Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Incestuous Neighbors Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-12-29 7:08 AM
in reply to: #4550594

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Incestuous Neighbors

Most of our neighbors have grown up in this town so they already have groups of friends they hang out with. We always have neighborhood kids running in and out of the house but we don't hang out much with the parents.

Part of the problem is my husbands job (school administrator). People don't realize or don't care that we/he does not want to talk about school policy all night long in a social setting. I've even been backed into a corner to answer questions about "why doesn't school start at 8:00 like I want it to instead of 8:20", or "can't the school call all the parents to tell them when there is going to be a snow day?" Really, you can't just watch the news or listen to the radio like every other town? And I don't even work for the school so why are you even asking me?! Anyway, it is not fun to try to hang out in a social setting and have to deflect these issues all night so we just don't go.

Our neighborhood has two planned social events a year, a Christmas Walk where they walk from house to house visiting and a cook out in the summer. We have managed to have other plans during these events.

It also does not help that our relationship with the neighbors across the street is not friendly due to issues with their dogs. I don't really want to hang out with people who let their dogs scare my my kids in our own yard and then blame my dog, or us for not calling them enough to let them know their dogs are out again, or better yet - let's just blame the children.

2012-12-29 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4552052

Veteran
Sorry, but please dont come south. You will feel VERY out of place. While growing up I lived in a subdivision and all the kids played with each other, went to each others house, and everyone's house was like our own. Same with the parents. They all knew each other, talked to each other, had BBQ with each other, etc. Most of the parents particicpated in coaching or helping in athletics so they all knew each other that way as well. To me, it is weird not to know neighbors.
2012-12-29 11:38 AM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
I have nothing constructive to add, except for get some spots wings and bells beer for me. I miss living in a2.
For what its worth, the block I grew up on in se Michigan was similar. But that was back in the 80s.
2012-12-30 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Well, I've come to the conclusion "it's a kid thing"  Interesting *I* grew up on a block where every house had a kid and we were all friends and in each others' houses BUT our parents didn't hang out together!  There were sleep overs, pool parties, blah blah blah but the parents did their own thing.

I like Jobaxas' comment of being neighborly but "not in each others' pockets"  Nothing wrong with being friendly, kids playing together, I guess it's just the one step further that had me curious.

2012-12-30 8:04 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Nothing as regular on my street, but about 4 times a summer & on the 4th of July, we have block parties.  Cone off the court.  Everyone brings a plate of food or dessert and BYBooze.  Someone brings fireworks.

About 80% of our neighbors come and we don't think twice about the ones who NEVER come.

And although we are only an hour from the West Virginia border, there are no known cousin marriages in the 'hood!

2012-12-30 2:07 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

We live on a cul-de-sac with 9 houses.  Our side of the street (4 in a row) and the one across from us all have kids around the same age with the exception of one (the home of the teenage babysitter for our kids).  The kids all hang out during the summer expeciallly, and also in the winter if there's snow or it's mild.  Often in the summer, we sit in the shade under a tree and watch the kids play (parental supervision) and then other parents come out.  We gab, chat, and sometimes shoot hoops with them.  We enjoy each other's company! 

The other people in the 5 houses on the street NEVER come outside--EVER.  They may cut their lawns, but never to do ANYTHING!  I couldn't even tell you what they look like. Unfortunately, one of these houses has a girl the same age as my kids.  She isn't allowed to play.  We (and our neighbors) have asked multiple times.  It's kinda sad. 

I love my neighbors.  We watch each other's pets or bring in mail/newspaper on vacations, and keep a look-out for weird behavior among cars that "don't belong". 

I'm not saying you have to be "besties", but it's a great feeling when you like your neighbors and trust them.

2012-12-30 9:14 PM
in reply to: #4552818

User image

Pro
Houston
kdlsch111 - 2012-12-29 8:36 AMSorry, but please dont come south. You will feel VERY out of place. While growing up I lived in a subdivision and all the kids played with each other, went to each others house, and everyone's house was like our own. Same with the parents. They all knew each other, talked to each other, had BBQ with each other, etc. Most of the parents particicpated in coaching or helping in athletics so they all knew each other that way as well. To me, it is weird not to know neighbors.

This was St. Louis. However, certainly not Houston. Spoke with a couple a year ago for the first time in 9 years. She was due in May. I assume all went well because I have seen diaper boxes next to their trash can but never saw the baby. This is my 3rd house in Houston. They drive home, go in house and may or may not wave to you in the driveway. We are friendly with a guy 2 doors down but have only seen his wife once. There is one other couple up the street we chat with. In St Louis fences are 4' high so neighbors cn see each other, hang out in garages and talk. I haven't seen that once here. The south is not friendly, I miss the Midwest.
2012-12-31 12:14 AM

User image

Pro

We know our neighbors and they know us.  I know their children, some of them walk into our home without knocking....my kids do the same at their houses.  There are probably not many secrets between us, kids being what they are. Laughing

Halloween is fun....somebody has a fire in their driveway and we all end up there while the kids do the house to house thing, as an example.  Yeah, we frequently end up in someone's garage or on their front porch having a beer or two.  We don't have the "captain" guy....we're too busy. Wait.....Beer is the captain.

When we are gone someone takes care of our pool, our dog, and our house...there are half a dozen people who fill the bill.....we do the same for them when asked.

There are people in our neighborhood who keep to themselves.......we don't care....it doesn't change what we do.  Most of them don't have kids, which was the reason I said "it's a kid thing". They'd be more than welcome to join us when they see us gathering.....but if they don't, they don't.  Again, we don't care.  

2012-12-31 1:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas

We live in a 55+ age restricted community, so at 60 years old we are the babies.  Most of our neighbors are up by 4 am and fed and sleeping by 6pm, (especially during these dark winter days).

You want to talk to neighbors here, go to the rec centers.  There are over 200 ladies playing cards, (most of the old men are dead).

Growing up in Upstate NY (country) we knew everyone, hung out and played.  But as an adult in Los Angeles area, never even talked to my apartment neighbor next door.  Privacy was the name of the game.

2012-12-31 3:05 PM

Living in brooklyn ny all my life . I have the house I live in 20 years . lets's say there are apx 40 houses on the block{20 each side] . I speak to about 6-8 familes , and there are people i don't know at all and that's fine with me.  That's just they way it is in big cities

Edited by jack62 2012-12-31 3:07 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Incestuous Neighbors Rss Feed  

of 2