BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2013-04-19 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4553673

User image

Middle Tennessee
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Glad a crazy week at work is over. Careful what you wish for; my patient load went through the roof this week. I love the extra money but whew the hours it eats up! Watching CNN and am so thankful the second suspect was taken alive. We need to know if there are any more terrorists involved in that heinous act. This weekend is Run for Boston weekend. Runners are dedicating any miles logged this weekend to everyone affected by this horrible act. On Sunday I will be doing a 30 mile ride/6 mile run brick in support of this movement. Boston Strong! I had to scratch the duathlon I entered for tomorrow to attend the funeral of a family friend. Just wanted to check in and see how all the Beasties are doing. So thankful for all the positive in my life. My family,friends,co-workers,patients and the Beasties. Happy Training Everyone!!

2013-04-28 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4707926

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Sorry to have been MIA over here guys.... I check on y'all daily, and I post on my blog everyday, but I just didn't wanna come over here and whine all the time!  Quick update though.... I should get full clearance to return to training on Thursday, I've already been cleared to swim so that will start again tomorrow, BUT I'll have another setback when I have to go in on May 13th and 2 more spots cut deeper with a skin punch, more stitches, no training till they come out in 10-14 days after that.  Personally I think these docs are being totally over-cautious... I think I know my body pretty well, I don't like pain and would not push through training while I could feel stitches pulling out!  But whatever, I''ve been the perfect patient, and hopefully by the end of May I will be back full time again.  I have a tri scheduled for June 2nd, one I got a free entry to for winning my AG last year, Danskin now Iron Girl, and I will probably go and struggle through it just for training's sake, and maybe I'll surprise myself?  Hopefully it won't be as hard to get back to where I was before all this started.

Some of you have races coming up and especially it it's your FIRST tri, I know you'll be feeling nervous.  ANY questions, bring 'em on and I'll do my best to answer them for you. 

Keep on training!

2013-04-29 7:29 AM
in reply to: #4717727

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Hildebeast - 2013-04-28 8:52 AM

Sorry to have been MIA over here guys.... I check on y'all daily, and I post on my blog everyday, but I just didn't wanna come over here and whine all the time!  Quick update though.... I should get full clearance to return to training on Thursday, I've already been cleared to swim so that will start again tomorrow, BUT I'll have another setback when I have to go in on May 13th and 2 more spots cut deeper with a skin punch, more stitches, no training till they come out in 10-14 days after that.  Personally I think these docs are being totally over-cautious... I think I know my body pretty well, I don't like pain and would not push through training while I could feel stitches pulling out!  But whatever, I''ve been the perfect patient, and hopefully by the end of May I will be back full time again.  I have a tri scheduled for June 2nd, one I got a free entry to for winning my AG last year, Danskin now Iron Girl, and I will probably go and struggle through it just for training's sake, and maybe I'll surprise myself?  Hopefully it won't be as hard to get back to where I was before all this started.

Some of you have races coming up and especially it it's your FIRST tri, I know you'll be feeling nervous.  ANY questions, bring 'em on and I'll do my best to answer them for you. 

Keep on training!

I think by June 2nd you will definitely ready for a race.  I like the Iron Girl series.  My daughters and I are registered for the one in our area.  I did it two years ago.  It was really fun.  I find that I really like all women events.  They have a different feel to them.  I love all the 'you go girl' attitude.

2013-04-29 1:02 PM

atlanta
Well my first Tri is less than a week away and on top of being a nervous wreck, a sinus infection is cutting into my much needed swim sessions. I have no idea what to expect and hope I have all my bases covered. My bike will get a tune up this week, shoes, helmet, sun glasses, Tri shorts, fuel, liquids, watch. What am I missing? Do I need a Tri top to cover my gut? Any newbie tips for the transition area? It is pool based (thank goodness) & I have not been able to swim the distance without breaks. Will I get pulled out of the pool for hanging onto the wall? Will I be able to sandwich a soccer game in between the sprint Tri and downing Margaritas?
2013-04-30 4:53 AM
in reply to: #4719277

