General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So I changed the battery in my watch and went swimming... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-03 1:09 AM

Subject: So I changed the battery in my watch and went swimming...

you can imagine what happened.  I didn't close the cover properly and the inside flooded.  The battery seems to have exploded, there's black gunk leaking from the seams.

Everything's drying now.  What are the chances of this thing ever working again? Frown

gosh darn it, it was pretty new too.

Any recommendations for a new watch? nothing fancy like a HRM or anything, just a simple timer.  I'm tired of Timex Ironmans, whenever I change batteries I can never get the beeps to work.  And thats when I change the battery properly Tongue out.  Plus the cover is impossible to put back on (hence this post) without seeming to break the bands off.

Edited by Axis of Weasel 2013-01-03 1:12 AM

2013-01-03 1:53 AM
in reply to: #4559270

Subject: RE: So I changed the battery in my watch and went swimming...

Axis of Weasel - 2013-01-03 1:09 PMWhat are the chances of this thing ever working again? Frown

Somewhere between slim and none.

And probably much closer to none.

2013-01-03 5:40 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Axis of Weasel - 2013-01-03 12:09 AM

you can imagine what happened.  I didn't close the cover properly and the inside flooded.  The battery seems to have exploded, there's black gunk leaking from the seams.

Everything's drying now.  What are the chances of this thing ever working again? Frown

gosh darn it, it was pretty new too.

Any recommendations for a new watch? nothing fancy like a HRM or anything, just a simple timer.  I'm tired of Timex Ironmans, whenever I change batteries I can never get the beeps to work.  And thats when I change the battery properly Tongue out.  Plus the cover is impossible to put back on (hence this post) without seeming to break the bands off.

No offense, but maybe next time just get the professionals to change it.  They pretty much do it for free and just charge for the battery.  It seems like you could use the assistance.

2013-01-03 5:53 AM

User image

NE Ohio
Put it in a bag of rice!
2013-01-03 6:18 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
I think once the plastics starts to melt it's beyond rice ....
2013-01-03 7:37 AM

User image

Regular
I use a basic Timex and got 3++ yrs at least out of my first one. I also tried to change the battery and go swimming, well it also got water in it. I was not surprised although I correctly replaced the back and gasket. Just figured it's Timex' way to get you to purchase another one.

I bought another basic Timex due to the fact that I got at least 3 years out of it and only paid $30 or so. I call that reliable.

Tom

2013-01-03 7:43 AM

User image

Regular

I had the guy at the jewelry counter change mine and he didn't do any better.  The battery didn't explode but the watch had so much condensation in it, I couldn't read it.  I tried to keep using it, but finally had to buy another one.  Mine was just a $30 timex ironman.  Now when I need a new battery, I just buy a new watch.  Sometimes they are on sale for $19.99.  And they usually last for about 2 years.  

jami

2013-01-03 8:28 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

You won't find a better deal than just continuing to purchase Timex Ironman watches when yours wear out.

FWIW you can also send the watch to Timex to have THEM change the battery...it's fairly reasonably priced.  It will eventually get condensation in it anyway, but it takes longer than if you have the battery changed by any other method.

Honestly though, the watches are what?  $35-$50 even for the nice ones I use for swimming (sleek 50 lap).  They last me at least 2-3 years.  I spent double that on a pair of running shoes that only lasts 6 months...perspective.  I have no idea why people think watches are supposed to last longer...

2013-01-03 8:28 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Timex Ironman watches are a disposable product. Three plus years out of a $35 watch. When the battery dies the watch goes in the garbage and a new one gets purchased. They usually are all beat to hades anyways by the time the battery goes. $1/month is pretty cheap for anything. I once had one die in the first year of ownership. Now I check the UPC label closely before I purchase. Somewhere on there you can find a number that tells you what year they were manufactured so you don't buy one that has been sitting on the shelf for two years.

Just my 2 cents.
2013-01-03 9:05 AM
in reply to: #4559522

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

wannabefaster - 2013-01-03 9:28 AM Timex Ironman watches are a disposable product. Three plus years out of a $35 watch. When the battery dies the watch goes in the garbage and a new one gets purchased. They usually are all beat to hades anyways by the time the battery goes. $1/month is pretty cheap for anything. I once had one die in the first year of ownership. Now I check the UPC label closely before I purchase. Somewhere on there you can find a number that tells you what year they were manufactured so you don't buy one that has been sitting on the shelf for two years. Just my 2 cents.

Or... send it to the manufacturer and for $10 plus a couple bucks shipping and they send you a refurbed one. I use the 100 lap which is about $50 retail so it's well worth it to send it back.

2013-01-03 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4559522

User image

Payson, AZ

wannabefaster - 2013-01-03 7:28 AM Timex Ironman watches are a disposable product. Three plus years out of a $35 watch. When the battery dies the watch goes in the garbage and a new one gets purchased. They usually are all beat to hades anyways by the time the battery goes. $1/month is pretty cheap for anything. I once had one die in the first year of ownership. Now I check the UPC label closely before I purchase. Somewhere on there you can find a number that tells you what year they were manufactured so you don't buy one that has been sitting on the shelf for two years. Just my 2 cents.

