General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First IM - Chesapeakeman or Beach2Battleship? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-31 11:49 AM

Subject: First IM - Chesapeakeman or Beach2Battleship?
I'm planning to do my first IM in 2013. The Ironman races are all closed out but I can sign up for either the Chesapeakeman in Maryland or the Beach2Battleship in NC full distance tris. Both races seem pretty flat overall and are "close" to me (I live in NH). Anyone done either or both of these races to offer a suggestion for a good first? They are similar timeframes (Sept in MD and Oct in NC) and driveable from my home state. Any thoughts are much appreciated!

2012-12-31 11:58 AM
in reply to: #4555141

Subject: RE: First IM - Chesapeakeman or Beach2Battleship?

I did the Beach2Battleship this year for my first full-distance triathlon.  I really liked the course, the volunteers and the organization.  My race report is here http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=465474&posts=5

I'm not sure why, but the total time is way off.  I did it in 11:40, not the 7:30 it shows.

Having done no others,  I can't really speak intelligently on how it compares to others, but I was really glad to have done this race.

2012-12-31 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
If you consider NC to be driveable, why not IM Louisville? There's still slots open for that one.
2012-12-31 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I did Chessy, and absolutely loved it, so it has my vote.  Tri-Columbia is fantastic and puts on the best events in MD/VA/DE IMHO.  I've heard good things about B2B so you probably can't go wrong.

2012-12-31 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4555178

Yeah - I saw that one was open but water temps are mid 80s. Seems like a hot race - and no wetsuit might make the long swim harder/slower for me
2012-12-31 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4555220

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

You do realize this is an ironman you're talking about, right? Whether or not the race is wetsuit legal should make no difference. Please don't take offense, but since this is BT I can assume you aren't planning on winning, so why does it matter whether it's slower for you? It will be slower for everyone who is faster in a wetsuit. Sure, the wetsuit makes it easier to swim owing to the buoyancy they provide and the slick speed of the surface, but if you can't OWS the distance without a wetsuit before the cutoff, it might not be the right challenge to take on. 

There's a challenge inherent in the IM, and it doesn't get any "easier" given conditions, it just means you will finish faster in "easier" conditions. I dunno, I read myself writing this and I realize it could come off a little jerky, and I'm sorry about that. I personally don't get the athlete that leaves something out there on purpose to take it easy on themselves. To me, it's a sport, and sport is execution. If you know you can, you do, if you think you can't, you try your hardest and maybe you do, maybe you don't, but you never THINK you can't, that's just quitting.

2012-12-31 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4555402

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
fisherman76 - 2012-12-31 3:02 PM

You do realize this is an ironman you're talking about, right? Whether or not the race is wetsuit legal should make no difference. Please don't take offense, but since this is BT I can assume you aren't planning on winning, so why does it matter whether it's slower for you? It will be slower for everyone who is faster in a wetsuit. Sure, the wetsuit makes it easier to swim owing to the buoyancy they provide and the slick speed of the surface, but if you can't OWS the distance without a wetsuit before the cutoff, it might not be the right challenge to take on. 

There's a challenge inherent in the IM, and it doesn't get any "easier" given conditions, it just means you will finish faster in "easier" conditions. I dunno, I read myself writing this and I realize it could come off a little jerky, and I'm sorry about that. I personally don't get the athlete that leaves something out there on purpose to take it easy on themselves. To me, it's a sport, and sport is execution. If you know you can, you do, if you think you can't, you try your hardest and maybe you do, maybe you don't, but you never THINK you can't, that's just quitting.

I hear what you're saying, and I agree a bit.  However, I have to say that there is a strong counter point to your view.  I know you were not trying to be "jerky" and I'm not either, but to counter I will say this.

There is an inherent difficulty in swimming 2.4 miles, then riding a bike 112 miles, and then running a full marathon.  I would imagine that for most first timers this is challenging enough and attempting this feat at a race that provides the best chance for success does figure into the planning.  If the "gear" (i.e. wetsuit) should make no difference then why not do the ride on a mountain bike??? why not run the marathon in hiking boots... it is an Ironman after all? 

