BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for our sixth season - we will reopen in Jan 2014 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-01-01 2:16 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for our sixth season - we will reopen in Jan 2014

Our focus: YOU

While we have several Ironman finishers in the group, we love to help new people. If you are doing an Ironman, come benefit from our knowledge. If you are training for your first sprint and want a supportive fun group - well - you also found your home.

Story: This is my sixth year as a mentor. My group will be a little different from many of them on here and I want to explain how. I have a couple of folks from my first group, a couple from my second group, several from my third year and some from the 4th year and now fifth too. Then we will be adding those of you who might be interested. The group is male and female, evenly divided, from Canada and Boston to Louisiana and Texas. All middle aged (don't tell them I said that)....my 50 year mid life crisis in 2009 was my first Ironman (chronicled in the book - You Are An Ironman) - I finished IM Arizona in November 2009 and 2011. Two of our 2010 members did IM Louisville and one of our other members completed IM Arizona in 2010 but don't let that intimidate you...several just did their first sprint in 2008, 2009 or 2010. We are a welcoming group that is looking to add some new blood and excitement.

Join this group and benefit from several wicked smart mentors. If you are looking for experienced Ironman finishers in your group, we may be for you - OR - If you are just starting in the sport, we are a fun welcoming group evenly divided between men and women and we are ALL a lot of fun. FYI, there are female IM finishers and male IM finishers - we don't discriminate.

Family: Married with an adult daughter

Current Training/2013 Races: Half Marathon, Olympic triathlon, Half Ironman, Ironman and other epic endurance events.2010 Races: Disney half marathon, America's Run half, Texas Independence Relay (203 miles), CapTexTri, Austin Triathlon, LiveStrong Challenge, Tour de Cure, Ironman Florida and a few others.

2011 Races - Austin Half Marathon, Tour de Cure, CapTexTri, Make a Wish Ride, Toyota US Open Triathlon, Ironman Arizona.

2012 Races - 5 Half Marathons, several cycling events from 50-75 miles, CapTexTri, Toyota US Open Triathlon as a relay ( first one - very cool). And a bunch of other stuff. I was supposed to do Ironman Canada but a bike wreck ruined that plan.

Weightloss: 40 pounds in less than 36 months - keeping it off

What makes me a good mentor: The other people in the group....LOL....we have fun. Seriously, we have history. Once you are in the group and we close it, we will move you all to our base group which i currently in the archives. Dont worry i will get you there and not lose you. We also have a BIG historical site for your reading enjoyment where there are over 260 pages of posts equalling over 4000 messages which you will want to read....there's history in there and a TON of answers to your questions.So, fire away, all questions are appropriate and will be answered....come join us....tell me who you are and why you want to join our team.

Bryan

Edited by left.right.repeat 2013-01-14 10:02 AM

2013-01-06 12:42 AM
in reply to: #4556523

Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - OPEN for the sixth year in 2013 - come check us out

Hello Bryan,

I would like to join your group.  I am 50 yrs. old, I have been married for 26 yrs., a father of three adult children.

A couple years ago I started running again, since then I have run a marathon and a couple half marathon's.  I will be running the Surf City half with my 18 yr. old son next month, and the OKC Marathon with my 21 yr. old daughter end of April. I would really like to take my fitness and training to the next level.  I have never done a triathlon, but there are couple "sprints" in March I would like to enter and an Olympic in mid April.  I could use some help.

Thanks,  Steve

Edited by Steve Irwin 5 2013-01-09 9:25 PM
2013-01-06 2:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - OPEN for the sixth year in 2013 - come check us out

Hello Bryan:

I would like to join your group. I have been competing in triathlons for several years now. I completed IMAZ in 2009 and attempted IMSG in 2010 (DNF'd after having an absolutely terrible swim leading to a terrible bike.) I have completed several HIMs, sprints and olys. This year, I am focusing on HIMs with a goal to try to qualify for Worlds on my home turf here in Las Vegas. I look forward to getting reacquanited with BT and learning from the group.

