Overcast
Total Time = 21m 41s
Overall Rank = 4F/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Worked registration booth.
Event warmup:

Warmed up right before the race for about 7 minutes; easy running with pick-ups. Had to work the registration booth prior to this, so 7 minutes is all I got.

Run
  • 21h 41m 4s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 6h 58m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

59F
99% humidity
Overcast
Winds steady from NNE at 15 mph

Warmed up right before the race for about 7 minutes; easy running with pick-ups. Had to work the registration booth prior to this, so 7 minutes is all I got.

Pretty solid 5k race for me and an unexpected new PR (10 seconds). I went into this race planning to use a 7 min/mile or so as my benchmark (7:01 was my former PR, but it was done in 85F, 97% humidity summertime weather). If Goofy wasn't taking place next weekend, I would have aimed for that 6:55 mark. I decided to play cautious for this one and just really use it to get my legs turning over. I did not want to wake up on Sunday morning saying, "Ooooh... I ran a super hard 5k yesterday." So I ran strong and controlled, but just shy of 5k hard.

HR was obviously skewed during first mile. Maybe not enough moisture/good contact on skin? For remaining miles, HR was 2 beats below where it normally is during a 5k. While I did consciously try to slow myself down quite a few times during this race as a precaution for Goofy, not once did I ever say, "c'mon Sherry pick it up" until the final kick towards the finishing shoot. It was an incredibly windy day out yesterday (15 mph steady with a 25 mph gust clocked at some point during the race according to Wunderground.com). This race took place in the Venice Beach area along the Gulf of Mexico and with rain on the horizon, 99% humidity was in the air.

On a good day, without an endurance event on the horizon (such as Goofy), and with more focus on faster running... I know that I have more yet to give in the 5k event. 'Till next time!

Cool down was an easy 3 miles (some done with my husband) immediately post-race. Felt great.
Post race
Warm down:

3 miles easy.

Last updated: 2013-01-06 12:00 AM
Running
21:41:04 | 03.11 miles | 6h 58m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 7:00 pace (HR 145 bpm- something is waaay skewed with this HR reading; perhaps not enough moisture/good contact with skin). Mile 2: 6:57 pace (HR 183 bpm) Mile 3: 7:13 (Hr 184 bpm)- left protection of mangroves and was smacked by NNE winds blowing at a steady 15 mph. Mile .01: 5:33 pace (HR 185 bpm). Had a nice kick to the finish.
Course: Mile 1 and 2 were an out and back on the road adjacent to the beach. It was overcast, cool, very damp and the wind was howling! Winds steady at 15mph with gusts up into the mid-20s. First 2 miles were somewhat protected from the wind; portions of 3rd mile were into a strong head wind and side wind. Finish was directly into wind. Not idea conditions, but better than 85F, 99% humidity of our Florida summer runs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?