BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mommy Tri Beginner Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2013-01-23 10:05 AM
in reply to: #4590714

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Tri Mommy Tri Beginner Mentor Group - OPEN
rydergal - 2013-01-23 9:08 AM

Agreed- from what i've read and prenatal fitness instructors the HR thing is an old theory. Studies show some people naturally have a higher heart rate- I am one of them- A recovery run for me will easily get me 150-160bpm, normal run 170-180 and for sprints and speed work easily over 200. So if i went with the old theory of under 150 i'd never be able to do anything more then walk. My prenatal fitness trainer friend advised me keep core cool, don't workout to exhaustion and no more then 4 days a week not including yoga. And make sure you keep hydrated! This is all of course with the understanding there is no underlying concerns!

Hmmm... What to expect says at least 30 minutes 7 days a week of moderate to strenuous excersize?  I had also heard the magic number of 7 hours per week (not to exceed).  I'm doing more than 4 days a week right now?

2013-01-23 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4590972

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Daffodil - 2013-01-23 11:05 AM

Agreed- from what i've read and prenatal fitness instructors the HR thing is an old theory. Studies show some people naturally have a higher heart rate- I am one of them- A recovery run for me will easily get me 150-160bpm, normal run 170-180 and for sprints and speed work easily over 200. So if i went with the old theory of under 150 i'd never be able to do anything more then walk. My prenatal fitness trainer friend advised me keep core cool, don't workout to exhaustion and no more then 4 days a week not including yoga. And make sure you keep hydrated! This is all of course with the understanding there is no underlying concerns!

Hmmm... What to expect says at least 30 minutes 7 days a week of moderate to strenuous excersize?  I had also heard the magic number of 7 hours per week (not to exceed).  I'm doing more than 4 days a week right now?

Thanks guys, it's just so hard to know - my main midwife and my regular dr. both said i can do what i do - just dial it back a bit (my dr. said 'no marathons' haha) but as time goes on and i've slipped out of my regular habits I just feel unsure.  The one i saw most recently mentioned the HR thing but said that was a 'guideline' ... and i am like you - i have seen my HR as high as 200 when running a 5k all out so i know I run high as well.

2013-01-23 11:58 AM
in reply to: #4551230

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA

Is it too late to join this group?

Thanks!

2013-01-23 2:14 PM
in reply to: #4590972

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Daffodil - 2013-01-23 9:05 AM

yeah i kind of argued with her on that point-we did IM together so she knew how mentally it was hard to wrap my head around that so she said I could add in yoga as well. However i'm finding right now with switching my job (I work in a non-prego friendly job) I'm only able to get 4days / week in without being totally wiped at the end of the week.  I think your body will let you know.

2013-01-24 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I had an excellent swim last night. No major breakthroughs or anything just an enjoyable time in the in the pool.    If someone had told my teenage (non-swimming self) that i would be doing group workouts and swimming laps in a pool i wouldn't have believed them. I am still not a terribly skilled swimmer but i do enjoy it ... perhaps still not my favourite leg of triathlon but i do feel accomplished having learned to do it 

So, question for the group: is there are part of training that you've come to love - or at least have a love/hate relationship?

2013-01-24 8:50 PM
in reply to: #4592690

User image

Expert
juniperjen - 2013-01-24 10:45 AM

So, question for the group: is there are part of training that you've come to love - or at least have a love/hate relationship?

I can honestly say that I love all three aspects of triathlon.  I've been a life long swimmer (swimming instructor and lifeguard in higschool and raced for a year in grade 11), fell in love with running in grade 9 (cross country in grade 10).  the one thing I had to pick back up to do a triathlon was biking, but until I got to higshcool I would ride everywhere in the summer.  I grew up in the country, so in the summer if I wanted to go anywhere i would have to ride my bike there. I stopped riding a lot in highschool when I started rollerblading (hey, it was the 90s, everyone was doing it ).  I started riding again for my first tri.  for the first several years it was my weakest discipline, but after starting to train with my coach for my first IM in 2010, it has become more of a strength for me.  In the triathlon world I am a FOP swimmer, MOP biker and BOP runner, but I love it all.  Interestingly though in running races, I am solidly MOP, I think it is because people attracted to triathlons are generaly fitter people or people with a running background?

The one thing I hate above anything else is weights.  ugh.  I would rather go ride my bike for 6 hours or do a 20 mile run then do 30 minutes of weights.

2013-01-24 9:18 PM

User image

Veteran

Sorry I've been out of the mix for a few days. I did by the Spinervals through the website. I actually bought my DVD's a package deal and saved about 15%. I think that was the best way to go. I don't have a computer right now, just my Kindle so downloading was really not an option. But this way I can take my DVD's anywhere and not be attached to one computer.

Have not really trained this past week. On Tuesday after dropping my child off at school I was hit head on by a loaded school bus! My car is a total loss so I'm stuck with some rental that I don't like, but the insurance company is paying for it so I guess I really can't complian.

My back is still stiff and sore so I've been taking it easy on the training and on the weights. Today was my first day back in the weight room and now I'm starting to think that I should have waited a bit longer. Working with a stiff and sore back is no fun, I had to pick up a woman first this this evening and my back has not stopped complaining about it.

