in reply to: #4579995

User image

Subject: RE: Lance on Oprah
npenner02 - 2013-01-15 2:13 PM
JohnnyKay - 2013-01-15 3:46 PM
ChrisM - 2013-01-15 4:35 PM
npenner02 - 2013-01-15 1:19 PM

Here is an interesting question to ponder:

Is it better to have had Lance dope, when 7 titles and start the Livestrong Foundation to help cancer patients (it spent between $25-$29 million the last few years on cancer stuff) or would the world have been a better place if he had never doped, never won the titles and Livestrong would have just been another ho-hum organization with very little support?

Coming from a noncyle background the sport is bigger in the USA because of LA.  No question about it.  Without him winning it very few American's would have ever tuned into watch.

I love the cancer angle, as if it cancels everything out.  LA certainly played it well. 

Apparently, if others did it, it also cancels everything out.  I am sure when he explains all this on Oprah, the world will understand it is better off for having him doped.

My last sentence probably jaded the results.  I'm not playing any cancer angle but you can't answer the question of whether or not LA doping and the Livestrong results is better for the rest of the world then him not doping without bringing up cancer... since you know, Livestrong benefits cancer patients. 

Because it's not a really fair question, as it presents only two alternatives in a black and white world, and assumes the truth of one answer.

Sort of like saying is it OK that Bernie Madoff stole all that money if he started a charity with part of it that saved lives?  And yes, LA "stole" his millions, from sponsors, other racers, teams, etc.,

2013-01-15 6:46 PM
in reply to: #4579883

Veteran
Indiana

velocomp - 2013-01-15 4:20 PM

It is ridiculous to call his behavior disgusting.  Unethical sure, but this is a far cry from being a rapist, murderer, child molester, drug dealer, etc.  

The fact is that the majority of cyclists did virtually the same thing.  In fact, you can go as far back to the early days of the Tour and find lying and cheating and drugs.  

Lance Armstrong: Not as Sleazy as Rapists or Child Molesters.

It could be his new comeback slogan.

I used to have the same idea I see expressed here a lot; if Lance wasn't really playing a sport called "cycling" but was in fact playing "juiced cycling," and all the other competitors were, too, then heck, call it even. But with everything that's come out about the corruption, and pressuring other cyclists to take drugs, and blacklisting people... no, he wasn't just another dude playing on the level playing field of "juiced cycling." Taking the Mafia as an analogy; OK, sure, so most of the cyclists were connected... but if Lance was the Don, he's more culpable.

2013-01-15 7:22 PM
in reply to: #4580023

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
JohnnyKay - 2013-01-15 4:30 PM 

If I steal from the rich and give to the poor, would the world be a better place?

Sounds like you plan on running as a Democrat.

Cool

2013-01-15 7:53 PM
in reply to: #4568899

User image

Veteran
Tampa

Ohoh

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/15/us-cycling-armstrong-olympics-idUSBRE90E0ZU20130115

2013-01-16 12:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
Couldn't resist the following, for anyone who watches the interview Laughing

(Bingostrong small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Bingostrong small.jpg (75KB - 17 downloads)
2013-01-16 5:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Berlin, Germany

... and while most people get wound up over LA discussing his "bad" and his "good" sides - hasn't it been made clear that for his doping to be successful and undetected there (must) have been various corrupt officials in various cycling organizations lending him a blind eye?

Everybody is passing judgement on LA - some more and some less emotionally - but what about the facilitators? What about the well paid officials who cheated on their jobs? What about cycling organizations who - as it seems to turn out - simply turned their heads, all "in the interest of cycling"? One may have different opinions about LA, but there is only ONE opinion about the corrupt cycling officials and organizations in my mind: they should be thrown out - life time ban from Cycling! Those people betrayed the trust put into them, and took advantage of their position ... have they done ANYTHING good for the sport? Or for ANYTHING? Corrupt bastards, throw them out, say I.

Yell

2013-01-16 8:28 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Everyone has character flaws.....and if you think you do not, that is yours.

Lance is a big celebrity and like most celebrities, have a skewed view of the world. For whatever reason, fame and fortune tends to color their reality in a way that we 'commoners' can't understand.

7 billion people on the planet and Lance is no better and no worse than most of them.
2013-01-16 9:15 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

The thing that bothers me is how Lance's former sponsors scattered like rats off a sinking ship when the news broke.  These guys made millions off their association with Armstrong.  I absolutely can't believe that the folks from Nike, Trek, Oakley, etc. who were involved in the sport as insiders didn't suspect anything.  They have to be either liars or idiots. 

With all the rumors and allegations floating around for years, wouldn't you think that a large corporation would do their own due diligence?  Were they all so naive just to take Lance's word that he was clean?  Or did they ever bother to ask him?  I suspect they just turned a blind eye to not kill the golden goose.

I have to think that they all had a strategy in place to wait until Lance got himself caught.  Milk the profits as long as possible, then cut and run, taking a holier-than-thou attitude, and pretending that they didn't know anything. 

