General Discussion Triathlon Talk » breathless in the pool? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-01-02 11:09 PM
in reply to: #4555974

User image

Hartstown
Subject: RE: breathless in the pool?

I have had this problem, but seems to be gone now that I have changed my breathing pattern.  I started every stroke (right arm), then every 3rd.  Then I went back to every stroke, but what I changed was I would breathe from my mouth then just before I turned my head out I would exhale through my nose.  Made a world of difference for me.  Swam my first Mile without stopping (started swimming in November), and still don't flip turn.  Exhaling through my nose really helped me and didn't see it mentioned, but I am VERY new.........

God Bless,

Todd

2013-01-03 1:18 AM
in reply to: #4557235

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
TEST DUMMY - 2013-01-02 12:46 AM

chris00nj,

I'm goint through exactly what your going through. I'm going just fast enough not to sink, but cant seem to get all the air out under water before I'm dying for the next breath. Then when I breath in, it seems like I'm gasping. I end up having a stomach ache for about half hour after my swim. I think that is because I'm sucking in to much air too fast. I'm new to the whole swimming thing, so I'm hoping the more I practice, and go slow, the better it will be. 

Can you push off the wall and glide on the surface of the water without sinking? With a full breath of air? At what point do you feel like you are sinking? What position is your body in when the sinking feeling happens? If you let yourself "sink" while gliding forward and a gentle kick...how much under the water are you?
2013-01-03 1:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas

During my work out in the pool a girl came out of the locker room in a floss style thong, and believe me the entire pool, no matter if they were working out or not was BREATHLESS.

Thank goodness I bought those prescription goggles.

2013-01-03 6:52 AM
in reply to: #4556809

Master
Northern IL
Richardsdrr - 2013-01-01 5:55 PM
Av8rTx - 2013-01-01 10:24 PM
happyscientist - 2013-01-01 1:47 PM
skippypusa - 2013-01-01 4:07 AM

I may be wrong depending on where you're racing, but the races I've signed up for this year dont allow backstroke, as that is the signal to be used for distress (roll onto back and hands in air).

Ref Breathing: I have the same issues, i manage about 50 meters before I have to stop because Im out of breath. I'm breathing every 3 strokes, and and breathing out when face is down (I use the Swim smooth  "Bubble,Bubble, Breathe" exercise, where I say the word bubble twice whilst face is underwater, then take the breath on the third stroke. My swim coach says it's because I am not  "swim fit", I have a feeling I am taking in too much breath and next swim session I am gonna spend the time solely concentrating on breathing a bit shallower. Will let you know how I get on.

Is it common that backstroke is not allowed?  I had figured that it would be a useful way to take a break and normalize my breathing if I needed to.

I have never encountered this rule. Must be a local thing. I have seen back stroke, side stroke, dog paddle, breast stroke and bizarre made up strokes as well as roiling over and sculling. In pool swims I have seen newer athletes stand up and walk.

Just so you know I'm not making it up lol. Should you need assistance during the swim, lie on your back and put your arm in the air. For this reason forward facing strokes are only permitted in the swim. If you fail to start after registering you MUST report to the race office prior to the start of the race, this is for safety reasons. Taken from the raceack info given for a race I've registered for later this year. I'm in the UK and a new to this, so you're probably right. But I suppose its useful to know that it could be a possibility and people should check their race packs prior to registering for races.

It's a UK thing. I've heard of it for races over there. Backstroke was outlawed there due to the similarity to raising the hand up to signal for help. They wanted no confusion in that matter. For most other areas, this would be the exception rather than the norm.

2013-01-03 9:09 AM

Those people who are sinking... are you males? Are you wearing speado, jammers, swimming trunks or board shorts? Swimming trucks and board shorts will weigh you down mess up your balance and cause a lot of unnecessary drag. Get yourself a pair of speedos or jammers they will make swimming easier.

2013-01-04 10:29 AM

AdventureBear,

I meant that I'm going so slow, I feel like I'm stalling, not sinking. Sorry.

2013-01-04 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4561907

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
TEST DUMMY - 2013-01-04 9:29 AM

AdventureBear,

I meant that I'm going so slow, I feel like I'm stalling, not sinking. Sorry.

OK, that helps. If you feel like you're stalling it means that you're got a lot of drag going on prpobabaly.

People create drag while swimming for one of 1 main reasons...they are either unbalanced or unstreamlined.

Balance means head, shoulders hips all level with the surface of the water. This is something taht is a continuous project for some people, and is affected by where you're looking, where you're arms are at in relation to your torso and what core muscles you're contracting.

streamlining has to do with creating a long streamlined body shape each time you take a stroke. The problem is that the stroke itself is a non-streamlined position. So whiel the righ arm is stroking, the left arm should be extended, piercing the water. The left arm should wait until the right is about ot take it's place so that when the left arm is taking its stroke, the rigth side of the body is streamlined.

