of 7

2013-02-21 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4629969

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: RE: kenail's Group - Closed
Advsplash - 2013-02-20 11:42 AM

If it's okay with you, I'll fire over my plan which is in MS Excel for you to take a look at if you don't mind, . 

Sure. My email address is in my profile.

Ken

2013-02-21 10:51 AM
in reply to: #4631530

User image

New user

Great Britain
kenail - 2013-02-22 3:50 AM
Advsplash - 2013-02-20 11:42 AM

If it's okay with you, I'll fire over my plan which is in MS Excel for you to take a look at if you don't mind, . 

Sure. My email address is in my profile. Ken

Sent! 

2013-02-26 8:51 PM
in reply to: #4552236

User image

Shawnee, KS

Sorry I have been absent the last several weeks.  Had a bit of of a training set-back.  It first started with me doing battle with a kidney stone for about a week followed by about a half week of recovery.  Then spent a week catching up on work then everyone in house came down with nasty colds.

However, all is well now and I just realized I am 12-weeks out from my first tri!  So I'm going to reset my training and start on a 12-week program.  My training today consisted of shoveling 12-in of snow from my driveway :-)

Have to say motivation has been low due to poor weather, really hoping a tri clinic at my local running shop this weekend will kick me in the arse.

2013-03-01 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4638364

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
I don't envy you the snow! Let me know if I can help in any way.

Ken
2013-03-01 3:02 PM

User image

Shawnee, KS
Subject: Pull Bouys
When should Pull Bouys be used in a swim workout?
2013-03-04 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4642596

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: RE: Pull Bouys
Pull buoys are useful in helping you learn a good body position in the water, particularly in keeping your hips high (usually achieved by kicking).

I'd suggest using a pull buoy in a couple of circumstances:

1. During warmup or drills, concentrating on good rotation of the body around a center line that goes through your hips. Also, limiting breathing, such as every 3-5-7 or more strokes.

2. As a supplement to boosting your yardage. For example, by adding a 300-500 yard swim with the pull buoy onto the end of the workout.

Here's a good take on pull buoys:

http://www.goswim.tv/entries/3006/freestyle---how-to-use-a-pull-buo...

Ken

Ranski - 2013-03-01 4:02 PM

When should Pull Bouys be used in a swim workout?

2013-03-05 5:04 PM

User image

Shawnee, KS
Subject: Swim Dizziness Follow-up

Well I'm happy to report that I got back in the pool today after three weeks off and didn't experience any dizziness or nausea after.

Total workout covered 950m.  I really focused on body rotation as you mentioned above regarding the pull bouy. Which coincidentally someone suggested I do to help with the dizziness. I kept the intensity low and that really seemed to help.

2013-03-07 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4647721

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: RE: Swim Dizziness Follow-up
Glad to hear it -- keep at it and enjoy!

Ken

Ranski - 2013-03-05 6:04 PM

Well I'm happy to report that I got back in the pool today after three weeks off and didn't experience any dizziness or nausea after.

Total workout covered 950m.  I really focused on body rotation as you mentioned above regarding the pull bouy. Which coincidentally someone suggested I do to help with the dizziness. I kept the intensity low and that really seemed to help.

2013-03-07 8:51 PM

User image

Shawnee, KS
Subject: Spring Break

Ken:

Spring break is one week away and the family and I are heading to Utah for some canyoneering. Needles to say I will not have access to a pool and won't have a bike with me.  I will be gone for 10-days.  Besides getting my runs in, do you have other activities/exercises you might suggest I do to substitute for my bike and swim workouts?

2013-03-08 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4651133

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: RE: Spring Break
Canyoneering sounds like a nice substitute ;-)

Seriously, just get in your runs and don't sweat it. Maybe try to incorporate a little core/strength work and/or stretching each day -- about 15 minutes each morning would be beneficial. Core/strength can be as simple as crunches and pushups, while the stretching can include some static stretches or yoga poses -- particularly ones that stretch and strengthen the hips and glutes.

Ken

Ranski - 2013-03-07 9:51 PM

Ken:

Besides getting my runs in, do you have other activities/exercises you might suggest I do to substitute for my bike and swim workouts?

