2012-12-28 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: kenail's Group - Closed
WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Beginning of 2013

GROUP FOCUS: Any distance triathlon, help with strictly running events as well

NAME: kenail. Ken Nail

STORY: I'm a 53-year old Adult Onset Athlete who began running back in the 1990s and started triathlons 8 years ago. I've raced every triathlon distance through Ironman (IMWI 2012) and ran the Boston Marathon in 2010. I can still remember the many questions I had as a beginner, and want to give the benefit of my experience and advice to new athletes.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, one child in his first year of college.

CURRENT TRAINING: I train on average about 12 hours a week currently, trying to get a good base down for my 2013 campaign.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I'm stepping back in distance this year, but up in frequency. Working to improve my performance in sprint and olympic races, as well as in road racing.

2013 RACES: I'll be racing a variety of 5-10K races in the Spring. Sprint and Olympi-distance races for the summer, all in the state of VA. Won't rule out a late-fall marathon if I feel up to it.

WEIGHTLOSS: Currently running around 165-170. Want to slowly work down to 160 pounds or better.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: As I noted before, I remember how valuable good advice was to me as a new athlete. I'm also planning on attending a USAT Level 1 coaches clinic this Spring, and value the experience of helping people with training questions and issues on an informal basis. If I had one piece of advice for most athletes it would be "Slow down and build your base."

Edited by kenail 2013-01-12 1:53 PM

2013-01-02 6:31 PM
in reply to: #4552236

Subject: RE: kenail's Group - OPEN

Hi Ken - open to a new member?

my info:

Name: Charles Crider - go by CJ typically

Story: I'm 35.  on Dec 18, 2010 I decided I had had enough and went to the gym.  I weighed 290 lbs and could only do 15 minutes on the eliptical.  After extending my workouts, getting bored and adding new elements I found myself 80 lbs lighter and swimming, biking and running for fun.  A friend told me about and challenged me to participate in a sprint tri.  I trained and finished 5th in my AG last year.  I was able to get one more sprint in last year and now I'm hooked and looking to go further and faster.

Family: married w/ two girls - 5 year old and 6 month old

Current Training: I'm currently on week 10 of the tri-newbies (only because it's what I found first) free online 18 week half iron program.  My weekly training right now is at 6500M swim, 135 mile bike, 200 minutes or 20 - 25 miles running and I'm training every day.

2013 Races:  I just moved to Vancouver, WA area, so still trying to figure it all out.  I am signed up for the July 21st Lake Steven's HIM and an Olympic race in Portland.  Hoping to start the season with 2 sprints, add 3 more olympics and 1 more HIM for total of 8 events this year.

Weightloss:  right now I'm at 220 lbs - would really like to drop back down to under 210 and if I could get to the 190's it would truly be amazing.

I'm very coachable and very self-motivated and am really looking forward to sharing and learning as I have very little idea how to achieve my goals.

2013-01-03 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4558831

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Very impressive story! Welcome aboard -- looks like you're putting in some great work now -- I'll be happy to help in any way I can!

As for your goals -- you've got quite a slate of races. It's a good idea to focus your training towards the ones that are most important. For example, if the 1/2-IM is the primary focus for early in the year, you want to ensure that the races prior to it don't interrupt the training flow. You'll often hear people talk about A, B, and C races. The letter indicates how it fits into your training cycle, not how hard you try. So, for an A race you'll have a full taper. A B race might lighten up a little the week of the race, while for a C, you train right through it.

And depending on the type of race, your training will vary. Obviously a longer race, like a 1/2, will have more training in your endurance zones (easier aerobically), but the distances will be greater. Give some thought to what races you really want to excel at!

Ken
2013-01-03 5:01 PM
in reply to: #4560003

Hi Ken - thanks for the reply.

I wondered what the A,B,C was all about.  I'm thinking my first Olympic and both HIM will be A races, while any other Olympics will be A/B and the sprints will be C races.

From a scheduling perspective it looks like this: 4/16 sprint, 5/18 sprint, 6/10 oly, 7/1 oly, 7/21 HIM, 8/4 oly, 9/7 HIM, 9/22 oly.

The races I really care about are the 7/21 HIM and the 9/22 OLY - the rest is for fun and experience.

As for my training.  My thought was to get physically prepared for the HIM as early as possible (targeting Feb) then work on experience and technique while maintaining the endurance up to the 7/21 HIM. 

