Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-01-04 8:01 PM
in reply to: #4552503

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: RE: Alcohol 2013

Sober 20 years. Dang, that went by fast! And I survived several New Year's Eves, parties, business trips, weddings - including my own, deaths, becoming a parent, and quitting smoking

The one thing that really that flabbergasted me was NOT everyone drank and partied like I (or my bar cronies for that matter) did! Some people could actually go out and order a drink and NOT drink more than 1/2 of it!! And some don't even order alcohol!! For me, it was all about the drink...it took priority over EVERYTHING and there just never seemed to be enough. 

2013-01-04 8:57 PM
in reply to: #4562674

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
TriRSquared - 2013-01-04 1:59 PM
lisac957 - 2013-01-04 2:05 PM
jford2309 - 2013-01-04 11:17 AM

10 years sober

Nothing good has ever happened to me while I was drinking. To this day, i do not see why people think it is so important to drink a beer!

I know this thread is in the spirit of quitting/limiting alcohol. But it IS possible for people to enjoy a drink or two for a variety of reasons that do not involve bad things happening. Everyone is different, reacts differently. Congrats on your 10 years.

Agreed.  I enjoy alcohol.  We all know it's not good for you in excess but neither is watching too much TV or eating fatty foods or lots of other things.  And some people can handle the amount they drink better than others.  I applaud those who realize they maybe they cannot and do something about it.

But to say you don't understand why people would want to drink a beer?  Ever had a good Belgium beer? 

Part of the reason I got into cycling is my club meets at the pub after a hard ride.  The social aspect of having a few beers is what makes us all so close.  We just burned off 3-5,000 calories.  I think we can tack a few 100 back on.

If they made non-alcoholic beer that tasted as good as the beers I typically drink, I would absolutely drink it. They most definitely do not.

While I don't mind the buzz, the taste is the reason I drink beer.

2013-01-04 10:03 PM
in reply to: #4562318

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
lisac957 - 2013-01-04 1:05 PM

10 years sober

Nothing good has ever happened to me while I was drinking. To this day, i do not see why people think it is so important to drink a beer!

I know this thread is in the spirit of quitting/limiting alcohol. But it IS possible for people to enjoy a drink or two for a variety of reasons that do not involve bad things happening. Everyone is different, reacts differently. Congrats on your 10 years.

Let me clearify: I do not understand why people find it so important to go out and get drunk! I could care less if someone has a beer with dinner or a glass of wine. I can't handle just one, but that is me.

What I do not get is why people find it so important to go ut and get drunk smashed or can;t wait for the weekend to throw back a few...

2013-01-04 10:05 PM
in reply to: #4562674

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
TriRSquared - 2013-01-04 3:59 PM
lisac957 - 2013-01-04 2:05 PM

10 years sober

Agreed.  I enjoy alcohol.  We all know it's not good for you in excess but neither is watching too much TV or eating fatty foods or lots of other things.  And some people can handle the amount they drink better than others.  I applaud those who realize they maybe they cannot and do something about it.

But to say you don't understand why people would want to drink a beer?  Ever had a good Belgium beer? 

Nope, never drank beer in the first place, hated it!

2013-01-05 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4563039

User image

Pro
jford2309 - 2013-01-04 11:03 PM

10 years sober

Let me clearify: I do not understand why people find it so important to go out and get drunk! I could care less if someone has a beer with dinner or a glass of wine. I can't handle just one, but that is me.

What I do not get is why people find it so important to go ut and get drunk smashed or can;t wait for the weekend to throw back a few...

Because for some there is a world of difference between social drinking and alcoholism. The latter has nothing to do with being social or even enjoying alcohol. It's an addiction. Count yourself very blessed that you've never had to deal with addiction, or support family members dealing with it.

2013-01-05 10:39 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
jford2309 - 2013-01-04 10:03 PM

10 years sober

Aaah well you said "A beer" - not 20
I think it starts out as a youth/curiosity/immature thing (like a lot of things do) and then like any addiction it becomes harder and harder to kick the habit or worse, develops into something life altering. I'm no expert of course, just my general observations.

But I hear you - drinking to the point of drunk and hangovers are head-scratchers for me too. 

2013-01-05 11:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Puyallup, WA
Alcoholism is a genetic physiological predisposition. Not unlike the predisposition to hypertension, thyroid disease, diabetes, etc. It's something an alcoholic is born with and will die with. They (we) did not ask for it, do not want it, wish it would go away. It is not possible to turn an alcoholic into a "normal" drinker any more than it's possible to turn a "normal" drinker into an alcoholic. Studies support this. But like any other predisposition we have to deal with it effectively or deal with the consequences.
2013-01-05 6:21 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

10 years sober

That's very different.  I understand that more..

2013-01-06 4:43 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles

I can't do dry. It just does not work for me. I like fine wine too much and I honestly do not see how quitting it would make me any faster. It'd sure make me crankier or less relaxed.

I have a glass a wine every night. Every now and then I'll have 2. I avoid it the night before a long ride or a run. Before a race I either don't drink or have a bottle of Miller Light.

I guess the point is to use moderation.

2013-01-07 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4563453

User image

Elite
Minnetonka

Oldred - 2013-01-05 11:12 AM Alcoholism is a genetic physiological predisposition. Not unlike the predisposition to hypertension, thyroid disease, diabetes, etc. It's something an alcoholic is born with and will die with. They (we) did not ask for it, do not want it, wish it would go away. It is not possible to turn an alcoholic into a "normal" drinker any more than it's possible to turn a "normal" drinker into an alcoholic. Studies support this. But like any other predisposition we have to deal with it effectively or deal with the consequences.

Well siad..

2013-01-07 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4564907

That's cool...good thing you're not an alcoholic.  For most, a daily glass is fine, but not so for an alcoholic.  I like sugary sweets, so it's a good thing I'm not a diabetic.

It's all in recognizing wether or not you have the condition and (if you do) managing it accordingly.

alex_korr - 2013-01-06 4:43 PM

I can't do dry. It just does not work for me. I like fine wine too much and I honestly do not see how quitting it would make me any faster. It'd sure make me crankier or less relaxed.

I have a glass a wine every night. Every now and then I'll have 2. I avoid it the night before a long ride or a run. Before a race I either don't drink or have a bottle of Miller Light.

I guess the point is to use moderation.

2013-01-07 12:16 PM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
From my limited experience (n = 1), I learned this the hard way: if you start thinking you might have a drinking problem, you already do.

Yes, there might be exceptions, but why risk it? Booze just isn't worth the hassle. The reason you're starting to question yourself is maybe you've noticed bad effects in your life -- getting to work late and with a hangover, realizing you drove home when you shouldn't have, looking at the clock to see how soon you can crack open that first beer, forgetting to do something because you agreed to do it when you were drunk (and then lost all memory of it), etc.

I've been sober about 9 years now. I don't actually know the true number because I never wrote it down in my journal, and as time passed it became a complete non-issue for me. I maybe get cravings once or twice a year, but honestly that's about it. And I am so much happier and healthier now that I quit.

But whatever your choice, I wish you the best of luck!
2013-01-07 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4566245

Master
, California

Tripolar - 2013-01-07 10:16 AM From my limited experience (n = 1), I learned this the hard way: if you start thinking you might have a drinking problem, you already do.

This is why I'd say to the OP, take the steps to quit it altogether.  If you're capable of giving it up for a full year you're capable of giving it up for good.  Don't dangle the carrot in front of yourself.

2013-01-07 12:46 PM

Oklahoma City, OK
This thread has touched on questions about alcohol I've often wondered and never fully understood. I was not raised around alcohol, and only experimented a little as a teen. Never really developed the taste for it in any form (beer tasted funny, wine didn't taste like the Welch's grape juice I was expecting, and liquor was just plain painful going down!). I'm sure if I would've stayed with it long enough I would've gotten used to them and maybe even developed a taste for them, but just didn't.

Which brings me to the question, what is 'social drinking'? I'm a very social person, go to parties and hang with friends. I drink soda, coffee, tee, fruit juice, etc. This is no big deal if the people I'm with don't drink, but is looked at differently when with people who do. There's almost an accusatory tone when they ask, "why aren't you drinking?". I show them my soda, or whatever, and say, "I AM drinking!" but I know they're talking about alcohol. What is it about drinking alcohol that's different? I have just as good a time, without the need to be "loosened up/relaxed, etc". What is this dependence on having to have alcohol in order to enjoy oneself?

