General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-01-06 7:50 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread
OK, who else is in? My first Timberman, and WTC organized event. Looking forward to it. Any suggestions for a first timer on this course?

2013-01-08 9:19 PM
in reply to: #4564353

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread
I'm in. Already signed up but need a place to stay. I'll find that in the next week or so. Also doing Quassy Rev3 and Cuse 70.3 in June. First time at Timberman. Really looking forward to it.
2013-01-08 9:29 PM

User image

Georgetown, MA
Also signed up for both the 70.3 Syracuse and Timberman.  First time on both though, I could use some suggestions as well.
2013-01-09 6:23 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Jim -- finding a place to stay is a major PIA I've found. I finally located a single room at a B&B in Tilton (?) about 30 min away. Most places are requiring a 3 night min, so if that works for you it should be OK. I just needed a 1 night, and it was not easy.
2013-01-09 2:45 PM
in reply to: #4569396

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Mike_D - 2013-01-09 7:23 AM

Jim -- finding a place to stay is a major PIA I've found. I finally located a single room at a B&B in Tilton (?) about 30 min away. Most places are requiring a 3 night min, so if that works for you it should be OK. I just needed a 1 night, and it was not easy.

You should not have to stay for three nights if you are staying 30 minutes away. I generally drive down to Concord on a Saturday and stay in Concord. I drive over to the campground, check in, hit the mandatory meeting (or not) and cruise back to Concord. Not a bad ride and a one night stay is more than acceptable at several of the local hotels. You need to get up early in the morning, but you are going to get stuck in traffic no matter what you do unless you want to leave extremely early but then all you are going to do is wait at the front gate of the race area. The skinny on the race is this. If you can get beyond the traffic issue, then you will likely enjoy the race. The area is beautiful in August. The swim is in a nice lake, although it can get a bit choppy at times. The ride is relatively flat, although there is one tough climb and a couple of rollers, and the run is a two lap out and back. There are a couple of small hills but you are mostly running along the lake, which is nice. The event overall is pretty well done. My only gripe is the traffic and parking. There is one way in and out. The traffic lines up early and is slow going into the park. After the race, they will not open up the gate until a certain point in time. If you are a fast racer (not my problem), you should plan on not leaving for a while. Plan on getting something to eat and drink and hang around. The alternative to parking at the race site is to park at the campground and shuttle down. You will find parking but the shuttle can be a bit of a hassle. Mostly a great race!
2013-01-14 3:16 PM

User image

For first timers on the course, here is a quick course overview.

Swim - My favorite swim of any race I have done. Clear water, sandbars, relatively calm chop. Water temps are warm, but it will most likely be wetsuit legal. Only issue I've had is with the sun and sighting. If its a clear day and you have tinted goggles, I recommend using them.

Bike - For roughly the first 11 miles there is fair amount of climbing out. There is one hill (mile 11?) that is definitely steep. You will see people hammering, but my suggestion is to spin as much as possible and try and keep you HR down. After that it is fast ride out to the 28 mile marker where you head back on the same stretch of road. There is usually a consistent headwind on the way back. If you paced well up to this point, you will pass A TON of people on the way back. On some of the decents there are potholes and cracks. They are marked well with spray paint, but you can easily get up to 45mph+. So just a heads up.

Run - A lot of people talk about the bike split being challenging, but I actually find the run the toughest part of the day. Running is my strength, but this course beats me up for some reason. There is a fair amount of sun exposure and it can be really hot. The aid stations are really solid and usually a lot of spectators to cheer you on. I would describe it as rolling with a couple short/steep hills thrown in.

Obviously everything is relative, but hope this helps, Paul

2013-01-15 10:59 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Paul -- great summary. Thanks!
2013-01-15 2:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT

Great summary Paul - Thanks. 

Do you know of any semi-organized pre-ride or run of the course?  I think I might come up in July to ride it and run it. 

Also, do we know what hydration and food is served on the course for 2013?  Probably Perform, Gu and Bonk Breakers but want to see if anyone knows for certain for 2013.   Thanks. 

2013-01-15 5:49 PM

User image

No prob at all on the summary. Glad I could help.

Not 100% sure on the race course nutrition, but I believe it will be the usual suspects.

As far as recon rides/run - I am sure there will be some group rides that you could jump on. I will keep you posted if I hear anything as it gets closer.
2013-01-16 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
The rooms are filling up fairly quickly for the 17th and 18th.  I did a Expedia and Price Line search of Laconia and Wiers Beach and was able to find a clean, good, cheap room for the nights at the Landmark.  There is still a good supply of expensive places to stay though.  But many require a 3 night stay. 
2013-01-28 9:03 AM

User image

Anyone have any prep/road races coming up? I am unning a half mary on 2-24 in Hampton NH. Usually cold and windy, but VERY flat. Never a great idea to shoot for a PR in Feb, but thats the plan.... Hope everyone is avoiding the plague(s) that are floating out there! Paul

2013-01-30 3:37 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I have a half mary in March, and a 10k in April.  Patriot Half in June, and a sprint later that month. Also doing the NYC Tri (oly) in July, then a month of prep for Timberman. Then vacation!!
2013-01-30 8:02 PM

Last year, I did the race and a replacement for Muncie being shortened. We did a family trip and camped. It was great!!. I highly recommend the campground as there were alot of people racing and it was great to meet other triathletes.

2013-02-25 9:50 AM

User image

Thought I should check in and try and get some chatter going. How is the training going for everyone?

My swim is steadily coming back, but still/ will always be the weakness. The good news is I am actually enjoying the majority of the workouts.

The trainer rides are getting tougher mentally, but I've seen some decent improvements regarding power. Very happy with that.

I was supposed to run a half mary yesterday but it was cancelled due to the weather. A bit of a bummer, but no big deal. I've got another one booked in a little over a month, so it will be good to see where I am at.