My concerns right now:

1) I am training with heart rates: swim 120-130 bpm, bike 125-135 bpm, run 140-150 bpm.  I'm having a hard time maintaining a 125 bpm on the spin bike without my legs just wearing out and preventing me from getting the mileage.  Also, on the run, I'm finding my HR increasing above 150 towards the end of my runs though I'm not going faster - I feel fine though, just not sure I should be training that high.

2) What should my training be once I finish the HIM free training program I'm on that ends in Feb?  I was thinking of taking the last two weeks of the current program and just continue to do those or maybe take two weeks of the speed/quality training that's in the program and combine with the two weeks of endurance training to make a 4 week hybrid program and just run that the rest of the year. 

Thoughts....?

2013-01-05 8:08 PM

User image

Shawnee, KS

Hi Ken - you up for another member to your group?

Name: Randy Braley

Story:  I am a photographer and took an assignment last your to photograph the Kansas City 5150.  after that UltaMax Sports asked me to come photgraph the Topeka Tinman.  After witnessing these two events I was hooked.  I decided at that point I would do a tri in 2013.  Getting such a late start to training I opted to not tempt myself by racing last year and instead started to working on each of the disciplines and getting use the the idea of training in 3 different areas.  It started with a Couch to 5k Program along with getting out and riding as well as getting in the pool. I did run several 5k races last year and ended with a 7K race.  My running pace is about a 9:40 average (SLOWWW). I consider myself fairly active with my focus in the past being on rockclimbing and a bit of MTBing.

Current Training:  Next week I will formally begin following a 12-Week Sprint Training Program as outlined in the "Triathlete Magazines Week-by-Week Training Guide"

Races/Goals: My first race will be the Kansas 5150 in May that will be offering a Sprint distance as well.  My intent will be to do the Sprint Distance as an introduction and evaluate after that if I'm up for moving on to Oly distances. It will be my ulitimate goal for 2013 to compete at an Oly distance.  If 2013 ends well then a HIM in 2014 will be the goal.

Family: Married 20 years, w/ two boys 6&9 (both showing an interest in doing kids tri event this year)

Weightloss: Currently between 180 and 185. I would like to be around 175.

I am highly motivated and have the support of my family to take this on.

Thanks, Randy

2013-01-05 9:37 PM

Hi Randy. Sounds like you have the same passion I have recently acquired! I've never done an Olympic either, but I can tell you by training for a half with the free online programs I now have all the confidence in the world to do an Olympic. I'll leave it up to Ken the expert here, but I'm considering training for one distance up from my goals. Ex: I would like to do a half this year so considering training for a full. If your goal is an Olympic then maybe train for a half. I know last year for my first tri ever I trained for a sprint and was absolutely spent afterwards. If I had trained for an Olympic then I would have probably enjoyed the experience even more....what do you think Ken?

2013-01-06 7:45 AM

New user

Garner, Iowa

Hi Ken - Do you have time for another member to your group?

Name: Don Johnson

Story:  I am a construction site manager building wind farms. I got into running after seeing that I was not in the best shape after a MOGA 12 Geocaching event. I seen all the top 3 in all groups were runners. I joined a runners group and completed many 5Ks, 3 halfs, and my goal to complete the Williams Route 66 Marathon became a reality.

During my training I volunteered for the Redman Triathlon. I knew I had would do a sprint tri in 2013. 

Current Training:  Working on strength and core training and swimming laps at the YMCA. Running and cycling has been put on hold while working with my Dr. on a knee injury.

Races/Goals: My first tri race goal will be the Iowa Games tri in July and the 2013 Hy-Vee 5150 US.

Family: Married 26 years, w/ two kids 21 & 24. year)

Weightloss: Currently between 205 and 195. I had RNY 2.5 years ago and was 350 then. I would like to be around 185.

Thanks, Don

www.donj51.com

2013-01-06 7:55 AM
in reply to: #4560823

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Lots of good questions, CJ. Let me digest them for a while and try to get back to you with a concise overview!

charlescriderjr - 2013-01-03 6:01 PM

I wondered what the A,B,C was all about.  I'm thinking my first Olympic and both HIM will be A races, while any other Olympics will be A/B and the sprints will be C races.