Anyway I hope everyone is having a better week than I"ve had!

Beth

2013-01-25 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4593785

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Hubbie - 2013-01-24 8:18 PM

Sorry I've been out of the mix for a few days. I did by the Spinervals through the website. I actually bought my DVD's a package deal and saved about 15%. I think that was the best way to go. I don't have a computer right now, just my Kindle so downloading was really not an option. But this way I can take my DVD's anywhere and not be attached to one computer.

Have not really trained this past week. On Tuesday after dropping my child off at school I was hit head on by a loaded school bus! My car is a total loss so I'm stuck with some rental that I don't like, but the insurance company is paying for it so I guess I really can't complian.

My back is still stiff and sore so I've been taking it easy on the training and on the weights. Today was my first day back in the weight room and now I'm starting to think that I should have waited a bit longer. Working with a stiff and sore back is no fun, I had to pick up a woman first this this evening and my back has not stopped complaining about it.

Beth

Oh my goodness- that would be so scary, good thing you are ok, car's can always be replaced. Hope your feeling better soon!

2013-01-25 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4594090

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
rydergal - 2013-01-25 9:10 AM
Hubbie - 2013-01-24 8:18 PM

Beth

Oh my goodness- that would be so scary, good thing you are ok, car's can always be replaced. Hope you're feeling better soon!

x2 - that is scary - take care of yourself!

2013-01-25 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Hey - where is everybody? How's it going?
2013-01-26 5:42 AM
in reply to: #4591204

User image

Nairobi, Kenya
sealiongirl - 2013-01-23 8:58 PM

Is it too late to join this group?

Thanks!

Hi, Jocelyn!

2013-01-26 5:44 AM
in reply to: #4593785

User image

Nairobi, Kenya
Hubbie - 2013-01-25 6:18 AM

Beth

OMG'ness!  So glad you are okay.  Rest up for a bit!  

2013-01-26 5:51 AM
in reply to: #4594805

User image

Nairobi, Kenya

juniperjen - 2013-01-25 10:39 PM Hey - where is everybody? How's it going?

Still on it!  Getting in all 3.  Still hate running, but do love a challenge...so onward we go, slow as it may be!  Really starting to love swimming.  Though, I have to ask, what is with getting water in my ears??  Ugh!  I looked up a homemade vinegar/alcohol recipe for drying them up, but during the swim it drives me nuts!  Again, total newbie here...any advice?  Biking at the gym, but it looks like I just might be able to get a bike out here.  Looking on BikesDirect.com.  Anyone have a bike from there that they love, hate, or recommend/don't recommend? 

Thanks group!  You all inspire me!

2013-01-26 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4595372

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
TryNatTri - 2013-01-26 4:51 AM

Still on it!  Getting in all 3.  Still hate running, but do love a challenge...so onward we go, slow as it may be!  Really starting to love swimming.  Though, I have to ask, what is with getting water in my ears??  Ugh!  I looked up a homemade vinegar/alcohol recipe for drying them up, but during the swim it drives me nuts!  Again, total newbie here...any advice?  Biking at the gym, but it looks like I just might be able to get a bike out here.  Looking on BikesDirect.com.  Anyone have a bike from there that they love, hate, or recommend/don't recommend? 

I see your location says you are in Nairobi! that's awesome- my hubby and I spent a week of 3 1/2 weeks on our honeymoon in 2009. We LOVED it there and it's in the plan to go back once the kiddos are older. I don't have a bike from bikedirect.com but I love my trek bike! they are awesome- great quality and best bang for your buck- I got full carbon/ultegra for training for IM and it was perfect! My legs loved me going onto the run

2013-01-26 2:12 PM

Hi!I just signed up for a sprint tri on may 18! I'm so nervous and excited. I have a 4.5 year old son and, like you said, think having this impressive goal will be good for sanity on many levels. I rowed in college but since then have stayed in shape with yoga and skiing. I'm looking forward to the challenge and structure of a tri. I would live to be part of your group!
2013-01-26 3:40 PM

User image

Veteran
I got my bike from Bikes Direct. I got the Motobecane Nemsis Pro. The bike is simply amazing! Buying from the company was easy as can be. I would recommend going through them verses a different mail order site.

I would advise knowing what you want in a bike. Things like style (road vs tri) and component levels. Your sale price will also be a good thing to know.

Best of luck to you!

2013-01-27 7:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi all! Training was derailed with having to go home to Canada for a family emergency. All is well now, but I haven't exercised in about 9days, going to try and run today.

This week I need to get serious about my routine and logging food!

Yvonne

2013-01-27 4:54 PM
in reply to: #4585498

New user

Subject: RE: my bike trainer
TresLoca - 2013-01-18 10:20 PM

I rode my bike inside for the first time tonight... I was going to do an hour but decided to stop at 40 minutes... 40 very sweaty minutes. For the first time I think it was OK... sure beats the outside since it's snowing today.

Ruth

Well done.

