General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OSU Ross TriFit Challenge Triathlon - Columbus, OH Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-08 2:36 PM

New user
Subject: OSU Ross TriFit Challenge Triathlon - Columbus, OH

"Swim at Antrim, Bike to OSU, transition, run and finish inside the 'Shoe!"  On June 30, Join the inaugural TriFit Challenge triathlon to end heart disease. 100% of entry fees go to OSU Ross Heart Hospital for the prevention and treatment of heart disease.

There are 3 distances:  Tri - 0.25 mile swim+12 mile bike+2 mi run; Fit - 0.45 mile swim+12 mile bike+3.1 mile run; Challenge: 0.90 mile swim+25 mile bike+6.2 mile run

Take the CHALLENGE for better heart health! Go to greenswell.com for event and entire heart health series of events.

Edited by Greenswell 2013-01-08 2:37 PM

2013-02-12 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4568525

New user
Subject: RE: OSU Ross TriFit Challenge Triathlon - Columbus, OH
Registration should be opening up end of February. There are 1,500 spots and currently over 4,200 people have signed up to be notified when registration opens.  Exciting event planned!
2013-02-12 6:37 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
This is on my race calendar!  Thanks for giving us the heads up!
2013-02-20 11:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Delaware, OH
Yeah, thanks! I plan on doing it, anxious for signup to open!!
2013-03-07 11:42 AM

New user
Columbus, OH

Got the email that registration is open, yay!! But I was a bit surprised at the price. $162 for a sprint? Is that normal (this is my first outdoor tri)?

2013-03-07 12:02 PM

Definitely surprised too. $200 for a local Oly a few weeks before another local Oly (GE - $125) and Rev3's CP 1/2 at $250. Might have to take this one off the list..

ETA: cbus_runner - The sprints that I've done in this area have ranged from $60 - $100 depending on how big/well-established. Ref. Ultra-Fit's Wendys in June @ $70 (USAT member). 

Edited by jkuss14 2013-03-07 12:06 PM

2013-03-07 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4650274

User image

Veteran
Holy Moly! The olympic tri is $200!
2013-03-07 8:55 PM

User image

Regular
Columbus
wow, I was planning on this race but that's REALLY expensive.  I'll think about it, but it might be off the list.
2013-03-07 10:19 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
Not only is this race a no go for me but a F NO for that cost. To put it in perspective, Grand Fondo Hincappie is 170 and you get a cycling jersey. (not to mention, to ride with one of the hottest men alive). I'm not paying 200 for an OLY, that's just insane.
2013-03-08 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4651197

New user

I understand your reaction to the entry fees but here are some key considerations:

1) Your entry fee goes directly to OSU Ross Heart Hospital and is tax-deductible. It is considered a tax-deductible donation.

2) Your entry fee will be used for life-changing research around cardivascular disease at OSU Ross Heart Hospital. The hospital is a non-profit organization that relies heavily on donation to fund much of the research done.

3) The goal of the triathlon is to raise awareness about the prevention of heart disease through physical activity, proper nutrition, and a positive lifestyle. The obesity rate in Ohio is nearly 30%. There is a whole wellness series that has been developed to get people active and educate them on positive lifestyle.

I appreciate the thoughts on the entry fees. As ambassadors of living a positive lifestyle, if you choose not to register I would encourage you to volunteer and help us carry the torch.

2013-03-08 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4651523

User image

Elite
Cleveland

There is no way I'd ever pay that much for an Olympic distance race. That's ridiculous.

2013-03-08 10:41 AM

I understand the charity aspect of the race, and it is definitely a good cause; however, requiring a $90 - $190 donation is very off-putting. I feel like this would have been better received [by me at least] if the entry fee was more in line with other races in the area, with the opportunity for participants to provide additional donations (either self-funded or through fundraising) at their discretion. Maybe presenting as a fundraising effort for the hospital (i.e. help us raise $200k) would have helped avoid the sticker shock?

