General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Self Coached IM? How did it go? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-01-08 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4567645

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
Subject: RE: Self Coached IM? How did it go?

The only coaching I found was way out of my budget, so I went on my own and followed the Be Iron Fit plan as well - started out with the competitive plan, backed down to intermediate toward the end because my hours at work got crazier and my time and energy became more limited.

I didn't finish in the time I thought I could have, but that was due to a few things: 1. especially strong current that day, leading to a slower swim for most everyone, 2. a total fluke foot injury on the bike that required me to slow down and spend some time getting medical help, and 3. I didn't push the run as much as I could've - I knew I had plenty of time to finish, but wasn't going to hit my previous goals, so I didn't care to push myself until I was miserable.

Oh, I got a stress fracture early on in training, so when I could run again, the focus of my run training pretty much became "don't hurt yourself!!"

But yeah, I finished (16:28), even with all those issues, and I'm pretty slow and hadn't done anything longer than an Oly before I started training. My first HIM was in September and it was a 6:48. Again, no coach. So I think you'd be fine.

One last note: I did swim with a masters group 1.5 hours twice a week, instead of following the swim workouts in the plan. That was a great choice FOR ME as I still needed quite a bit of help with form, and I have a tendency not to push myself too hard when I swim solo.

2013-01-08 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte

Self coached using Be Iron Fit competitive plan (read the whole book, just just the plan). Training went good.  Race went great and finished better than planned (sub 11) at IMFL.

Only person I ever talked about my training was my wife and lots of talking to myself on 5+ hour bike rides.

I would definitely do similar training again, although I have no problem motivating myself.  When/if you have questions, there are many online smarter, wiser, and willing to listen.   

2013-01-08 5:25 PM

User image

Champion
MA

One of the best parts of having a coach is letting someone else look at the big picture and worry about the details.

To OP you have a curious personality and ask many questions.  How would you feel about giving up control of training to someone else?

Do you enjoy planning training and decide how it needs to be adjusted or do you enjoy doing workouts and rather have someone else put together your training, look at big picture, and be there to answer questions and coach you?

I like doing workouts. I like having a coach listen to my goals, plan my season, my week around my schedule, and I can focus on doing the workouts.

If you doubt a lot and second guess your training, your overall program, a coach can help take that away.

2013-01-08 5:30 PM
in reply to: #4568817

User image

Sensei
Sin City
KathyG - 2013-01-08 3:25 PM

One of the best parts of having a coach is letting someone else look at the big picture and worry about the details.

To OP you have a curious personality and ask many questions.  How would you feel about giving up control of training to someone else?

Do you enjoy planning training and decide how it needs to be adjusted or do you enjoy doing workouts and rather have someone else put together your training, look at big picture, and be there to answer questions and coach you?

I like doing workouts. I like having a coach listen to my goals, plan my season, my week around my schedule, and I can focus on doing the workouts.

If you doubt a lot and second guess your training, your overall program, a coach can help take that away.

That would be the only (and VERY valuable) thing that would make it worth it.  I'm not sure if I would have better gains, but if I could save the hours a week analizing, and stressing, and the brain damage of planning and tracking and evaluating, it would be wonderful.

Just tell me what to do and I will do it.

2013-01-08 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

4 IM's ~ All Self Coached.  (1 DNF ~ equipment failure).

I would like to try a coach someday, just to see if it would change anything for me.  My times range from 14:29 to 16:46.  I'm a happy finisher .  BUT, I would love to see if a coached IM year would make any difference.  I'd LOVE to break 14 hours, will try one more time on my own (IMCOZ) and then may consider giving a coach a try.

I do have to admit, the one IM that probably would have made the most difference with a coach (for me) would be IMLP (16:46).  Tough as nails bike course ~ almost took this weak azz biker out!  I'm not even sure a coach could have done anything for me on that one....LOL.

ETA: Plans used.

1st IM(WI '09) - BT 20 Week

2nd IM(FL '10) - Fitzgerald Level 3

3rd IM(LOU '11)- Fitzgerald Level 7

4th IM(LP '12) - Be Iron Fit Competitive

**5th IM(COZ '13) - Will be going back to Fitzgerald (my favorite of the 3 used)**

Edited by marathongirl11 2013-01-08 5:58 PM
2013-01-08 6:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Self coached here for IMCDA.  Be Iron Fit a mix of the intermediate and beginner plans.  Went 13:50 at IMCDA.  I may go for a coach at some point in life, mainly to have another set of eyes and to have someone keep me accountable on my DIET.  However, I really enjoyed all of the research and trial and error that went into doing it myself.  Don Fink's book is a great resource and I was able to tinker with the plan  to shape it around my life.  

2013-01-08 7:51 PM

User image

New user

I did beach to battleship this year and I followed 13 weeks to a 13 hour iron man training plan by Gale Bernhardt (link to plan http://www.cluboceano.com/13.htm). 

This was a great program for me as I had been training and had a good base (this is not a program for everyone) - it also fit my limitations on training time/family etc.  I added some additional brick work and talked to everyone I knew that had completed an IronMan and I got a lot of good advice, and focused on taking the suggestions that made sense for me. 

In the end the results could not have been better, I exceeded my 13hr goal by an hour and a half (11:29 finish)...  When it comes to the race, it is all about you and your will to compete!

