General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi there! any advice is much appreciated! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-04 7:40 PM

Subject: Hi there! any advice is much appreciated!

Hi I'm sort of new to the whole triathlon thing. I had a friend who did the iron man in hawaii and after hearing his experiences i really wanted to get into it. I am mostly a swimmer and a casual biker but not much of a runner. I was planning on doing a olympic length at the beginning of next summer (2014). I was wondering if anyone had any advice for plan that revolves around 3 days as I have horrible hours and I live up north so by the time i get home its dark. Any advice is much appreciated!

Kay

2013-01-05 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4562904

User image

Stuart, FL
Subject: RE: Hi there! any advice is much appreciated!
There is a good book called "The Time-Crunched Triathlete" that has some great tips. You can get it on Amazon for cheap. Also, using the BT forums is always a good idea when you are unsure of something.
2013-01-05 11:38 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Hi Kay! Welcome to BT and triathlon.

There are a lot of great training programs here and depending on your level of membership, you can create a custom one. You have tons of time between now and early summer 2014 (unless you're in the Southern hemisphere? Still); you could even do one early this summer.

If I had three days a week to train, needed some running work and there was absolutely no way to fit something in like a lunchtime run (even 15 minutes is good) or bike commuting, I'd pick a program that has 2 workouts per sport per week, or is run-focused so it's 3 runs, 2 bikes, 2 swims. That would mean doing a three-fer on one of your training days (and two-fers on the other two), but there's no reason the extra run has to be particularly long. Another possibility of fitting in something like an "extra" run is to run off the bike for 5-10 min each time. It adds up over time, and "over time" (by 2014) is something you have.

2013-01-05 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4563475

User image

Veteran
Dallas
TriAya - 2013-01-05 11:38 AM

Hi Kay! Welcome to BT and triathlon.

There are a lot of great training programs here and depending on your level of membership, you can create a custom one. You have tons of time between now and early summer 2014 (unless you're in the Southern hemisphere? Still); you could even do one early this summer.

If I had three days a week to train, needed some running work and there was absolutely no way to fit something in like a lunchtime run (even 15 minutes is good) or bike commuting, I'd pick a program that has 2 workouts per sport per week, or is run-focused so it's 3 runs, 2 bikes, 2 swims. That would mean doing a three-fer on one of your training days (and two-fers on the other two), but there's no reason the extra run has to be particularly long. Another possibility of fitting in something like an "extra" run is to run off the bike for 5-10 min each time. It adds up over time, and "over time" (by 2014) is something you have.

agree.

plus I would suggest signing up for a sprint tri for this year. I would give yourself at least 3 months to train for it. it will get you used to all the transitions stuff and a more manageable distance giving you a greater chance at success in your OLY.

2013-01-05 5:18 PM

User image

I was in exactly the same position as you in the fall of 2010 and in September I completed my first ever 1/2 Ironman and I'm seriously thinking about doing a full Ironman in 2014 (have other plans for this year). Anyway I am primarily a swimmer, I started biking in the spring of 2011 (that's when I bought my bike) and I had probably run a total of 100 miles in my life. I've now done in excess of 20 tri's mostly sprints.

My advice is to follow the advice of the other posters, get a plan and stick to it. I would add that you should start by doing some indoor tri's, they are relatively easy and will give you great confidence. Next, I'm from Michigan so cold isn't an excuse, I did 50% of my bike training on an indoor (kinda crappy) bike, not ideal but it worked and I did about 95% of my run workouts on a treadmill. In addition I would add that you should NEVER miss a scheduled run workout. I did and it ended up being my biggest regret. As a swimmer I would use the excuse that I would just swim extra yards rather than running occasionally, this is probably okay for sprint distance Tri's but if I had it all to do over again I would definitely run more even though I HATE running. By the way I have started to not hate running quite so much. Lastly set a goal closer than 2014 I set my goals one year ahead. I make my goals difficult but achievable but I think if you set the goal to far ahead you may get tired of working toward the goal without seeing the end in sight.

As a back story I'm 47 had essentially done nothing to stay in shape since I was 22 years old I'm 5'9" tall and weighed 225 pounds when I started all of this in August of 2010. I swam 800 yards as my first workout and thought I was gonna die. I now weigh 183, and last year I swam 200 miles, biked well over 2500 miles and ran over 550 miles. Not trying to sound like a braggart just want you to understand your goal is very achievable..

So go get it done and good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi there! any advice is much appreciated! Rss Feed