Mark  

2013-01-16 9:15 AM
in reply to: #4580031

User image

Elite
Ontario
ChrisM - 2013-01-15 5:38 PM

Because it's not a really fair question, as it presents only two alternatives in a black and white world, and assumes the truth of one answer.

Sort of like saying is it OK that Bernie Madoff stole all that money if he started a charity with part of it that saved lives?  And yes, LA "stole" his millions, from sponsors, other racers, teams, etc.,

Dont' forget though, there were a lot of people and organizations that profited from his success.  The sponsors especially.  Any of them that come forward looking for payback of monies paid to him should likely look at their balance sheets before and after sponsoring him.  I'm sure he made most, if not all, of them a lot more money than what they paid him.

As to other racers and teams - there were those who suffered and there were those who profited greatly if they chose to join the Armstrong express.  And I agree with a previous poster who said that the real root of the problem were the governing bodies who implicitly or explicitly were involved in the cheating by US Postal.

2013-01-16 10:21 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
The subject line of this thread is not pretty......
2013-01-16 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4580841

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
GoFaster - 2013-01-16 9:15 AM

Dont' forget though, there were a lot of people and organizations that profited from his success.  The sponsors especially.  Any of them that come forward looking for payback of monies paid to him should likely look at their balance sheets before and after sponsoring him.  I'm sure he made most, if not all, of them a lot more money than what they paid him.

As to other racers and teams - there were those who suffered and there were those who profited greatly if they chose to join the Armstrong express.  And I agree with a previous poster who said that the real root of the problem were the governing bodies who implicitly or explicitly were involved in the cheating by US Postal.

If Lance's sponsors made also made money off his deception, shouldn't we as customers of those sponsors also be able to sue them? After all, they wrapped themselves in the cloak of his deception to sell us their products. If they get their money back, where's mine? And why should they be able to profit-- twice-- from Armstrong's duplicity?

It gets a little ridiculous.

2013-01-16 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4580023

User image

Wichita
JohnnyKay - 2013-01-15 4:30 PM
npenner02 - 2013-01-15 5:13 PM

My last sentence probably jaded the results.  I'm not playing any cancer angle but you can't answer the question of whether or not LA doping and the Livestrong results is better for the rest of the world then him not doping without bringing up cancer... since you know, Livestrong benefits cancer patients. 

If I steal from the rich and give to the poor, would the world be a better place?

It's the same idea.  And I assume someone will make a good argument why it, in fact, is.  However, I do not buy the logic necessary to get from A-to-Z in those cases.  My answer is the same.  No.

Very good comparison.  The whole thing just got me thinking and I was wondering what other's thoughts were.

2013-01-16 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4580031

User image

Wichita
ChrisM - 2013-01-15 4:38 PM
npenner02 - 2013-01-15 2:13 PM
JohnnyKay - 2013-01-15 3:46 PM
ChrisM - 2013-01-15 4:35 PM
npenner02 - 2013-01-15 1:19 PM

Here is an interesting question to ponder:

Is it better to have had Lance dope, when 7 titles and start the Livestrong Foundation to help cancer patients (it spent between $25-$29 million the last few years on cancer stuff) or would the world have been a better place if he had never doped, never won the titles and Livestrong would have just been another ho-hum organization with very little support?

Coming from a noncyle background the sport is bigger in the USA because of LA.  No question about it.  Without him winning it very few American's would have ever tuned into watch.

I love the cancer angle, as if it cancels everything out.  LA certainly played it well. 

Apparently, if others did it, it also cancels everything out.  I am sure when he explains all this on Oprah, the world will understand it is better off for having him doped.

Well that is the way I wanted the question posed because while there could have been a million different scenarios I wanted to know people's opinion on the subject if the alternative was knowing that Livestrong wouldn't have been so successful.  Obviously we don't know if it would or wouldn't.

I get your point on Madoff but in my opinion it doesn't completely compare to Livestrong.  People who gave to Livestrong knew they were getting no return other then a bracelot or shirt or tax write off.  Madoff was supposed to be investing peoples money and giving it back.  As for sponsors, don't kid yourself he didn't steal anything from them.  They made far more money off him then he made from the sponsors.  And the great thing is that they dump him now (already did) and move onto the next star for endorsements and suffer no real damage.  You can make a case for stealing from teams and other riders because if he didn't dope he doesn't win and someone else does.

2013-01-16 10:46 AM
in reply to: #4580839

User image

Wichita
RedCorvette - 2013-01-16 9:15 AM

The thing that bothers me is how Lance's former sponsors scattered like rats off a sinking ship when the news broke.  These guys made millions off their association with Armstrong.  I absolutely can't believe that the folks from Nike, Trek, Oakley, etc. who were involved in the sport as insiders didn't suspect anything.  They have to be either liars or idiots. 

With all the rumors and allegations floating around for years, wouldn't you think that a large corporation would do their own due diligence?  Were they all so naive just to take Lance's word that he was clean?  Or did they ever bother to ask him?  I suspect they just turned a blind eye to not kill the golden goose.

