2012-12-29 11:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Subject: JAPEWANG's GROUP - CLOSED

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now

GROUP FOCUS: General encouragement for beginners

NAME: japewang/Jeremy

STORY: I started multisport 6 years ago at the behest of a great friend to "get my act together".  I lost 50 lbs, changed my diet, and have been enjoying triathlon and endurance events ever since.  I raced my first Ironman last year at IMCDA and still am searching for goals for 2013.  I do know that I want to give back to beginners and those just getting started in tri.  Whether its for weight loss, general health, or a new activity; I love the sport and want to encourage and help rookies any way that I can.  I'm far from an expert, but will give everything that I do know as well as be a great source of HONEST encouragement.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 2 year old (soon to be 3) and a 7 year old beagle.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently unstructured 5 days a week and will begin full plan January for 2013.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Ironman CDA, Bassman HIM, Steelman Triathlon, a DNS at Philly Marathon.

2013 RACES:  No races yet.  Goals for 2013 are frequency and consistency and to race anything from a 5k to IM at least once a month in 2013.

WEIGHTLOSS: Was 215 when i finished grad school.  Down to 158 when racing IMCDA.  I like to walk around in the high 160s and need to lose some "winter weight".

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: Simple.  I am open and honest and have a good sense of humor.  I believe in honest encouragement.  I frequently check BT several times a week (ok several times a day) and love the sense of community.

Edited by japewang 2013-01-17 2:20 PM

2013-01-08 4:16 PM
in reply to: #4552962

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA
Subject: RE: JAPEWANG's GROUP - OPEN

Hi Jeremy, I see no beginners have jumped into your group yet so I’ll see if I can break the ice by joining up. I’m not a complete beginner since I have a few sprint tri’s under my belt, but I know there is always more to learn. I’ll be happy to contribute what I’ve learned these past two years to the group discussion also.

NAME: John

STORY:
  With the exception of a short time during grade school I had never been a runner. In January 2011 my wife and I started a couch to 5k plan together. We eventually picked a 5k race in May and a super sprint tri in September to shoot for. We did both events together at her pace and we had a blast. I followed that up in 2012 with a bunch of local fun runs and 4 sprint tri’s. My run miles dropped off a bit after August when I started training in Kung Fu. I ran about 350 total miles last year and I’d like to top 500 miles this year while increasing swim and bike fitness also in preparation for a longer distance race or two.

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married 15 years (on May 2nd) to my wonderful wife and mother of my 2 daughters (8 and 11).  I also have an adult son (21).

JOB:  I'm an Engineering Technician. I draw plans for highways, roads, bridges, and retaining walls among other things.

CURRENT TRAINING: 
Run a couple days a week; swim once a week, bike currently sitting unused on the trainer. Kung Fu classes 2 nights a week for 1.5 hours. I’m working on a new training plan for this year’s races.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: I ran in 8 running races (4 to 5 miles each) on Saturday mornings January through March 3 as part of a winter points series. I’m not fast enough to be competitive so they were more like training runs with 80+ other people for me. I ran a 12k race (my longest run to date) March 18th .  I also raced in 4 sprints last year.

2012 RACES:  I’ve just started the first of a winter fun run series this past Saturday.  I’d like to move up and do an Olympic tri or two this year, as well as a couple of sprints. I’d also like to finish a half marathon this year. It sounds like a mud run might be in my future this year too.

WEIGHT LOSS: I started this journey 2 years ago at about 202. I was down to about 181 for most of my tri’s this past year, but I’m back up to about 189 now. Hoping to get that back down around the 180 mark again.

2013-01-08 6:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Thanks John!  Glad to have you aboard!
2013-01-09 10:17 AM

User image

Expert
Alabama

Hi  Jeremy and John.  I'm in the same boat as John.  I have been doing this for 3 years, so maybe I can contribute to the group.

NAME: Jason

Story: I've got an athletic background in soccer, football & wrestling.  Never been much of an endurance/running person.  I started running a couple of 5k's a year about 5-6 years ago, then decided I was getting board with running my 2-3 miles and decided to step it up, so I decided to get into Triathlon.  My first race was a mini-tri on 9/19/09.  Since then I have completed a few sprints, a few Olympics and a HIM in September 2011.  Last year, I backed off training a little and just completed two sprint triathlons, in addition to running a couple of small running races.  Did complete a 1/2 Marathon December 3 in Memphis, trying to get back on track for 2013.

