BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants' Tri Gals- FULL and CLOSED and TRAINING! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2013-01-03 3:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Subject: FancyPants' Tri Gals- FULL and CLOSED and TRAINING!
WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now

GROUP FOCUS: Ladies Only, any distance, newbies and veterans welcome

NAME: AKR18- Anne

STORY: Wife, mom, sister, triathlete. Juggling 3 kids, a husband who races Ironman distance, and a big move from Ohio to Florida in March. Took last year off from mentoring but mentored before that and met some great ladies. First sprint tri was in 2008; trained even while pregnant with my third kiddo and loved passing guys at OWS with my big baby bump. Participate in our local masters swimming program and belong to our tri club. Last year (2012) was huge- I completed my first 70.3 (and had a HUGE nutrition issue but still finished) and then had THE PERFECT RACE at my first marathon, Marine Corps Marathon in DC. Tore my soleus muscle less than a month later at a 15k race and have JUST gotten back to training. Hoping our forum can be support for ladies of all levels and working towards all distances

FAMILY STATUS: Married- to a triathlete- not an easy task

CURRENT TRAINING: I am very zen in my training, compared to my super competitive husband.

2013 RACES: 2013 I will head back to Cincinnati for the Flying Pig and do their 3 Way challenge (5k and 10k on saturday, 13.1 one Sunday) and tackle the 70.3 distance for my second time at Beach to Battleship (hoping to avoid my huge nutrition issue from before). I'll toss some sprints and olympics in there for good measure as we go.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have a race weight and an off season weight, so i pretty much gain and lose the same ten pounds each year. But, starting triathlon did help me tone up and get healthy and initially lose about 20 pounds.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I will be checking workouts, leaving you inspires, and coming up with monthly challenges for our group to keep us focused and goal-oriented. I can help with choosing training plans; I've got an answer to almost every question, like what to (or not to) wear for your first tri, what equipment you really need to start the sport, what to buy once you are hooked, what to do to avoid injury, and what NOT to do nutritionwise during your first 70.3 (whoa did I learn the hard way).

Edited by AKR18 2013-01-10 7:22 AM

2013-01-04 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4560540

User image

Master
Subject: RE: FancyPants' Tri Gals- OPEN to Ladies only, please
I need a pair of FancyPants!  Can I join you?  
2013-01-07 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4562313

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Sure!

But our group is not live yet....we are totally breaking the rules.

*and I am okay with that
2013-01-07 9:53 PM

Hi Fancypants!  

I would love to join the group as well!  Finally aiming to realize my goal of doing a triathlon after thinking I never would be able to due to severe shin splints while running.  I changed my running form this past summer and it turned out to be a miracle fixer!  I haven't had problems since.

Thanks in advance,

Coty

2013-01-08 7:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
HOORAY!

We're live, and up to two!

Let's get some more!!!

-Anne (FancyPants)

I do have a challenge for This WEEK. I want everyone to try and be peach each day- meaning log SOME ACTIVITY each day. 10 minutes of just dance with your kids; walking the dog; yoga; and of course swim bike run.

It's a challenge for sure- but if you are not used to logging, this is a good way to get used to it. Or, if you are like me, and take November and December off, this will help you get back in the habit of using that training log!
2013-01-08 11:20 AM

User image

Master
I can't say that I did anything yesterday, but I will take that peach challenge for the remainder of the week.

2013-01-08 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4568060

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
EXCELLENT!

And just make it a week starting today, sound good?

Had my swim stuff in my gym bag just in case....I'm still trying to figure out my workouts for the week so I get into a routine. My littlest has two classes now and I normally lap swim T/Th. So today she had swimming lessons; then I did intervals on the inside track; and still got to do about 35 minutes of lap swim since I had that just in case swim stuff.

What has everyone done training wise or movement wise today?

Also- has anyone added anything new? Veterans? Winter is a great time to do something DIFFERENT if you are not training for a spring race. I am trying out a Cycle/Sculpt class tomorrow. I am NOTORIOUSLY Bad at classes. At 6 foot tall, with long legs and arms, I have been asked on several different occasions to not come back to aerobics classes (I'm not very coordinaated). I'm hoping tomorrow goes well- and also gives me some strength training, since I usually do strength training in winter (And slack off in the summer on that because I'm doing too much swim/bike/run). Last year my Something Different was Adult Beginner Ballet. Anyone else do something different for winter? Or thinking of it?
2013-01-08 12:26 PM

Oregon
I made it!!!! I am here!!! I don't have time to write at the moment but would like to join you.