This is why slowing down the stroke rate initially is really helpful as you have time to line up all the body parts. The down side of this is that it does extend the time between breaths.

However...as your balance & streamlining improve, it takes less energy to move forward and you create fewer waste products, so you don't need to breath as often.

We have newer swimmers struggling like this sdo a lot of practice swimming just 4-6 strokes or 1/2 lengths with 1 or 2 breaths and not worry about getting ot the other side. When getting to the other side is the most important objective the brain doesn't have room to deal with everything I mentioned above.

2013-01-04 5:37 PM

Thanks for the great tips. I'll do it next time I swim.
2013-01-04 7:43 PM

Regular
Alberta, Canada
water is a mental game!

ever go scuba diving, remember that first breath underwater? you have to force yourself to do it! it's instinct. just like holding your breath.

to teach kids to breath out under water the hum while holding onto the edge!

long story short until you can replicate a regular breathing pattern as part of your technique you will have trouble swimming over 100m!

2013-01-05 6:24 PM

Regular
Fishers, IN
Agree it is mental. I just tried the slow down and exhale more and I went from 50 yes to 200 UDS out of the gate. As I got tired, my breathing became more erratic and panicky. Suppose this is what is meant by "something clicks" when you figure out breathing and can then crank out yards
2013-01-05 7:44 PM

Regular
Alberta, Canada
yeah just keep it up, you will get there!

a drill I like for breathing is using a flutter board and just gently kicking

slowly do strokes alternating holding the board out with the alternate hand, and breathe every three strokes! the board will help keep your stream line so when you turn your head you breath (instead of drinking ) this also a good time to work on your form high elbows, rolling your shoulders. but really focus on the breathing.

you may feel like your not working out hard, but these kind of drills really will help, because swimming is more then just being fit!

2013-01-06 3:34 AM

New user

Hi there, I'm new to BT and this was one of the first threads I have read. I have exactly the same problem! After reading this I wondered whether I was exhaling too much, so I took my self off to the pool and swam taking a breath every second stroke instead of every 3rd. Voila! Problem solved! Once I got comfortable I started a breathing pattern of 2/2/3. I swam 750m non stop, I've never been able to do that! My swim has been the only thing stopping me from entertaining a triathlon. I'm so chuffed I'm going to enter in my first triathlon this weekend!
2013-01-06 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4564268

Regular
Fishers, IN
nwalker82 - 2013-01-06 4:34 AM

Hi there, I'm new to BT and this was one of the first threads I have read. I have exactly the same problem! After reading this I wondered whether I was exhaling too much, so I took my self off to the pool and swam taking a breath every second stroke instead of every 3rd. Voila! Problem solved! Once I got comfortable I started a breathing pattern of 2/2/3. I swam 750m non stop, I've never been able to do that! My swim has been the only thing stopping me from entertaining a triathlon. I'm so chuffed I'm going to enter in my first triathlon this weekend!

Very encouraging, thanks for sharing!
2013-01-06 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4564268

Regular
Fishers, IN
nwalker82 - 2013-01-06 4:34 AM

Very encouraging, thanks for sharing!
2013-01-06 1:17 PM

User image

Regular

I know what you are going through!!  I've been swimming just since September, and I was definately in the gasping after 50 yards phase for a while.  Now I can do 1000 yds freestyle non-stop with a 1:45/100 yards pace, and not be out of breath.  This is what helped me:

1.  Switched back from trying to learn bilateral breathing, to once every right arm stroke breathing.  Interestingly, at first it felt more natural to breathe left, but was "jerky".  Switched to breathing right and I'm much smoother now.  Also - I'm sure I sound like a motorboat underwater b/c I exhale loudly mostly through my mouth while underwater!

2. Swallowed my pride and bought jammers to replace trunks.  Immediate incease in speed, huge decrease in effort due to less drag, higher and more level leg position, and a lot better "feel" for the water.  I was worried I would look like a nerf ball with a rubber band around it, but it wasn't too bad.  Besides, I'm in the pool 99% of the time I'm there.

3.  Used fins to get a feel for the proper "from the hip" kick.  Did 100 with, followed immediately by 100 without.

3.  Viewed Perpetual Motion Freestyle Youtube videos and bought the DVD by Total Immersion Swimming.  Lots of little tips there.  Best one = one stroke, one kick.  This saves a ton of energy/oxygen.

4.  Took my wife swimming with me.  She swims almost in slow motion, but can also go 1000+ yds non-stop.  This taught me to slow way down, without the fear of sinking.

Swimming is defiantely a learning experience.  And it's cumulative.  Swimming2x/week is the minimum to improve your technique. 

Keep at it:  You will improve!

2013-01-07 12:00 PM

User image

I just have to say that I have been having the same problem, and this thread has been wonderfully informative.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » breathless in the pool? Rss Feed  

of 2