Wow, your rough on your watches.  I've had the same watch for like 20 years or so.  I am not sure I would call them disposable though.  They are not going to just disappear once you throw it away

2013-01-03 9:58 AM
in reply to: #4559683

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I have either lost or ruined my Timex lap watches before the batteries needed replacing.  Chlorine is hard on the straps and I ended up getting a bit of moisture in another.  Oh well.  Fine with me because I like buying new things
2013-01-03 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4559610

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
mrbbrad - 2013-01-03 9:05 AM

wannabefaster - 2013-01-03 9:28 AM Timex Ironman watches are a disposable product. Three plus years out of a $35 watch. When the battery dies the watch goes in the garbage and a new one gets purchased. They usually are all beat to hades anyways by the time the battery goes. $1/month is pretty cheap for anything. I once had one die in the first year of ownership. Now I check the UPC label closely before I purchase. Somewhere on there you can find a number that tells you what year they were manufactured so you don't buy one that has been sitting on the shelf for two years. Just my 2 cents.

Or... send it to the manufacturer and for $10 plus a couple bucks shipping and they send you a refurbed one. I use the 100 lap which is about $50 retail so it's well worth it to send it back.

Yes, I have two of these that I rotate. When the band on one starts to show wear I send the other off with $10. In less than two weeks I get the refurb and put the worn other on the side until next time, when I repeat the process. Been doing this for years.
2013-01-03 10:49 AM
in reply to: #4559844

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I will attempt to change the battery myself.  So far, so good.  You just have to be maticulous with the replacement of the gasket and cover.
2013-01-03 11:00 AM

I have 2 timex watches one is probably 7 years old and the battery has been replaced a couple of times. The other is 1.5 years old and on it's original battery. I usually stick to the timex because I don't want to learn a new interface.

I have not had an issue with batteries my issue is with bands the plastic/rubber ones seem to crack and break after awhile and it is hard to find the correct replacement. My older one is a nylon?/fabric?/velcro band that has held up well but it needs to be sanitized every could of months, it has a slight orange tint from cleaning it with iodine, steam also works.

2013-01-03 11:03 AM
in reply to: #4559919

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Sidney Porter - 2013-01-03 9:00 AM

I have 2 timex watches one is probably 7 years old and the battery has been replaced a couple of times. The other is 1.5 years old and on it's original battery. I usually stick to the timex because I don't want to learn a new interface.

I have not had an issue with batteries my issue is with bands the plastic/rubber ones seem to crack and break after awhile and it is hard to find the correct replacement. My older one is a nylon?/fabric?/velcro band that has held up well but it needs to be sanitized every could of months, it has a slight orange tint from cleaning it with iodine, steam also works.

That's not the first time I heard the complaint.  Why is that?  I have had mine for years and don't get that problem.  Climate?  I live in the dessert, so I figured it would dry out evey faster and crack.  I swim with mine, but no salt water.  I also wear mine almost 24/7.

Edited by Kido 2013-01-03 11:03 AM

2013-01-03 2:20 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
the bear - 2013-01-03 11:36 AM

Yes, I have two of these that I rotate. When the band on one starts to show wear I send the other off with $10. In less than two weeks I get the refurb and put the worn other on the side until next time, when I repeat the process. Been doing this for years.

Thanks. I had no idea. How cool is that? My current watch is doing just fine but I will remember this when it dies.
2013-01-03 2:50 PM
in reply to: #4559683

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
bzgl40 - 2013-01-03 9:38 AM

wannabefaster - 2013-01-03 7:28 AM Timex Ironman watches are a disposable product. Three plus years out of a $35 watch. When the battery dies the watch goes in the garbage and a new one gets purchased. They usually are all beat to hades anyways by the time the battery goes. $1/month is pretty cheap for anything. I once had one die in the first year of ownership. Now I check the UPC label closely before I purchase. Somewhere on there you can find a number that tells you what year they were manufactured so you don't buy one that has been sitting on the shelf for two years. Just my 2 cents.

Wow, your rough on your watches.  I've had the same watch for like 20 years or so.  I am not sure I would call them disposable though.  They are not going to just disappear once you throw it away

I am pretty careful with my gear.  I do swim a lot and I also wear the watch as my daily watch.  2-3 years out of a Timex is VERY good.  NO idea how you are pulling of 20...do you not use it in the pool?

2013-01-03 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4559931

User image

Kido - 2013-01-03 9:03 AM
Sidney Porter - 2013-01-03 9:00 AM

That's not the first time I heard the complaint.  Why is that?  I have had mine for years and don't get that problem.  Climate?  I live in the dessert, so I figured it would dry out evey faster and crack.  I swim with mine, but no salt water.  I also wear mine almost 24/7.

I sent mine back to Timext and they either fixed it or sent a new one for just a few bucks.  Done that twice now, once for a band, and once for one that died because I pressed a butoon while scuba diving.  woops

2013-01-07 1:56 PM

User image

El Paso, TX
the bear - 2013-01-03 9:36 AM

AWESOME !!!!!  This is great info! 

2013-01-07 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4560489

User image

Payson, AZ
jldicarlo - 2013-01-03 1:50 PM
bzgl40 - 2013-01-03 9:38 AM

I am pretty careful with my gear.  I do swim a lot and I also wear the watch as my daily watch.  2-3 years out of a Timex is VERY good.  NO idea how you are pulling of 20...do you not use it in the pool?

I wore it in the pool for years.  And salt water.  And many sweat sessions in the outdoors.  I am not sure I would have accussed me of swimming a lot back then though....

2013-01-07 3:10 PM

I use the timex ironman with heart rate monitor. When the battery went I also sent it back to timex with their $10 replacement battery fee. Two days later there was a box on my front stoop with a brand new timex ironman with heart rate monitor watch. Not bad considering my old watch was 8 years old.

Best leave changing the batteries in the water proof watches to the professionals. When done properly they actually have to repressurize the watch. Else next time you go in the pool and push a button under water the water gets sucked in no matter how well you seal the gasket.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So I changed the battery in my watch and went swimming... Rss Feed