I have to think that they all had a strategy in place to wait until Lance got himself caught.  Milk the profits as long as possible, then cut and run, taking a holier-than-thou attitude, and pretending that they didn't know anything. 

Mark  

Your last sentence is correct.  They never cut in run while someone is making them money, especially a superstar.  They care more about the bottom dollar.  Plus, as long as he was still passing all the tests they had plausible deniability.  

2013-01-16 10:49 AM

User image

Pro

You realize that a lot of this simply comes down to how badly WADA/USADA and the US Government want to know how he did what he did and not get caught, and what kind of deal he can expect in return.

Given that this is the only real upside to LA coming clean, I predict he cuts an impressive deal with USADA/WADA, settles the whistleblower lawsuit with Landis, and the UCI is hung out to dry.

And you know what? In the end he actually will have done something good for cycling.

2013-01-16 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4580839

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Mark  

I agree. 100%.

2013-01-16 11:05 AM
in reply to: #4580735

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Rogillio - 2013-01-16 9:28 AM Everyone has character flaws.....and if you think you do not, that is yours. Lance is a big celebrity and like most celebrities, have a skewed view of the world. For whatever reason, fame and fortune tends to color their reality in a way that we 'commoners' can't understand. 7 billion people on the planet and Lance is no better and no worse than most of them.

I agree with this.  Power and fame and create a rather distorted view of reality.

Blame Lance, blame the other known cheaters, the organizations, the sponsors; but here we all are, talking about it, anxiously awaiting every word that will come out of this guy's mouth when it airs tomorrow.  Celebrity, whether sports or otherwise is a big machine and we're kind of all guilty of feeding it.

2013-01-16 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4581062

User image

Extreme Veteran
Whizzzzz - 2013-01-16 11:57 AM

Mark  

I agree. 100%.

Big companies only care about one thing: $$$$$

2013-01-16 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4581077

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
noelle1230 - 2013-01-16 12:05 PM

Rogillio - 2013-01-16 9:28 AM Everyone has character flaws.....and if you think you do not, that is yours. Lance is a big celebrity and like most celebrities, have a skewed view of the world. For whatever reason, fame and fortune tends to color their reality in a way that we 'commoners' can't understand. 7 billion people on the planet and Lance is no better and no worse than most of them.

I agree with this.  Power and fame and create a rather distorted view of reality.

I think that is part of it, but I also think that people will continue to cheat as long as there are no consequences of doing so.  If you don't get caught, then it just emboldens you to continue.  Lance went a long, long time without getting caught, no doubt due both to his skill in cheating and the incompetence and/or complicity of the organizers.

Mark

2013-01-16 11:29 AM
in reply to: #4581019

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

npenner02 - 2013-01-16 11:42 AM

As for sponsors, don't kid yourself he didn't steal anything from them.  They made far more money off him then he made from the sponsors.  

That's an awfully narrow definition of stealing.  Acquired under false pretenses would seem to qualify.  And in the same way that prize money or jobs may have gone to others, so would have his sponsorship money.

I'm OK with questioning the ethics of any of the sponsors and/or sport officials.  Certainly LA wasn't the only "bad actor".  But none of that makes "OK" any of the things LA apperently did, nor his behavior around it.

2013-01-16 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4581122

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
camaleon - 2013-01-16 12:27 PM
Whizzzzz - 2013-01-16 11:57 AM

Mark  

I agree. 100%.

Big companies only care about one thing: $$$$$

I keep thinking about this commercial; was Nike just a pawn or an active partner in Lance's "The best defense is a good offense" strategy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIl5RxhLZ5U

Need a pair of running shoes soon, thinking I may look at something other than Nikes this time...

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2013-01-16 11:41 AM

2013-01-16 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4579978

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Dan-L - 2013-01-15 5:04 PM

I wish absolutely no-one would watch it. Zero ratings and viewing figures.  This is a self serving road show that is completely self motivated.

I don't want to see the guy harassed into an early grave, I just want him to go away and stop spreading his lies and deception.

He can only damage triathlon by being allowed to do it.

Have to feel for all the officials, competitors and aspiring athletes that never go their chance or were made to feel like they had no integrity in the face of the Armstrong machine.

This sums up my opinions well ... and I didn't even have to type it.

2013-01-16 12:11 PM

User image

2013-01-16 12:32 PM
in reply to: #4580995

User image

Elite
Ontario
scoobysdad - 2013-01-16 11:27 AM
GoFaster - 2013-01-16 9:15 AM

If Lance's sponsors made also made money off his deception, shouldn't we as customers of those sponsors also be able to sue them? After all, they wrapped themselves in the cloak of his deception to sell us their products. If they get their money back, where's mine? And why should they be able to profit-- twice-- from Armstrong's duplicity? It gets a little ridiculous.

Wait, your Oakleys didn't make you faster????  Mine did.

2013-01-16 3:00 PM

Master
, California

http://www.theonion.com/articles/lance-armstrong-admits-to-using-performanceenhanci,30912/

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lance on Oprah Rss Feed  

of 8