2013-03-14 9:10 AM

Hi Ken,

Been a couple weeks since I posted, so thought it would be a good time to post an update.  I have two half marathons in April 8 days apart that I am getting ready for now.  On saturday I did some strength training and then ran 8 miles and felt pretty good.  Last year I had IT band problems so that is the longest I have run in over 18 months.  Feeling pretty good, but trying to build back slowly, while also maintaining a base in swim and bike.  One question, can swimming help your running?  I have been taking a day or two that I normally would run and have been swimming to keep my base and give my knees and IT bands time to rest, will that hurt my run training or will the cardio work I do while swimming help me with endurance when I run?  Might be a dumb question, but was curious.  Thanks.

Brent

2013-03-14 9:11 AM

One other question.  My brother-in-law mentioned POSE running?  What is this and are their any pros/cons to this style?

Thanks.

2013-03-14 4:10 PM

User image

Shawnee, KS
Subject: Check out my recent workouts

Ken:

Could you jump out to Garmin Connect and take a look at my last week and half of workouts. I'm very much following a time based program with HR staying in Zone 2 at this point.  Although on my run today it was hard to stay in Z2 and had to walk a couple of stretches to get it to come back down.

Any thoughts on my training will be appreciated.  Also, next week will be Week 3 of a 12-week Sprint Program to give you a sense of where I am at in my training.

2013-03-15 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4659353

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Brenta0628 - 2013-03-14 10:10 AM

Hi Ken,

Been a couple weeks since I posted, so thought it would be a good time to post an update.  I have two half marathons in April 8 days apart that I am getting ready for now.  On saturday I did some strength training and then ran 8 miles and felt pretty good.  Last year I had IT band problems so that is the longest I have run in over 18 months.  Feeling pretty good, but trying to build back slowly, while also maintaining a base in swim and bike.  One question, can swimming help your running?  I have been taking a day or two that I normally would run and have been swimming to keep my base and give my knees and IT bands time to rest, will that hurt my run training or will the cardio work I do while swimming help me with endurance when I run?  Might be a dumb question, but was curious.  Thanks.

Brent

Not a dumb question. Swimming won't help your running -- directly. We should always remember the rule of specificity, that is, to run better you need to run, bike better, bike, etc. Indirectly however, the benefits that can be gained from swimming -- better upper body and core strength, improved cardiovascular function, etc., can improve your overall conditioning, which can help you run better in the long term. But it's not a substitute.

POSE running...

In a nutshell, I agree with the basic premise behind POSE, which I'll summarize as:

Get out over your feet
Avoid heel striking
Incorporate a slight forward lean from the ankles
Quick running cadence

This video shows it pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN1x3Ik1t5Y

The problem with POSE? They want to make a lot of money from you through clinics, DVDs, etc. But the second running example you see on the video is good running technique. Incorporate the keys I listed above and your running efficiency will be much greater.

Ken
2013-03-15 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4660162

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: RE: Check out my recent workouts
Ranski - 2013-03-14 5:10 PM

Ken:

Could you jump out to Garmin Connect and take a look at my last week and half of workouts. I'm very much following a time based program with HR staying in Zone 2 at this point.  Although on my run today it was hard to stay in Z2 and had to walk a couple of stretches to get it to come back down.

Any thoughts on my training will be appreciated.  Also, next week will be Week 3 of a 12-week Sprint Program to give you a sense of where I am at in my training.

Looks good. Stick with your plan, stay in your zones, and keep being consistent!

Ken
2013-03-26 9:30 AM

User image

Shawnee, KS
Subject: Carbohydrates

Ken:

As I move into the middle third of my training, I'm starting to take a look at my diet to make sure I'm eating the way I should to sustain a solid training effort. I just finished Recovery Week and still feel drained most of the time and I suspect it may have to do with my diet. I take multi-vitamin and drink at least 6 glasses of water a day.

I picked up "Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald and have started a food log on Training Peaks. Since carbs are so important in an endurance athletes diet I'm wanting guidance on how many grams of carbs I should be taking in each day.

Here is how my first two-days of my food log look.

Sunday

• Carbs: 982 Cal - 246g
  • Protein: 254 Cal - 63g
  • Fat: 403 Cal - 45 g

Monday

• Carbs: 614 Cals - 154 g
  • Protein: 204 Cals - 51 g
  • Fat 261 Cals - 29 g

As my weekly training stands now:

• Bike: 2.5 hrs
  • Run: 1 hr
  • Swim: 1.5 hrs

These times will obviously increase over the next eight weeks as will the intensity.

So what would you suggest as a good rule of thumb for daily carb intake in grams (and total Calorie intake for that matter)?

I have seen anywhere from 3-6 x lean body mass.

My current stats are as follows:

• Weight: 185.2
  • Percent Body Fat: 24.1

As it stand now I have set a goal weight of 179 and Percent Body Fat goal of 20.3.

2013-03-26 10:28 AM
in reply to: #4674698

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: RE: Carbohydrates
Is that a typical diet (1100- 1700 calories/day)? You need to eat more if that's the case -- if you're only eating that much you're going to run down very quickly. I haven't read Fitzgerald's book -- is this diet based on what he recommends, or are you trying to kill two birds with one stone by limiting calories while you're training?

People are going to disagree on the specifics, but if you get about 60-70% of your calories from carbs, you're doing fine. As you boost your training, it's a wise idea to up protein intake to help rebuild your muscles -- and there's some evidence higher protein diets can help with weight loss too. So say 10-20% of calorie intake in protein.

So -- you should be eating about 500 grams of carbs a day, and around 200-250 grams of protein. At this point your training load isn't very high, so don't feel you've got to stuff in extra carbs every few minutes when you're on the bike or run. Just drink water and eat regular balanced meals. If it's a longer workout (1 hour +) have an energy bar or snack within 30 minutes of finishing.

Ken
2013-03-26 10:41 AM
in reply to: #4674848

User image

Shawnee, KS

kenail - 2013-03-26 10:28 AM Is that a typical diet (1100- 1700 calories/day)? You need to eat more if that's the case -- if you're only eating that much you're going to run down very quickly. I haven't read Fitzgerald's book -- is this diet based on what he recommends, or are you trying to kill two birds with one stone by limiting calories while you're training? Ken

No his book does not recommend this amount of calorie intake - it just happens to be what I ate for the past couple of days. Have to admit I was a bit shocked at how low the calories were. Guess that is why doing a food journal is a good idea :-)

His % regarding Carbs, Protein and Fat are in line with your recommendations as well.

Any quick suggestions on ways to to increase calories/carbs in my diet either through good snacks or additions to main meals and where you think my calorie intake should be?

2013-03-26 11:56 AM
in reply to: #4674883

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Glad to see that you're not trying to starve yourself to death... ;-)

I don't know your height, but based on age and weight, let's say around 2750-3000 calories is fine. Your percentages have been fine over the last two days, so it's more a matter of just eating more (or more regularly?). Try to stick to foods that make sense -- in other words, don't try to add carbs by drinking a lot of Gatorade -- have meals based around something like whole-grain pasta, with some meats and veggies on the side. Baked potatoes are an excellent source too -- microwave one, split it open, and pile some fresh salsa on it, maybe with a dollop of plain yogurt.

I'm not a food "Nazi," but it does make sense to me to try to lean more towards less-processed and lower glycemic carbs as the basis of your diet. So, if you have a breakfast choice between oatmeal with some berries and a little honey versus a bowl of "Chocolate-Frosted Sugar Bombs," I hope your choice is an easy one.

By the way, here's one of my favorite breakfasts: a couple of spoonfuls of plain Greek yogurt, mixed with blueberries, walnuts, and a little bit of honey -- good stuff! If I'm extra hungry, I'll have a slice of whole-grain toast with a drizzle of olive oil to go with it.

Ken
2013-03-26 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4675069

User image

Shawnee, KS

kenail - 2013-03-26 11:56 AM Glad to see that you're not trying to starve yourself to death... ;-) I don't know your height, but based on age and weight, let's say around 2750-3000 calories is fine. Your percentages have been fine over the last two days, so it's more a matter of just eating more (or more regularly?). Try to stick to foods that make sense -- in other words, don't try to add carbs by drinking a lot of Gatorade -- have meals based around something like whole-grain pasta, with some meats and veggies on the side. Baked potatoes are an excellent source too -- microwave one, split it open, and pile some fresh salsa on it, maybe with a dollop of plain yogurt. I'm not a food "Nazi," but it does make sense to me to try to lean more towards less-processed and lower glycemic carbs as the basis of your diet. So, if you have a breakfast choice between oatmeal with some berries and a little honey versus a bowl of "Chocolate-Frosted Sugar Bombs," I hope your choice is an easy one. By the way, here's one of my favorite breakfasts: a couple of spoonfuls of plain Greek yogurt, mixed with blueberries, walnuts, and a little bit of honey -- good stuff! If I'm extra hungry, I'll have a slice of whole-grain toast with a drizzle of olive oil to go with it. Ken

My height is 5'-11"

Thanks Ken!  This is great info and thanks for the recipe's. We are pretty good about the quality of food in our house.  I take a little pride in the fact that the neighbor kids don't like hangin at our house because we don't have soda or a bunch of processed snack food :-

Anyway, I will monitor closely for the next several weeks and report back.

