General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transplanting Triathletes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-02 1:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Subject: Transplanting Triathletes
Hey Floridian Triathletes-

Our family is relocating from northwestern Ohio (Toledo) to the Ft Myers area for my husband's work.

One thing we've noted already is it seems your tri season is different- Midwest we train starting in January, race April through October, then rest November/December. It looks like your rest months are June/July? Is this right?

I'm looking for any info you want to share with us. My husband is on an off year from Ironman (IM FL 2011, IM Wisconsin 2012) and I booked my A races before the move (Flying Pig 3 way, Cincinnati, ohio and beach to battleship half, NC). What races do you recommend? What is the kids triathlon scene like (our 10 year old loves to do tris). If you are a transplant yourself, what do you wish someone had told you? We've heard we should give ourselves a good year to get settled in.

We also are leaving a strong Triathlon Club (300 strong)...anyone belong to tri clubs down there? Or do you just find friends and train?

Any information you can share would be great. I'm looking forward already to swimming in clear water versus the murky and often high-bacteria-level lakes we are used to up here.

2013-01-02 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4558153

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Transplanting Triathletes
AKR18 - 2013-01-02 1:06 PMHey Floridian Triathletes-Our family is relocating from northwestern Ohio (Toledo) to the Ft Myers area for my husband's work.One thing we've noted already is it seems your tri season is different- Midwest we train starting in January, race April through October, then rest November/December. It looks like your rest months are June/July? Is this right?I'm looking for any info you want to share with us. My husband is on an off year from Ironman (IM FL 2011, IM Wisconsin 2012) and I booked my A races before the move (Flying Pig 3 way, Cincinnati, ohio and beach to battleship half, NC). What races do you recommend? What is the kids triathlon scene like (our 10 year old loves to do tris). If you are a transplant yourself, what do you wish someone had told you? We've heard we should give ourselves a good year to get settled in.We also are leaving a strong Triathlon Club (300 strong)...anyone belong to tri clubs down there? Or do you just find friends and train? Any information you can share would be great. I'm looking forward already to swimming in clear water versus the murky and often high-bacteria-level lakes we are used to up here.
Welcome to Florida! I can't help you with the Ft Myers tri club scene since I'm in Orlando, but I can tell you that our tri season is very long and there are lots of races in July and August. Just be prepared to be hot. Really hot. You may want to check out multi race.com. It puts on many races, although its concentration is south florida it does have some stuff on the west coast. St. Anthony's is also a popular race, as is escape to fort desoto. They are in the st Pete area, so not too far from you. REV3 puts on a HIM in the Sarasota area too.I'm sure people from your new neck of the woods will chime in with other races, but in the mean time you should check out the race forum. It should give you an idea of just how many races florida has almost all year long.
2013-01-02 6:15 PM
in reply to: #4558551

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
I'm in Miami, so I can't help you with Ft. Myers, but welcome to Flordia and I hope you like here as much as I have for the last 30 years. Good luck
2013-01-04 6:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Thanks for the feedback!!

Will check out those races for sure- especially escape fort desoto!!!

2013-01-06 8:43 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Welcome to FL.  We lived in Sylvania back in the mid-70's when I first got out of school.  We've been in Sarasota since 1986.

Lot of tri activity here on the gulf coast, particularly in the Tampa area.

The tri season usually kicks off with St. Anthony's in May and continues through October, but you can find races almost year 'round.  (Our local club holds a beginner's sprint race on Super Bowl Sunday every year.)  There are races within easy driving distance almost every weekend from June through September. 

Most folks down still look at November through March as the "off season" and focus more on base training rather than racing. 

As mentioned previously, getting used to the heat during summer races may be a challenge at first.

There are a number of tri clubs around, but not sure about Ft Myers specifically.  Might want to check with the LBS's and with the local Y.

Mark

2013-01-07 7:29 AM

User image

Regular

Welcome to Ft. Myers!  My wife and I have been here since 2004.  Ft. Myers does not have a triathlon club, however there is "Naples Area Triathletes". They have a web page that is fair with info and a facebook page that they are very active with (https://www.facebook.com/NaplesAreaTriathletes  . Depending on where you are moving in Ft.  Myers, Naples can be anywhere from a 30 -90 minute drive (depending on "seasonal traffic"). 

In Ft. Myers there is the Ft. Myers Track Club and they put on a majority of the local 5k / 10K, and a couple half marathons.  They also have a summer program for the full time residents that is great. they can be found at ( http://www.ftmyerstrackclub.com/ 

As far as cycling there is the Caloosa Riders.  They have a ton of group rides and put on some additional events as well. they can be found at ( http://www.caloosariders.org/ .

Swimming.  I recommend Ft. Myers Beach.  Nice wide open, fairly shallow water that can be swam in year round if you have a wetsuit, most of the the year without.  There are a handful of pools in the area that offer masters programs, although I do not use them. I really enjoy the beach when I can.

As far as thriathlons for kids, in September is the Galloway Captiva Tri.  I did this event last year and it was fantastic.  http://www.captivatri.com/  There is also another event that I have not done that is in early October on Marco Island (about 90 minutes from Ft. Myers).

2013-02-03 8:54 PM
in reply to: #4565536

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
WOW! Awesome info- thank you!!!

It is going to take us awhile to get used to open water ocean swimming....are their groups that get together and do this? Just curious. I'm so used to pool swimming and will probably find a masters program.

We are renting for a year just north of Estero. Can't wait to get down there- it's snowy and cold up here!
2013-02-04 7:27 AM

User image

Veteran

Just want to say welcome to Florida! You're going to love it since you can train and race year-round. In terms of when the "off season" is, I find most people do their last race in October or early November then do running events Jan-March and then start back up in tris in March or April.

I usually do off season Nov-Dec because I just want to enjoy the holidays. I am thinking of taking another one this summer though to re-energize for late season racing.

2013-02-04 9:12 AM

User image

Regular

These folks seem to host everything swimming related in the area.

http://www.t2aquatics.com/Home.jsp?team=flt2

Also the Naples Area Triathletes seem to have some sort of organized swims, they are just a bit far for me to get to.  In Estero, I am sure Bonita Beach will be a great place, that is super close, to get any OWS you need in.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transplanting Triathletes Rss Feed