Herald, California
United States
TBF Racing
Total Time = 1h 18m 42s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I did this race with my 10yo daughter Ani, it was her first "grown up" triathlon after doing several kids tri's in the past. She did a summer of swim team so I wasn't worried about her being able to make it, but I was a little nervous about the bike since about 1/2 of the ride is on a 2 lane highway with no real shoulder, and it's open to the public during the race. For this reason I told her she could do it, but I was going to do it with her. At her pace of course, I'd just settle in and be right there with/slightly behind her.
Event warmup:

not really. A little swimming to loosen up the arms and get used to the wetsuit again.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 400 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Fun fun! Ani did great, I followed her most of the way but did pull along side along the backstretch cause she was starting to drift off course. I just told her to stay on my side until the next bouy, then it's an easy shot into shore. That worked well. She's a good swimmer! I had a wetsuit. It made it a pretty even match. :-)
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

she smoked me in transition since I had to strip of the wetsuit. She just popped on her helmet and shoes, grabbed her bike and left. I told her to take off, and that I'd catch her before the highway portion.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 8 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I blasted at 100% until I caught Ani, pulled up to say hi, then dropped in behind her. no drama here, she's a good rider. I just cruised behind her and smiled every time someone yelled encouraging stuff to her, which was constantly! Pretty cool.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

She kicked my butt in transition again. I have to swap shoes, she just parked the bike and took off. This time I wasn't so confident that I could catch her, but told her to go for it and I'd do my best!
Run
  • 00m
  • 2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Fortunately for me, she walked the first water station to get a quick drink (she doesn't drink on the bike yet) and I caught here there. From there we ran together the whole way. 2 miles is a pretty long run for her, especially after a swim and bike, but she did great! We did walk once or twice to have a little water at the stations, but mostly she just settled into a nice pace and kept on going. Again, it was awesome to hear everyone, competitors and fans alike, cheering ani on. She was the youngest competitor in the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Great race, the run through the chute was crazy cool. I've done a few triathlons, and so has Ani, but this was different. Her first "real" triathlon (her words). I could not have been any more proud. She got a trophy even, finishing 3rd of three in under 19 female.

Event comments:

I love TBFracing.com

Great family friendly events, camping on site, they do it right.

Last updated: 2013-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 400 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: