Other Resources My Cup of Joe » How many cyclists in Philadelphia are breaking the city's knife laws? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-01-10 4:01 PM
in reply to: #4572423

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Subject: RE: How many cyclists in Philadelphia are breaking the city's knife laws?
mr2tony - 2013-01-10 12:01 PM
trinnas - 2013-01-10 1:59 PM
Kido - 2013-01-10 2:56 PM
mr2tony - 2013-01-10 11:46 AM
dontracy - 2013-01-10 12:50 PM

There's a law in Philadelphia that makes it illegal to have a knife on your person on the street or public property.

That means any knife or instrument similar to a knife, for example a swiss army knife or multi-tool.

The only persons who may have them are those in a trade, profession, or calling
and then only if they're actually engaged in that trade, profession, or calling at the moment.

So if you're a cyclist riding in Philadelphia and you're carrying a multi-tool with a knife blade in it,
you're breaking the law if you are cycling for recreation.

So for those who now ride in Philadelphia, or who might ever consider riding in Philadelphia,
will you follow the law?

The penalty if convicted is not less than $300 and at least ninety days in jail. 

What kind of bike do you have Don? I don't see a single tool on there that I'd use to fix a bike.

I can't tell how many times I needed a corkscrew for bike repairs...  You never had a random cork fly off the road and lodge into the exposed bar end? God, if I had a nickle every time that happened.

But of course a pair of pliers or a screwdriver or a file would never ever come in handy?

I've been riding bikes for as long as I can remember and never once have I ever used a pair of pliers, a screwdriver or a file to repair one. Ever.

n=1

I've been carrying one of these with me when I go mountain biking and in the year I've had it, I've kept both myself and a riding buddy from walking home on separate occasions.

Obviously no everyone will need it, but I personally would prefer the option.

2013-01-10 4:05 PM
in reply to: #4572230

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: How many cyclists in Philadelphia are breaking the city's knife laws?

You'd be surprised how many cities have "knife laws"......in mine you can't have a folding knife, or dagger, with a blade longer than 4 inches.  Also no switchblades, butterfly knives, etc.

My bet would be that most cities have at least one "knife control" law.

2013-01-10 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4572743

User image

Sensei
Sin City
dontracy - 2013-01-10 1:57 PM

crowny2 - Isn't that inherrently true of any law?

Right.

So passing national legislation that prohibits a criminal or the criminally insane from using a magazine that holds more than ten rounds and what have you accomplished?

They'll still cause mayhem in a elementary school if they want to.
So what then? You get to charge them with using a banned magazine in addition to charging them with 26 counts of murder? 

Big deal.

These are just "feel good" laws that won't actually contribute to solving the problem.
In the process, they would limit the rights of law abiding citizens. 

If you extrapolate.  Can you say since good people are going to be good anyway.  And bad people are going to be bad and ignore laws anyway...  Why not leave order up to people's own discretion?  We don't need laws if good will be good and bad will ignore them anyway.

2013-01-10 4:09 PM
in reply to: #4572759

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Left Brain - 2013-01-10 2:05 PM

You'd be surprised how many cities have "knife laws"......in mine you can't have a folding knife, or dagger, with a blade longer than 4 inches.  Also no switchblades, butterfly knives, etc.

I never understood some of those laws for switchblades and butterfly knives.

Maybe they just seem scarier/intimidating so they pass laws?  I loved my butterfly knife and could do the tricks.  But to ME, it's the same as any folding knife where the blade folds into the handle.  In this case, if folds into two halves of the handle.  What is the difference?

2013-01-10 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4572760

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Kido - If you extrapolate.  Can you say since good people are going to be good anyway.  And bad people are going to be bad and ignore laws anyway...  Why not leave order up to people's own discretion?  We don't need laws if good will be good and bad will ignore them anyway.

I understand what you're saying.

