General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racine or Muncie Half? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-09 6:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Racine or Muncie Half?

I don't know which half to go with for my first Half Ironman distance.  I really do not have another option than these two becuase they are during the summer time when the family and I can go.  I could do Buffalo Springs here in Texas but what fun would that be and I understand it's grueling.  My thoughts so far:  

Racine - Water is much colder, which I am not use to being from Texas, but would pretty much ensure wetsuit swim.  Appears to be a more challenging bike course.  Unsure if you can camp at the race sight.

Muncie - Water is much hotter, no wetsuit.  Shortened greatly last year due to heat, which would have crushed me after putting in the work, travel, money, and being my first.  Appears to have better crowd and support from the locals.  Has camping on location.  Flat bike, with what I understand to be a more challenging run than Racine. 

I just can't decide and want to make sure the first is a family friendly and good venue.  Sorry if I am incorrect on my beliefs from what I've seen, that's the reason I ask the question.  I just want to make the most informed decision I can.

Thanks in advance to those that provide feedback. 

2013-01-09 7:25 PM
in reply to: #4570863

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Racine or Muncie Half?
I've done Racine twice and grew up in the area and now live in FL. The water is not that cold (numbing). The water quality is very nice. The bike course is not what i would consider challenging. I didn't like the road conditions as I'm used to riding on great roads. In fact the second year I lost my seat bolt and ended up riding carrying my seat for about 20miles. There is no camping at the race site, but I'm sure there are campgrounds in the county area. The run course is very spectator friendly as it runs along the waterfront. Alot of cheering patrons for support. It's fairly hot and humid, but you're used to that if your from TX. The beach is nice and you're kids will like it. Racine has a very quaint downtown where the race is located, very walkable and friendly.

After the race (next day, before, etc) you have tons of options for your family. Your sandwiched between Milwaukee and Chicago. Baseball games, Six flags in Gurnee IL, Milwaukee Zoo, Brookfield zoo outside of Chicago, Lincoln Park zoo in the city of Chicago. Tons of arts, quality restaraunts, etc. Or you can go about 2.5 hours farther and take them to the famous WI Dells and let them enjoy the water parks.

I plan on doing Racine again and recommend it.
2013-01-09 7:33 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Hunting Triathlete - 2013-01-09 6:25 PM

I don't know which half to go with for my first Half Ironman distance.  I really do not have another option than these two becuase they are during the summer time when the family and I can go.  I could do Buffalo Springs here in Texas but what fun would that be and I understand it's grueling.  My thoughts so far:  

Racine - Water is much colder, which I am not use to being from Texas, but would pretty much ensure wetsuit swim.  Appears to be a more challenging bike course.  Unsure if you can camp at the race sight.

Muncie - Water is much hotter, no wetsuit.  Shortened greatly last year due to heat, which would have crushed me after putting in the work, travel, money, and being my first.  Appears to have better crowd and support from the locals.  Has camping on location.  Flat bike, with what I understand to be a more challenging run than Racine. 

I just can't decide and want to make sure the first is a family friendly and good venue.  Sorry if I am incorrect on my beliefs from what I've seen, that's the reason I ask the question.  I just want to make the most informed decision I can.

Thanks in advance to those that provide feedback. 

I have done both. (Racine 2010, Muncie 2011) I believe you have all the right issues in mind.  

I'm not a camper, so I believe that perhaps would change my view,  and I did enjoy Muncie,  But I would do Racine. 

Muncie volunteers were better, more "into" it. 

Racine  the race site is downtown.   def no camping.     But camp grounds are not crazy far away and plenty of parking on race day.    Muncie campground is right there where you would want it to be.    

Swim:

Muncie that lake.... ugh  70.3 no wet suit.  That was no fun.    

Racine cold water thing is overblown.  you are fine in a wetsuit.  cold for first 100 yards then you won't even think about it.       Swim at Racine is much more enjoyable.

