General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-09-25 9:45 AM
in reply to: d00d

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread
Its getting to be that time; almost all the work is in; time to get strategic; cross all your "t's", dot all your "i's". I hope your preparation will be rewarded by the cheers of spectators as we cross the finish line. This will be my first IM distance race and I am thoroughly looking forward to completing the challenge. Thanks to everyone who has posted here; the info and wisdom have been priceless. Wanted to wish everyone the best and can't wait to read the RR's.

2013-09-28 9:05 AM
in reply to: soccerpmw15

User image

New user
Salisbury
Does anyone have the link to sign up for the Hilton-T1 buses?

This is my second B2B full. Great race you first timers will the race vibe on race day.
2013-09-28 2:05 PM
in reply to: kenbert61

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by kenbert61 Does anyone have the link to sign up for the Hilton-T1 buses? This is my second B2B full. Great race you first timers will the race vibe on race day.

It's on the B2B site under Shop

http://beach2battleship.com/shop

2013-10-01 11:46 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

New user
Salisbury
2013-10-01 5:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by kenbert61 Does anyone have the link to sign up for the Hilton-T1 buses? This is my second B2B full. Great race you first timers will the race vibe on race day.

This is actually quite ironic. I just logged in here to ask about that link. I have tried several times to use it and cannot get it to work. After I finally got the shopping cart to take my order, I could not check out because I apparently don't have a login. Now I have tried several times to create a login and I cannot get that to work either. Does anybody have a secret that I am missing?

I think I just needed to whine a little bit. I went back and tried it one more time and it worked now.

Edited by jkholden 2013-10-01 6:07 PM
2013-10-02 7:51 AM

User image

I have a few Newbie questions about pre/post swim logistics. Does everyone take the shuttle to the swim start or can you have someone(spouse) drop you off? If you have to take the shuttle is there a place to get wetsuit on at start and leave a bag with what you wore to the start? Or does everyone get their wetsuit on in t1 and ride the shuttle ready to swim? I was wanting to just wear swim jammers on under my wetsuit and put on bike shorts in t1 so I don't have saltwater on bike shorts. Where are the fresh water showers located, down at the dock where we exit the water or up @ t1? How crowded do the showers get? (I'm a bop swimmer) If its usually a long wait then I'm thinking about another strategy. Thnxs for any help.

2013-10-02 9:29 AM
in reply to: jkholden

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
I see from the Athlete's Booklet that my wave(I'm doing the half this year) doesn't go off until 9:20am...good grief!

On the plus side, tide should be at full rip by then..
2013-10-02 10:25 AM
in reply to: dpg31

User image

New user

I can only post from my experience at last year's half, but logistically, it should be no different. You do not have to take the shuttle; i didn't last year. You will have a bag with you in T1 (its where you put your wetsuit when you are done with the swim) and you can put all your morning clothes in there. Last year, weather was cool enough that i put the wetsuit on halfway, then put my arms in and zipped once at the start (dont want to overheat just standing around). Showers are located on the run to T1 just off the docks around a left turn. Zero crowd last year as I went through, so i took a moment to rinse (although i did finish near the front of my group, but behind several others). Like your avatar...good luck.
2013-10-03 7:02 AM
in reply to: soccerpmw15

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It's just wrong that the Chattanooga group is more active that this one!  We need to work on that!

How is everyone doing?  Have you completed your last big ride and run or do you have that coming up this weekend?

2013-10-03 7:09 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by dpg31 I have a few Newbie questions about pre/post swim logistics. Does everyone take the shuttle to the swim start or can you have someone(spouse) drop you off? If you have to take the shuttle is there a place to get wetsuit on at start and leave a bag with what you wore to the start? Or does everyone get their wetsuit on in t1 and ride the shuttle ready to swim?

You can but there is very little room to turn around there.  You'll want to look at the situation when you are at T1 on Friday but the parking lot there is pretty much bus turnaround only so you'll probably need to walk a block or two if you are dropped off.  Nothing major but do not plan to use that parking lot.