Edited by Ranski 2013-03-26 12:02 PM
2013-04-08 8:58 PM

User image

Shawnee, KS
Subject: Time to check-in

Hey it has been awfully quiet around here - I hope it means everyone is too tired to type b/c training is going well. I think a few of us have races in the next six weeks so lets hear how everyone is doing.

I just completed week six of my twelve week plan and this past week was tough.  Swim workouts included threshold intervals and total workout lengths of 1,800 meters.  Run workouts included a Fartlek (which I have concluded is how my 9-year old runs his 5k's) and Saturday's workout included my longest ride to date (1.5 hours) followed by a 10min transition run.  The wind was blowing a steady 20mph throughout the entire day and needless to say Saturdays workout sucked.  Finished the week with a 40-min run.

I'm really glad I started paying attention to diet and Ken's advice above has really payed off.  I feel I'm recovering much better and my energy level is back up.

So I would love to hear how everyone else is doing, including you Ken.  

2013-04-12 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4692359

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: RE: Time to check-in
Glad your diet is working well for you!

Training going well for me -- putting in about 12-14 hours a week currently. I just did an 8K race last weekend and won my AG, so I'm pretty happy about that. Better yet, the pace (6:46/mile) was a bit faster than my last race, also an 8K. Got a 25K trail race next weekend, then my first tri of the year on May 5th.

But the big highlight for this spring will be after that -- a 10-day backpacking trip on the Appalachian Trail. That'll finish all of the state of Virginia, and about 25% of the entire trail, which stretches over 2180 miles from Georgia to Maine.

Ken
2013-04-13 10:06 PM
in reply to: #4697762

User image

Shawnee, KS

kenail - I just did an 8K race last weekend and won my AG, so I'm pretty happy about that. Better yet, the pace (6:46/mile) was a bit faster than my last race, also an 8K. Got a 25K trail race next weekend, then my first tri of the year on May 5th. But the big highlight for this spring will be after that -- a 10-day backpacking trip on the Appalachian Trail. That'll finish all of the state of Virginia, and about 25% of the entire trail, which stretches over 2180 miles from Georgia to Maine. Ken

Nice job on your run, I noticed on your Garmin Connect you were posting some pretty fast times as of late.  I wish I could join you on the AT - "A Walk in the Woods" is one of my all time favorites. I never laughed so hard when he described his tantrum when he threw his toilet paper away on the trail.

Oh I finally picked up a wet suit - Orca S4 and did a pool swim with it on Friday.  That was a weird experience.  My Avg stroke count went down by 2 stokes.  I was also surprised how warm you get in those things. Several times I had to let some cool water into the suit during my workout. Turns out the fit is perfect.

How many more pool workouts should I do with my wetsuit prior to my first race?

2013-04-18 5:22 AM
in reply to: #4699268

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
The suit provides a lot of flotation, which is why your stroke count was down.

I wouldn't worry about doing anymore pool workouts with the wetsuit. As long as it was feeling comfortable you should be fine. Just be sure to apply Bodyglide on your legs and feet so you can strip it off quickly (practice that!), as well as putting Bodyglide on any spots that might rub, like along the neck, etc.

Yes, training's going pretty well -- hope I can translate it into good race results!

Ken
2013-04-22 5:02 PM

User image

Shawnee, KS
Subject: Running PR

Ken:

Ran a 5K this past weekend to serve as a benchmark to where I am on my training. I'm happy to report that I set PR with a time of 29:24 and magically I reverse split every lap. However looking at the race profile it certainly aided in the reverse splits. I finished with the tank nearly on empty. Coincidentally Training Peaks sent me an email indicating my LT needs to be bumped up.

• Lap 1: 9:49
  • Lap 2: 9:29
  • Lap 3: 9:01

I placed 7th out of 28 in my age group (M40-49).

I'm four weeks out from the my race and am trying not to get to freaked out mentally :-)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenail's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 7