United States
Salt Creek Rural Park District
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 39m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Made sure all my "stuff" was ready the night before and packed it all in my backpack. Then I said a little chant to try and avert the imminent rain that was coming. It went something like "no rain, no rain, no rain....." It didn't work. Got up around 4:15 and had some toast with peanut butter and jelly along with a couple cups of coffee. Showered, grabbed by stuff and was out the door. There was a nice little drizzle going on. Yuck.
Event warmup:

I got to the place around 5:20 or so. I thought parking would be an issue but we found a spot right away. Walked our bikes to the transition area and found a couple spots. (I was with a buddy of mine from college). We body marked ourselves (I felt like such an outlaw doing that). By the time I got my stuff set up, hit the pot o potty and got the westsuit on they were starting the pre-race announcements so I never got to warm up in the water.
Swim
  • 12m 38s
  • 800 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started in the back of the pack, which is my custom. I found myself gaining to the middle by the end. I took a good elbow to the head. Ouch. Somebody was passing me and just caught me right on the top of the head. That's always a nice good morning. I kept trying to touch the bottom at the end but you couldn't touch until your were like 4 feet from the shore. Quite a drop off.
What would you do differently?:

Be more diligent about my stroke. About halfway through I abaondoned the freestyle and did most of the rest with my head above water. Practice with the wetsuit on more. I always feels like it constricts my breathing. Just need more experience.
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

Not too bad. I took my time, which is my habit.

Move my butt a little faster.
Bike
  • 42m 36s
  • 14.2 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike actually went pretty well. Had some hairy turns where I was kind of hanging on hoping I wouldn't slip. The best part was literally eating the dirty street water flying up from the back tire of whoever was in front of me. mmmmm mmmmmm.

Ride faster. Had to be cautious though with the wet slippery streets.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

This went pretty well. Probably could have gone faster. I actually had to pour the water out of my running shoes. Yuck.
Run
  • 41m 11s
  • 4.9 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good on the run. I wish I would have started out a little harder. I really took it easy and then tried to make up for it near the end.

Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around and talked my friend Rob, had some bagels and Gatorade. Rob had to find bandaids for his bloody heels. He didn't wear any socks for the run and paid the price. Ouch.

Event comments:

This event was extremely well organized and ran without a hitch, even with the inclimate weather. I hope to be back next year. And I wish I would have been able to meet fellow BTers there. Hangloose tried to call me but I left the cell at home. One of these days. It would be nice to find some training friends in the area too.
Great race!!!!!

Last updated: 2006-06-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:38 | 800 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: The swim was in a small lake with an island. So the swim was out, around the island and back. It was a small lake so there were no waves at all.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:36 | 14.2 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:41:11 | 04.9 miles | 08m 24s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: The course was very nice and there was a great part that went through a forest preserve.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-06-27 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
Subject: Twin Lakes Sprint Triathlon

2006-06-27 1:19 PM
in reply to: #467505

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Subject: RE: Twin Lakes Sprint Triathlon

Nice race.

As for rainwater in the shoes, consider this idea....pack a garbage bag in your race bag (just in case of rain) and either put your shoes in it or put the bag over your shoes.

Had rain at the Bigfoot tri on Sunday also and but my backpack in the garbage bag and that on top of my shoes. Dry shoes for the run.

2006-06-27 1:33 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Great job!  For not getting to warm up at all and probably feeling rushed you still did a great job on the swim.  Geez, we had almost the same finishing time, I wonder if we finished close together on the course. 

I was mad at myself for forgetting a plastic bag but I covered my stuff with an extra towel and that actually worked pretty well.  Now that I think of I could have even grabbed one of the rubber mats from my car.  Oh well.  Mark it up for next time, right?

Was't the support great?  All the volunteers and the police did a great job of controlling traffic, I thought.  It was like we owned the roads.  Like you, I was impressed with the organization of the event.

Hope to see you at another event.  Good luck.

2006-06-27 3:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
Wait a minute!! Is that picture from the race on Sunday? I remember the guy right in front of me picking up his kids to cross the finish line. I think we finished together - hangloose.
2006-06-27 3:46 PM
in reply to: #467729

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

esmies - 2006-06-27 3:14 PM Wait a minute!! Is that picture from the race on Sunday? I remember the guy right in front of me picking up his kids to cross the finish line. I think we finished together - hangloose.

Yes it was.  You were probably thinking, "get out of my way jacka$$, haven't you ever done a tri before?"

Sorry I missed you.  I really sprinted hard that last stretch and then at the last minute saw my kids.  I stopped kind of suddenly, hope I didn't cut you off.

2006-06-27 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
Not at all......I was actually thinking, "what a great photo op" and it turns out it was. Congrats again for finishing your first. You did great. 10 times better than I did on my first.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Twin Lakes Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed