General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-08-27 10:42 AM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread

Originally posted by alltom1 The route maps are now posted and there's a change(slight) to the run course. It looks like both full and half racers now do the short out/back past the convention center in the beginning of the race - last year, only people doing the full had that little segment that took you towards the PPD building. In addition, all racers now run further along Greenfield Lake before the turn-around, and those annoying triangles through the neighborhood adjoining the park are gone. Near as I can tell, no changes to last year's bike course. And the swim course will never change!

The run looks way less confusing!  I'm pretty sure my brain will be able to process the out and backs!

60 days!  I'm getting excited!

2013-08-27 11:09 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by alltom1 The route maps are now posted and there's a change(slight) to the run course. It looks like both full and half racers now do the short out/back past the convention center in the beginning of the race - last year, only people doing the full had that little segment that took you towards the PPD building. In addition, all racers now run further along Greenfield Lake before the turn-around, and those annoying triangles through the neighborhood adjoining the park are gone. Near as I can tell, no changes to last year's bike course. And the swim course will never change!

The run looks way less confusing!  I'm pretty sure my brain will be able to process the out and backs!

60 days!  I'm getting excited!

GAH!  60 days??  That's it??  I'm excited too... and nervous! 

2013-08-27 3:34 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
It looks like the run special needs was moved too? I think the worst part is going to be running past the finish line to turn around to do the second loop of the run course!! I don't think that seeing all the other people finishing and celebrating will be terribly fun!!

Karen
2013-08-29 10:56 PM
in reply to: gadgetlaw

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
I think I remember someone saying that there was a brand new hotel that was supposed to be completed by the race date... anyone know the name?
2013-08-30 8:59 AM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by pistuo

I think I remember someone saying that there was a brand new hotel that was supposed to be completed by the race date... anyone know the name?

It is a Marriott Courtyard that is 2 blocks from the Hilton. Unfortunately they are way behind and it is not completed yet.
2013-08-30 8:48 PM
in reply to: qrkid

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Alright folks, this will be my first IM. So I've got lots of questions. I'm wondering if some of the veterans can help me out...

1. What do you wear? I realize we'll know more about weather once we get closer... but what has it been like in the past? I'm guessing tri shorts under wet suit? But if it's cold, do you take time to totally dry off and put all dry clothes on for the bike? Did you start the bike w/ arm sleeves? Did you change after the bike? Did you keep your tri shorts on for the run or change?

2. Can you wear a camelbak in this race? If so, is it a good idea? I've been training with infinit in my bottle and a camelbak that holds about 60 oz. I'm getting pretty comfortable with it and like the idea of only have to refill water once.

3. What did you have in your special needs bag on the bike and run?

4. How many tubes did you carry? Is there a sag wagon that can help you if you have bike problems? (need a tube, CO2, bike tool, etc)

5. I've heard that it can be windy. What has that meant for the bike? How windy? Has the direction generally been the same every year or is it random?

6. I've heard that the bike and run are flat. Are we talking pancake flat or are their some rolling hills?

7. What time does the sun go down in NC in October? Once the sun goes down, does it get a lot cooler? Are the streets well lit? I'm guessing it will take me around 14-15 hours to finish.

Thanks in advance to all the veterans for your responses!

2013-09-03 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member

Alright folks, this will be my first IM. So I've got lots of questions. I'm wondering if some of the veterans can help me out...

1. What do you wear? I realize we'll know more about weather once we get closer... but what has it been like in the past? I'm guessing tri shorts under wet suit? But if it's cold, do you take time to totally dry off and put all dry clothes on for the bike? Did you start the bike w/ arm sleeves? Did you change after the bike? Did you keep your tri shorts on for the run or change?

2. Can you wear a camelbak in this race? If so, is it a good idea? I've been training with infinit in my bottle and a camelbak that holds about 60 oz. I'm getting pretty comfortable with it and like the idea of only have to refill water once.

