General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Philadelphia Triathlon, LLC
85F / 29C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 23m 8s
Overall Rank = 176/958
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 53/197
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 AM eastcoast time, which is 3 AM central. It takes me more than a couple of days to adjust my internal clock, so 4 AM (ET) was early...but I'm used to getting up early for events.

First things first...brew coffee. I used the hotel coffee machine to brew hot water for my instant oatmeal. I ate two packs of oatmeal and half of a cranberry scone and two cups of coffee. After riding my bike the 5 miles to the transition area I ate a powerbar and sipped a bottle of watered-down HEED.
Event warmup:

Prayer. Stretching. Mingling with other athletes.
Swim
  • 23m 12s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Most everyone has seen in the news the horrible weather the east coast has been having. Its been raining non stop for days on end. Philadelphia was no different. It rained most of the weekend except race day, Sunday morning. The race director warned everyone at the Saturday briefing that if it rains hard the night before the race that they might cancel the swim.

While setting up the transition area at about 5:45 AM they made the announcement. NO SWIM. The water was too dirty and filled with debris. There were a lot of unhappy people, but what are you going to do? Roll with it. The race director decided to add a 5k run prior to the 40k bike and final 10k run. This worried me because I'm nursing a stress fracture in my left foot. The injury is almost 2 months old and has been feeling pretty good, but I was worried that a 5k run before the bike and 10k would be too much.

Average Pace: 7:29
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

It was very humid and I was soaking wet after running the 5k. I fumbled with my bike shoes and glasses. I could have taken 1 minute off my T1 time had I focused and not fumbled.
What would you do differently?:

Speed the hell up.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 50s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Cycling is my strength. I depend on it to make up for the slow swimming and average running. I was worried coming into this race that the wet roads and twists and turns would slow me down, or wreck me. I train in the hills so I wasn't worried about the climbing. I haven't done any high-speed cornering on my tri bike so I planned on going easy and avoid crashing.

As soon as I got on the saddle I started pushing hard. My legs felt good. I had no idea how fast I ran the first 5k so I knew I had to go all out on the bike portion if I were to improve upon my last Oly Tri time (2:32, NYC tri). Almost immediately we hit a hill and began climbing. I hadn’t checked out the course so I had no idea what I was in for. The course was very hilly. At the bottom of every down hill was a tight turn. This was a very challenging, but beautiful course. On one of the downhill portions we had to cross under a bridge and make a sharp right turn. I came in too hot and the road was wet. I got out of aero and prepared to brake but it was too late. My rear wheel came off the ground and skipped a couple of times. There was another racer to my left. He did the same. Somehow we both managed to stay up. After recovering we both looked at each other and commented on how that was a close call.

There were portions of the course where we would descend and corner and crowds lined the streets screaming and cheering. This was VERY cool. It reminded me of how the TDF would feel, or other major bike races. Whizzing by people at 35 MPH was exhilarating.

Average speed: 22.4 MPH
Transition 2
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

Again...I screw around too much. I need to learn to rush myself more.
Run
  • 48m 51s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were starting to cramp on the bike so I figured my calves would go once I started running the 10k. Strangely enough they held together and didn’t cramp. I felt I was running at a fair pace because my breathing was controlled. Although I had my watch timer going I wasn’t looking at my time because I didn’t want the time to screw with my head. The run course was not marked with mileage markers, with the exception of mile 1 and mile 6. I made it a point to run behind a person who’s pace seemed manageable. This worked for most of the run. Towards what I thought was the 4 or 5 mile mark I started asking people if they knew how much distance was left. No one, including the volunteers seemed to know what mile we were at or how much further we had to go. I kept a little money in the bank for the last couple of miles so I could cash out at the finish line. At one point I asked one person where we were and he pointed to the ground where a big red 6 was painted. I was .2 miles from the finish line and I had too much money in the bank to spend in .2 miles so I turned the thrusters on and went for broke.

10k Pace: 7:52

What would you do differently?:

Know the course and where I'm at so I can better gauge my effort and speed.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a Gatoraid and my medal and headed back onto the course to cheer on the rest of my TNT team. I was the first to finish so I stayed on the course to cheer on the Team.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The rain really put a damper on the event. Not having the swim really through a wrench in things but I was OK with that. Had I swam I would probably add another 5 to 10 minutes to my finish time. However, running a 5k takes more effort than swimming 1.5k...in my opinion.

Event comments:

The race director did a great job setting up the race and dealing with all the unhappy athletes. He had to make a tough call when he canceled the swim but it was for our safety. The river looked like chocolate milk with a steady stream of debris floating on top.

I knew there were a few BT folks at this race and was looking for BT jerseys but didn't see any. There were a couple of BT members in my heat, group 5 with black swim caps, but I still didn't get to meet any of them. For those BT members in my group (black) I was the person in the purple TNT singlet with full sleeves of tattoos on both arms and back. Anyone see me?