Family Status: 
Married and 2 wonderful boys (7 and 6)

CURRENT TRAINING:

LAST YEAR'S RACES: I ran 2 Half Marathons and 2 sprint tri. The most recent HM was December 3.

2013 RACES:  I have the New Orleans Half Marathon Feb 24, and the Nashville Half in April.  I'm thinking about an early season HIM, or Memphis in May OLY.  I will probably end  the season with an OLY in August and maybe do a sprint or two in between.

WEIGHT LOSS: I'm around 189 right now.  When I started tri's in 2009, I was around 210-215.  Triathlon has helped me keep most of it off.  In September 2011, I was around 175, which is where I'd like to get back too.

2013-01-09 5:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Welcome to the group, Jason.

I just checked my race time from this past weekend’s Frosty Fun Run series and I ran an 8:56 pace. Last year I ran it at an 8:14 pace, so I’ve clearly slipped in my run conditioning. I just got over a rib injury that kept me from running much in December, so I’m hoping to get back to my previous run pace over the next month or so.

I’m off to take a nice easy 2 mile run in the rain. I hope everyone’s training is going well.

2013-01-10 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4570802

User image

Expert
Alabama
That's a pretty respectable pace, considering you are just coming back from a rib injury.

I'm still recovering from the holiday season.  I'm back up and running Saturday, as it's time to get back in shape for the New Orleans Half Marathon, and really start focusing on improving my run.  I was a complete slack in 2012, so I have to get back on track for 2013.

I've got to start working in some trainer sessions during the week.

2013-01-11 5:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Hey guys.  Glad to hear that the training is going well and we're all getting after it.  I've been travelling for work this week, so I've been running mostly.  Really looking forward to being home and having a chance to get on my trainer this weekend.
2013-01-11 5:40 PM

Hello. I Would love to learn some tips of the trade! And help for keeping me on track! After a successful Sprint, I'm signed up for an Olympic at the end of March. Training has been great- but I am hoping I'm increasing my distances enough? And cross training enough?  10 weeks will be here soon. Would love the input, especially for training in the winter.

Also nutrition help would be great. I would love to go down 15lbs to perform better- but I can't find an accurate level of calorie intake vs outtake. I'm always hungry- but the scale is not budging?? Or I go to start working out and can't finish because I'm too weak. Frustrating!

Edited by emins919 2013-01-11 5:44 PM
2013-01-13 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Welcome!  Post a bio! 

How's everyone's weekend going?  Get good training in?  I did a new FTP test on my trainer on Friday and I ran yesterday.  Going to have another trainer session tonight.

2013-01-14 12:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Hi everyone, I had a great race yesterday at the second Frosty Fun Run of the season. 4 miles in 34:15. That's only 4 seconds slower than my time from last year. I worked pretty hard for it, but I'm feeling pretty good about getting back to where I'd like to be running wise. Now I just have to get on the bike and hit the pool more consistently.

2013-01-14 4:50 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
Although slow, I Got in a nice long run Saturday. Hoping to start off the week good and get more consistent with my training this week. Start getting in some biking this week.

2013-01-14 7:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Great job guys!  Good running

I got my first double of the season in today.  1750 yds in the pool with my new waterproof ipod and a 4.5ish mile run after work.

2013-01-14 8:48 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
Is it too late to join? I somehow missed he memo when the training groups started. I can give more info tomorrow.. Basics. 40y/o mother of one, long time runner, tri for 3-4 years, physical therapist so I can help with some injury questions! Thanks,PaulaPs I am horrible about logging my data. But it's one of my new year resolutions
2013-01-14 9:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Paula,
Welcome! We still have space. Please post a bio when you can!
2013-01-15 7:08 AM

User image

Harare

Hi Jeremy and everyone else, Is the group still open? If so I'd love to join. Here's my bio:

Name: Dan

Story: I come from a running background, although I've done a few tris over the years. I was training last year for Two Oceans Ultra Marathon in South Africa and developed patellar tendonitis, so I had to drop out and decided to focus on events where I could drop my running mileage significantly to give my knees a break. My goal this year is to take triathlon much more seriously and train for Eagleman 70.3 this June (my first HIM).  My wife is in the foreign service and I live in Zimbabwe, which presents a range of challenges and fun opportunities. There is a fairly active tri community here, but all the lakes are full of crocodiles so the races are only in pools. And there aren't any indoor pools, so swim practice often gets cancelled due to rain. But the temperature is perfect and the scenery is fantastic...I always want to be doing something active and outdoors, which is a big plus.

Family Status: Married with a 2 year old son and another baby due in June (2 weeks after my HIM)

Current Training: Mostly unstructured, focusing on improving my swimming, but starting 20 week BT Beginner HIM program this weekend.

Last years races: Harare Marathon in Feb. 2012, Bvumba HM in Oct., Troutbeck Sprint Tri Nov.

This Years Races: Eagleman HIM, plus some sprints, some 10k's, maybe a mountain bike race or two?

Thanks!!! Look forward to hearing about everyone's training!

2013-01-15 9:07 AM

Regular
Hi Jeremy my name is Joe and I'd like to join your group! I'm at work, I can post a bio later. ..

2013-01-15 1:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Now this group is starting to come to life!

Welcome to the group Paula, Dan, and Joe!

2013-01-15 3:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Welcome Joe!  Looks like we're waiting on people's bios....

Post your goals and what you're trying to accomplish over these next couple of months too!  That way the group can encourage as best as possible and even *ahem* hold each other accountable

2013-01-15 7:42 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

NAME: Paula/ Roadtoad

STORY: I started running in jr high and ran through college.  I took a little hiatus and started back up about 10 years ago. in 2008  I volunteered at a waterstop for the inaugeral Beach to Battleship ironman and was amazed by the athletes and had to see what it was all about.  A new triathlon store opened intown and offered a training group for newbies.  I have been hooked eversince.  I had some success in the novice division my first year which really helped to motivate me.  I am now in the 40-44 group and those women are BEASTS! 

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a great. supportive guy  a nearly 3 year old daugher, two dogs and two cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: I run 3 days a week usually ( knees dont handle much more).  I just started back at the pool and trying to throw a few weight sessions in when I can.  I ride when its nice out and really should get the trainer set up but I would rather stick a needle in my eye- I hate not going anywhere!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Charleston marathon (my first), numerous 5k, 10k, a few sprints and Olys, Beach2battleship HIM ( my first) and a half marathon.  2012 was the year of distance.

2013 RACES:  Myrtle Beach half marathon- feb, Azalea sprint, march, numerous 5-10 K, and possible Rev 3 Wiliamsburg oly.  I am undecide about the B2B half again.  I want to PR every distance this year - just not sure I want to commit my whole summer to training again.  (not sure hubby wants to be a single dad again- especially when there is surf!)  I try to race at least once a month to keep me motivated.  Its getting a little pricey though!

WEIGHTLOSS: I was dropping some weight in 2009 when I first started tri, and getting faster. Then i got pregnant and fat.  I participated in a Biggest Loser like challenge at work 2011 and actually won by dropping nearly 25pounds, i managed to drop 10 more after is was over.  I still have some more to go- especially after the holidays.  I would love to drop 10 more and be able to maintain it.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD GROUP MEMBER:  I am a physical therapist and can help with some injury questions.  I have a few years under my belt and am very enthusiatic about helping people achieve goals.  This site is the best for motivation and a sense of community.  I am working on uploading my data.  Garmin is acting up right now- oh i am a slave to my garmin- would be lost without it!

2013-01-15 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4580257

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Awesome racing this year Paula!  You hit some real milestones with a first mary and first HIM.  Congrats!  Sounds like our kids are about the same age.  My son will be 3 in March!
2013-01-15 9:32 PM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL

NAME: Jim

STORY:  I'm a Firefighter in Ocala, FL.  I started reaching 40 and realized that I wasn't as fast or as fit as I was some time ago.  I was at a crossroads.  Did I continue to slide, or get into some sort of shape?  I chose to get back into the game so to speak.  My Mom encouraged me to run a marathon so I trained up for that.  I met a great group of people through that and they led me to Tri, which I very much enjoy.  This will be my second season racing Triathlon. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 3 kids 5,7,8 (girl, boy, boy), 2 cats

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently unstructured getting back into the swing of things for my first race in March.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2012?  2012 Walt Disney World Goofy Challenge, 4 sprints, one OLY

2013 RACES: Walt Disney World Marathon on Jan 13 (done!).  Up to 5 OLY races and I'm on the fence for a HIM in October.  Probably a marathon in Nov.

2013GOALS: I'm pretty much a MOP guy and I'm ok with that.  I want to get better at the longer races.  But I also understand that I'm not going to spend the time and money to put myself on the podium regularly.  I really enjoyed the OLY last year and want to race more in that distance.  I'm learning to balance the training schedule and work/family trying to keep it all in the right perspective.  I'd really like to see what a 70.3 is like, but I have to keep it all balanced.

Ya got room?

2013-01-16 7:25 AM

I'll give it a go.

STORY: I'm 52 and live in NJ. I did a sprint tri late last year. I'm the classic midlife crisis athlete. Hit my 40s and realized I'm too loyal to cheat and too cheap to buy a Porsche. So I taught myself to swim at 43 and got into better shape 3-4 years later through spin classes.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two daughters, 15 and 11 (12 in a week).

CURRENT TRAINING: Master's swim twice a week and stationary bike 2-3 times a week. I'm stumbling back into shape after I got a mild plantar fasciitis from walking too fast without proper shoes on my Manhattan commute. Hope to run regularly again in a week or so, but I've been saying that for 2-3 weeks now.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I'll focus on sprints. Too ADD for longer races. Maybe one in April, probably the Belmar, NJ, sprint in early August and an Oct. 6 race in Point Pleasant, NJ.

2013-01-16 8:45 AM

Name- JoshStory- I've been an athlete all my life and this have always had the competitive drive. Since graduating college I've mostly been weight training but solely weight training has lost it's luster. Recently, I've been more interested in functional training and have wanted to compete in "something." A buddy of mine turned me on to the idea of doing triathlons with him- he offers that they are addicting. Beyond running middle distance track throughout high school, competition wise I have little to show. I've done a Warrior Dash but that's about it. Very new to this and excited at the training possibilities. Just bought a tri bike and pool membership, so I'm ready to dive in, so to speak.Family- Married 3 years with a ONE WEEK old at home! and a very spoiled American Bulldog.Current training- weights 3 times/ week, pool twice a week, with some cardio in there. Hopefully will get bike and trainer soon to start that.2012 races- none2013 races- Two sprints, one Olympic tri. In June and July respectively.Weightloss- hoping to maintain at 6'1, 195 lbs, or lose 10 of so lbs. but this isn't a goal by any means.Thanks!
2013-01-16 8:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Welcome everyone!  Sounds like we have a really diverse group shaping up with lots of different backgrounds and goals.  Should be a fun group to train with over the course of the spring!
2013-01-16 1:42 PM

New user

Boulder, Colorado

Hello to all!! I want in!!!!!

NAME: Travis

STORY:
 39 yrd old. Always been active. Played various varisty sports and started this journey while racing mountain bikes with friends in college. Well in 2005, I picked up road cycling. Lost some weight and really found a passion for staying healthy. Started running in 2009 (off and on) and really like it. Just relocated to Seattle from Florida (crazy, I know) and found this area to be so active for multisport athletes. This last thanksgiving (2012) while watching the IM championships, I decided I wanted to be an IRONMAN! So I signed up for the Lake Stevens 70.3!!!! Here I am!

FAMILY STATUS: Divorced with 12 yr old Daughter.

JOB:  Sales! Hate it and currently job searching!

CURRENT TRAINING: Swim 3-4x week, Bike 1-2x week, Run 3-4x week

LAST YEAR'S RACES: None.

WEIGHT LOSS: Last year Jan 2012 I weighed 182. This morning 165!

Edited by TMG73 2013-01-17 9:33 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JAPEWANG's GROUP - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 9