General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shipping tri-bikes to races - cost effective method? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-27 4:07 PM

User image

Subject: Shipping tri-bikes to races - cost effective method?

Question for the masses:

Does anyone know where I can find a bike box for shipping my tri bike that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?  If not, does anyone know how I can ship my tri bike without causing too much trouble? I've heard rumors of a way to ship my bike that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, where they will even re-assemble and tune-up my bike in the destination city. Thank you for your knowledge in this area. Happy training.

2006-06-27 10:00 PM
in reply to: #467822

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Shipping tri-bikes to races - cost effective method?
A box from your bike shop is free, but it has to be packed well. A shop will usually break it down and pack it for about $40 dollars, and same for unpacking. Shipping costs about $70, at least for CA to PA.

I had a recent near-disaster with my bike getting poorly packed in a 'free' cardboard box and arriving damaged (even though I provide the bike shop with a nice, hard plastic Thule case that it should have been packed in but wasn't).

This is what I learned:
Only I will dissassemble the bike. Only I will assemble the bike. The bike will always fly with me ($80 each way, or free, depending on the mood of the check in person). The hard case cost $300.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shipping tri-bikes to races - cost effective method? Rss Feed