From a scheduling perspective it looks like this: 4/16 sprint, 5/18 sprint, 6/10 oly, 7/1 oly, 7/21 HIM, 8/4 oly, 9/7 HIM, 9/22 oly.

The races I really care about are the 7/21 HIM and the 9/22 OLY - the rest is for fun and experience.

As for my training.  My thought was to get physically prepared for the HIM as early as possible (targeting Feb) then work on experience and technique while maintaining the endurance up to the 7/21 HIM. 

My concerns right now:

1) I am training with heart rates: swim 120-130 bpm, bike 125-135 bpm, run 140-150 bpm.  I'm having a hard time maintaining a 125 bpm on the spin bike without my legs just wearing out and preventing me from getting the mileage.  Also, on the run, I'm finding my HR increasing above 150 towards the end of my runs though I'm not going faster - I feel fine though, just not sure I should be training that high.

2) What should my training be once I finish the HIM free training program I'm on that ends in Feb?  I was thinking of taking the last two weeks of the current program and just continue to do those or maybe take two weeks of the speed/quality training that's in the program and combine with the two weeks of endurance training to make a 4 week hybrid program and just run that the rest of the year. 

Thoughts....?

2013-01-06 8:02 AM
in reply to: #4564046

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Randy --

Great to have you on board! Congrats on getting started with your running, and taking a nice progressive approach. Sounds to me like you're on the right track -- let me check out the Training Program you're going to use and give you my input on it. Do you have a link to it, by chance?

Overall, I think you've got some great goals, and I'll be happy to help in any way I can!

Ken

Ranski - 2013-01-05 9:08 PM

Hi Ken - you up for another member to your group?

Name: Randy Braley

Story:  I am a photographer and took an assignment last your to photograph the Kansas City 5150.  after that UltaMax Sports asked me to come photgraph the Topeka Tinman.  After witnessing these two events I was hooked.  I decided at that point I would do a tri in 2013.  Getting such a late start to training I opted to not tempt myself by racing last year and instead started to working on each of the disciplines and getting use the the idea of training in 3 different areas.  It started with a Couch to 5k Program along with getting out and riding as well as getting in the pool. I did run several 5k races last year and ended with a 7K race.  My running pace is about a 9:40 average (SLOWWW). I consider myself fairly active with my focus in the past being on rockclimbing and a bit of MTBing.

Current Training:  Next week I will formally begin following a 12-Week Sprint Training Program as outlined in the "Triathlete Magazines Week-by-Week Training Guide"

Races/Goals: My first race will be the Kansas 5150 in May that will be offering a Sprint distance as well.  My intent will be to do the Sprint Distance as an introduction and evaluate after that if I'm up for moving on to Oly distances. It will be my ulitimate goal for 2013 to compete at an Oly distance.  If 2013 ends well then a HIM in 2014 will be the goal.

Family: Married 20 years, w/ two boys 6&9 (both showing an interest in doing kids tri event this year)

Weightloss: Currently between 180 and 185. I would like to be around 175.

Thanks, Randy

2013-01-06 8:05 AM
in reply to: #4564358

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
CJ --

Do you have a link to your program, or can you send me a summary of the last two week blocks you referred to (both the last two weeks and the speed/quality)?

Ken

kenail - 2013-01-06 8:55 AM

Lots of good questions, CJ. Let me digest them for a while and try to get back to you with a concise overview!

charlescriderjr - 2013-01-03 6:01 PM

My concerns right now:

Thoughts....?

2013-01-06 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4564113

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
charlescriderjr - 2013-01-05 10:37 PM

• ..I know last year for my first tri ever I trained for a sprint and was absolutely spent afterwards. If I had trained for an Olympic then I would have probably enjoyed the experience even more....what do you think Ken?

• I trained for an IM last year, and I was absolutely spent after my last 5K ;-) -- so your endurance base isn't always a good indicator of how you'll feel at the end of a short, high-intensity race. Key is, we'll make sure that Randy gets the training he needs to have a good Olympic experience!

Ken

2013-01-06 8:14 AM
    in reply to: #4564349

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, VA

Don,

We've got the room, great to have you on board! Congrats on your running and weight loss (by the way, what's RNY?). If you don't mind sharing, what's the knee issue you're working through? You've definitely got time to put it together for a July race if that's not an issue. Looking forward to helping out!

Ken

donj51 - 2013-01-06 8:45 AM

Hi Ken - Do you have time for another member to your group?

Name: Don Johnson

Story:  I am a construction site manager building wind farms. I got into running after seeing that I was not in the best shape after a MOGA 12 Geocaching event. I seen all the top 3 in all groups were runners. I joined a runners group and completed many 5Ks, 3 halfs, and my goal to complete the Williams Route 66 Marathon became a reality.

During my training I volunteered for the Redman Triathlon. I knew I had would do a sprint tri in 2013. 

Current Training:  Working on strength and core training and swimming laps at the YMCA. Running and cycling has been put on hold while working with my Dr. on a knee injury.

Races/Goals: My first tri race goal will be the Iowa Games tri in July and the 2013 Hy-Vee 5150 US.

Family: Married 26 years, w/ two kids 21 & 24. year)

Weightloss: Currently between 205 and 195. I had RNY 2.5 years ago and was 350 then. I would like to be around 185.

Thanks, Don

www.donj51.com

2013-01-06 9:47 AM

2013-01-06 4:52 PM
    in reply to: #4564362

User image

Shawnee, KS
    kenail - 2013-01-06 8:02 AM Randy -- Sounds to me like you're on the right track -- let me check out the Training Program you're going to use and give you my input on it. Do you have a link to it, by chance? Overall, I think you've got some great goals, and I'll be happy to help in any way I can! Ken

Ken:

The plan I am working from comes from Matt Fitzgerald’s book “Triathlete Magazine’s Essential Week-by-Week Training Guide”. (http://www.amazon.com/Triathlete-Magazines-Essential-Week-Training/dp/0446696765 This book breaks out various levels of training based on current level of fitness and desired level of effort to train.  I have chosen Level 4 for the 12-week Sprint Program. 
    Here is the Intro Summary for this level:

This plan takes a more aggressive approach to developing your fitness within the parameters of 12 weeks of training, 6 workouts per week, and a modest initial fitness level. It begins with a total of 2,100 yards of swimming, 1 hour and 30 minutes of cycling, and 50 minutes of running in Week 1.  It peaks with 3,450 yards of swimming, 3 hours of cycling and 1 hour and 37 minutes of running in Week 11.

Since the details of the plan aren’t online I can’t provide you a link.  However, if you want details
    regarding certain weeks work outs, let me know and I will type them up.

2013-01-07 7:43 AM

Hi Ken,

If your group is still open, I would like to join. 

Name: Brent Anderson

Family: Married, 2 year old daughter

Story: I have been progressively increasing my training and race participation over the last several years (at a pretty slow pace).  I am looking to take it up a notch this year as I look to complete some longer races.  I am a stronger runner than I am swimmer (just started last March) and biker (same as swimming).  I have completed numerous 5K's, a 10K trail run, a half-marathon, and two sprint tri's last summer.  I loved the tri's and want to do an olympic, and would really like to do a half ironman in Sept in Branson, MO.  Couple of things I battle in my training efforts are IT band problems.  These started last winter (about 1 year ago exactly).  I changed shoes, bought a foam roller, and took some time off.  I was able to finish my tri's but wasn't really in the best running shape.  I also work full time as does my wife, who also loves to workout.  Add in a 2 year old, and time is at a premium.  I think I have about 10 hours per week to train max. I would love input on a good program to follow. 

Current Training: am just picking back up, but running about 90 min/wk, biking 3 hours, swimming 1.5 hours.

Weightloss: I raced at 180 last year, I am at about 190 right now, would like to get to 175ish.

Thanks for your time, would appreciate any help and motivation you can provide. 

Brent

2013-01-07 11:33 AM
    in reply to: #4564368

New user

Garner, Iowa

Ken,

RNY is a gastric bypass operation. 

I had an x-ray and MRI on Friday. Medial pain with instability. Possible meniscus tear. Waiting on an ortho appt.

Today going to work on core strengthing and doing stationary cycle for cardio. 

2013-01-07 2:37 PM
    in reply to: #4566143

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, VA
    Don -

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck on the knee issue. I had a microfracture surgery for torn cartilage in my knee 8 years ago and came back strong, so I'm sure you'll be able to bounce back!

Ken

donj51 - 2013-01-07 12:33 PM

Ken,

RNY is a gastric bypass operation. 

I had an x-ray and MRI on Friday. Medial pain with instability. Possible meniscus tear. Waiting on an ortho appt.

Today going to work on core strengthing and doing stationary cycle for cardio. 

2013-01-07 2:45 PM
    in reply to: #4565560

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, VA
    Brent --

Welcome and glad to have you! I think you've got plenty of time to get ready for a 1/2-IM in September, and your running background is a great foot in the door with triathlon. IT band issues are sometimes aggravated by weak glute muscles. Check out a few of the exercises in this video and see if you can incorporate them into your routine. I think they may help long term.

http://www.ideafit.com/exercise-library/glute-medius-workout-for-ru...

Meanwhile, perhaps step back on your running for a while and put some energy into your bike and swim if possible. We all benefit from working our weaknesses! When you're ready to look at a 1/2-IM program, the one on BT for a first 1/2 IM seems reasonably well-balanced.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans...

Ken

Brenta0628 - 2013-01-07 8:43 AM

Hi Ken,

If your group is still open, I would like to join. 

Name: Brent Anderson

Family: Married, 2 year old daughter

Story: I have been progressively increasing my training and race participation over the last several years (at a pretty slow pace).  I am looking to take it up a notch this year as I look to complete some longer races.  I am a stronger runner than I am swimmer (just started last March) and biker (same as swimming).  I have completed numerous 5K's, a 10K trail run, a half-marathon, and two sprint tri's last summer.  I loved the tri's and want to do an olympic, and would really like to do a half ironman in Sept in Branson, MO.  Couple of things I battle in my training efforts are IT band problems.  These started last winter (about 1 year ago exactly).  I changed shoes, bought a foam roller, and took some time off.  I was able to finish my tri's but wasn't really in the best running shape.  I also work full time as does my wife, who also loves to workout.  Add in a 2 year old, and time is at a premium.  I think I have about 10 hours per week to train max. I would love input on a good program to follow. 

Current Training: am just picking back up, but running about 90 min/wk, biking 3 hours, swimming 1.5 hours.

Weightloss: I raced at 180 last year, I am at about 190 right now, would like to get to 175ish.

Thanks for your time, would appreciate any help and motivation you can provide. 

Brent

2013-01-07 2:49 PM
    in reply to: #4564921

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, VA
    Randy,

Based on the parameters of the plan, I think it looks like a good match with your current level and expectations. Let me know how I can help!

Ken

Ranski - 2013-01-06 5:52 PM

Ken:

The plan I am working from comes from Matt Fitzgerald’s book “Triathlete Magazine’s Essential Week-by-Week Training Guide”. (http://www.amazon.com/Triathlete-Magazines-Essential-Week-Training/dp/0446696765 This book breaks out various levels of training based on current level of fitness and desired level of effort to train.  I have chosen Level 4 for the 12-week Sprint Program. 
    Here is the Intro Summary for this level:

This plan takes a more aggressive approach to developing your fitness within the parameters of 12 weeks of training, 6 workouts per week, and a modest initial fitness level. It begins with a total of 2,100 yards of swimming, 1 hour and 30 minutes of cycling, and 50 minutes of running in Week 1.  It peaks with 3,450 yards of swimming, 3 hours of cycling and 1 hour and 37 minutes of running in Week 11.

Since the details of the plan aren’t online I can’t provide you a link.  However, if you want details
    regarding certain weeks work outs, let me know and I will type them up.

2013-01-07 3:25 PM
    in reply to: #4564441

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, VA
    CJ,

One of the most important principles of successful training in "periodization." Simply put, periodization stipulates that you can't stay at your athletic peak for extended periods of time, so you base your training on reaching the peak for your main races -- and this peak will be higher than you would achieve by just repeating the same training. Think of it simply as a pyramid, with steady endurance work at the base, then increasing the amount of speed and intensity as you build throughout your training. The amount of speed and intensity varies with the experience of the athlete and the demands of the race. For example, I'll do more speed work this year because I'll be racing shorter, higher-intensity races, versus training for an IM last year, which is a very aerobic event. Here's a pretty good intro to the concept:

http://www.trifuel.com/training/triathlon-training/what-does-period...

Let's think about how periodization works into your plans. Trying to finish a 1/2-IM plan in February and then maintain that level of fitness for 5 months goes against the principle of periodization. Even if you avoid injury caused by keeping your volume high, there's probably little chance you'll improve much more during the time between the end of the program and your race.