Edited by maryew 2013-01-08 12:45 PM
2013-01-08 12:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Mary is IN!

So we are up to three. Make sure for awhile we all sign our names on posts......just so we get to know each other.

-anne
2013-01-08 1:55 PM

User image

Master

I only have one kidlet (8 yo), but his basketball is working in my favor this year.  There is a track above the basketball court.  SCORE!  I can watch the kidlet practice and walk/run.  Now if I could just get mapmyfitness to work in there.  

-Carla

2013-01-08 8:10 PM
in reply to: #4568416

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
UGh! I had that same issue today with map my run when I did intervals! good to know it is not just me!

2013-01-08 10:27 PM

New user

Hello ladies! I would like to join you if I may. My name is Lindley and I am a serious newbie. That said, I am also very committed. I got interested in tri sports last year when a sprint came to my town and several friends either did the while thing or teamed up for relay. I was pretty over weight (220, that's lbs!) but I started running. I ran a 5k in September and have begun adding the other sports over the last few weeks. I am down to 186, still a ways from my weight goal but I am having a blast!
I am currently training for a sprint in march. It is short so I am not to worried about the run. I have been taking swim classes that are starting to pay off. Plus its a pool swim so I am pretty confident about that part. Now for cycling...
I think I found a used road bike that is a good deal and fit for me. I have been going to spin class and riding my beach cruiser but the while road bike thing has me nervous! I don't even have a helmet!
I am 45, a wife (21 years), mom (2 boys, 12 and 16). I work full time and travel a lot. That's about it for me. I have been working out a lot but have been a slack logger.
I'll take your peach challenge if you'll have me fancypants!
2013-01-09 12:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA

Hi!  Is there still room for another gal? I'd love to join you ladies! 

NAME: EV3110 / Elena

STORY: I did a Half Mary with TNT back in 2009.  Once I completed that race I knew I was going to do more races and had insane thoughts of completing a triathlon. I always thought that "triathletess" were CRAZY!!!... they Swim....then bike....AND THEN run!!!???!....CRAZY.....Now I am one of them!   

FAMILY STATUS: I am 41 yrs old. Married with 2 Kids : Sophia 8 Tucker 6.  Husband is super hard-working. I have new doggie named Rooster. cat named Hooker (lol, its not what you think!), pig named Burrito, and several chickens. :D 

CURRENT TRAINING: Getting back to daily training.  Was happy with what training I did during the holidays until the last two weeks of December.  Did NADA.  And of course Xmas sweets & general overconsumption killed me.  Now its 2013 and have worked out the past 5 days in a row.  Yay!   Im ready to do this!!

Today I actually downloaded my HIM plan/calendar and jotted down some goals for 2013.  Looked at my 2012 #'s. Heres what 2012 totals: SWIM: 79,860 yd //BIKE: 1098 mi //RUN: 594mi 

Last Years RACES: Duathlon International, 2 Sprints, 2 Half Marys, Vineman Aquabike (1/2)    

2013 RACES: March: Duathlon International distance. April: 21 miler (thinking about this one).  May: Sprint.  July: Vineman HIM.  Im sure there will be several 10k's,mud runs, and another sprint or oly thrown in there too.

WEIGHTLOSS: Im a thin girl.  But like all women i have my trouble spot.  Mine is my belly. I like sugar and it goes DI-rectly to my belly.  So gross.  I'm about 140 lbs and get down to about 133 when training.  Id really like to be more consistent with my nutrition. Right now my nutrition is terrible.   

2013-01-09 10:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Welcome Elana and Trifitter!

So we are now up to....5 I think? We have room for more!

Nutrition.....can't write about it since I'm nomming on a cookie to erase the memory of spin class.....

Yes, hop on the peach challenge if you can- try to log something , some type of movement, each day this week!!!

Also please try and sign your names to your posts so we get to know each other!