I have a friend who was planning her wedding. She doesn't drink, but was talking about needing to provide a bar at the reception. I asked why not just serve punch or soda? She said that her drinking friends would be offended if there wasn't alcohol. Is this really true?

If someone invites me out to coffee, and I order tea, that doesn't seem to be a problem. But if someone invites me out for 'drinks', and I order soda, is that somehow different?

Is a party not a party without alcohol? If not, then it makes me wonder if 'social drinking' isn't more than what it appears to be. If there must be alcohol in order to have a good time or 'relax', isn't that an indication of some degree of dependence?

Sorry this is so long, but the more I typed the more new questions came to mind!
2013-01-07 12:51 PM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
I suspect that people feel a little bit defensive or threatened when they encounter someone who chooses not to drink. Since the vast majority of people *do* drink, the few of us who don't kind of stick out like a sore thumb. It's normal for them to wonder why, and subconsciously at least, wonder about their own relationship to booze.
2013-01-07 2:05 PM

Veteran

Hi

Thanks for your comments 

I guess for me i drink most days not allways to get pissed but question what 1 year would be booze free. last year i set a goal to complete my 1st Ironman i gave up the booze but got knee trouble and pulled out and got back on the juice. feeling somewhat unfit and `slow` i have considered taking a complete year off to heal the body and look at 2014 for a IM 

I guess i like to challenge myself - crazy maybe 

2013-01-07 2:18 PM
in reply to: #4563305

User image

Elite
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-01-05 8:13 AM

10 years sober

Because for some there is a world of difference between social drinking and alcoholism. The latter has nothing to do with being social or even enjoying alcohol. It's an addiction. Count yourself very blessed that you've never had to deal with addiction, or support family members dealing with it.

And there is mountains of information showing that "normal" people and alcoholics are very different in physiology and processing of alcohol. I never understood the point of going out and paying $4 for a ONE glass of hop water. The only thing one beer is good for, is adding it to 10. If alcohol did the same thing to you guys as it did to me... you would understand that. Don't ever confuse those that can walk away from it with those that can't. Two totally different people and it has nothing to do with reason.

Edited by powerman 2013-01-07 2:32 PM
2013-01-07 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Puyallup, WA
Regarding "social drinking" I'll focus on myself and not try to explain why someone would be put out if I didn't drink around them. They will have to figure out for themselves what their problem with it is. Fortunately my friends don't see any relevance in it. Using the comparisons I used earlier, if someone had diabetes and ordered an appropriate meal at a restarant what would it say of the critic who is munching down a high sugar dessert? Or if someone is prone to coronary disease and is exercising and fit, what would it say of a critic who is a cheeseburger away from the "big one". Again, my friends don't see it as relevant except to recognize I dealt with my issue appropriately AND I do not take a self righteous attitude because they choose to, and can, drink moderately.
2013-01-07 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4566316

Regular

Sooner Tri Guy - 2013-01-07 12:46 PM This thread has touched on questions about alcohol I've often wondered and never fully understood. I was not raised around alcohol, and only experimented a little as a teen. Never really developed the taste for it in any form (beer tasted funny, wine didn't taste like the Welch's grape juice I was expecting, and liquor was just plain painful going down!). I'm sure if I would've stayed with it long enough I would've gotten used to them and maybe even developed a taste for them, but just didn't. Which brings me to the question, what is 'social drinking'? I'm a very social person, go to parties and hang with friends. I drink soda, coffee, tee, fruit juice, etc. This is no big deal if the people I'm with don't drink, but is looked at differently when with people who do. There's almost an accusatory tone when they ask, "why aren't you drinking?". I show them my soda, or whatever, and say, "I AM drinking!" but I know they're talking about alcohol. What is it about drinking alcohol that's different? I have just as good a time, without the need to be "loosened up/relaxed, etc". What is this dependence on having to have alcohol in order to enjoy oneself? I have a friend who was planning her wedding. She doesn't drink, but was talking about needing to provide a bar at the reception. I asked why not just serve punch or soda? She said that her drinking friends would be offended if there wasn't alcohol. Is this really true? If someone invites me out to coffee, and I order tea, that doesn't seem to be a problem. But if someone invites me out for 'drinks', and I order soda, is that somehow different? Is a party not a party without alcohol? If not, then it makes me wonder if 'social drinking' isn't more than what it appears to be. If there must be alcohol in order to have a good time or 'relax', isn't that an indication of some degree of dependence? Sorry this is so long, but the more I typed the more new questions came to mind!