Good luck to Greenswell/OSU/Ross in their efforts. I hope the race sells out and I'm sure it will be a great success! 

2013-03-08 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4651523

User image

Delaware, OH
Greenswell - 2013-03-08 9:28 AM

I understand your reaction to the entry fees but here are some key considerations:

1) Your entry fee goes directly to OSU Ross Heart Hospital and is tax-deductible. It is considered a tax-deductible donation.

It's not a tax deduction for everyone- writing off charitable events has limits.  I would have to consult with my accountant to see if I would qualify, but probably not since I have a tiny income and am going to school.

2) Your entry fee will be used for life-changing research around cardivascular disease at OSU Ross Heart Hospital. The hospital is a non-profit organization that relies heavily on donation to fund much of the research done.

That's awesome that it supports the OSU Ross Hearth Hospital but have you looked into the Pelatonia's model of fundraising?  $100 entry fee + if you want to do X distance, you must fund raise Y amount of $$$.  This way Ross Heart is guaranteed $Y.00 amount from the minimum plus they will get the additional bonus of above and beyond fundraising from riders?

3) The goal of the triathlon is to raise awareness about the prevention of heart disease through physical activity, proper nutrition, and a positive lifestyle. The obesity rate in Ohio is nearly 30%. There is a whole wellness series that has been developed to get people active and educate them on positive lifestyle.

I appreciate the thoughts on the entry fees. As ambassadors of living a positive lifestyle, if you choose not to register I would encourage you to volunteer and help us carry the torch.

I guess I was so looking forward to this event and I understand about raising money that goes towards a good cause.  I've done the 100 and 180 mile Pelatonia, raising over $4,000 the past two years for the James.  The shock of the cost just caused me to be a bit harsh in my previous post and I apologize for my previous response.  As a student in a healthcare profession, I am trying to not incur more student loans/debt than is necessary so my race budget is tighter than a skin suit on Fabian Cancellara.  I will gladly help volunteer and just signed up online. 

Here's the link for anyone else who wants to sign up to volunteer: (crosses fingers for body marking!)

http://www.rosswellnessseries.org/site/TR/Events/General?sid=1019&type=fr_informational&pg=informational&fr_id=1040

2013-03-09 12:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Delaware, OH
I echo all the other sentiments about the cost of this race.  I too was SO excited about this new race, new venue and awesome opportunity.  I support Greenswell in their efforts and all the past Greenswell races I have done (and there have been many) have been very well put on.  Unfortunately with my budget and my income I will be taking this race off my calendar.  I will be doing Tri-Tech instead (which is around the same time and an AWESOME event, at a more reasonable price).  I wish I was rich enough to afford something like this, and it kind of leads me to believe possibly that Greenswell is targeting the higher income triathletes in the area.  I will keep that in mind.
2013-03-10 10:48 AM

User image

Expert
Columbus

Greenswell is a great organization.  MOst races are very affordable.

I think the mistake with this one was not separating the charity.

A participant can still "fund raise" unofficially.  Tell people you are doing a race to fight cancer and fees are doubled for the cause.  Ask 10 people if they will donate $10 each or 1 person for $100 which you match.  Problem solved (be sure they understand that he donation is not taxa deductible unless they make the full payment for the tri).  Next year Greenswell should promote it this way -which would enable donations to be tax deductible, gain participants and increase funds.

2013-03-11 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4653644

New user

I appreciate the passion in everyone's comments. What I think is missing in the fact pattern is the entry fee is tax-deductible charitable contribution and goes directly to the Ross Heart Hospital. No portion of it comes to Greenswell. The purpose behind the creation of this triathlon was to fund research into the treatment and prevention of heart disease - the No. 1 cause of death in the U.S. and in Ohio.

Keep in mind that a number of people that will be participating in this triathlon are either doing so in memory of or in the name of a loved one impacted by heart disease and there are participants themself that have cardiovacular disease (see the participant stories on OSU Ross TriFit Facebook).  If you were personally impacted by heart disease in some way, would you want someone discouraging others or posting discouraging comments against participating in an event designed to help them fight and treat the disease?

