those jobs had afforded me a lot more time to run. When I arrived in DC, I had begun running almost every day but had to slow down when I started developing a bad case of plantar fasciitis, which fortunately I had since been able to address. I dropped my mileage in DC but tried to maintain a bit of a weekly schedule. This month I started a new job which I hope will give me the opportunity to take on something new like this.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two children

CURRENT TRAINING: Training for a triathlon will be a new venture for me so this a work in process. Running 4 days/wk (4-8 miles at a time), swimming (I just got access to a indoor swimming facility with my new job), lifting 4 days/wk, and cycling (tbd)

2013 RACES: This has yet to be determined

WEIGHTLOSS: Not sure I really have a goal here. I lost about 30 lbs from last year. Once I get in a routine I have to eat more just to keep the weight on, so no need to plan for it.

WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR OUT OF THIS GROUP: I am looking to draw on the expertise of others in some sports I don't necessarily have the background, particularly cycling.
2012-12-31 6:40 PM
in reply to: #4555584

User image

Expert

Good call on the one side breathing. So many times I hear about people struggling to swim who are told to do bi-lateral breathing and they end up getting frustrated.  Breathing to one side is fine as long as you are rotating correctly.

As far as racing, we will work on it and get you there.  If you are fine in the pool then your issue is most likely just anxiety.  Getting comfortable in open water is difficult and takes work - unfortunately most of that work comes at races to simulate that experience.  I had similar issues a few years ago and even had a panic attack during a swim (until my friend from wave after me swam over me-haha).  I was always the guy who would avoid contact and swim way left or right until I was in the clear. Knowing that the mass swim start at IMWI was going to be difficult for me I made a mental committment in all my races last year that I was going to get as physical as possible and be in the mix. So every race last year I was right in the mix of everyone. Contact wasn't bad and in a way I overcame that issue and "hopefully" won't worry about that this year.  Funny story though - I was SO WORRIED about contact at the mass swim start at IMWI that I thought about it constantly.  Well even before the swim started I was just getting in the water and over to my planned start and got whacked in the face by some ladies foot.  I actually laughed at myself and in a way that was enough to calm me down and actually enjoy the experience once the race started.

Do you do any practice open water swims? That might be good for you to get comfortable in the open water.

gdelamora - 2012-12-31 4:19 PM

Hey Tim,

I can see that I have gotten much better when I'm in the pool training or doing a workout. In the oth sides. I am fine nowbreathing every stroke and sticking to one side which has helped me improve my technique with the freestyle stroke.

Not exactly where I need to be when it comes racing. This is where I struggle. I can't seem to get out of the panic stage during a race so my breathing is out of whack and so is my technique. I have a hard time keeping my head in the water which slows me down and makes me feel like reaching for the life guard.

Currently I swim at least twice a week but when I train I get to the pool at least 3 times a week. I try to complete 1000yds per swim now. I can average 1min to 1 min 10 sec. per 50yds. which puts me over 2 mins per 100yds. When I'm focused I can keep this pace up well. During a race a fall apart during the swim and it turns out to be a survival episode.

2012-12-31 6:45 PM
in reply to: #4555609

User image

Expert

Welcome Barry! Welcome to the world of triathlon! Hopefully after a few races you will be as crazy as the rest of us. Having to travel for work is really tough so glad you seem to be at a spot that you can get back to a regular schedule. Lets get a race on the schedule!!

baelliot - 2012-12-31 4:35 PM Hello! NAME: Barry Elliot STORY: Growing up in California, in school, I swam and played water polo competitively. After that I did some rough water swims but nothing long term. My interest in triathlons actually came from my brother in law who competed in the Ironman in Hawaii when he was stationed there with the Navy. Physically, I started going downhill primarily in my 30's and 40's because of an auditor/consultant related job. This had the typical consequences of having long hours and being on the road most of the time. I was also activated for a couple of years with the military. I am at close to 6' and was never obese but just a little out of shape and overweight. Over the last year, I took a couple of contract jobs in Denver and then DC, before I came back to Tulsa. Those jobs had afforded me a lot more time to run. When I arrived in DC, I had begun running almost every day but had to slow down when I started developing a bad case of plantar fasciitis, which fortunately I had since been able to address. I dropped my mileage in DC but tried to maintain a bit of a weekly schedule. This month I started a new job which I hope will give me the opportunity to take on something new like this. FAMILY STATUS: Married with two children CURRENT TRAINING: Training for a triathlon will be a new venture for me so this a work in process. Running 4 days/wk (4-8 miles at a time), swimming (I just got access to a indoor swimming facility with my new job), lifting 4 days/wk, and cycling (tbd) 2013 RACES: This has yet to be determined WEIGHTLOSS: Not sure I really have a goal here. I lost about 30 lbs from last year. Once I get in a routine I have to eat more just to keep the weight on, so no need to plan for it. WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR OUT OF THIS GROUP: I am looking to draw on the expertise of others in some sports I don't necessarily have the background, particularly cycling.

2012-12-31 7:22 PM
in reply to: #4555765

New user

Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Thanks. It will be nice working for a single company rather than traveling all over God's creation to do work on other companies. I looked at my schedule for the coming year and it all seems to be local. We often use our situation as an excuse, but most of there is a way to achieve some of our goals. I think even with the heavy schedule I had, there was always the ability to keep myself in better shape. A lot of it is just self discipline and making the right choices.

I second your comment on open water swims. Having swam in pools all the time is was a shocker the first time I did a rough water swim. This was in the Pacific and the water was very choppy that day. It was also a little different being in a large pack of people like that.
2013-01-01 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4555804

User image

Expert

baelliot - 2012-12-31 7:22 PM  I second your comment on open water swims. Having swam in pools all the time is was a shocker the first time I did a rough water swim. This was in the Pacific and the water was very choppy that day. It was also a little different being in a large pack of people like that.

With your water polo background you probably actually have some good tips on how to stay calm in the water.  That sport is pretty rough right?

2013-01-01 12:29 PM

I am looking to being my training for a triathlon and really change my life post- having kids back to a fitness focus. I have maintained my love for exercise but found that I need that challenge to really push myself. I am looking for mentorship and some advice as I start.Megan
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RFP GROUP 2013 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41