Best, Paul
2013-02-25 10:05 AM

User image

Just jumped in ....my first 1/2 (gulp...) I've done 1 big event per year, 2 years ago it was an OLY, last year was a 100 mile ride (the Tour de Cure) time to step it up a notch!!
2013-02-25 1:01 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
It'll be my first time back at this race since 2008 when I did my first half.  Training is going pretty well.  Been getting in some pretty intense work on the trainer, lot of consistent running, and am starting to ramp up again in the pool.  Looking forward to getting out for some mileage on the road as things warm up soon though!  Got a half mary in early April as a bit of a test to see how things are progressing.  

2013-02-25 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4635891

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT

jimmyL - 2013-02-25 11:05 AM Just jumped in ....my first 1/2 (gulp...) I've done 1 big event per year, 2 years ago it was an OLY, last year was a 100 mile ride (the Tour de Cure) time to step it up a notch!!

Way to go Jimmy!  You can rock this course.  Ive never done Timberman myself but I think it is certainly the right HIM to start with (shallow and reassuring swim, nice elevation levels on bike and run to keep everyone honest, good, local support, lots of fun, etc).  Its not a bad idea to follow a basic training plan for your first HIM if you are nervous - you sound a little bit.  Sometimes its difficult to see the forest through the trees with training for this distance.  See you on Aug. 18th! 

2013-02-25 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I'm actually training for a June HIM and its been a mixed bag. Lots of home & illness delays/interruptions. Thankfuly I wasn't a total load during the off season and I'm very close to catching up to where I should be. Hoping to be in real kick butt shape for Timberman as its my final race of the year and I have enough going on between the first HIM and this race to keep me honest, and moving.

What is the parking situation like up there? I've heard you either get there real early to get in at the state park, or if you are a late arriver, its the shuttle from Gunstock.  What is 'real early'??
2013-02-26 7:15 PM
in reply to: #4636491

User image

Mike_D - 2013-02-25 2:37 PM

I'm actually training for a June HIM and its been a mixed bag. Lots of home & illness delays/interruptions. Thankfuly I wasn't a total load during the off season and I'm very close to catching up to where I should be. Hoping to be in real kick butt shape for Timberman as its my final race of the year and I have enough going on between the first HIM and this race to keep me honest, and moving.

What is the parking situation like up there? I've heard you either get there real early to get in at the state park, or if you are a late arriver, its the shuttle from Gunstock.  What is 'real early'??

I'm on for a June HIM as well. Heading down to Eagleman for a FLAT and HOT race. I did this last year and the spacing was perfect. I got destroyed at Eman, but Tman was a perfect comeback race.

In regards to parking, I believe I got their at 5:00 last year and had no issues. The idea of the bus sounds awful to me. I don't usually sleep well the night before a race, so I just head to the venue and sit in my car and pretend like I am going to nap for a bit.
2013-02-26 8:42 PM

User image

Georgetown, MA
Also have races in June, first two triathlons ever.  Newfound lake olympic and Syracuse 70.3.  Trainings been going well but definitely going to be looking for some course pointers from those with Timberman experience as we get close to race day.
2013-02-27 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4636491

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Mike_D - 2013-02-25 3:37 PM

Timberman is a really nice race. The swim is great, although it can be a bit choppy at times. The water is clear and clean. There are a lot of waves so you might have to wait a bit before actually getting in the water. The bike route is reasonable. One challenging climb and some rollers but definitely plenty flat at times whereby you can get down on your aerobars and just work. The run is an out and back, which makes it fun because you have good crowd support. The run is also partly done along the lake so the scenery is great. Overall, nice race. I had to point out the positive because it really is a great race and venue. Now, ah, the parking. I generally try to be there early, and by early I mean 5:00 a.m. If you do this, you will get into the park no problem. However, once you are in, you are in until most of the racers are down and they open the gates. They really packed in the vehicles as well. On a couple of occasions, I have been packed in down near the beach. Getting out is the real problem. I am not fast, but when I finish, and collect my toys, I like to hit the road. You will not be able to do this. Yup, you can take the bus down from the camping area, but I would give this some serious thought. Racers that take the bus to and from the camp ground do not seem to be all that happy about this alternative. Best bet, get there early, park and take a nap, get ready for the race, race, take your time getting back to your vehicle. Jump in the water, hang on the beach, grab a beer and some food and then head out. I find the parking the only negative of this race.

2013-02-27 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Wow, awesome detail . I'm a likely 6 hr finisher, so I'm guessing I won't have to wait too long. I do like the idea of hitting the beach & water for a bit post race.  Thanks for the timing of things as well. I'm staying about 25 min away and wasn't sure what my schedule would look like.
2013-02-28 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4639217

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Mike_D - 2013-02-27 1:52 PM

Wow, awesome detail . I'm a likely 6 hr finisher, so I'm guessing I won't have to wait too long. I do like the idea of hitting the beach & water for a bit post race.  Thanks for the timing of things as well. I'm staying about 25 min away and wasn't sure what my schedule would look like.

Mike, I am also close to a 6 hour finisher. You will have to wait. They try to not open the gate until the last finisher crosses the finish line for safety reasons. I truly understand the importance of this. My advice would be to enjoy the race AND to relax and enjoy the after race events for a bit. Best of luck.
2013-02-28 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

That won't be a problem. I'm sure an hour or so of recovery, food, and getting my gear together will take plenty of time. Maybe a cooling dip in the lake, too .

I have a 2.5-3 hour drive home after the race, so I'm in no hurry to get jammed into a car after the race. 

2013-03-01 4:27 PM

User image

I always park early and hang out after. Its definitely a fun time. I think I was on the road by 230pm last year, so nothing to crazy.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8