Yes, you can put your wetsuit on at the start -- many people do.  A lot of folks pull the legs on before getting on the shuttle from T1. 

I do not believe that there is a bag drop off at the swim start any longer.  I am hoping that there is a place to put donation items though (so if you wear something you can have it donated to Goodwill or whatever).  Does anyone know if that is the case?  I did the B2B full in 2011 but not last year.

I was wanting to just wear swim jammers on under my wetsuit and put on bike shorts in t1 so I don't have saltwater on bike shorts. Where are the fresh water showers located, down at the dock where we exit the water or up @ t1? How crowded do the showers get? (I'm a bop swimmer) If its usually a long wait then I'm thinking about another strategy. Thnxs for any help.

Yes, there are freshwater (warm water) showers on the dock at the swim exit.  You run through the showers so they are not crowded at all.  I would be very surprised if there is a wait for the showers.  There are also wetsuit strippers on the dock.

2013-10-03 7:11 AM
in reply to: jkholden

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Originally posted by jkholden

This is actually quite ironic. I just logged in here to ask about that link. I have tried several times to use it and cannot get it to work. After I finally got the shopping cart to take my order, I could not check out because I apparently don't have a login. Now I have tried several times to create a login and I cannot get that to work either. Does anybody have a secret that I am missing? I think I just needed to whine a little bit. I went back and tried it one more time and it worked now.

Did you ever get this to work?  When I got my tickets, I ended up emailing the B2B folks and they had to set me up.  I used the web form on the B2B site.

2013-10-03 8:14 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Just ran my last looong run yesterday (before taper!). How's training up to this point?

ready for taper?

BTW, received my Athlete Event Information book a few days ago! W00h00!
2013-10-03 9:31 AM

User image

Thanks to everyone for the pre race logistics!! I've been really happy with my training so far. My last long run(22mi) is on10/6 and my last long bike (century) will be 10/13 then 12day taper Lots of thoughts going thru my head, but DOUBT isn't one of them. Ready to do this and I hope everyone has the race they're looking for.
2013-10-03 9:39 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Trying to figure out race morning logistics.  I'm staying at a house in Wilmington that is about a 30 minute drive from T1.  I'm guessing that I won't need any shuttles sans the one that takes us from T1 to Swim Start.

As for training, I haven't been following any set plan - mostly just racing myself into fitness.  I'm looking at next weekend (12th/13th) for my last long run and long bike.

Hoping to see my Athlete Guide soon.

2013-10-03 9:48 AM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Originally posted by cgregg

Trying to figure out race morning logistics.  I'm staying at a house in Wilmington that is about a 30 minute drive from T1.  I'm guessing that I won't need any shuttles sans the one that takes us from T1 to Swim Start.

As for training, I haven't been following any set plan - mostly just racing myself into fitness.  I'm looking at next weekend (12th/13th) for my last long run and long bike.

Having done this race last year, I would highly suggest that you park in one of the downtown parking garages (free on weekends) and take the shuttle from the Hilton to T1 then the shuttle from T1 to swim start.

That way your car is at the finish and you don't have to worry about getting onto the island at Wrightsville Beach.
2013-10-03 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Some people drive to the Hilton and park in the deck across the street and then take the shuttle to T1.  That means that when you finish, your car is already there.  If you have a driver (who is willing to get up and take you), though, you could obviously just get dropped off at T1.

2013-10-03 9:51 AM
in reply to: japarker24

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Originally posted by japarker24

Having done this race last year, I would highly suggest that you park in one of the downtown parking garages (free on weekends) and take the shuttle from the Hilton to T1 then the shuttle from T1 to swim start. That way your car is at the finish and you don't have to worry about getting onto the island at Wrightsville Beach.

Good point about getting onto the island.  Are they still working on the bridge?  If so, that will make it even more challenging :-(

2013-10-03 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia

You don't need the Downtown - T1shuttle...but make sure you give yourself plenty of time to navigate the traffic around T1 when you're getting dropped off.