The experience and base you've built during this training is valuable, though! You've undoubtedly improved your endurance a lot based on the time and miles in the training plan. So my advice? Maybe find a running race in your area, say, a 1/2-marathon, and do that at the end of the 1/2-IM program. It'll be good racing experience. Then take a couple of weeks easy, and build towards your goal 1/2-IM, using those first weeks to incorporate some of the technique work you talked about.

Now as for racing during the build. When you do a shorter race during the buildup to a longer event, just go for it -- go hard and have fun! The experience you get in racing shorter distances will help you down the road. You won't be risking injury unless you're going into the race overtrained or with insufficient rest.

Ken

2013-01-08 3:12 PM

Ken, I looked at the BT 1/2 IM training and also think it looks like it would be good for me.  After reading your last post to CJ, and knowing that my race is in Sept, when should I start my training and how should I train in the mean time?  Thanks.  My tentative race schedule is below.

Jan - 5K

Feb 9th - 8K

April 14th - 1/2 marathon

June 23rd - Triathlon, 1M swim, 19 bike, 4 mile run

Mid July - sprint tri

August has one sprint and an opportunity to do a full

Sept - 1/2 IM hopefully

2013-01-08 6:49 PM
    in reply to: #4566561

New user

Garner, Iowa

Ken,

On a cardio excerise on spinning, what RPM should I be at? I have been at 60 and see on the "plans" around 85-92 rpm.

Kind Regards,

Don

2013-01-09 7:27 AM
    in reply to: #4568603

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, VA
    Brent,

Your schedule looks like it sets up pretty well with doing your 1/2 Marathon, then jumping into the 1/2-IM program, though I'd recommend taking a week or so off after the 1/2-marathon before you jump in. You mentioned an opportunity to do a full(?) in August -- can you clarify that?

Since you've got the 1/2-marathon coming up first, you might consider training more run specifically this spring. These plans below are pretty solid -- Hal Higdon has a smart, focused approach that works for a lot of people. You can also sub out some of the training in his plan with your swimming and biking -- I could give you a little guidance on that if necessary.

http://www.halhigdon.com

Ken

Brenta0628 - 2013-01-08 4:12 PM

Ken, I looked at the BT 1/2 IM training and also think it looks like it would be good for me.  After reading your last post to CJ, and knowing that my race is in Sept, when should I start my training and how should I train in the mean time?  Thanks.  My tentative race schedule is below.

Jan - 5K

Feb 9th - 8K

April 14th - 1/2 marathon

June 23rd - Triathlon, 1M swim, 19 bike, 4 mile run

Mid July - sprint tri

August has one sprint and an opportunity to do a full

Sept - 1/2 IM hopefully

2013-01-09 7:35 AM
    in reply to: #4568909

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, VA
    Don,

Higher RPMS are better, here's why:

First, when you pedal at low RPMs you're stressing the muscles of your legs much more than when you're keeping the RPMs higher. By keeping the gearing lower and spinning faster, you're making the sport more about aerobic endurance than muscular endurance. Therefore there's less chance of cramping and "tight" legs.

Second, keeping your RPMs around 85+ mimics the rhythm of a good running stride. Watch some good runners at your next race and you'll see that most use a quick, short stride that turns over rapidly. Longer, slower strides can actually work against you by putting your feet too far out in front and actually braking your forward progress. Ideally, you'll get off the bike and fall right into a natural running cadence.

One of the key determiners of your triathlon success will be the run off the bike. I've had it cut both ways for me, both coming off the bike strong and picking up an AG podium spot, or falling apart on the run and watching your AG competitors pass you by. And even if you're not worried about competing, it's a lot more pleasant to finish the race on good legs.

Ken

donj51 - 2013-01-08 7:49 PM

Ken,

On a cardio excerise on spinning, what RPM should I be at? I have been at 60 and see on the "plans" around 85-92 rpm.

Kind Regards,

Don

2013-01-09 8:43 AM
    in reply to: #4569478

In August there is two triathalons that I was looking at, one sprint and the other one is a sprint/oly.  I hadn't decided.  I am trying to pick up my miles week by week for the 1/2 marathon, but also cross train to build my bike/swim.  I am building up pretty slowly due to my IT issues last year, that pretty much ruined my race season.  Right now I am comfortably running 3.5-4 miles without pain.  I am stretching daily now and starting more core/hip strength training.  Thanks for the tips.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenail's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 7