Bike:  

Muncie   I did like that course.  nice roads

Racine course is similar to Muncie.    no worries in my opinion on the "Racine roads are bad"  again way overblown. certainly not what I would think of as a "challenging" bike course.  Really pretty similar in terms of difficulty.  of course there are sections that are not as good as others.

RUN: 

Muncie  yes its a tougher run course.   Some long boring stretches  out and back.    volunteers help to break it up.

Racine: I think more stuff to look at,  run along the lake. through neighborhoods.  thru the town.  TWICE tho. hate that part.  

Both were REALLY HOT and Humid.    REALLY REALLY hot/humid.   did I say REALLY??  yes yes it was.     Oh and I found out I am def sponge worthy.  As I was running with like 18 cold water sponges deposited everywhere I could stuff on the run. 

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

2013-01-09 9:03 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Raced Racine in 2011 and will do so again this year. Swim is nice, point to point. Water is cold based only on the fact the air is usually so hot and humid. Wetsuit and the water is refreshing and water is quite clear the whole swim. Wide swim area, quite calm if no storms a brewin and best part is you can chill in the water by the shore if you are in a later wave. Bike is flat, few rolling hills but hills is being generous...nothing you need to come out of saddle for. There are parts, mostly beginning and end, that have rough patches or divots between concrete slabs. Most of the roads are quite nice. Run has 1 hill you run twice. Good crowds as others said. Can get tough towards the end with the heat and humidity taking hold.Best parts of Racine is the great WI people and the laid back nature of the race. Tons of portolets at t1 so there is not a lot of waiting and the whole race area is spread out so you do feel like you are on top of other racers. Wildcard is the weather...I'm hoping for cloudy and 75 degrees!
2013-01-10 2:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thank you for the responses I really appreciate it, and welcome more.
2013-01-10 3:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
the real question is hot do you like to race. Racine has been in the mid 90's the last few years while muncie has had some high 90's temps

2013-01-10 3:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Buck - The heat is not really an issue for me other than worrying about which race is more likely to be shortened because of it. Being from Houston area of Texas, a mid 90 day in July there, would likely be a 101 day here and likely with more humidity.  I am noticing though through responses that Munice has been roughly 5 degrees warmer, so I see what you are getting at.
2013-01-10 6:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I am not a heat person ended up in the med tent twice at racine

2013-01-10 7:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Haven't had that happen, but then again I haven't completed a Half Ironman either.Undecided
2013-01-10 7:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yes it was hot at Muncie in 2012 but as long as you plan for it you should be fine.  I wore cool wings and carried a water bottle for the entire run.  Filled it up at aid stations and generously doused my head/neck.  x2 on the sponges and ice as well... ice down the shorts helps a lot.

Whether it's 95 or 100 degrees it pretty much feels the same.... HOT!

I am considering racing Muncie again this year.

2013-01-11 3:48 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
I have raced Racine several times, even when it was just the Spirit of Racine race before becoming an Mdot 70.3 race, and would recommend it to anyone.   Haven't done Muncie so no comparison to make but I would be prepared for heat in either race.

2013-01-11 11:14 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Does Muncie sell out?  If so, usually when?
2013-01-12 11:51 AM

User image

Expert

I have done Racine twice and never Muncie so nothing to really compare with.  I really like Racine and will do it again this year.  I believe there is a campsite within 15-20 minutes of North Beach (race start) called Cliffside Park.  For family the beach and park will keep kids entertained the whole day while you are racing.

The bike is not a difficult course and what gives it the bad rep are the bumps in portions of the road - but honestly they were much worse the first year when I wasn't expecting it, the next year I hardly noticed it.  Coming from Texas the heat shouldn't bother you that much but the last two years have been brutal - hopefully this year will be back to normal temps!

Added bonus - the last few years Craig Alexander has raced Racine - not sure if he will be there again next year but kinda cool to race with one of greatest Ironman World Champions.  The M35-39 swim wave is always last so I have been able to watch him come out of water and T1 before I race.

Good luck deciding!

Edited by tmoran80 2013-01-12 11:52 AM
2013-01-14 12:06 PM

Veteran

The last three years Racine has been RIDICUOUSLY hot on the run. Freak occurence I believe but nonetheless....so bad.

The bike route is fine EXCEPT....for the first 5 and last 5 miles (same road out and back). The bumps in the road are horrible. Oh yea...they have a water aid station at mile 15. NOONE needs water at mile 15 as EVERYONE has a bottle of water on their bikes at this point.  BUT on the return route thats like mile 40...there is no water. they should flip that aid station for when you need it and make it mile 40 and not have it at mile 15.y

The swim...cold but great cause after 100 meters out you are in clear water straight for one mile.  If you only breath on your right side...never have to worry about water in your mouth

2013-01-15 5:31 PM

New user
Key West
I hate to hijack the thread but I am looking at Mdot 70.3 races as well. Do one of these courses have a closed bike course? I think I read that Muncie does, but does Racine? After having just done a HIM without a closed bike course, on a really narrow two lane most requiring shoulder ride (narrow and poor condition in many places), I would like to find an Mdot with a closed bicycle course. Thanks
2013-01-15 6:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have raced Muncie several times and love the race.  I actually liked the race better when it was independent (prior to WTC buying it and it becoming a half M-dot).  It is still a good race and a nice after party. 

Flat and fast course.  The weather can be a challenge.  I have raced it during rain, hail, and strong wind.  I have also raced it when it has been very, very hot and humid.  Some years wetsuit legal and some years non-wetsuit. 

Be ready for anything!  :-)

2013-01-18 10:39 PM

User image

Regular
Fishers, Indiana
I am also considering both of these races this year. I have also thought about steelhead a month later. How does that one compare to Racine and Muncie? Thanks for the input.
2013-01-18 11:57 PM
in reply to: #4585617

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

jpzaleski - 2013-01-18 10:39 PM I am also considering both of these races this year. I have also thought about steelhead a month later. How does that one compare to Racine and Muncie? Thanks for the input.

I posted earlier RE: Racine vs. Muncie      I also raced the Steelhead 69.1 in 2011    can't tell you about the swim. The sea was very very angry that day, and thus swim was cancelled.      The bike ended up being a time trial start where every few seconds another rider could start.   It was miserably cold at first.    But its a fast bike course.   I really liked the course  but it was slick from drizzle so had to take it easy a bit on first half.  

Run?   Ok this is not a fun run course.   Running the whirlpool run trails on on even terrain  one monster hll and along some unscenic highway like run shoulder  not so great.    So Steelhead not a great experience for me.   Oh and unless you get a hotel booked very early  you cannot stay anywhere near Benton harbor.   We ended up over 30 miles away in South Bend IN.  

So Racine #1, Muncie #2,  Steelhead a distant 3rd.   for me.

2013-01-22 5:06 AM

User image

Veteran

I did Racine last year and LOVED it. It was my first half so I have nothing to compare it to.

The swim was amazing, wetsuit kept my warm and the water was beautiful. At one point the gentile waves where rocking my body and I totally forgot that I was suppose to be racing and just relaxed for a few moments. Totally worth the extra time on the swim.

The bike was great also. My only complaint would be the almost constant ba-bumps in the road. By time end of the course my arms, shoulder and (ahem) other parts where sore as all get. But the volunteers at the aid stations where fantasic as where the crowds.

The run was amazing too. Sadly I had to walk almost all of it due to a hip/pelvic/knee issue acting up. Almost the entire course was lined with people. Several of them where standing out with garden hoses offering a wet down with cold water which felt wonderful.

Over all I had a great time even with the old injury slowing me down. I would highly recomend it at least once in a person's tri career.

2013-01-28 9:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Wow, I stumbled on this thread after debating back and forth for a while on which one to do..  Decision made and hotel booked.  Racine wins!  Laughing
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racine or Muncie Half? Rss Feed