Other Resources My Cup of Joe » How many cyclists in Philadelphia are breaking the city's knife laws? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-01-10 2:26 PM
in reply to: #4572472

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: How many cyclists in Philadelphia are breaking the city's knife laws?
Goosedog - 2013-01-10 12:18 PM

I recommend the Spyderco Cricket for office settings.    http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=17

For weekends, you can't go wrong with the Spyderco Salt I.  https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=40

Now what would Rambo do with that?  (or Crocodile Dundee)

now THAT'S a knife.

Edited by Kido 2013-01-10 2:26 PM

2013-01-10 2:28 PM
in reply to: #4572486

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Subject: RE: How many cyclists in Philadelphia are breaking the city's knife laws?
Kido - 2013-01-10 3:24 PM
ChrisM - 2013-01-10 12:17 PM

that's what teeth are for

Yep.  The TRUE multi tool.  cutting loose threads from cloths, opening up chip bags, tearing tape, and to my wife's chagrin, biting off the little plasting thingies that hold tags on new clothes.

That works for those of you who did not take out your two front teeth as a youngster.  Crowns are not as sharp or as good at getting at the little things.

2013-01-10 2:28 PM
in reply to: #4572230

User image

Pro
Evanston,

But anyway: it is a silly law, overly broad at best.  A law like this becomes a problem when there's disparate enforcement.

Most of us scoff at the thought of getting booked for carrying a pocketknife.  You're right, we probably won't be---"we" being a relatively affluent and mostly white crowd.  When ordinances like the knife law are being selectively enforced against people who the police target for unconstitutional reasons (particularly race), then that's where we get into dicey constitutional territory.

(An aside: passed in 1968, this was probably intended to deal with gang fighting at the time, when the bad side of gang fighting involved knives.  Now they have guns.  Which is a separate issue, in my view, though perhaps not in don's.)

2013-01-10 2:32 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
When you're a Jet
You're a Jet all the way
2013-01-10 2:35 PM
in reply to: #4572473

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Kido - 

I think it's fun how you are trying to make people into hypocrites by comparing the current gun law situation with outdated and non relevant knife laws.

I'm not trying to show anyone to be a hypocrite.

Look, this is a stupid law.
I actually abide by this stupid law.
I teach my kids to abide by this law. 

It's related to gun laws in that it involves weapons.
That's serious business when it comes to the law. 

Dangerous criminals are not going to follow the knife laws in Philadelphia.
The only people who follow this law are law abiding citizens.

The only people who are going to follow any new gun laws
are people who respect the law.
Those are not the people you need to be worried about in the first place. 

Edited by dontracy 2013-01-10 2:35 PM
2013-01-10 2:35 PM
in reply to: #4572444

User image

Pro
Kido - 2013-01-10 3:06 PM
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-01-10 12:04 PM

Wow, I was 6 when this was passed

I'd never even heard of this. I'm assuming that interpretation  relies on the definition of  the word word weapon, because there are plenty of stores in Philly that sell pocketknives. My son and I bought new ones like 2 months ago. In theory then I've violated this law every time I've biked with my multitool, and almost every day I remember to stick my 2" pocketknife in my pants. Anyway, cops here likely don't even know that law or would think about enforcing it.

You ought to see what my son carries to culinary school every day!

Right!  I had a friend in culinary school...  I was like "who are you, Dexter?"

First day at his restaurant job my son asks for something small to carry his stuff in, so I give him a mesh bag from some race. Rather than take his knife roll, he throws his 12" chef's knife and a couple other knives into the bad and heads out to the bus. I had to explain to him that it was probably a bad idea, wrap them in a towel so the handles aren't sticking out

2013-01-10 2:38 PM

User image

I find it's not the carrying of knives that's dangerous......

it's the dancing with them....

2013-01-10 2:39 PM
in reply to: #4572523

User image

NC

BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-01-10 3:35 PM

Rather than take his knife roll, he throws his 12" chef's knife and a couple other knives into the bad and heads out to the bus. I had to explain to him that it was probably a bad idea, wrap them in a towel so the handles aren't sticking out

Good grief.  Forget the handles, this can't be good for the edges.

2013-01-10 2:42 PM
in reply to: #4572499

User image

CitySky - 

But anyway: it is a silly law, overly broad at best.  A law like this becomes a problem when there's disparate enforcement.

Most of us scoff at the thought of getting booked for carrying a pocketknife.  You're right, we probably won't be---"we" being a relatively affluent and mostly white crowd.  When ordinances like the knife law are being selectively enforced against people who the police target for unconstitutional reasons (particularly race), then that's where we get into dicey constitutional territory.

(An aside: passed in 1968, this was probably intended to deal with gang fighting at the time, when the bad side of gang fighting involved knives.  Now they have guns.  Which is a separate issue, in my view, though perhaps not in don's.)

Ah, a breath of fresh air!

2013-01-10 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4572541

User image

dontracy - 2013-01-10 12:42 PM
CitySky - 

Ah, a breath of fresh air!

Stop trying to derail the derailment.  it's futile

2013-01-10 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4572522

User image

Sensei
Sin City
dontracy - 2013-01-10 12:35 PM
Kido - 

I think it's fun how you are trying to make people into hypocrites by comparing the current gun law situation with outdated and non relevant knife laws.

I 100% agree with this so I guess I just don't get the comparison AT ALL then.

Is the converse true then?  Since I WILL NOT follow, or "respect" the law about having a 1.5" knife IF it was part of my multi tool in my saddle bag of my bike, then I won't follow gun laws?  Or if I don't respect the law for shooting signal rockets or letting my donkey sleep in the bathtub?

Furthermore, how is a multi tool blade a "weapon".  Just because it has a sharp edge?  A utility knife?  Shard of glass?  I bet a bat or hammer has been used as a "weapon" far more than a multi tool blade. 

I guess I'm not seeing the connection you are trying to make on bit and can't see the the direct comparison between a multi tool and a semi-auto pistol or assault weapon.  Granted, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed (which is good, cuz a sharp tool could be a weapon).

2013-01-10 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4572499

User image

Sensei
Sin City
CitySky - 2013-01-10 12:28 PM

Nailed it.

2013-01-10 2:58 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
it doesn't matter if they have a law against knives or not, I have had screwdrivers, and box cutters and such pulled on me. So anything can become a weapon!
2013-01-10 2:58 PM
in reply to: #4572562

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Kido - 2013-01-10 2:52 PM
CitySky - 2013-01-10 12:28 PM

Nailed it.

Nails are ok to carry

2013-01-10 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4572555

User image

Kido - 

I guess I'm not seeing the connection you are trying to make on bit and can't see the the direct comparison between a multi tool and a semi-auto pistol or assault weapon.  Granted, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed (which is good, cuz a sharp tool could be a weapon).

And then you wouldn't be legal in Philadelphia.

Here's the connection I'm trying to make.

It is probably true that they passed this law as a way to deal with gang violence.
In the process, they negatively affected thousands of law abiding citizens, making it illegal for them to possess a knife or anything similar to one on the streets or public property.

I hunt. Shooting AR15s is not my thing. It's also not my business if a law abiding citizen who does use them decides that she wants to load eleven or twenty or thirty rounds instead of ten because she wants to do that at the range, or in a competition, or because she's decided that it is the best way to protect her family. 

But because she's a law abiding citizen, she'll follow the law.

In my opinion, these laws only have a deterrence on law abiding citizens, persons who are not guilty of bad behavior in the first place.

Edited by dontracy 2013-01-10 3:05 PM
2013-01-10 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4572580

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether

jford2309 - 2013-01-10 3:58 PM it doesn't matter if they have a law against knives or not, I have had screwdrivers, and box cutters and such pulled on me. So anything can become a weapon!

This^^^^ You would be amazed what can be turned into a weapon by someone with enough desire to do so.

2013-01-10 3:08 PM
in reply to: #4572555

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Kido - 2013-01-10 3:47 PM
Kido - 

Is the converse true then?  Since I WILL NOT follow, or "respect" the law about having a 1.5" knife IF it was part of my multi tool in my saddle bag of my bike, then I won't follow gun laws?  Or if I don't respect the law for shooting signal rockets or letting my donkey sleep in the bathtub?

Furthermore, how is a multi tool blade a "weapon".  Just because it has a sharp edge?  A utility knife?  Shard of glass?  I bet a bat or hammer has been used as a "weapon" far more than a multi tool blade. 

I am with you - the derailment was so much more fun.

A knife has always been a tool that is used for a variety of purposes - true, it can also be a weapon but in most aspects of domestic life we use them for non-weapon reasons.  A gun is pretty well always a weapon - a useful one for hunting but i fail to see how or why people in built up urban areas need one on their person in any way similar to a pen knife/multi-tool.

But then, i come from one of those crazy countries where we have gun control.  It works for us.  There is some legal ownership (i saw one stat of 2.9% of households have a handgun) and a very small number of thugs have managed to get a hold of them as you suggest.  That number is incredibly small - though still well-published and part of the media frenzy.  We usually know where those guns come from when they get them - usually stolen and smuggled from the US or stolen from collectors. 

2013-01-10 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4572612

User image

Champion
Chicago
juniperjen - 2013-01-10 3:08 PM

Kido - 

A knife has always been a tool that is used for a variety of purposes - true, it can also be a weapon but in most aspects of domestic life we use them for non-weapon reasons.  A gun is pretty well always a weapon - a useful one for hunting but i fail to see how or why people in built up urban areas need one on their person in any way similar to a pen knife/multi-tool.

But then, i come from one of those crazy countries where we have gun control.  It works for us.  There is some legal ownership (i saw one stat of 2.9% of households have a handgun) and a very small number of thugs have managed to get a hold of them as you suggest.  That number is incredibly small - though still well-published and part of the media frenzy.  We usually know where those guns come from when they get them - usually stolen and smuggled from the US or stolen from collectors. 

And your government hasn't yet oppressed you?
2013-01-10 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4572307

User image

Left Brain - 2013-01-10 11:19 AM
Kido - 2013-01-10 1:10 PM
dontracy - 2013-01-10 11:00 AM

Kido - non issue, IMO.

Why?

Fine, I'll play.

First, I have owned a dozen multi tools.  None of them even HAD a knife blade.  I did a quick seach, and only the mega versions with 25-30 items have one.  So I don't have one in the first place.  Non issue.

Second, if I DID.  Are cops pulling over random cyclists to check their saddle bag for multi tools that contain knives?  NO.  So not an issue.

Are cops even aware of the law - most likely not.  So another reason I don't think it's an issue.

If the cop IS aware of the law.  Most would be reasonable, like the 5-10 mph over the limit buffer and realize it's part of a multi tool kept on your bike for emergency.  They are not going to fine you.  And that's AFTER you have one, and AFTER they figure out that you have it in the first place...

IF, they wanted to stop you, search you for no reason, then fine you $300 bucks - if you took it to court, you think they would pursue it and waste court time?  Probably not.  Not an issue.

I could probably go on...

But why do you think this IS an isssue?

Don't kid yourself....they absolutely know....and they use it when they need to. 

I'm just saying.

Or want to.

2013-01-10 3:22 PM
in reply to: #4572635

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
mr2tony - 2013-01-10 4:14 PM
Kido - 

Well, we have all these high taxes and such in addition to the gun control ... we've clearly been brainwashed.  But we like it.

2013-01-10 3:31 PM
in reply to: #4572662

User image

Champion
Chicago
juniperjen - 2013-01-10 3:22 PM

mr2tony - 2013-01-10 4:14 PM
Kido - 

Well, we have all these high taxes and such in addition to the gun control ... we've clearly been brainwashed.  But we like it.

So you're saying there are governments out there that don't allow guns that aren't oppressive and tyrannical?

That's not what the NRA is selling.

2013-01-10 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4572532

User image

Pro
Goosedog - 2013-01-10 3:39 PM

BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-01-10 3:35 PM

Rather than take his knife roll, he throws his 12" chef's knife and a couple other knives into the bad and heads out to the bus. I had to explain to him that it was probably a bad idea, wrap them in a towel so the handles aren't sticking out

Good grief.  Forget the handles, this can't be good for the edges.

Uh, blade guards. If we're ever attacked by a chicken, he knows what to do.
2013-01-10 3:37 PM
in reply to: #4572589

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
dontracy - 2013-01-10 3:00 PM
Kido - 

And then you wouldn't be legal in Philadelphia.

Here's the connection I'm trying to make.

It is probably true that they passed this law as a way to deal with gang violence.
In the process, they negatively affected thousands of law abiding citizens, making it illegal for them to possess a knife or anything similar to one on the streets or public property.

I hunt. Shooting AR15s is not my thing. It's also not my business if a law abiding citizen who does use them decides that she wants to load eleven or twenty or thirty rounds instead of ten because she wants to do that at the range, or in a competition, or because she's decided that it is the best way to protect her family. 

But because she's a law abiding citizen, she'll follow the law.

In my opinion, these laws only have a deterrence on law abiding citizens, persons who are not guilty of bad behavior in the first place.

Isn't that inherrently true of any law?

2013-01-10 3:48 PM
in reply to: #4572635

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
mr2tony - 2013-01-10 1:14 PM

Kido - 

"Help, help, I'm being repressed!
2013-01-10 3:57 PM
in reply to: #4572704

User image

crowny2 - Isn't that inherrently true of any law?

Right.

So passing national legislation that prohibits a criminal or the criminally insane from using a magazine that holds more than ten rounds and what have you accomplished?

They'll still cause mayhem in a elementary school if they want to.
So what then? You get to charge them with using a banned magazine in addition to charging them with 26 counts of murder? 

Big deal.

These are just "feel good" laws that won't actually contribute to solving the problem.
In the process, they would limit the rights of law abiding citizens. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » How many cyclists in Philadelphia are breaking the city's knife laws? Rss Feed  

of 5