Ouabache River Runners
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 51m 9s
Overall Rank = 43/57
Age Group = F 50-59
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Came in on Friday afternoon to the campground. Relaxed and wrote in my journal, rode my bike to see the bison, watched a movie. Slept well until about 4 when I woke up and couldn't move due to a sharp pain starting in my neck and going down to my lower back. What in the world had happened? Slept wrong? I tried to stand but literally couldn't due to the pain. Never felt this before. I prayed and started to do some yoga moves to stretch what I could. I did that for about an hour and then fell back asleep. When I woke up I was able to stand but when I tried to bend down the sharp pain returned. I did more stretching and got to the point of being able to walk around. Could I run 16 miles? I sure was going to try. Kept stretching during the time of getting together for the race. My back seized up several times but I worked through it. My BT mentor and his wife (DirkP)were coming specifically to the race to cheer me on so I wanted to do this thing. I ate my normal bagel, steel cut oats and some yogurt. My campsite was right on the race route so I set out some goodies (oranges, pretzels etc)since I'd be passing by there 2 times.
Event warmup:

Kept stretching. Walked the 40 yards from my camper to packet pickup. That's what I love about this race - being right in the campground. Sweet. Stretched some more. Welcomed Dirk and Lisa. Walked to the start line which was all of about 100 yards from my camper
Run
  • 2h 51m 9s
  • 16 miles
  • 10m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

The 1 loopers and 3 loopers start together since this is a small race. Another BTer was running and we met up a couple miles into the race. She was going at a faster pace than I thought I could maintain so I let her go after we ran together a couple miles. Dirk kept popping up places on the course with his camera and cheering me on. What fun that was! Lisa manned the campsite and I enjoyed seeing her there. Got through laps 1 and 2 uneventfully. Dirk ran with me on the last loop and that was such a blessing. He was a great conversationalist and I was so happy to get to know he and his family better. My energy level was waining on that 3rd loop but Dirk got me to the finish feeling pretty good. I didn't feel any pain in my neck/back the whole race. One thing I wanted to note for next year. By the bison they stack haybales which you have to hop over or you can run around. I hopped over them on laps 1 and 2 but ran around on lap 3. Note to self - hop over each loop as I believe it helps work out tightness.
What would you do differently?:

If I actually trained better for this race I might actually do better but I hadn't done much after the Rev3 HIM two months earlier. Still don't know what was up with my back pain but I was probably more tentative starting out than I normally would.
Post race
Warm down:

Light stretching and got some warmer clothes on then got some yummy soup and chips and chatted.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I'm slowing down in my old age and I'm OK with that. I want to be active into my 60s and I see no need to push it.

Event comments:

Very low key, small participant race but well organized. This is the only trail race I can find within a short distance from me at this time of year and I enjoy the scenery a lot. The bison are cool. Post race food includes bison burgers which are tasty. The fact that Dirk and Lisa came to this race just for me still warms my heart to this day. They are the epitome of kindness.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-09-13 12:00 AM
Running
02:51:09 | 16 miles | 10m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 43/57
Performance: Average
Course: On the dirt trail #5 in the campground - mostly flat as a pancake. Winds around the state park and past the bison. The loop is greater than 5 miles and you do the loop 3 times so it works to be close to 16 miles but I don't have a GPS so I don't know how close
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-01-04 5:18 PM

User image

Subject: W.O.O.F. Trail Run

2013-05-10 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4562765

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: W.O.O.F. Trail Run

It's only been 6+ months since you ran this race and I just noticed I hadn't read the report and I couldn't allow that to continue. 

This race was an absolute blast to attend!  It was great to see you throughout the course and take a few pics.  And I didn't you telling us about the back problems but I am certainly glad there were no problems during the race. 

I like your idea of jumping those bails each loop.  It's a great idea to get things stretched out some, especially that late into the race.

I thoroughly loved running with you too.  At races we don't get to spend a lot of time talking and getting to know each other better and this run was a great time do do just that.  Maybe I can pace you sometime at one of your Ultra's if I'm not racing or busy and we can do it all again.

2013-05-11 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4562765

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: W.O.O.F. Trail Run
Brenda sounds like you had a great time at this race and it must have been great to have both Dirk and Lisa there to cheer you on. It's great to see the Junkies get together at these events and support each other. Glad to see that your back did not prevent you from having a good run and a great day.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » W.O.O.F. Trail Run Rss Feed