2013-01-27 4:58 PM
in reply to: #4595372

New user

TryNatTri - 2013-01-26 7:51 AM

I had the same issue with my ears when I started swimming. Not sure why or how but it is no longer a problem. Maybe more swimming is the answer  

2013-01-27 5:04 PM
in reply to: #4587625

New user

Ashglass - 2013-01-21 10:24 AM One piece tri suit or separate top and bottom? I don't want uncovered skin at my waist from a shirt riding up, but I hear the one piece suits are hard to maneuver for bathroom breaks. Neither siund great. What do you like?

I just got a full tri suit and wore it for a work out for the first time last week. It was really comfortable. Can see how it would take a min or 2 longer for a toilet break, but with a sports bra top underneath it would not really matter if you were unzipping the front on the way to/back from the toilet. Guess it might depend on the distance you are going to do? I am only at the sprint stage so toilets breaks are not an issue

2013-01-27 5:12 PM
in reply to: #4592690

New user

juniperjen - 2013-01-24 11:45 AM

I had an excellent swim last night. No major breakthroughs or anything just an enjoyable time in the in the pool.    If someone had told my teenage (non-swimming self) that i would be doing group workouts and swimming laps in a pool i wouldn't have believed them. I am still not a terribly skilled swimmer but i do enjoy it ... perhaps still not my favourite leg of triathlon but i do feel accomplished having learned to do it 

The reason I done my first sprint tri and am now training for my second is all because I could not swim ! When my daughter was almost 3 she fell into a pool while on a play date. Despite the fact I knew she needed help my FEAR of water rooted me to the spot and the other parent dived in and got her out of the pool. It took my another year to go and get lessons. A year and half later I done my first tri. Now I enjoy swimming.(Still find the sea overwhelming but getting better) It is not my strongest leg( not sure which leg is!) but every time I get in the the water and swim it reminds me of how far I have come.

2013-01-27 5:51 PM

New user

Hi Everyone,

How is everyone doing ? I had a great first two weeks training but this week did not go too well.

Monday couch to 5K ( trying to run!)

Tuesday 12k bike and  60min Pilates class.

Tuesday night son sick, Wednesday he goes to hospital, Friday he comes home TG but no training.

This morning go to bike my 20k with the girls  have a flat tyre need a new tube Go back home hubby changes tube for me  Go back do my 20k in the heat and have a headache since !  so glad this week is over !

Looking forward to getting a good week in this week. Am aiming to do my first ever run a 10k ( I walked the 5K in the last sprint !) on the 1st of April. I am behind my training plan on getting to 5k any advice on getting good running form ?

Wishing everyone a wonderful week, it almost February  

2013-01-28 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4596906

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Parker Bim - 2013-01-27 6:51 PM

Hi Everyone,

How is everyone doing ? I had a great first two weeks training but this week did not go too well.

Monday couch to 5K ( trying to run!)

Tuesday 12k bike and  60min Pilates class.

Tuesday night son sick, Wednesday he goes to hospital, Friday he comes home TG but no training.

This morning go to bike my 20k with the girls  have a flat tyre need a new tube Go back home hubby changes tube for me  Go back do my 20k in the heat and have a headache since !  so glad this week is over !

Looking forward to getting a good week in this week. Am aiming to do my first ever run a 10k ( I walked the 5K in the last sprint !) on the 1st of April. I am behind my training plan on getting to 5k any advice on getting good running form ?

Wishing everyone a wonderful week, it almost February  

Yikes, that sounds like 'one of those weeks' where good intentions can't be a match for life circumstances.  But the most important thing is to start again this week!

Glad your son is home!

2013-01-28 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Had an amazing day. I was in the gym locker room getting ready for my run when I heard the admin people called up to the track.

I made my way over there cuz I was curious. The director told me a man was having a seizure and ask for my help. She knows I'm a paramedic.

As I was rounding the track they yelled that he was not breathing. By the time I got to him he was in full cardiac arrest.

Right behind me was a friend who is an off duty police officer. We started CPR and sent for the AED.

After five minutes of CPR and shocked him once we got pulsed back and he was breathing on his own!!!

I went back to the gyms for my sons swim lesson. I then learned that he was awake and talking. No brain damage and very little heart damage.

It's a great feeling starting out with a death and ending with a live person. I celebrated with a six mile run.

It was a great day.
2013-01-30 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4598725

User image

Veteran

Hubbie - 2013-01-28 8:37 PM Had an amazing day. I was in the gym locker room getting ready for my run when I heard the admin people called up to the track.

I made my way over there cuz I was curious. The director told me a man was having a seizure and ask for my help. She knows I'm a paramedic.

As I was rounding the track they yelled that he was not breathing. By the time I got to him he was in full cardiac arrest.

Right behind me was a friend who is an off duty police officer. We started CPR and sent for the AED.

After five minutes of CPR and shocked him once we got pulsed back and he was breathing on his own!!!

I went back to the gyms for my sons swim lesson. I then learned that he was awake and talking. No brain damage and very little heart damage.

It's a great feeling starting out with a death and ending with a live person. I celebrated with a six mile run.

It was a great day.

What an amazing thing, the ability to help someone like that, way to go!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mommy Tri Beginner Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 10