4. How many tubes did you carry? Is there a sag wagon that can help you if you have bike problems? (need a tube, CO2, bike tool, etc)

5. I've heard that it can be windy. What has that meant for the bike? How windy? Has the direction generally been the same every year or is it random?

6. I've heard that the bike and run are flat. Are we talking pancake flat or are their some rolling hills?

7. What time does the sun go down in NC in October? Once the sun goes down, does it get a lot cooler? Are the streets well lit? I'm guessing it will take me around 14-15 hours to finish.

I'll tackle a few of these...

1. Definitely plan on having those arm warmers, at a minimum. It can be fairly cool in the a.m. and there's no point to being uncomfortable for the first couple of hours on the bike. Being overdressed is not the worst mistake you could make... Wet weather ride gear ready to go as the forecast calls for...

As a matter of preference, I do change into running shorts in T2.

5. Yeah, there's almost always some wind in that part of the world, frequently blowing from either the north or the south, which means headwind for some stretch of the ride. The course they used until last year was generally headwind the first 70 miles and then the sweetest tailwind the last 40. Last year felt more like a crosswind.

6. Bike course is basically flat but I'd describe as more of a false-flat than pancake. The time spent at the ends of I-140 does have some inclines...

The run course comes close to pancake flat, with maybe two very brief inclines.

7. Not sure about sunset on 10/26, but if you expect to finish in the dark, it will be cooler and a longsleeve in your SN bag is an absolute must.

Good luck with your training...
2013-09-04 12:13 PM

User image

Not sure if I'm understanding the tide chart for race day. What I've seen is that low tide is at 7:42am on race day for that location, So we will have a slight current against us for the first bit of the swim and then roughly a hour of slack tide before you get any push. Is that right? So us bop swimmers will be getting out with the fast swimmers from the 1/2?
2013-09-04 7:23 PM
in reply to: dpg31

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Originally posted by dpg31

Not sure if I'm understanding the tide chart for race day. What I've seen is that low tide is at 7:42am on race day for that location, So we will have a slight current against us for the first bit of the swim and then roughly a hour of slack tide before you get any push. Is that right? So us bop swimmers will be getting out with the fast swimmers from the 1/2?

You've pretty much got it except the slack tide shouldn't take an hour to turn into a push. The year that most closely resembled this year's tide chart was 2010. Worth a read of that year's RR's to get a feel for what this year will look like.
2013-09-06 7:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anyone know someone registered for the Half that isn't going to make it and is still appearing on the registered list? My doc won't clear me to race the Full. The RD said I can't drop down to the Half because it has been filled, so I'm trying to locate a spot in the Half that won't be used. Thanks!
2013-09-06 10:38 AM
in reply to: TriBee

User image

Extreme Veteran
Found a slot so I'm in for the Half.

2013-09-07 9:01 AM

New user

Anyone know someone who has a FULL entry they aren't going to be able to use?
2013-09-08 9:20 AM
in reply to: amckeague

User image

Extreme Veteran
As of this morning, there are still 53 slots available for the Full.
2013-09-08 1:44 PM

New user

Yes, I just checked. NOW there are 54 spots left. They are charity spots at $750 each. if possible I'm looking for one that is not so expensive.
2013-09-09 1:12 PM
in reply to: amckeague

New user

Ha! I couldn't wait. I bit the bullet. I'm in!
2013-09-09 6:59 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
I did this race in 2011. Does anyone know if it is the same bike course or if it has been changed? I can't tell from looking at the course map.

2013-09-10 12:56 PM
in reply to: jkholden

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I don't think I've seen anything on here yet (and if there is something, I'm sorry - I was too lazy to go back and look!) for trying to get a BT meet-up together... anyone interested?  When & where??? 

Would love to meet some more awesome BTers! 

2013-09-10 2:05 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Well, definitely count me in for a dinner meet up.  Foodz iz Gud!

p.s.  what the hell have I done by signing up for this??