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Don't worry, Dee, it'll all come together... I'll post a detailed transition post this afternoon... I don't have enough time now because I'm going to swim, AGAIN, 2nd time this week, whooo hoooo!!!!!
2013-05-01 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4719277

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

jackflash - 2013-04-29 1:02 PM Well my first Tri is less than a week away and on top of being a nervous wreck, a sinus infection is cutting into my much needed swim sessions. I have no idea what to expect and hope I have all my bases covered. My bike will get a tune up this week, shoes, helmet, sun glasses, Tri shorts, fuel, liquids, watch. What am I missing? Do I need a Tri top to cover my gut? Any newbie tips for the transition area? It is pool based (thank goodness) & I have not been able to swim the distance without breaks. Will I get pulled out of the pool for hanging onto the wall? Will I be able to sandwich a soccer game in between the sprint Tri and downing Margaritas?

So let me see if I can remember everything!  This is what I do, it may or may not work for you... I wear my tri suit (or tri shorts and tri top) to the race.  I obviously have to wear some kind of top, it may or may not be optional for guys.  Try to make it pretty tight, otherwise it'll be flailing all around you on the swim and slow you down.  Better when it covers any muffin top!  I wear comfie shoes, usually Crocs and the rest goes into my transition bag...

For the swim: 
Goggles, nice to bring an extra pair just in case.
Swim cap provided by the race, or your own if they don't.  Sometimes it needs your Race # on it.
Wetsuit if you are using one.

For the Bike:
HELMET!!
Bike shoes
Sunglasses (Optional)
Socks (I use 'em, they are optional, put them on and then roll them off like sock condoms, when you come out of the swim, put them over your toes and roll them up!)

For the run:
Running shoes
Same socks as for the bike
Bib # on race belt (optional on the race belt, otherwise somehow pinned to your top)
Hat (also optional)

MISC:
Gu, shot blocks, water, nutrition stuff (Be sure to try BEFORE race day!)
Bike pump
Transition towel to put your things on.
Sunscreen (put on AFTER you are body marked)
Road ID (I have the ankle one, it can double as a chip holder)
Garmin or other (I don't use mine anymore for racing, it always acts up!)

I'm sure I've forgotten something, but that sounds like all the important stuff.

For the transition area, hang your bike on the rack either by your seat or the handlebars.  Next to the wheel down side, put a SMALL towel (NOT a beach towel!).  I usually rest my helmet upside down with the straps open and my sunglasses inside on my aerobars, but it has gotten knocked off before, so sometimes on top of my bike shoes.  Have your sock condoms ready to go.  So on the towel, from front to back... socks, bike shoes with helmet etc on top, bib and race # behind that with hat on top and running shoes on top of that so it doesn't blow away.  Behind that if there is room, or directly under my bike I put my now empty transition bag, I leave it open so I can toss my goggles and cap in there as I start to get my bike stuff on.

For a pool swim, it is okay to rest at the end of a lane, just try and stay out of the way of the swimmers coming behind you so they can pass.  In an OWS it is okay to hang onto a kayak and rest as long as you aren't making forward progress. As far as a soccer game after goes, you'll just have to see how you feel, I bounce back pretty quickly, but you may be spent after your first!

2013-05-01 11:02 PM

atlanta
Thanks HB. I should be able to get in a couple of swims before the weekend.
2013-05-02 12:13 PM
in reply to: #4723409

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
If you've found this thread you'll see we've been archived... that means it's time to start new mentor groups.  I will be posting my bio this afternoon, but of course it may take awhile before they make it live.  All current and former members are welcome to join or continue, and I hope to add a few new people, don't want it to get TOO big though!  You'll have to post your own bio again when you sign up, always good review for me to hear your experience and goals and some of the personal things about you!
2013-05-05 6:54 AM

User image

Veteran

Glad to see the our fearless leader is back out there running and biking!  Yay, Hilde!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 17