General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-08-18 8:34 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread

Originally posted by Mike_D Hope everyone is here and checked in. Beautiful day!!! I'm at the Make a Wish foundation meet and greet awaiting Andy Potts. Then to bike check in, drive a bit of the bike course then head to theology for a bit. Dinner at Tiltin Diner at 6.

Oh no!  So, that's what happened - we were there about 5:30 (not sure why I was thinking 5:30) and waited until about 6:00 until we sat.  We sat by the front and were looking for anyone with a blue wrist band, but must not have seen you come in (I was bummed but figured something came up).

I was thinking we should have exchanged phone numbers or at least gotten a description - tough to tell who's who from the avatars here!

Sorry we didn't connect - how did you do?

Everyone else?  RR or it didn't happen!!

Matt

2013-08-19 6:09 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Oy. bad planning by us. I was there at 6 and ended up at a counter seat where all 6 seats were occupied by us 'blue banders' . Great food at that place I have to say.

Race was a long day. Walked most of the run, but expected to. Swim was awesome, felt great the whole time. Bike was good as well, but course seemed to either beat you over the head with hills, or just be mind numbing on the out & back on 106. No in between .

Andy Potts gave me my finisher medal when I crossed, which was really cool !!
2013-08-19 7:22 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Hope everyone had a great race and is recovering well! We really couldn't have asked for a better day weather wise. Overall just a great day.

2013-08-19 12:41 PM
in reply to: pauljra

User image

Had a great time and finished my first 70.3 with a better time than I was expecting so great day for me.
2013-08-19 2:24 PM
in reply to: k1200rsvt

User image

It was my first 70.3 as well. I was happy with my swim (35:46) and my bike (2:56:34) but I completely fell apart on the run. I just didn't train hard enough on that discipline. A lesson learned.

Overall it was a good race. Well organized and a challenging bike course. There was at least one section of road (maybe around mile 12?) that was really cracked and bumpy. I think a couple of my fillings came loose! Maybe there's a way for that to be paved one of these days.

I'm always amazed at how fast some guys are willing to go downhill. On some of the descents coming back, I was going about 40 mph and there were some guys whizzing past me like I was stopped. They must have been going in excess of 50 mph. Maybe this is my granny side, but I'm not willing to risk my life in one of these races.

In the end, I learned a lot. For my next 70.3 (perhaps in a more exotic locale to entice my family to come) I will train smarter. I need to get to a point where I can comfortably run 10 or 12 miles. I'm not there yet.

Thanks to all of the experts on this board who helped some of us newbies prepare.
2013-08-19 4:34 PM
in reply to: halfironmike

Regular
Brighton MA

2013-08-20 10:35 AM
in reply to: espejo09

User image

Thought I would copy and paste my race report here in case anyone would be interested reading it.

Pre race - I knew heading into the race I was healthy and had good form, so if things went well it would be a good day. Main objective = Qualify for the 70.3 WC without a roll down.

Breakfast - apples sauce, espresso, banana and half a powerbar

Swim - (35-39 AG) I have been consistently been swimming 33 minutes at my last couple of HIMS. I have been making some improvements at the pool, so my goal was anything below 33 min. I started at the front of the group and jumped on the feet of some tall guys and drafted for as long as I could. By the first turn I was on my own and started to swim through earlier swim waves. At the second turn I was feeling a bit fatigued but pushed hard for the last 400 meters and came out feeling overall pretty good.

Swim 32:00 - That'll work. Swimming is not my strength, so I'l take it.

T1 - Quick and efficient 1:46

Bike - After climbing the first hill I locked into my wattage goal. Several guys that I beat out of the water passed me within the first 10 miles and it was REALLY hard to let them go. I knew my plan was solid, so I passed the temptation of chasing and stayed focused. Around mile 30 I started to catch the guys that passed me earlier. By mile 45 I had caught all but one and had not been passed by anyone except a younger rider in the 30-34 AG.