Look, the Philadelphia knife law is stupid.  It won't stop gangs or criminals from using knives.
It will however stop me from possessing one when I'm in the city. Apparently, I'm the only one it will stop. 

Magazine restrictions or "assault weapons" bans, whatever an "assault weapon" is, equally have no effect on what they purport to intend to do. For example, they had no effect in CT.

So I think these laws are just about helping people "feel good",
and when the next round of mayhem happens despite the laws, there will be a call for even more restrictions. 

edited to add: I guess it will stop Tony too.
Me and Tony, that's it. 

Edited by dontracy 2013-01-10 4:18 PM
2013-01-10 5:07 PM
in reply to: #4572777

User image

NC
dontracy - 2013-01-10 5:13 PM

It will however stop me from possessing one when I'm in the city.

Don, are there laws that you are willing to, let's say, bend just a little?  Say 5mph or so over the speed limit on the highway? 

2013-01-10 5:15 PM
in reply to: #4572765

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Kido - 2013-01-10 3:09 PM
Left Brain - 2013-01-10 2:05 PM

I never understood some of those laws for switchblades and butterfly knives.

Maybe they just seem scarier/intimidating so they pass laws?  I loved my butterfly knife and could do the tricks.  But to ME, it's the same as any folding knife where the blade folds into the handle.  In this case, if folds into two halves of the handle.  What is the difference?

The butterfly knife is scary, kinda like a collapsible stock and a pistol grip.

2013-01-10 5:21 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
dontracy - 2013-01-10 3:13 PM

Kido - If you extrapolate.  Can you say since good people are going to be good anyway.  And bad people are going to be bad and ignore laws anyway...  Why not leave order up to people's own discretion?  We don't need laws if good will be good and bad will ignore them anyway.

Look, the Philadelphia knife law is stupid.  It won't stop gangs or criminals from using knives.
It will however stop me from possessing one when I'm in the city. Apparently, I'm the only one it will stop. 

Magazine restrictions or "assault weapons" bans, whatever an "assault weapon" is, equally have no effect on what they purport to intend to do. For example, they had no effect in CT.

and when the next round of mayhem happens despite the laws, there will be a call for even more restrictions. 

Me and Tony, that's it. 

I believe that is the point.

2013-01-10 5:32 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
dontracy - 2013-01-10 4:13 PM

Me and Tony, that's it. 

I don't need a law to tell me it's a bad idea to carry a deadly weapon around.
2013-01-10 6:32 PM

User image

Pro
dontracy - 2013-01-10 5:13 PM

Me and Tony, that's it. 

If this law was enacted in 1968, you need to look at the context in which it was enacted. Philadelphia's Black Mafia was started at that time to take over organized crime. Gang violence was on a serious upswing. I'm sure this was enacted to specifically address those problems. And, now, 43 year later, we still have that law on the books. It's already been pointed out how many laws remain in place even though they seem absurd by today's standards.

2013-01-10 7:14 PM
in reply to: #4572926

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
mr2tony - 2013-01-10 6:32 PM
dontracy - 2013-01-10 4:13 PM

Me and Tony, that's it. 

I don't need a law to tell me it's a bad idea to carry a deadly weapon around.

That's odd I have carried a deadly weapon around on numerous occasions for various reasons. I have never had any problem.

2013-01-11 7:34 AM
in reply to: #4572230

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Confused: do we have any evidence that the owner of the gun used at Sandy Hook wasn't a "law abiding citizen?"
2013-01-11 7:36 AM
in reply to: #4572255

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

flip18436572 - 2013-01-10 1:00 PM Another good reason to stay out of Philadelphia.

What they said ^^

2013-01-11 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4573483

User image

Pro
Bevie - 2013-01-11 8:36 AM

flip18436572 - 2013-01-10 1:00 PM Another good reason to stay out of Philadelphia.

What they said ^^

Fine, we don't want you anyway, so nyah!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » How many cyclists in Philadelphia are breaking the city's knife laws? Rss Feed  

of 5