2013-01-08 8:07 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
I self-coached for IMAZ (10:54 finish). I used a training peaks bike racing plan based on Friel and added swimming and running to it. The bike racing plan had be on my second round of Base 3 when IMAZ happened, which worked out perfectly. I ramped up to 55 mpw running (from a normal of 40) and did my normal 10K yds/wk swimming. I also increased the long ride. I wish I had done more intensity for my runs, but live and learn. I'll bet a good coach would have had me ramp up intensity earlier but besides that I was pretty happy.
2013-01-08 8:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dothan
We do so many people use Iron Fit? Is it better than the plans on here?
2013-01-09 7:53 AM
in reply to: #4568199

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
bcagle25 - 2013-01-08 12:27 PM

A coach is more then just writing a plan, changing workouts, etc. I coach will notice your strengths/weaknesses, give great advice, how to pace, eat, proper recovery tactics, when you may be over trained. Also a coach is another set of eyes on you and can take put everything into prospective. If you just want to follow a plan, any will get you to the start line. If you want to get to the start line 100% healthy, confident, ready, etc. A coach will go a loooooong way, pending on the coach. 

Exactly. A good coach should review your HR data files, look for your strengths/weaknesses and train to those. A coach shouldn't just write a training plan.

This is why a coach needs to be interviewed prior to being hired. I interviewed someone who told me he didn't review workouts.. "we are adults and you will do your workouts, I trust you". Huh? A coach doesn't review workouts to make sure I'm doing them! Yep, didn't call that guy back.

2013-01-09 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4568201

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
jkintn - 2013-01-08 12:29 PM

Just curious - how much does a coach cost?  I'm sure it is a wide range based on level of involvement, location, etc.  I'm just curious how much people are paying for coaches.  My triathlon budget keeps growing.

I have paid coaches $75.... $125 and $150 a month. There are coaches in my area who charge $250 and $500 a month as well.

$75 a month got me a training plan and minimal contact.

$125 a month got me a training plan and some contact.

$150 a month got me a training plan and weekly contact.

You can check out www.coachfitter.com or look on www.trainingpeaks.com for a coach. I'm sure some of the coaches on here would be willing to give their monthly fees as well. Mine are on my "under construction" website.

2013-01-09 8:19 AM

User image

Elite
Thanks for input , I have read everyone's response .....I thinkk I may pick up be iron fit and read it, seems like it has helped a lot of self coached people.

Re. Kathy G: you bring up a good point,. I do ask a lot of questions here as well in my personal life because I feel we all can learn from others successes and failures and others experiences si I like to get that info from.people and maybe it makes me more knowledgeable as a triathlete and as a person in general.

Due to my inconsistent schedule I fear if I was given a plan by a coach and I kept missing workouts or asking to remodify it , it would be too frustrating to me and thecoach.

Thanks for responses
2013-01-09 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4569576

User image

Expert
Ontario

FELTGood - 2013-01-09 9:19 AM
Due to my inconsistent schedule I fear if I was given a plan by a coach and I kept missing workouts or asking to remodify it , it would be too frustrating to me and thecoach.

I think that is a good reason to hire a coach.  If you work shift work or your life doesn't follow a Mon to Fri 9 - 5 schedule a coach can write a training plan for you that fits your life.  You would want to make sure the coach you hired was willing to work with you to make an individualized plan for your needs.

2013-01-09 9:34 AM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA

I was self-coached for my first three years of racing triathlons. I did Beach-2-Battleship at the end of year 2 in 9:52, and qualified for Vegas 70.3 in my third season, also winning two local sprint races.

This year I was lucky to be selected by a coaching service to be sponsored and receive free coaching for the year. So far, it is taking the guess work out of training. My new coach is already pushing me, but I'm hoping it gets me to Kona!

2013-01-09 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC

1st IM 12:48:15 no coach and didn't follow any set plan.  I'm no rocket but I had a blast.  I think it depends on the person.  My schedule is so wack that organizing my training with another person is out of the question.  But I like training alone anyhow.  Most people do better with others egging them on, some kinda have to have someone kicking them in the butt.  I think if I had the time and $ I'd go with a coach.  It can only help.

This winter I started with a few swim coaching coaching w/ Marty Gaal.  reat coach and I'm getting faster. 

2013-01-09 2:03 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
I did Redman in 2009.  That's the only IM distance I have done and I was self-coached.  My goal was to finish under 12-hours and I finished in 12:23.  I feel missing my goal time was more due to the race starting late due to rain and the bike course was raining and wet for a good part of the race.  I don't think coaching would have prepared me any better for those conditions.  I have never paid a coach.  I enjoy planning and making my own goals.  I gather information and adapt it to how it fits me.  I made a schedule on Excel and tweeked it along the way.  I have a family and a job...I had to be flexible and just focused to get so many hours training a week...I think my peak was about 14-hours.  It's an individual decision but sounds like you understand what is required.  If yu are motivated yu can coach yourself and do just fine.

2013-01-09 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran
what about local tri club . the one in my area does swim squad twice a week $5 entry and $5 for coach to give you tips and does a brick session once a week with bike trainer and track run same thing $5 to coach to give you tips
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Self Coached IM? How did it go? Rss Feed  

of 2