I know participating in any event is a personal choice based on a number of personal factors, I would only encourage you to think about those impacted by these disease before making comments against the event. And if you choose not support the event as a participant, please sign-up to volunteer. We could use your support that way.

Thanks,

Craig

2013-03-11 6:12 PM
in reply to: #4654644

User image

Expert
Columbus
Greenswell - 2013-03-11 9:47 AM

the entry fee is tax-deductible charitable contribution and goes directly to the Ross Heart Hospital. No portion of it comes to Greenswell.

Worth restating.

holy cow! 

2013-03-27 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4654644

User image

Greenswell - 2013-03-11 9:47 AM

I appreciate the passion in everyone's comments. What I think is missing in the fact pattern is the entry fee is tax-deductible charitable contribution and goes directly to the Ross Heart Hospital. No portion of it comes to Greenswell. The purpose behind the creation of this triathlon was to fund research into the treatment and prevention of heart disease - the No. 1 cause of death in the U.S. and in Ohio.

Keep in mind that a number of people that will be participating in this triathlon are either doing so in memory of or in the name of a loved one impacted by heart disease and there are participants themself that have cardiovacular disease (see the participant stories on OSU Ross TriFit Facebook).  If you were personally impacted by heart disease in some way, would you want someone discouraging others or posting discouraging comments against participating in an event designed to help them fight and treat the disease?

I know participating in any event is a personal choice based on a number of personal factors, I would only encourage you to think about those impacted by these disease before making comments against the event. And if you choose not support the event as a participant, please sign-up to volunteer. We could use your support that way.

Thanks,

Craig

While all of this is great, you have likely lost people who would have participated if the price was even $100-$120.  That means you now have to get twice as many people to register to make up for those who won't because they know this price for an Oly is outrageous.  I question the tactic then, being that it is entirely possible for you to still raise a significant amount of money with more participants, bringing more awareness to the disease by offering entry at a reasonable price.  You are also likely losing many first time triathletes as they probably don't want to drop big bucks on their first event.  My hope is that this price doesn't stop them from training and getting healthy themselves. I also don't think it's fair to imply that because people are upset about the price of this event that it is somehow an affront to people affected by heart disease.  My grandmother died of heart disease and she would have told me not to do this event because of the price. Triathletes are passionate, caring people and will get behind causes with great force.  I would perhaps look at the reaction and consider changing the price in the future.

2013-04-07 10:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
I get what everyone has been saying and although it's a great charity, I was shocked by the price tag as well. It's just too much for me when I'm trying to attend several events this year. Bummer.
2013-04-30 8:40 AM

I can't do the event for reasons other than money, but have seen/heard this same reaction in several different places. Triathlon is not a cheap sport! Don't some of you ride tri bikes that cost thousands of dollars (or at least spend hundreds to upgrade your road bike)? Don't some of you drop nearly the registration price on a pair of running shoes? What about the cost of a wetsuit, trisuit/bike shorts, helmet, bike shoes, Ironman race entries, etc., etc., etc.? I've been really surprised to hear such a reaction about the price (to the point that I'm finally breaking my silence to speak up).
2013-05-03 6:04 AM
in reply to: #4720418

User image

Just 5 minutes past Diary Queen
I had the same reaction when heard the entry fee. But I've come around when thought about my own spending habits. I pay my tri coach close to $150/mo for a training plan and just paid $250 for a new trisuit. Last year, I bought a Felt for $2,300. I'm shopping for a new wetsuit that will cost me over $300. I signed up for the Philadelphia olympic and paid $175 and airfare cost me $240. The tax-deductible entry fee makes no difference for me because I'm a 1040EZ filer. But I would rather have another triathlon option in the area vs another $80 sprint triathlon at Alum Creek that has no charity tie-in and all I get is a banana, a few cookies, and trail mix at the end.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OSU Ross TriFit Challenge Triathlon - Columbus, OH Rss Feed