Molly

Edited by molly@rosenblumlawlv 2013-01-06 2:21 PM
2013-01-06 3:24 PM

Hello Bryan,Your group sounds fun! I am 50 years old and am very interested in raising my fitness level to a point that I can compete in all types of triathlon events.I am currently living in Spain am twice married with adult children and a newborn son. I will be moving to Florida this summer and would like to be at a point with my fitness to be able to compete in a sprint triathlon somewhere in the region.I am an active Mountain Biker and have recently started running 5k a couple of times a week and could sure use some guidance in putting things together to understand how I can get fit an compete.Chris
2013-01-06 7:46 PM

The good news:  today I did my first swim and thought I was doing great... The bad news: while swimming I started to realize that there will be no walls and no bottom to rest on and panic set in.  I live in Michigan, mother of a 15 year old girl (shouldn't that be training enough for anything?Embarassed) and a 13 year old boy.  Intense job as a VP of marketing and customer experience.  Awesome and supportive husband.  Before kids, ran a couple of marathons, rode bicycle across the country--coast to coast--and went to a 10 day meditation camp--complete silence (for me that was THE biggest challenge!).  Recent past; 10Ks, lots of yoga, P90X, boxing, hiking, winter sports.  Last year did an intense hiking, yoga detox thing for a week.  This year, an Olympic distance Triathlon in Florida.  Before today's swim I was afraid of sharks and jellyfish and people smacking me at the start.  After today's swim I am really concerned about my abilty to do this, though remaining positive--this is day one of a four month training on a decent base.  But I think a mentor would be great for me. 

Will you provide the next bit of good news and allow me to join your group?

2013-01-07 11:17 AM

User image

Subject: Please Delete Post....

Edited by RunningReenie 2013-01-09 2:42 PM

2013-01-07 11:34 AM

Well, I  reckon there's nothing like jumping in with both feet so here I go.

I've decided to give myself a challenge this year. I'm 42 years old, work p/t from home and am a Mom.

Our local rec center is putting on a  Sprint Tri,  so  I thought why not. I can bike  fairly well, I'll be able to train on the route as its local. My swimming, I can stay afloat but I know  I'll need to work up to the distance (yes, I know its short but I mainly do the summer swim with my daughter which involves floating around because its hot out!). I have never been a runner, I used to enjoy the 100m and 200 m at school and played womans rugby for  many years  because it involved short quick sprints, Saying that  I am willing to give it a go. I did 4 years ago decide to 'do' a marathon, having done no races whatsoever, I walked the entire thing in 5 hours and 45 minutes.  I do have a fierce will power.  I have no problem coming in last, My biggest goal is to Finish. (and if a side effect is a bit more toned me with a better weight, I won't be found complaining either)

Hope I'm in the right group and you can cope with me!

Karen

2013-01-08 10:33 PM

Molly,

I see you have done a few HIM's, I have never done a triathlon, I have run several half marathon's and a marathon last year.  I plan to do a couple sprints and an olympic this spring and would like to do a HIM in August ,what is your opinion, is it doable?

I am 50 yrs. old and my training schedule has to be flexible due to family and work, with that said, I'm very motivated and goal driven.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,  Steve

2013-01-10 2:58 PM

User image

Hi Bryan - I joined your group late last season and I would love to be a part of the 2013 group. I am not sure that I have to rejoin but I feel that I am so new that I will introduce myself again.

I am married and a father of two boys from upstate NY. I completed my first tri, the NYC Triathlon in 2011, and I have been hooked ever since. I have completed a few sprint distances and a couple of olympic distances. But my ultimate goal is the finish an Ironman. I am building up to that goal, having plans to complete two HIM's this year. 

I could use the extra advice, starting with a good program for swim training for the 1.2 distance. I would like to build more confidence in that area.

Thanks!

Steve

2013-01-10 9:18 PM

New user

my name is connie

this is my first tri-sprint

my goal is to complete it this summer.

i have 3 adult children

for the past 2 years i have told myself i will start training for a tri after i lose the weight. this year i decided enough was enough. so i have started using the michael pate's 22 week sprint training program

i am a person with no athletic ability, but willing to learn how to become a great triathlete

2013-01-11 4:25 AM

User image

Veteran

I would like to join your group.  I got into triathlons last year because I was looking for a healthier balance of workouts rather than just running.  I completed 2 sprints and an Oly.  This year my A race is Door County Half Ironman Distance Triathlon.  

I am also middle aged, 46, married, with an almost 9 year old daughter.  My daughter did two kids tri's last year and several 5k's.  It is really fun now that she is old enough to do some training and racing with me. My family also includes four cats and an English Bulldog named Zelda. 

I'm more of a reader of posts than a frequent poster, so don't worry if I'm quiet.Wink

Lynne

2013-01-11 3:35 PM

Bryan -

I'd be interested in joining your group. I have never done a triathalon before, and the longest endurance event I did recently was the NYC marathon 3 years ago. So, I decided to ease into this and sign up for a half Ironman, and a full Ironman. I'm 39 now, in pretty good shape, and determined to finish the events I have signed up for. So the best thing I can do is learn from those who have done all this before me. 2013 will be my fittest year to date.