2012-12-31 2:36 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

I have never done either race but have read/heard alot about both so take what I say with a grain of salt. I would say that driving from NH to NC is pretty long, I would never do it and would probably fly. I would say that Chessiman would definately be driving distance.

Chessiman- Tri Columbia puts on excellent races and they are top notch at what they do. The swim is in the bay and will be wetsuit legal. Moderate temps and The bike is very flat but you can most likely expect some wind. The run course is also flat and multiple loops. I dont believe that the course field is very big, maybe like 300 full participants so it might get a little lonely out there. Also, not as much for the family to do while down in Cambridge, its nice and all but I would definately give them nod to B2B. Multiple points on the course for family to watch.

B2B-Swim is saltwater swim in a channel (I believe) and usually some type of current. Bike is flat but there is a bridge or two you go over and the run is the same. Great town support from what I hear and Set up Events puts on a great event. Bigger field of people at the race so probably less lonely.

Either way, both races are top notch and you cant go wrong. You can look at the Races section at the top of the page and read Race Reports from both races for further comparison. Good Luck and let us know which one you pick.

2012-12-31 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4555434

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
I don't want to hijack the thread, but (I am!) solid point, Sous.  I guess to be more clear, I don't see picking a particular race because it makes everything *easiest*, but I do get the one that makes things *hardest*. My criteria for races is distance, cost, and convenience. You'll see me at Chesapeake Man next year 'cause my old man lives in Annapolis and I have a place to stay and something for my family to do while I go do stupid stuff in skin tight clothes It's also the cheapest option for that distance. If it was the hilliest course and hottest time of year, I'd still do it. But that's just me I suppose. As we know, everyone out there has different reasons.
2012-12-31 5:06 PM
in reply to: #4555481

I appreciate all the thoughts and comments on the wetsuit for the Kentucky IM race.....I guess in general, I'd rather not drive down to KY for a hot temp race. I'm not expecting to place and generally finish MOP - just looking for a race I would also "enjoy". I'm thinking I might just shell out the money for an IM, and grab a foundation spot in the Mont Tremblant race in Quebec. The race will have more hills overall, but it's a close drive, friends/family could come, and I think the venue would be spectacular. So we'll see - either cheaper Chessy race or IM Quebec foundation spot - either way, I expect it to be an excing challenge. thanks again for the thoughts.
2012-12-31 9:56 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
I can't speak for maryland but I live in Wilmington and did the B2B half last year and relay the year before. Great race. Huge support from the volunteers and spectators. They changed the course and you finish downtown so the logistics are much easier than before. The swim was super fast this year. Current was awesome! I might be a little partial but setup events does a great job! Great time of year and you can't beat the beaches. Best of luckPaula

2013-01-02 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4555481

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

fisherman76 - 2012-12-31 4:00 PM I don't want to hijack the thread, but (I am!) solid point, Sous.  I guess to be more clear, I don't see picking a particular race because it makes everything *easiest*, but I do get the one that makes things *hardest*. My criteria for races is distance, cost, and convenience. You'll see me at Chesapeake Man next year 'cause my old man lives in Annapolis and I have a place to stay and something for my family to do while I go do stupid stuff in skin tight clothes It's also the cheapest option for that distance. If it was the hilliest course and hottest time of year, I'd still do it. But that's just me I suppose. As we know, everyone out there has different reasons.

Agreed!  I did providence 70.3 twice because I have family there and thus a free place to stay and some free home cooked meals.  There were/are far better options for that distance, but the overall cheapness of the race won me over.

2013-01-03 2:32 PM

User image

Eastern Shore Maryland
While I have done neither, I've was at Eagleman last year. It was HOT, HOT, HOT. I was telling myself I'm glad i wasn't doing this race. I'd opt for a month later and hope for cooler weather. GOOD LUCK
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First IM - Chesapeakeman or Beach2Battleship? Rss Feed