Veep Races
25F / -4C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = 204/239
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/10
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Kendallville/Albion around 3 in the afternoon and just putzed around. Met up with Jungle Jenn and DiscipleGuideService and Ree for dinner and conversation.

Had maple and brown sugar oatmeal and coffee for breakfast. I've been eating oatmeal before my races lately. I like that it fills me up and I don't feel like I'm starving during the race. Our middle son was with us, so he drove us to the race and waited for us to finish!
Event warmup:

Not much warmup. Stood in the port-a-john line for a long while. Race started a few minutes late.
Run
  • 2h 36m 26s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 14m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I am very happy with this race. Going into it, I set a goal time of 3 hours because I had not run in snow and ice before. My previous trail run was in the rain and mud at Farmdale. It had snowed overnight so everything had this magical, mystical feel and look to it. I kept thinking that if it snowed during the run I would feel like Mary Tyler Moore when she was singing the theme song for her TV show. Lucky for me, that song was then stuck in my head throughout the race.

I found a runner that had set a nice,sweet pace and I followed him for quite a ways. We got separated when I ran into 50k traffic, but he was always within sight. He let me know when we hit the 5 mile mark and I glanced at my watch and was pleasantly surprised. At that point I wondered if I had a 2:30 in me. I knew it would be close, doable, but close. I also realized that if I could get there by then I would have a much better chance of seeing Mike come through for the end of his first loop (which I did get to do :) )

Somewhere along the trail Jungle Jenn caught up with me and surprised me with a picture. She made me laugh! She always makes me laugh! Lots of friendly runners. Couple of the 50k'ers ran with me for a bit and chatted, like they weren't racing!

IT was just such an awesome race for me! The scenery was absolutely stunning! The freshly fallen snow on the trees, the ice shimmering off of the lake, the old wooden bridges that creak with each step, and the scurry of animals in the trees just led to an awe-inspiring race.
What would you do differently?:

NOT A THING!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to the car with Avery to head back to the hotel for a shower and to check out. After Mike finished we went over to the main tent for soup and hot drinks.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-11-30 12:00 AM
Running
02:36:26 | 10.5 miles | 14m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/239
Performance: Good
Course: Snow-covered trail located in Chain O'Lakes State Park
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-12-30 6:27 PM

User image

Master
MidWest
Subject: The Huff

2013-01-01 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4554292

User image

Subject: RE: The Huff
Congratulations on exceeding your goal! Glad you enjoyed the race. It WAS so beautiful out there.
2013-01-02 2:28 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
I'm glad you had a great day! 
2013-01-03 8:49 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Way to go Beth! That snow would freak me out- you bada$$, momma!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Huff Rss Feed