Brian

2013-01-12 8:58 AM

User image

El Paso, TX
Bryan, I would like to join your group.  I'm 38 years old and started doing triathlons at the end of last year. I have done two sprints and would like to train for longer distances but need a lot of work on swimming.  I'm not overweight by most standards but would like to lose 5-10 pounds of fat and replace it with muscle.  I have a family with two young children and am currently in the Army and stationed at Ft. Bliss, TX.
2013-01-12 9:19 AM

User image

Hello Bryan,

I would be interested in joining your group.  I have yet to complete a triathlon, but would love to do at least one.  Actually I would like to complete Half Marathon in May, 10 mile run in June, International Triathlon in June and a Danskin Triathlon in August.  Thank you and have a great day!

2013-01-12 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4569204

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Steve Irwin 5 - 2013-01-08 8:33 PM

Molly,

I see you have done a few HIM's, I have never done a triathlon, I have run several half marathon's and a marathon last year.  I plan to do a couple sprints and an olympic this spring and would like to do a HIM in August ,what is your opinion, is it doable?

I am 50 yrs. old and my training schedule has to be flexible due to family and work, with that said, I'm very motivated and goal driven.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,  Steve

Hey Steve:

I too had a running backgroundwhen I started triathlons and like you, my first season, I did a few sprints and finished my season with the Silverman HIM. It is totally doable but you need to commit to your training and I cannot stress enough that you listen to your body. I used the BT training programs but was also fortunate enough to have a coach that really helped me through my programs. Really though, if you have a decent base of fitness completing the HIM should be no problem - if your goal is to just finish you should be just fine.

Molly

2013-01-12 9:35 PM

Thank you Molly, I needed the encouragement!

Steve

2013-01-13 12:40 PM

Extreme Veteran

All of you are IN!!!!!

Sorry I have not been here this week....didn't know my group had opened...and I have been out of town. ...now it looks like we may be full already....that is awesome.  I am going to go read all about you all and will post a bit more soon.

Welcome to the group.  You will find I travel a bit and my whole group will work with each of you....we will have a great year.

Bryan

2013-01-13 1:04 PM

Extreme Veteran

Here are some initial thoughts....

Steve Irwin - If you are riding at all right now - spin class maybe - you can complete the Oly in April.  Even if you are not, as a runner I think we can have you ready...it just may hurt.  As far as the half in the fall - also doable but let's talk about it further as you progress.  You don't have to do all of this in one year although I know I am talking to driven people here and we think we can do anything.  You will all find that I am more interested in your enjoyment and overall health than I am pushing you to finish everything this year and us dealing with injuries.  Let's look at it as we go.

Molly - IMAZ 2009 was one of the greatest days of my life.  I am honored to have shared the course with you.  As far as IMSG - everything I hear is that is one bada$$ race.  Remember DNF is okay....you at least started and you kept yourself healthy to fight another day.  1/2s this year is a great idea.  We will have fun.

Chris - a sprint is definitely doable.  As a mountain biker and already running 5ks your transition should be an enjoyable one.  It will be fun trying some new things.

KGLevine - you will be fine.  Maybe a shark, maybe a jelly - no biggie, just don't look appetizing and the shark will move on....if you encounter a jelly - it will take your mind off how long the swim really is......actually, we will get you through it....remind me to tell you about my first swim workout that was a full 37.5 yards....that was IT....37.5 yards....and I thought the swim would be easy.  Also the salt water helps with bouyancy.

Karen - walking a full marathon takes guts.  You will also be fine.  Jumping in with both feet is the best way to swim, bike or run....welcome to the craziness.

Steve - welcome back buddy - you are in...no worries....  check out the website....http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html

Connie - how exciting...what a great year....you will never forget your first sprint - welcome to the group.

Lynne - welcome aboard as you drive the year to your HIM...we will be along for the ride...as far as quiet....don't be...jump in...we are here to help but you will also find we are all friends helping friends.

Brian - well if nothing else you are aggressive....we will work on your half and full and see where we go....when is the half and which full?

?****? - your schedule may also be a bit aggressive but let's talk about it further as we go through the next couple of weeks.  What are your current workouts like?

Dunewb - Hello fellow Texan - we can get you to longer distances...for me they are actually more enjoyable than sprints all the time.

2013-01-13 1:19 PM

Extreme Veteran

I am going to leave the group open a few more days as some of you who originally asked to join may have moved on since I didn't reply very quickly...hopefully you all still want to be here but I understand if anyone has found another group they would like to work with this year. 