Near mile 50 I heard a really loud "PING"! It didn't sound like a flat, but something wasn't right. I pulled over (mumbling some obscenities) and started to look at my bike. My first thought was a spoke, but it was actually my front brake had pulled and was rubbing my wheel. I ripped the cable out and opened up the levers. Spun the wheel to make sure all was good and then jumped back on for the final 6 miles.

Bike - 2:29 - (22.4mph) Overall pleased with this. I stayed within myself and raced smart. Bike issue couldn't be avoided and didn't cost me too much time.

T2 1:34 - Pretty standard

Run - The first mile I felt ok. Not great, but not awful. My goal was to run a 6:45 1st mile and then back it down to 6:50s. I clocked it at 6:47, so right on goal. The next 5 miles I was running between 6:50s and 6:55s. At mile 7 I got a really bad side stitch. I slowed my pace a bit and ran 3 miles around 7:05s. At mile 10 I knew I was having a solid day and wasn't about to lose a potential spot. I dropped the hammer (as best as I could at this point) and ended up running the last 3 miles at 6:50s.

Run 1:30 - (6:56 pace) This wasn't a PR, but I was really pleased how I bounced back.

Total 4:35:59

Summary - There was 11 spots in the 35-39 AG and I came in 11th place, so I got my spot for the 2014, 70.3 WTC without a roll down. Last year my time would have taken the podium, but think the championship being held at Mont Tremblant really drew a super competitive group. So overall really excited that all the hard work paid off.

Up next, Pumpkinman in September. Mentally/Physically I am a bit burnt, but will push through for my last HIM of the year.

It was great trying to help out with some tips for the newbies and hope everyone stays healthy and has fun with this great sport! Paul

2013-08-20 3:10 PM

User image

New user
St. Augustine, Florida
It was a great first 70.3 for me. Lots of lessons learned for the next one. Thank you everyone for all of the pre race help.
2013-08-20 3:36 PM
in reply to: bhurley

User image

NH
Outstanding race Paul. Crazy fast, with no job and some more time, you'd be on Potts butt for sure. I'd love to have a 32 minute swim and call swimming my weakness - everyone has their own standards I suppose!

I had a blast and we won the relay division. My bike leg was great for me (2:35), though very eventful. I dropped at chain near the top of the steepest hill on the Brown Hill Rd jog, and it was wedged pretty good. Once I remounted I couldn't head up the hill without first getting some momentum so it cost me a few minutes total. I then bumped into a car which was making a right turn on 11D. There was a cop directing traffic and the car went right through a cop telling him to stop. I could see early on the car wasn't going to stop so I braked enough to be going very slowly, but I did hit him and I've never seen a cop so mad as he was at the driver. I also had a nice wipeout/somersault at the the dismount because I went in way too hot. If anyone hears of someone with a pic, let me know because I'd love to get a shot of that!

I also met up with MikeD at the Make-A-Wish site which was great, and Potts hung out for quite a while with the Make-A-Wish people on Sat., as well as talking to the my kids and my nephew after his win. My nephew got to
2013-08-22 8:14 AM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Thanks Warren!

Hitting a car and tumbling at the dismount?! I'd say that is an action packed day....

Have a great race at Pumpkinman and see you there.

2013-08-22 10:26 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Great work Paul. I was in the 2nd 35-39AG so I probably didn't see you out there. Was 13th and also grabbed a slot for WCs so I'll see ya there!

2013-08-22 11:54 AM
in reply to: dck4shrt

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Congrats on the WC slots!!!  That's awesome - you must be stoked!

The whole Rolldown thing was an eyeopener for me.  We hung out at the beertent and drank...  rehydrated...  cheered the podium folks and then stuck around to see the rolldown, as this was my first WTC race and first HIM (very cool hearing people go nuts when they got called!).

I had no idea how that one worked or how deep they sometimes (though certainly NOT always) go.  10 minutes faster or 1 fewer person hanging around in my AG and I'd have been going. Tongue out 

Puts it in a different perspective, as I think MT would be such a great venue - makes me think about stepping up my game by at least those 10 minutes!  Laughing  No way to know ahead of time if you'll get a slot at any given race, I suppose, but it'd be fun to shoot for.