Athlete Guide is downloadable from the B2B website if it doesn't show in the mail...
2013-10-03 10:10 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Some people drive to the Hilton and park in the deck across the street and then take the shuttle to T1.  That means that when you finish, your car is already there.  If you have a driver (who is willing to get up and take you), though, you could obviously just get dropped off at T1.

This.  My brother is going to be there with me, and will be dropping me off (even if he doesn't know it, yet ).

We'll probably park someplace at T1 in case he wants to watch us come out of the water, but then he'll have the car (we're driving down from Ohio) the rest of the day while I'm out there.

2013-10-03 10:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Can anyone tell me if there will be athlete tracking so my family and friends can get updates?
Thanks.
2013-10-06 2:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

THREE WEEKS!!!!!!!

Edited by d00d 2013-10-06 2:38 PM

2013-10-06 2:47 PM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by pistuo Can anyone tell me if there will be athlete tracking so my family and friends can get updates? Thanks.

Yes, see answer #3 in the General section.

http://beach2battleship.com/event-info/information/faq

2013-10-07 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
dOOd posted a good question in the B2B thread on the 'other' tri website - I think it bears repeating here:

If you look at the swim map(full), you see there is a buoy/marker directly across from the Blockade Runner hotel. dOOd's question was, does the buoy need to be passed on the right, or can you start your left turn towards the SeaPath condos/marina before you get there? It obviously cuts off a good bit of distance if you can pass the buoy on the left..

http://beach2battleship.com/files/b2bFullSwim.pdf

The answer will depend on whatever the RD says in the mandatory meeting on Friday...

At least once in the past, the RD has said you were free and clear to take the shortest distance to SeaPath, and that buoy was just for sighting purposes. Other years it was the turn marker, and if you passed the buoy on the left, you were cutting the course short. Obviously, it's worth knowing what route you can take because it's potentially a huge time/distance savings if you can head straight for the marina. Personally, I would not trust what anyone says in regards to the proper route but the RD. If no one else asks the question at the meeting, do everyone a favor and ask yourself.

I will offer this advice: Once you make that left turn towards the marina, start sighting on the SeaPath condos. It's the only 'high-rise' on the horizon and you'll save yourself from getting too close to the shore on your right.
2013-10-07 11:30 AM

User image

Does anyone know how the Heed is passed out on the run course? Is it in premixed sports bottles or just in paper cups? I'm use to running with a water bottle and trying to fine tune a plan. Thanks
2013-10-07 12:53 PM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by alltom1 dOOd posted a good question in the B2B thread on the 'other' tri website - I think it bears repeating here: If you look at the swim map(full), you see there is a buoy/marker directly across from the Blockade Runner hotel. dOOd's question was, does the buoy need to be passed on the right, or can you start your left turn towards the SeaPath condos/marina before you get there? It obviously cuts off a good bit of distance if you can pass the buoy on the left.. http://beach2battleship.com/files/b2bFullSwim.pdfThe answer will depend on whatever the RD says in the mandatory meeting on Friday... At least once in the past, the RD has said you were free and clear to take the shortest distance to SeaPath, and that buoy was just for sighting purposes. Other years it was the turn marker, and if you passed the buoy on the left, you were cutting the course short. Obviously, it's worth knowing what route you can take because it's potentially a huge time/distance savings if you can head straight for the marina. Personally, I would not trust what anyone says in regards to the proper route but the RD. If no one else asks the question at the meeting, do everyone a favor and ask yourself. I will offer this advice: Once you make that left turn towards the marina, start sighting on the SeaPath condos. It's the only 'high-rise' on the horizon and you'll save yourself from getting too close to the shore on your right.

Wow, if we're allowed to cut that corner, that would be HUGE.... but, I can't see it being allowed because that would dramatically shorten the course.  Looking at the legend on the swim map, that is marked as Turn Buoy, so I would have to expect that it must be passed on your left... otherwise, you could probably cut 1500' off the swim.

I mean, heck... the Half swimmers would be able to just cut straight across and turn it into a Sprint distance swim.  I suppose that it is a worthwhile question to be asked, but I think the answer is self-evident.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8