Here are a couple of things I will share with you that I have learned doing this for 5 years....

First, you get out of this more than you put in BUT if you get involved, dive in, share, ask questions, talk about your successes and challenges...you WILL get a MILLION times more out of this group.  You will find when we migrate over to the base group that there are a ton of people to help and encourage you - you will have friends all over the country...it is a blast...and someday, when you show up at a race where one of your fellow LRR mates is racing I promise you will feel like you have a great friend there sharing the race with you.  I have been fortunate to meet several of the folks in the group and I can assure you they are a great group of people.

Second, always sign off your posts with your real name (unless you are in the witness protection program and cannot share) if you are willing.  It gives the group a chance to get to know you as something other than just your handle.

Third, after your name, list your next race and your big race of the year and the dates - months are fine...so we can keep up with you as we get to know you.  You can do this as a "signature" that automatically posts when you do.

Fourth, be active - get outside when you can.  I know weather can be tough right now but do it as you can.

Fifth - log your work - do it here or elsewhere but log it - it will make a difference. 

Sixth - learn RULE NUMBER ONE - NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY.  You will hear that a LOT from me but just know - NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY - if your significant other wants to get you a fancy new trisuit - I applaud them (don't buy white) but get it a week or two early and use it before the race - you want to be sure it fits correctly and doesn't chafe.  Not even socks - no new sox on race day....can you say Blisters?...there I thought you could.

And the over-arching tenet of doing these crazy events and being part of this group -

HAVE FUN

if you are not into having fun, if you are a negative person unwilling to be positive, if you cannot lighten up on yourself from time to time, if every event is about a personal best or being on the podium, this group may not be for you.....trust me, I am going to have fun, we are going to win (the race against ourselves) and we are going to be human beings with work and families while we do this.....triathlon and other endurance sports can be "selfish" - they can take a LOT of time...you spouse and family needs to be on board...we want them involved...whether they ultimately choose to compete themselves, volunteer, sherpa or even stay home with the kids...you will reach a point at some time where you are glad they are "in" with you.  If we handle this right, you will be better at work and better at home as well as being a better person....

Welcome to the wackiness - enjoy the ride...

By the way, if anyone wants out now, I understand and I am okay with that....if you keep posting, I assume you are IN.

Bryan

2013-01-13 1:29 PM

Extreme Veteran

One other thing for those new to BT, you can go to the bottom area of the page under ACTIONS and click "toggle email notifications" to get an email each time somebody posts on here...just a little trick to keep up to date.

Bryan

2013-01-13 3:52 PM

Orlando

I am very new to this but I would love to be a member of this group.

I would love any suggestions and coments to help me in my upcoming fitness goals

2/10 - half marathon

3/10 -sprint tri

5/5-international tri (maybe)

I am a total newbie.. as of january 1 2012 I was 287 and a 2 pack a day smoker.  Now after a year of quitting smoking (did that in Jan 1) and dropped 80 pounds. 
I have ran 5 5k's and have been training like a madman!

Hope to do a full ironman by the end of 2014

Lou

2013-01-13 4:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV

Hi all:

Just thought I would share that it is FREEZING in Las Vegas. Yup a solid 24 degrees when I woke up this morning. I know many of you live in places that are much colder, but I chose the desert and the heat. YIKES it was cold to run outside today. 10 miles but I got it done. I congratulate you all who live where it is much colder and you get it done day in and day out. I dont know how you do it but keep it up.

Molly

2013-01-13 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4576367

User image

El Paso, TX

Lou,

That's awesome! I was a smoker for years and know how hard it is to give up.

Sean

Missleman Duathlon 02 Feb

No big race planned yet

2013-01-13 4:07 PM

Orlando

Thanks!

Yes it was a challenge, but that is behind me thankfully. 

Now after I get the half marathon behind me I will feel a ton better

2013-01-13 6:52 PM

User image

Bryan...current workout schedule for January is...

Monday...Run, Abs & Toning, Cycle

Tuesday & Thursday...Swim, Boot Camp, Run, Cycle

Wednesday & Friday...Swim, Run, Abs & Toning, Cycle

Saturday & Sunday...Run

I think that covers it for January.  

Way to go Lou!  Molly you are very brave...as I have yet to face the freezing weather...I tend to run indoors when it is cold like that. (because I am a baby...there I said it Wink)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for our sixth season - we will reopen in Jan 2014 Rss Feed  

of 5