I'm now in kind of a post race haze, as I'm transitioning over to marathon training for a late October race and am kinda bummed to dial back the s/b.  Probably a good thing for my tri, though, as the run is my weakest sport (ironically, having only started swimming/biking really last summer, but having run for years).

Matt

PS - RR is here for anyone interested (although anyone on this thread was actually there).  Wink  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=498435&posts=17#M4834600 

2013-08-22 12:29 PM
in reply to: dck4shrt

User image

Originally posted by dck4shrt

Great work Paul. I was in the 2nd 35-39AG so I probably didn't see you out there. Was 13th and also grabbed a slot for WCs so I'll see ya there!

Thats awesome and congrats as well!!! Really psyched to head up to MT next year.
2013-08-22 12:37 PM

User image

Matt - Congrats on your first and really well done

I transitioned from HIM training into marathon training last year. The good thing is you have built a really big aerobic engine, so you have a solid base to work off of. Also don't underestimate some bike training for a marathon. You will need to make sure you are always pushing a slightly bigger gear, but it is super beneficial. Best of luck!
2013-08-22 1:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by pauljra Matt - Congrats on your first and really well done I transitioned from HIM training into marathon training last year. The good thing is you have built a really big aerobic engine, so you have a solid base to work off of. Also don't underestimate some bike training for a marathon. You will need to make sure you are always pushing a slightly bigger gear, but it is super beneficial. Best of luck!

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm hoping the engine thing is true (and matters).  I'm a bit wigged out that I should be getting into the big mileage weeks already (as in three weeks ago), but between the peak/taper weeks and this recovery week, I'm behind.  I'm going to ramp faster than I normally would, but have to be veeeery careful about injury, as I don't want to be sidelined.  The race, like all of them, is important - but, like all of them, not enough so that I want to put myself at a high risk of injury.

8 or 9 weeks is NOT a lot of time, though!  Won't be my best result, I'm sure, but will be a good running block.

Congrats as well on a great race.  Hopefully, I'll see you at WC's next year - just gotta crush a race or two!  Tongue out

Matt

2013-08-22 1:30 PM

User image

Do you guys know if there are two 70.3 races at MT next year? I'm interested in doing the one on June 22 and assume that one is NOT the world championship one.

2013-08-22 3:11 PM

User image

Beantown
Originally posted by halfironmike

Do you guys know if there are two 70.3 races at MT next year? I'm interested in doing the one on June 22 and assume that one is NOT the world championship one.

the MT 70.3 sold out in 3 days.... plan for 2015

Congrats to all!!!
2013-08-22 3:51 PM
in reply to: RedSoxChick

User image

Damn, I just noticed that. Three days! It says there are open slots for "Charity Entries." Does anyone know how much fundraising this requires?
2013-08-23 5:47 PM

User image

NH

Damn, I just noticed that. Three days! It says there are open slots for "Charity Entries." Does anyone know how much fundraising this requires?

I think there are two types of entries, One is through Ironman directly, and the other is through a various charity. I don't know the price for Mt. Tremblant 70.3, but for IMLP it was $1400 this year. I see something on the IMMT site with this for a specific charity racer: "Raise just $3,500 to earn an entry or $1,000 to simply join the team and you'll get these Team CAF Perks". Not sure of it's the same for the 70.3.
2013-08-24 7:57 AM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Originally posted by wbayek

I think there are two types of entries, One is through Ironman directly, and the other is through a various charity. I don't know the price for Mt. Tremblant 70.3, but for IMLP it was $1400 this year. I see something on the IMMT site with this for a specific charity racer: "Raise just $3,500 to earn an entry or $1,000 to simply join the team and you'll get these Team CAF Perks". Not sure of it's the same for the 70.3.

Wow, that's a lot of dough. Looks like it'll have to be Syracuse!
2013-09-18 3:18 PM

User image

Looks like the 2014 date has been released. Sunday August 17th. Who knows what the best hotels are close to the transition area? I'd love to get a better place this year.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8