-anne
2013-01-09 1:15 PM

Hi! Is there still room for one more? I'd also like to join your group!I am very excited to start with a training for my first tri!! I am 30 yrs old, married and used to play basketball so my condition is not that bad but I need to work on my swimming to get thru this. So I'm hoping you can give me some good advices :-)
2013-01-09 2:05 PM

Oregon
Subject: Introduction: Mary
My name is Mary. I have been interested in doing a triathlon the past few years. Making baby steps towards my goal. My main reason is to become more healthy and active. Two years ago I had a brush with Melanoma which prompted me to become more active. I have a strong history of diabetes. I’ve always been very mindful of how I eat. Becoming more active is new for me. I am trying to be better about stepping outside my comfort zone.

I started taking swimming lessons two years ago and fell in love with swimming. Last year I started yoga and again found something that I enjoy. I started running last Spring. I was doing well until August when school started. I returned back to school full time as well. Last term I didn’t do ANYTHING. So I am starting at the beginning once again. I am working on balance in my life. Right now both my girls are playing basketball so I will be at the gym a lot until March. My biggest obstacle is living half hour away from the gym and my husband’s crazy work schedule. My life revolves around my husband’s schedule and my girls’ schedule. Trying to be better about putting myself first on my life. Baby steps.

Mary

2013-01-09 2:14 PM
in reply to: #4570255

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA

Anne, What kind of cookies?  mmmm!    Also, What is this "Peach" challenge you talk about?  I've looked under the Challenge Me Forum and the Nutrition Forum but with no luck.  What is it? . 

GOALS:  Any of you have personal goals for this month?  Ive decided to focus on Run & Bike, specifically 80run mi & 100-120 bike mi.  I have a Duathon in March and want to see some improvement from last year.  Its a 6run/25bike/3 run. I had only been riding a roadie for 3 months prior to last years duathlon so Im eager to see how much improvement is in me!

-Elena  

2013-01-09 2:46 PM

User image

Hello!

I want Fancy Pants too! I am 31 and I come from a swimming and running background. I also dance and do yoga. I have successfully completed several half marathons and I am a former competitive swimmer, specializing in the 100m fly, 200m fly, and group and IMs. So, I lack the cycling bit. My first triathlon scheduled for May is a "Try-a-Tri", with a 250m swim, 2.5km run, and 11 km bike ride. It is small and designed for new people. My second triathlon in August is the full on Olympic distances.

I am from Alberta, Canada. I work full time in medical speech language pathology. I am married to a wonderful man who is very supportive of my efforts in triathlons - or, at this point he is :-)
I have one dog, a flat coat retriever named Finnegan, no children. And I think that is about all from me. I am very new to this site, these forums, and all that is BT. However, that doesn't scare me off, just yet. Thanks for the soapbox. Looking forward to training with you, if you'll have me.

I would like to be with some other women and power through this together. Fancy pants make it even better. :-)

-Irene

2013-01-09 3:49 PM

New user

Hi there,

I'd like to join your group. I am a big newbie. My husband and I were both extremely overweight and started losing weight together (he's almost done, down 115; I've lose 94 but still have 70 to go), and last August I said, "What if we trained over the next year and ran the Chicago Tri?" Well, he took off with the idea like a crazy man (a few months of training and he's already planning future Ironmans!) and I'm struggling to keep up.  He's in one of the groups here and suggested I find one, too, that it might help.

I'm 30, married to a former fat man turned athlete, without kids (next year, probably). I have a bad habit of wanting to do too much too fast and then getting discouraged when that ends badly. Lately I've been worrying that I was the one who started this whole triathlon business in the first place and maybe I won't even be able to handle it come August. But I really want to succeed in this, and even more, get down to my goal weight (or close to it) this year.

- Carrie

2013-01-10 4:44 AM

User image

Hello - can i be a Fancy Pants please?! (New to this site so may need lots of help!)

My name is Alex and i live in Nottingham, England with my 2 children Oscar 10 and Jemima 8. Single mum, juggling part time job with the kids and still trying to fit training in. What generally happens is the training is the bit that falls by the wayside at the first opportunity! Would be great to have this forum to give me a kick up the bum and make me feel guilty that you've all done lots of training!

I'm pretty new to triathlon, having only completed a handful of sprints last season. I have run for a few years though and quite regularly do half marathon and 10k and have spent the last 2 years trying to catch my boyfriend on his bike! He is a great cyclist and although very encouraging and supportive of my training, he now refuses to train with me as I'm too slow!!! I went on a triathon holiday to France last spring with a friend who was training as a age-grouper for team GB and got hooked. Now looking to up my distance and enter some longer races this year.  It is my 40th birthday in July and would love to be the fittest I have ever been!