Last updated: 2006-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:12 | 1640 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/197
Overall: 0/958
Performance:
Suit:
Course: This was a 5k run, not a swim. So ignore the lap time. 23:12 was my 5k time.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:50 | 24.85 miles | 22.31 mile/hr
Overall: 285/958
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Hilly. When I heard it was hilly I didn't image the hills would be that severe. It was HILLY.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:07
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:48:51 | 06.21 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Overall: 0/958
Performance: Good
Course: Gradual slope down, then up, out and back with a loop around the transition area.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-06-27 3:24 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park

2006-06-27 3:42 PM
in reply to: #467744

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: RE: Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park
Great job - you seriously kicked it on the bike!  Probably better to have a du than trying to swim next to god-knows-what that's washed into the river.
2006-06-27 4:14 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Great race and nice report.  I don't know how I'd roll with a DU vs. TRI at the last second.  Your run times look very good for you, and your typical smoking hot bike time as well.  GREAT job!
2006-06-27 6:05 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Damn!  I definately saw you.  I was also a "black cap" and we had very similar splits on the first 2 legs.  Sorry, would have made a point to say hello if I knew it was you.  I was in a Team Javelin 2-piece uniform (w/a white running hat & sunglasses on the run).

Oh, and there were mile markers on the 10k, but some of them were just a small sign and others (like mile 6) were just a number painted on the road.  Both easy to miss if you weren't looking out for them. 

Very nice race, BTW!  If I had known you, we could have paced well off of each oher.

2006-06-27 6:07 PM
in reply to: #467830

Champion
South Jersey
Great job and great report. Also, that's awesome you raced for TNT - you guys had tons of support out there!

I hope to see you there next year.

-Lauren
2006-06-28 6:57 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Great race! You just smoke on the bike! I'm also glad the stress fracture held up well. Way To GO!

2006-06-28 7:20 AM
in reply to: #468237

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Great race!  Glad you didn't crash on that decent.

Sorry that we didn't get to meet.  Did the get together work out on Friday night?  Hope you enjoyed our city despite the rain. 

2006-06-28 8:08 AM
in reply to: #467941

User image

Elite
JohnnyKay - 2006-06-27 6:05 PM

Damn!  I definately saw you.  I was also a "black cap" and we had very similar splits on the first 2 legs.  Sorry, would have made a point to say hello if I knew it was you.  I was in a Team Javelin 2-piece uniform (w/a white running hat & sunglasses on the run).

Oh, and there were mile markers on the 10k, but some of them were just a small sign and others (like mile 6) were just a number painted on the road.  Both easy to miss if you weren't looking out for them. 

Very nice race, BTW!  If I had known you, we could have paced well off of each oher.

Yes.  I do remember seeing you at the start and along the first portion of the course.  I was thinking of yelling out to the Black Cap crowd for BT members to put your hands up...but I didn't want to look like an idiot. 

I must have been too focused to see the mile markers.  On the return I was searching for them but only found the 6.  Oh well...

I'll look for your race report.

2006-06-28 8:12 AM
in reply to: #468261

User image

Elite
dontracy - 2006-06-28 7:20 AM

Great race!  Glad you didn't crash on that decent.

Sorry that we didn't get to meet.  Did the get together work out on Friday night?  Hope you enjoyed our city despite the rain. 

Yes it was too bad we didn't get a group together.  There didn't seem to be too much interest, or people were too busy.  I think 'The Beast' was the only one solid on meeting Friday.

Despite the rain I loved Philadelphia.  It is a beautiful city.  I've been to most major cities in the US and I have to rank Philly towards the top, however I did not get to use the mass-transit system so I couldn't judge that.  I would like to visit again....when its not raining.

2006-06-28 8:32 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Hot dog!!! Awesome bike split ... 22.31 mph on a HILLY course is strong, nylon rope strong.  Not so certain that right hand turns on a descent for a peloton of racers is a good idea, but good job on the crash avoidance. 

Your run splits were pretty amazing for a self-described so-so runner: 7:29/5k + 7:52/10k are both good times ... and are especially good after frying your legs cycling through 40k of hills.

Congrats on being the first TNT'er to finish.  Got to tell you, the TNT cheering section is what got me through the final part of St. A's and Gulf Coast ... and love to hear that we are LOUD!

Great way to roll with the punches on the format change.  It is that mindset + approach to races that makes it a winning day ... regardless of where you place.

Well done, my friend, well done. 

2006-06-28 11:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio

Yeah! Really nice race. Way to roll with the punches, and kick butt on both runs!! Your bike was amazing! I'm glad the foot was okay through the runs. Nice job!

2006-06-28 4:01 PM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ

great job, i was in your wave as well, but i don't remember you... I would normally remember a guy with tats all over his arms....

oh well, glad you enjoyed my city.   great race and great report.

2006-06-28 4:25 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
I hope to ride lots and be able to crush the bike like that too someday.  And I think you can lighten up on your run times, you are fast.  Way to maintain a good attitude about the last minute change too.  Nice job!
2006-06-28 4:39 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Way to go Mike!!! Great race............your bike leg is truly smoking!!
2006-06-29 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California
Great race and an awesome bike split!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park Rss Feed