You raise some VERY good questions.  IMO there are two types of alcoholics. Those that are physically addicted to alcohol. Then there are people who are mentally/emotional addicted.  They have to drink at a party or gathering to feel comfortable or they need a drink to relax or unwind.  I know a lot of folks who fall into the latter catagory.

2013-01-07 5:48 PM
in reply to: #4566883

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
riltri - 2013-01-07 5:26 PM

Sooner Tri Guy - 2013-01-07 12:46 PM This thread has touched on questions about alcohol I've often wondered and never fully understood. I was not raised around alcohol, and only experimented a little as a teen. Never really developed the taste for it in any form (beer tasted funny, wine didn't taste like the Welch's grape juice I was expecting, and liquor was just plain painful going down!). I'm sure if I would've stayed with it long enough I would've gotten used to them and maybe even developed a taste for them, but just didn't. Which brings me to the question, what is 'social drinking'? I'm a very social person, go to parties and hang with friends. I drink soda, coffee, tee, fruit juice, etc. This is no big deal if the people I'm with don't drink, but is looked at differently when with people who do. There's almost an accusatory tone when they ask, "why aren't you drinking?". I show them my soda, or whatever, and say, "I AM drinking!" but I know they're talking about alcohol. What is it about drinking alcohol that's different? I have just as good a time, without the need to be "loosened up/relaxed, etc". What is this dependence on having to have alcohol in order to enjoy oneself? I have a friend who was planning her wedding. She doesn't drink, but was talking about needing to provide a bar at the reception. I asked why not just serve punch or soda? She said that her drinking friends would be offended if there wasn't alcohol. Is this really true? If someone invites me out to coffee, and I order tea, that doesn't seem to be a problem. But if someone invites me out for 'drinks', and I order soda, is that somehow different? Is a party not a party without alcohol? If not, then it makes me wonder if 'social drinking' isn't more than what it appears to be. If there must be alcohol in order to have a good time or 'relax', isn't that an indication of some degree of dependence? Sorry this is so long, but the more I typed the more new questions came to mind!

You raise some VERY good questions.  IMO there are two types of alcoholics. Those that are physically addicted to alcohol. Then there are people who are mentally/emotional addicted.  They have to drink at a party or gathering to feel comfortable or they need a drink to relax or unwind.  I know a lot of folks who fall into the latter catagory.

Good points all around.
I think, though, if you accept an invitation to go out for "drinks" and abstain- it's a little like accepting a dinner invitation and not ordering food or eating. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just probably not what the inviter expected. Throws people off, and they don't know how to react.

2013-01-07 6:12 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
riltri - 2013-01-07 6:26 PM

They ALL fall into the latter category, bar none. Some are just fortunate enough to get sober before the potential for physical addiction mandates a true detox. I was one of the fortunates. Never had DT's or halucinations, never had to be spoon fed Karo syrup & orange juice.... but there is no doubt that I'm an alcoholic.

2013-01-07 8:45 PM

User image

Elite
riltri - 2013-01-07 4:26 PM

There is no such thing as "emotionally" addicted. If you are socially uncomfortable and can't be in your own skin around others without drinking... ya, there's a problem. That does not at all mean that social drinkers are alcoholics. The vast VAST majority of drinkers in this country are responsible casual drinkers that can take it or leave it and have no problem having a couple of drinks with friends. But if you HAVE to have a drink for what ever reason... that's a problem. May be a big one, may be a small one, but it isn't an emotional one. At least that is my experience.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Alcohol 2013 Rss Feed  

of 2