I have started training again this week after about 3 off so I'm up for your peach challenge ... off on the turbo now (its very wet and foggy here today) gotta get it done! Hate it!!!

Great to find you girls.

Alex

2013-01-10 7:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
WOW!

We are up to 9 so I'm going to shut us down. I want to make sure you 9 have my full attention!

FIRST UP- Peach Challenge- it's not in the challenge forum; any challenges I mention here will be just us. Some people are new- some of us are getting back after time off. My Peach Challenge is- you have to turn your training log calender PEACH each day. When you log any activity- swim, bike, run, or down in Sports/Other (yoga, yardwork, spin class) it turns your day on the calender to PEACH. To get people used to logging, I want you to try and turn your days peach for 7 straight days. That does not mean swim/bike/run seven days in a row- just do some activity every day. I'll be checking your logs, and leaving you notes on days in your INSPIRES section. This peach challenge gets us all moving and practicing logging every day- so for our newbies, it will help with any questions you have about your training log (and customizing it).

NEXT-
here's our official list for FancyPants' Tri Gals!
Coty
Carla
Lindley
Gabi
Mary
Elena
Irene
Alex
Carrie

We've all got some things in common, besides being women - we are all very busy! And yes, training can often be the first thing to go. For me, though, I have to do something each day- it is usually the only quiet time I have. I also rely on the endorphins to help relieve stress. I'm a happier and more patient mommy when I exercise.

For those of you with big races or first races coming up- YES we will help you get there! These forums are a great support- just make sure you check in with us regularly. I'd love, come March, for all of us to be still going strong. What I have found in the past, though, with the two times I mentored, is that by February even we lose half the people. Remember if this is new for you- you have to do something 21 times for it to become a habit.

So what's on your agenda today? I've got tight legs, tight hips, tight back from spin class yesterday so I'm off for 20 minutes of yoga, then my littlest has dance class and I will sneak in a couple miles of running, then she stays in the childcare so I can do my long swim with all the little old guys. I'd love to have fit in a good 3-4 miles this morning but I know to listen when my body is tight, so yoga it is!

2013-01-10 8:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Subject: RE: FancyPants' Tri Gals- FULL and CLOSED and TRAINING!
WALK THROUGH:

Training Log Customization:

Hey gals, I just checked all logs and left inspires. I encourage you to do the same thing for our mentor group- check each other's logs and leave INSPIRES (comments) on workouts.

First up- you can add people as friends to your training log. See mine- on the left side there is a list with all of you so I just click your name and poof, I go to your log. This is also key if you set your privacy settings high (Mary, I'm talking to you, so follow me).
Top of BT page, click on the wrench (SETTINGS)
Now click on Training Blog Customization
Click on FRIENDS
Now in that first empty box, I want you to type AKR18 (that's me)

and at the bottom of the page, click on UPDATE FRIENDS

And you can do that for everyone else in this group as well:

cotyhogue
crews
TriFitter
Gaby.solis
maryew
clytemnestra
alexrj
RunningReenie
EV3110

Tomorrow I will walk you through how to CUSTOMIZE your training blog (meaning update your dashboard)
2013-01-10 9:57 AM

User image

Master

Pretty excited about this group of FancyPants wearing Tri girls!  I'm headed over to my logs now to add everyone as a friend

I'm finally on the mend.  Sinus stuff is just about gone and the nausea finally let up.

On tap for today...well we have a 100% chance of rain and it's cold out, so I'm thinking I'll put the bike on the trainer this evening.  

2013-01-10 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Hi everyone! Yay! Ready for a great Tri year!!! Thanks Anne for the step-by-step with the logging instructions. I love logging lol-it's been the one thin I AM consistent on. My logs are up to date. I plan to add everyone as a friend when I get home to my computer (I'm using my phone as I wait for Bootcamp to start). ----Elena
2013-01-10 9:04 PM

New user

Right! Logging is my downfall but having friends checking in should improve my efforts. I well catch up in the morning on the computer. I'm laying in bed with my phone and heating pad. I had 20/20/20 class today and the instructor is EVIL! Lol. Went bike shopping today too. Pretty exciting stuff. Hope everyone had a great day!
Lindley
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants' Tri Gals- FULL and CLOSED and TRAINING! Rss Feed  

of 9