2013-09-10 9:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
I dont know anything about when the best time to meet up would be... I've never done this race and I've never done a Full IM... but, maybe lunch the day after? Or pick a specific athlete meeting to attend and all meet before or after... isnt the meeting mandatory?
2013-09-10 9:25 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by alltom1

Originally posted by dpg31

You've pretty much got it except the slack tide shouldn't take an hour to turn into a push. The year that most closely resembled this year's tide chart was 2010. Worth a read of that year's RR's to get a feel for what this year will look like.

Ugh, keep hearing this and it's throwing all my plans into the garbage! I'm going to have to actually swim to the finish!

Just make sure you can swim the distance (in a wetsuit) and you'll be fine. The swimmers for the half will get the benefit of the tide. Those of us doing the full monty won't...until later.

Good luck!
2013-09-10 9:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Here's my take:

1. Going to wear the absolute least amount of clothes that will get me comfortably through the bike...Extra stuff will slow you down more and since you don't really train with it much, it could cause some other unintended consequences...like chafing.

2. While a camelbak is a good way to carry all your fluids, that's ALOT of unnecessary weight. There will be aid stations every 15 miles (or so). In my opinion, not a good idea, but if that's the way you have trained, then trust in your training and don't change things up.

3. Special needs bags. I've seen ppl put in extra shoes, extra socks, immodium, aspirin, extra nutrition that is not on the course...a pic for motivation. I plan to throw an extra pair of socks in there for the run, but doubt I'll use them.

4. Tubes and flat repair. That's a tough one. I'm going with one tube, two CO2 canisters, and tire levers. The two canisters are in case I screw one up somehow. If I flat again (for a second time), I'll wait for the on course help.

5. I raced the HIM last year. It was windy for the first half to three quarters of the bike. Then, towards the end, the wind was to our back. From race reports and talking to ppl that have done the full, I think you can expect it to be windy for the first 50-70 miles (headwind) and then, for the last 40, you'll get a slight tailwind.

6. The bike is flat, but it's not "hammer" flat...The wind may have something to do with that. There were many times last year when I'd be on a flat area, pick up the effort, and not go much faster...false flats. The run is pretty much flat...some bridges though, and the end is downhill! That was TERRIBLE! You just don't want to go downhill at the end of a long course race!

7. Race reports tell me that it's kind of dark and you get blinded by cars pretty easily...can't really tell you much about this, though.

One last thing i'd like to point out is that last year, we had to ride over the big bridge on rubber mats. Wow, that was terrrible. It was slow, difficult, and caused you to waste TONS of energy...almost like riding through sand. Hated it. Not much we can do about it, but just prepare. It's maybe a 1/4 to 1/3 mile stretch? I don't recall...It's not super long.

Good luck!

Edited by d00d 2013-09-10 9:45 PM

2013-09-11 9:18 AM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by cgregg

Well, definitely count me in for a dinner meet up.  Foodz iz Gud

p.s.  what the hell have I done by signing up for this??

EXCELLENT!  As you are already aware, I'm quite partial to food as well... and preferably in vast quantities. 

We'll figure something out!

P.S. You shaddup - I've seen your time from the Rev3 HIM, you'll be just fine.  HTFU! 

2013-09-11 9:22 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by pistuo I dont know anything about when the best time to meet up would be... I've never done this race and I've never done a Full IM... but, maybe lunch the day after? Or pick a specific athlete meeting to attend and all meet before or after... isnt the meeting mandatory?

I haven't done this race before either, so I'm very open to whatever suggestions others might have... 

Athlete meeting? 

Practice swim the day before? 

Lunch the day before or after? 

2013-09-15 9:03 AM

User image

Elite
How's training coming along, peeps?

Training is coming along great, for me! Had a 90+ mile ride yesterday and it was sooooo windy that it was almost comical. I'm guessing that it's great B2B training!
2013-09-18 1:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Cleveland

I've been sick for the last 10 days, so I shut down while waiting for the head & lungs to clear.

Hoping to start getting back to things tonight; if not, then tomorrow for sure.

Hoping to do at least 80-90 miles this weekend, then I've got a HIM the following weekend.

Are we there, yet???

Edited by cgregg 2013-09-18 1:47 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8